KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Your Familiars  (Read 1335 times)  

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
  • Renaissance Geek
    • View Profile
    • RickGualtieri.com
Re: Your Familiars
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 11:36:18 AM »
So cute. Are they American bulldogs?

Good eye. Yes they are.

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
Rick Gualtieri | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Bill The Vampire on Facebook | YouTube

Offline Pacman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Leo Nix
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 04:32:22 PM »
every winter my back manx cat competes with my laptop for my lap when I'm writing, annoying but cute. In summer she doesn't want to know me :(

post-apocalypse anyone?
Leo Nix | web

Online Stacy Claflin

• Seattle-ish
  • Run like you have to get to the library
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Claflin, Author
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 04:48:47 PM »
I love these posts! (It's enough to pull me from lurk-dom!) This is Lilly:

USA Today bestselling author of The Gone Trilogy & Dean's List: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Free Books

Offline Joseph Malik

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
    • Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 05:07:58 PM »

Our executive protection & estate security team.

The big one, an American Bulldog from Boyd's, is bonded to me; he often sits beside me while I write. Slayer of coyotes, chaser of bears, bane of deer casing the garden, he holds the title of Undisputed Dog Park Wrestling Champion. He is also the local vet's first call for emergency blood donations. I have never seen a braver animal. He growls at thunder. He was the inspiration behind my MC's warhorse, Perseus.

The, um, "small" one (65 lbs., exactly half the mass of the big one) never leaves my wife's side except to run with me some mornings and to "play gargoyle" as we call it: sitting and looking out a window at the property, pulling security and telling the big one when it's time to go to work. She's a Boxer-Bullmastiff cross, and as clownish and playful as those two breeds can get, but damn if she didn't understand her job the moment she got to the property as a puppy. Her first day with us, she went over to the fenceline and walked it for a bit, sniffing the air, staring out at the valley, and just scoping things out. You could almost see her thinking, Yeah, I can work with this. Bounded perimeter, multiple chokepoints, ideal observation post over there under the bamboo . . . She took to professional protection training with alacrity and aplomb. We leave their crates open (the big one has a corral we built for him in an alcove), and at night we hear her pacing the house in the dark, doing regular rounds. My wife refers to her as "The Silent Avenger."
Dragon's Trail: 100%

The New Magic - Draft 4: 50%

Hardcover now available.
Writing and Fighting with Joseph Malik | Website | Blog| Mailing List

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 05:34:32 PM »
<-----
<-----
<-----

Sometimes I can't figure out if she's very stupid or very (very) smart.  But since she's got ME wrapped around her finger.....
Jena

Online MyraScott

• South Carolina
  • Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 07:07:40 PM »
Charleston Q Derpadog.   Charlie to his friends. Always alert for the fridge door opening...

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 08:27:07 PM »
Charleston Q Derpadog.   Charlie to his friends. Always alert for the fridge door opening...

Aww. :)

Their hearing is amazing, isn't it? I can spend two hours banging stuff around in the kitchen, and they sleep right through it, but if I move one of their treat canisters an inch across the counter, making -- I swear -- no sound whatsoever, it's all paws on deck.