Author Topic: Australia is my new friend!  (Read 584 times)  

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
Australia is my new friend!
« on: September 12, 2017, 11:10:03 PM »
Sales have been down since the awful weather conditions in the States, but always my US sales have been higher than anywhere else, a lot higher. Today, Book Report tells me 91% of income is from Australia! I am gobsmacked, flabbergasted, astonished and amazed.

I did a boosted facebook post last week which had Australia in the audience, so fingers crossed I can do it again.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group | Comic Covers

Offline Anita Chance

• View Profile
Re: Australia is my new friend!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 11:18:40 PM »
That makes me smile ... hello from down under ... I hope you continue to get many Australian sales!!!

I've never tried a 'boosted facebook post' before and now you have got me curious. I assume it is something you pay for? If you don't mind me asking, is it worth trying, in your opinion? My books are still very new (about a week) and have no reviews as yet, so I don't know if I should wait until I (hopefully fingers crossed and all that) have reviews so that people will actually be confident about trying a new author before spending money.

Now would be a good time to ask if there are any threads on this sort of thing that anyone might be able to direct me to. I am new to kboards and still a bit lost.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 11:21:25 PM by Anita Chance »

Anita Chance | Facebook

Offline Anita Chance

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 11:27:16 PM »
I just had a look at your author page. Congratulations on winning the 'e festival of words' 2017 Best Romance for The Lady's Minstrel and Best Historical for Once Loved.

That is very cool!

Anita Chance | Facebook

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:33:00 PM »
Sales have been down since the awful weather conditions in the States, but always my US sales have been higher than anywhere else, a lot higher. Today, Book Report tells me 91% of income is from Australia! I am gobsmacked, flabbergasted, astonished and amazed.

I did a boosted facebook post last week which had Australia in the audience, so fingers crossed I can do it again.

Fantastic! I've always enjoyed good sales from Australia, but last month's BookBub pushed it up a long way and like you my US sales are suffering, but Canada, Australia and UK have all stepped into the breach and instead of falling sales I have new highs. I also think there is new life in the 'wide' arena these days.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 11:33:20 PM »
That makes me smile ... hello from down under ... I hope you continue to get many Australian sales!!!

I've never tried a 'boosted facebook post' before and now you have got me curious. I assume it is something you pay for? If you don't mind me asking, is it worth trying, in your opinion? My books are still very new (about a week) and have no reviews as yet, so I don't know if I should wait until I (hopefully fingers crossed and all that) have reviews so that people will actually be confident about trying a new author before spending money.

Now would be a good time to ask if there are any threads on this sort of thing that anyone might be able to direct me to. I am new to kboards and still a bit lost.
Well, I've heard people declare that boosted posts don't work, but then I've heard other people say that they do. So, again, it's not the ad but what it is being advertised. I had the honour of winning two sections of the e festival awards last week and I posted about it on my facebook page and boosted it. That's the only one that went out to Australia specifically, as well as other countries. Yesterday, I put up another post showing a cover reveal for my new book, and that went to people who like my page and their friends. It's had a lot of attention, but then I have a lot of likes.

If you are starting, try a boosted post about one of your books, but direct it to a specific audience, remembering to use bestselling authors in your genre as part of your target. See how it goes. It only costs $10 for 7 days, so worth a gamble. As to reviews, I don't bother too much about them. If I get them and they're good ones, great. If they're not good ones, I don't read them!

Of course, it could be my daughter who lives in Perth telling all her friends, but I don't think she has that many friends in the whole country! :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 11:35:07 PM by Doglover »

Offline Anita Chance

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 06:47:30 PM »
Well, I've heard people declare that boosted posts don't work, but then I've heard other people say that they do. So, again, it's not the ad but what it is being advertised. I had the honour of winning two sections of the e festival awards last week and I posted about it on my facebook page and boosted it. That's the only one that went out to Australia specifically, as well as other countries. Yesterday, I put up another post showing a cover reveal for my new book, and that went to people who like my page and their friends. It's had a lot of attention, but then I have a lot of likes.

If you are starting, try a boosted post about one of your books, but direct it to a specific audience, remembering to use bestselling authors in your genre as part of your target. See how it goes. It only costs $10 for 7 days, so worth a gamble. As to reviews, I don't bother too much about them. If I get them and they're good ones, great. If they're not good ones, I don't read them!

Of course, it could be my daughter who lives in Perth telling all her friends, but I don't think she has that many friends in the whole country! :)

Haha - your comment about your daughter made me laugh.

Thank you for your answer and your tips on how to boost posts. I didn't realize it was only $10 so it is definitely worth the gamble!! Now I just have to research the crap out of it so I can make that $10 work to maximum advantage!!

Re reviews .... I find the whole process terrifying. Waiting to find out if people like your book or not - it ties me up in knots. I write under another pen name in a different genre, and have lots of wonderful reviews that untied me, and gave me the confidence to continue writing, but it is scary trying something new!!

No doubt I will remain in this state until I have (hopefully) some reviews to let me know if I am on the right track.

Thanks again for getting back to me. I'm off to research so I can boost my posts. (I don't even have a page yet - I assume it is posts on pages you can boost.)

Anita Chance | Facebook

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 10:13:02 PM »
Haha - your comment about your daughter made me laugh.

Thank you for your answer and your tips on how to boost posts. I didn't realize it was only $10 so it is definitely worth the gamble!! Now I just have to research the crap out of it so I can make that $10 work to maximum advantage!!

Re reviews .... I find the whole process terrifying. Waiting to find out if people like your book or not - it ties me up in knots. I write under another pen name in a different genre, and have lots of wonderful reviews that untied me, and gave me the confidence to continue writing, but it is scary trying something new!!

No doubt I will remain in this state until I have (hopefully) some reviews to let me know if I am on the right track.

Thanks again for getting back to me. I'm off to research so I can boost my posts. (I don't even have a page yet - I assume it is posts on pages you can boost.)

You must have a business page (i.e. an author page) in order to use the boost post option and of course, you have to have a personal fb page to have the author page. If you have no likes, you will need to choose an audience from various countries, US, UK, Canada, Australia are the main ones to concentrate on and the age range and gender of your audience. Also, a famous author or two in your own genre. I always use Philippa Gregory, although I don't read her books but she is a best seller in my genre.

Good luck with it.

Offline Spin52

• Seattle and Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
    • Amazon author page
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 07:46:43 AM »
You must have a business page (i.e. an author page) in order to use the boost post option and of course, you have to have a personal fb page to have the author page. If you have no likes, you will need to choose an audience from various countries, US, UK, Canada, Australia are the main ones to concentrate on and the age range and gender of your audience. Also, a famous author or two in your own genre. I always use Philippa Gregory, although I don't read her books but she is a best seller in my genre.

Good luck with it.
Actually, you don't have to have a personal FB page to have an author one. I only have the author one. But your advice is good and I may try a boosted FB ad for my new book -- they've been pestering me for long enough to do it.

Tradtional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes
Facebook | Amazon author page

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 08:43:11 AM »
I find that Ozzies have a particular interest in military topics, so that's been good for me, since I do as well.

Sadly, CreateSpace paperbacks aren't sold on the Oz store. Seems an odd oversight on Amazon's part, assuming there is a POD facility in the country, as surely there must be.

18 million English readers in Oz. That's more than in China (15 million).

(I should add that the first 14 days of September have been a blow-out for me on Amazon.com, with sales up 50 percent over July and August.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:44:51 AM by notjohn »
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 10:23:26 PM »
Actually, you don't have to have a personal FB page to have an author one. I only have the author one. But your advice is good and I may try a boosted FB ad for my new book -- they've been pestering me for long enough to do it.
Of course, that's why you can't make friends on facebook isn't it? I forgot.

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 04:10:59 AM »
18 million English readers in Oz.

Is that all? What about the other 6 million people? Or is the 18 mil figure more people who actively read? In which case, that's quite a good percentage.

James Lawson

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 04:24:06 AM »
I continue to see Australian sales outshining the USA on Amazon and wide. Amazing!

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 04:49:59 AM »
I continue to see Australian sales outshining the USA on Amazon and wide. Amazing!

How do you get a minus? Did everyone send then back? :)

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 04:53:38 AM »
How do you get a minus? Did everyone send then back? :)

Yes, a load of 'buys' in India turned into 'sells'  hahaha!  At least I think it was them. There was thread about it last week. It will probably disappear by the end of the month into a +

Offline Acheknia

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Books by A. Woodley
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 07:23:44 AM »

I want Australia to be my new friend too (& everywhere else) :)

I totally ignored the 'Boost post' notices until I read your post, thinking that they probably wouldn't do any good but have now given it a go.

Starting with $1 per day for 7 days, (should only be about 5 or 6 quid) so not much to lose for lots of views, even if there are no immediate sales, it's a good way to see how it goes.

I've put in 7 countries so far but they wanted more dollars to reach the US, so I'll try that next time if I like the way this one goes.

I wasn't sure how to add the 'bestseller in genre' term but have just seen it in your later post, so thanks for that, great advice that I'll try in future.

Only started the boost yesterday & have been seen in Canada, UK, Germany, Holland, Spain & France so far, so even though there have been no clicks or sales yet, it's proving to be a good trial to test 'reach'.
Thanks for the advice & the prompt to actually try it. :)

Ooh, just had a thought to see latest results before actually hitting the post button, update, 1 link click, 210 people reached, 89c spent :)

The only place that hasn't been my friend yet is Australia lol.

There is so much info on the Adverts Manager but the only thing I can't find is where my link click is from, any help on how to find that would be appreciated. :) thanks.

ETA Found it, in book page insights :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 12:31:39 PM by Acheknia »