Author Topic: How to categorize/market - Cozy, Womens Fiction, Lit Fic, or???  (Read 162 times)  

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • N. Gemini Sasson
How to categorize/market - Cozy, Womens Fiction, Lit Fic, or???
« on: September 13, 2017, 11:33:33 AM »
I'm considering rebranding the covers in one of my series as I finish up the third book, so I wanted to figure out what would work best. (Yes, I'm one of *those* writers who can't stay confined within a genre.  ::) ) This is my Sam McNamee Mystery series (Memories and Matchsticks and Lies and Letters in my sig line).

I've placed it in Cozy Mysteries, as there is a mystery in each story, but there are more layers to it than that: some romance, humor, a single woman tackling life's big issues (Womens Fiction?), plus a dog (which connects it to my Lit Fic dog stories series, although the focus in this series is not really on the dog, but female MC's life).

I don't think vector cartoons like many Cozies sport would grab quite the right readers, but don't want to make them too dark or serious either. Thoughts? Examples?

Here's the blurb from the second book, to give you an idea: "There's a drug lord corrupting the youth of sleepy Wilton, Indiana -- and he'll get rid of anyone who stands in his way, including an innocent witness. Even a drug-sniffing dog.

When Sam McNamee decided to chuck her dreams of living in the Florida Keys and instead settled in rural Indiana to raise her daughter and look after her aging father, she didn't expect to be caught up in the middle of a drug ring investigation. But someone has it out for her. Or to be more precise, her dog, Bump. And they'll stop at nothing to run her out of town -- including framing her daughter.

All Sam wants is to give her relationship with veterinarian Clint Chastain a chance. But matters get complicated when Clint's ex -- sexy humanitarian Dr. Danielle Townsley -- invades Sam's territory. Clint keeps reassuring Sam that she's the one he wants, but his actions leave room for doubt. Meanwhile, firefighter Archer Malone is the one constant in Sam's roller coaster life. And he's looking better all the time.

Then, Bump disappears -- and the one person who could help her find him is the same one she's trying to avoid
."

N. Gemini Sasson | Website | Blog | Facebook

Offline Red Riley

• Chicago
  • Red Riley #1: Chicago Blue, coming in September
    • View Profile
    • RedRileyBooks.com
Re: How to categorize/market - Cozy, Womens Fiction, Lit Fic, or???
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 11:41:35 AM »
There is a Kindle>Romance>Mystery category. Has J.D. Robb and others in it. Your description certainly makes it sound like there is both danger and relationships in the books.

PS- love those dog covers!!
Chicago Blue: 95%

Diamond White: 70%

Solid Gold: 0%
Red Riley | Red Riley

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • N. Gemini Sasson
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 12:50:06 PM »
There is a Kindle>Romance>Mystery category. Has J.D. Robb and others in it. Your description certainly makes it sound like there is both danger and relationships in the books.

PS- love those dog covers!!

Thanks! I hadn't considered taking it from the other angle. It's usually more of a HFN ending, but that could work. I'll take a look at some of those.

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • N. Gemini Sasson
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »
Romantic Comedy is the other genre that might fit. I'm thinking like Tracy Brogan's Bell Harbor series. There's danger, but hopefully my readers laugh at certain parts.  ;D