KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Does MailChimp require a non-free email provider?  (Read 629 times)  

Online RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
Does MailChimp require a non-free email provider?
« on: September 13, 2017, 02:49:20 PM »
Is that why Mailchimp refuses to work for me? Because I'm using an @yahoo.com account? I can't think of any other possible explanation. I've tried signing up with MailerLite and SendPulse, only to realize both require me to have a paid, professional email account. That's not yet another expense I need right now. But no matter what I do, I CANNOT GET MAILCHIMP TO WORK. Yes, I'm screaming like a child because I am so frustrated and I must be the stupidest SOB in the world. I've even posted about this before and I thought perhaps it just wasn't working because I was on a free, blogspot website and they weren't compatible. Well now I'm on a paid Wordpress.org account and I'm running into the same exact gosh-darn-freaking-PROBLEM.

The form shows up fine on my website, looking good. So I test it out with one of my other email accounts. And then, NOTHING happens. No pop-up asking me to verify. No email telling me thanks for the subscription. And on my Mailchimp account, no new subscriptions. Nothing. Nada. Zip. I've posted about this on various forms, tried literally everything anyone has suggested and it just does.not.work.

And now it seems Help from Mailchimp is only for Paid Premium members? What kind of bullcrap is that?
thepixiechronicles.com

Online RBN

• View Profile
Re: Does MailChimp require a non-free email provider?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:17:28 PM »
https://blog.mailchimp.com/yahoo-changes-may-affect-your-deliverability/

I haven't had a problem with the one Mailchimp account I use with a Gmail address (although more mailings than my domain email accounts no doubt get filtered because I can't edit site settings for DNS/TXT to make the authentication ironclad).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:23:30 PM by RBN »

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 03:21:51 PM »
I use my server domain email for the authentication and it works fine.

Did you try test sending a newsletter from within Mailchimp to your email account?
Did you run through the verify your domain steps https://kb.mailchimp.com/accounts/email-authentication/verify-a-domain ?
Are you using your server domain email?

I saw in the link I gave the following warning:

Due to DMARC policies of free email providers, domains like yahoo.com, aol.com, and gmail.com can no longer be added to your verified domains.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:25:54 PM by C. Gold »

Online RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:24:31 PM »
I use Hotmail and it works fine.

Did you try test sending a newsletter from within Mailchimp to your email account?
Did you run through the verify your domain steps https://kb.mailchimp.com/accounts/email-authentication/verify-a-domain ?

Yes, I have tried everything. I'm so sick of having a million emails, but I'm going to sign up for one through Outlook and see if that helps. I've stuck with yahoo since middle school and never had problems, I hate that it's gone the way of the Dodo.
thepixiechronicles.com

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »
Yes, I have tried everything. I'm so sick of having a million emails, but I'm going to sign up for one through Outlook and see if that helps. I've stuck with yahoo since middle school and never had problems, I hate that it's gone the way of the Dodo.
My bad - I thought I used Hotmail but realized it was talking about the FROM email address. In that case I use my web hosted email account which will have no issues. I'd go with trying to add email on your domain if you weren't provided email. (That will save you in the long run in case Hotmail goes on that list of bad.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:31:33 PM by C. Gold »

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 03:40:58 PM »
For what it's worth, I feel your pain. At first I was going to do all the newsletter stuff myself since I'm ok at web stuff and was doing well finding plugins. Then I ran into the convoluted mess that sending an email has become because of all the SPAMMERS out there. Thanks jerks. Sheesh. No longer can you code a simple thing and send it out... NOOOoooo. You have to jump over hoops and around fires first. Not only was I fighting to cross my own domain, I was fighting every mail client out there who said, heck no, you don't have a GUID (?? really??) and I don't like the smell of your domain and your header stuff doesn't match anyway so I'm just bouncing that right on outta here.

So, I'm not surprised to see you having a yahoo problem. Our newsletters look too similar to spam so it's all too easy to get them tossed aside or filtered.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 03:41:56 PM »
If you're expecting help from Mailchimp under a paid plan, I got news for you. My $140 a month plan never even got me a peep from them when I had problems.

I suggest you go to Mailerlite (free for up to 1000 subscribers), and use the chat function if you have trouble. They'll sort it out quickly. Depending on the time of day, their English may or may not be perfect. They have around-the-world, 24h support.

Online RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 04:06:34 PM »
My bad - I thought I used Hotmail but realized it was talking about the FROM email address. In that case I use my web hosted email account which will have no issues. I'd go with trying to add email on your domain if you weren't provided email. (That will save you in the long run in case Hotmail goes on that list of bad.)

I looked into getting an email for my domain, but that would add another $35 per month expense that I just can't justify right now :(
thepixiechronicles.com

Online RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 04:10:38 PM »
If you're expecting help from Mailchimp under a paid plan, I got news for you. My $140 a month plan never even got me a peep from them when I had problems.

I suggest you go to Mailerlite (free for up to 1000 subscribers), and use the chat function if you have trouble. They'll sort it out quickly. Depending on the time of day, their English may or may not be perfect. They have around-the-world, 24h support.

I tried MailerLite, but they refused to let me use my Yahoo account as well. I get up to the point where I have to Verify my Domain name and then halts me and won't allow my yahoo account(which I don't understand because I bought my domain under that account, so why wouldn't it work?). It has the steps for signing up with Zoho which gave me a headache just reading it.
thepixiechronicles.com

Offline JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 04:13:49 PM »
I've never had a problem using my gmail account, but I know some companies are extra suspicious of yahoo accounts.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Online boba1823

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 04:56:24 PM »
I looked into getting an email for my domain, but that would add another $35 per month expense that I just can't justify right now :(

You should really shop around.. it shouldn't be more than $5 per month.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 05:14:16 PM »
I tried MailerLite, but they refused to let me use my Yahoo account as well. I get up to the point where I have to Verify my Domain name and then halts me and won't allow my yahoo account(which I don't understand because I bought my domain under that account, so why wouldn't it work?). It has the steps for signing up with Zoho which gave me a headache just reading it.
It doesn't matter what email account you used to purchase a domain name and everything to do with the problem going on, which is authenticating the email address to be compliant with all the spam regulations that are out now.

The problem is, Mailchimp is the one doing the actual sending of the email to people on your list and stuffing your email address in the FROM header of the email. So it's saying, "Hey, I'm Mailchimp sending on behalf of YOU." That way, YOU get any replies, not Mailchimp.

This is now getting rejected because Yahoo takes one look at that and says, "SPAM!"

Unless you send the email yourself from within your Yahoo mail account, this is going to be rejected as spam even if it isn't. You need a way to construct the FROM part using an email account that doesn't trigger all the spam detectors out there.

I'd try Hotmail for now, but in general, free providers are how spammers spam their stuff which is why most places are shutting their doors to them.

Oh and I should just mention that this is important because servers who SPAM or get flagged as SPAM get blacklisted and that would be very bad for newsletter suppliers like Mailchimp or Mailerlite. This is also why email servers have #emails per time period limits so they don't get blacklisted either.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:17:34 PM by C. Gold »

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »
You should really shop around.. it shouldn't be more than $5 per month.
Yep, I've seen plenty of domains that toss in mail for free or really cheap.

http://www.hostingadvice.com/reviews/email/

Here's the one I use for $4.95/mo which lets you set up WordPress UI and plugins and has email that works with Mailchimp:
http://wwww.webhero.com/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:28:01 PM by C. Gold »

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 06:53:36 PM »
why don't you try again with a gmail account? They're free, and if that doesn't work either, then you know you're doing something wrong in the setup and it's got nothing to do with the company or the email address.

Offline TheLemontree

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
I use zoho as the email provider for the email address in the'from' section. And mail chimp is my mailing list service. And my website domain to authenticate the email address.

The only thing I pay for at the moment is the domain name and hosting.

The instructions are Byzantine, but take it slowly, one step at a time, and you'll get there eventually. There are a few step by step tutorials out there. It's not a one click process but like most computing it just involves following each step exactly (and googling what the heck the instructions mean at each step).

Sent from my GT-S7390 using Tapatalk

Stacey Wilson | Kombucha Research

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 10:42:00 PM »
I'm a bit confused. I use my Sky email address, which was taken over by Yahoo some time ago. But you seem to be talking about subscribers, and I have all sorts on my lists.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 10:54:22 PM »
I suspect this has very little to do with the email provider. Yes, Mailerlite requires that you verify your domain (forgot about that, but then, I've had this email and domain since 1994--don't ask), but not all services do that. Mailchimp does not require it. I never verified my domain with them, despite being a paid customer.

It seems there is something in the OP's process that is not working. She is not talking about verification, just about setting up signup forms and testing them with another address. Without seeing what she is doing, I can't even begin to guess what it is. But I may be smoking something, and maybe it is yahoo. In that case, try a gmail address.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 11:24:26 PM »
I suspect this has very little to do with the email provider. Yes, Mailerlite requires that you verify your domain (forgot about that, but then, I've had this email and domain since 1994--don't ask), but not all services do that. Mailchimp does not require it. I never verified my domain with them, despite being a paid customer.

It seems there is something in the OP's process that is not working. She is not talking about verification, just about setting up signup forms and testing them with another address. Without seeing what she is doing, I can't even begin to guess what it is. But I may be smoking something, and maybe it is yahoo. In that case, try a gmail address.
It does seem to me that the OP is not setting up the sign up forms properly. Now you mention it, the reason I didn't bother with Mailerlite was that they wanted a domain email address. Mailchimp has never wanted that.

Online RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 07:35:35 AM »
I don't know how I could possibly be setting up the form incorrectly. I've followed tutorials to a T, and the form shows up perfectly on my website as it should. It's only when I go to subscribe to myself (with a different email, still yahoo, but not the one I made my account with) that absolutely nothing happens. I can't risk leaving the form up knowing that subscriptions might not be going through.

In any case, I've signed up for a Gmail account and I'm working on crawling my way through that Zoho tutorial to try to get a free domain email to try a few more options. If everyone wasn't constantly saying how important a mailing list is I would have given up by now. This is by far the most frustrating thing I've gone through in trying to get my website and marketing up to speed.
thepixiechronicles.com

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »
For what it's worth, I use Mailchimp and have subscribers with all different kinds of email addresses.

The only thing Mailchimp warns about is the from address on the newsletter, as others have said. I have a domain email from my website, so I just switch to that, but I notice Mailchimp now offers a substitute email address it creates (that presumably then forwards to yours).

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 10:22:03 PM »
I don't know how I could possibly be setting up the form incorrectly. I've followed tutorials to a T, and the form shows up perfectly on my website as it should. It's only when I go to subscribe to myself (with a different email, still yahoo, but not the one I made my account with) that absolutely nothing happens. I can't risk leaving the form up knowing that subscriptions might not be going through.

In any case, I've signed up for a Gmail account and I'm working on crawling my way through that Zoho tutorial to try to get a free domain email to try a few more options. If everyone wasn't constantly saying how important a mailing list is I would have given up by now. This is by far the most frustrating thing I've gone through in trying to get my website and marketing up to speed.
Do you want to try putting a link on here so that members can try it out for you? That's what I did when I first set up my mailing list, just to make sure it was all working properly.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 10:48:45 PM »
Do you want to try putting a link on here so that members can try it out for you? That's what I did when I first set up my mailing list, just to make sure it was all working properly.
This is a good idea. I'd help by signing up.