Author Topic: Dignity of Work: Support Authors Affected by the Hurricanes  (Read 348 times)  

Offline CynthiaClay

• View Profile
    • Cynthia Joyce Clay
Dignity of Work: Support Authors Affected by the Hurricanes
« on: September 17, 2017, 09:47:27 AM »
I live in Miami, which did not receive the brunt of Irma, still had 100 mph winds for about 30 hours. As a result my family and I had no power for a solid week in the sweltering 90+ temperatures. In Miami it often is 90+ degrees in the middle of the night. During that week there was a boil water order but we had no power to boil water. (Yes, I got diarrhea before I knew of the boil water order).The storm tore off roof tiles downed all the branches from our trees, smashing the windshield of our car. A side fence fell down. My mother is  91 and often has "accidents." She got frightened of the dark and so decided to poop in the hallway. Imagine cleaning up a floor covered in feces and urine while the wind rages and the roof begins to leak. We have insurance, but there is a $7,000 deductible. Our damage was not enough to warrant a claim, but near it. Plus we had to buy hurricane groceries, stay a night in a hotel when we could not endure another night of no sleep, buy gas at price gauging prices and hire people to put up the wood around our windows and help clear away the tons of branches all over our property. And we are among the lucky ones! In Andrew we had neither power nor water. Let me tell you having water makes a big difference, even if you can't drink it or brush your teeth with it.

So I am starting this thread to alert readers the best way to help those of us affected by the hurricanes but don't need the FEMA, Red Cross, or other disaster assistance is to support our writing. Also, having a space hurricane affected writers can tell about what they have endured helps to relieve the intense stress. Writers don't add a new link to your books. Let the book covers in your signatures be enough for readers who like your genre to find your books. Let's just identify ourselves as hurricane affected writers and tell of our experiences.

One of the best things about getting the power back is being able to get back to writing!

Thank your everyone for letting me express what I've been coping with and for supporting me in my writing.

Thanks for supporting my art.
Cynthia Joyce Clay | Cynthia Joyce Clay's Blog | Plays I've Filmed | Cynthia Joyce Clay's Blog

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
Re: Dignity of Work: Support Authors Affected by the Hurricanes
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 02:37:46 PM »
I'm in FL on the space coast. We got water back after a couple days. Electricity took until yesterday (Monday, 9/18) which is also when they declared our water drinkable without boiling. Minor wind damage to our pool enclosure and a couple of gutters down. The biggest losses are the food we lost from the freezer compartmentss of two refrigerators and a standup freezer and the fact that two of those appliances gave out after not running for a week. (They're old.) The A/C in my music/writing studio went out today.

But our losses were nothing compared to those poor folks in the islands who lost everything. And now they're getting hit again.

My heart and admiration go out to the workers who came here from other states to help us. We had transients working our situation from Michigan and New Mexico, and there were many others working tirelessly and endlessly to restore power across the state. I wish I knew a way to make their generosity and humanity go viral. Bless them.

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 02:51:12 PM »
So sorry to hear you were both affected by Irma, Cynthia and Al. :(

Offline CynthiaClay

• View Profile
    • Cynthia Joyce Clay
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 11:02:50 AM »
I'm in FL on the space coast. We got water back after a couple days. Electricity took until yesterday (Monday, 9/18) which is also when they declared our water drinkable without boiling. Minor wind damage to our pool enclosure and a couple of gutters down. The biggest losses are the food we lost from the freezer compartmentss of two refrigerators and a standup freezer and the fact that two of those appliances gave out after not running for a week. (They're old.) The A/C in my music/writing studio went out today.

But our losses were nothing compared to those poor folks in the islands who lost everything. And now they're getting hit again.

My heart and admiration go out to the workers who came here from other states to help us. We had transients working our situation from Michigan and New Mexico, and there were many others working tirelessly and endlessly to restore power across the state. I wish I knew a way to make their generosity and humanity go viral. Bless them.

Thanks so much for posting! When it is 90+ outside and 100+ inside, you really value that ac. Puerto Rico has asked for generators to be sent over. Can you imagine? Don't feel guilty that others suffered worse. One can always find someone who suffered worse. No amount of suffering should be swept under the rug. It's good to express it, and it's great to be introduced to an author I did not know about before! Be sure to fill out a FEMA form. They do have hotels available for people with no ac. And yes, these electricians who have come all the way to Florida tohelp us, oh yes, they are wonderful!

Thanks for supporting my art.
Cynthia Joyce Clay | Cynthia Joyce Clay's Blog | Plays I've Filmed | Cynthia Joyce Clay's Blog