KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: New 10" Fire tablet  (Read 2444 times)  

Offline NightReader

• View Profile
Re: New 10" Fire tablet
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 10:20:45 AM »
I caved on this one because I thought having a bigger screen would be more enjoyable for games and videos, and maybe light reading.  (I'm a big fan of the HD 8.)

My first thoughts on this one is that the screen is nice, but it's a wee bit heavier than I expected. And the weight seems to be distributed oddly, so I haven't found a good way to hold it.  I'm debating whether a case would help with that.

Also, I think it is still doing adaptive lighting, even though I turned that off (or at least I think I turned it off).

So, the jury is still out on this one.  It's not the instant winner I expected. 

Offline Scarpad

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 02:17:10 PM »
ive decided to send mine back the screen is definitely better than last years but i still find it way to dim to watch videos at a comfortable level unless you turn the brightness all the way up
which I'm sure kills battery life, maybe I'm just too used to the 2017 iPad, it's plenty bright even at mid levels, and the adaptive brightness really had no effect, darker movies and videos are tuff to watch

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »
I thought it would be better to watch videos because of the bigger screen. It's not. I'm not going to send it back. I'll just get used to it. No big deal for me.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline NightReader

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 02:40:26 PM »
So, I turned off the "always on" Alexa in the settings while setting it up and the little ear with an x beside it is in the settings row at the top.  But, when I asked Alexa to turn on my bedroom light earlier, it answered anyway, instead of my bedroom Echo.

I even tested it. It is answering, with the setting turned off.  Now, I'm not one of those tinfoil hat people who think that means "they" are listening to me, but it isn't supposed to be that way.  And, it probably means I'm not imagining the lighting issue. 

I'm leaning towards sending it back now.  Then, I wouldn't feel so bad about the extra money to buy a new Oasis, so it would still be a "win" for Amazon.

Editing to add:  I played with it some more last night and rebooted it.  It did quite a bit of optimizing, maybe 5 minutes or so.  Since then, I don't think it has answered an Alexa request while hands-free is turned off.  So, if that happens to anyone else, I would suggest rebooting.  I think maybe the firmware update didn't quite complete when it updated. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:05:37 AM by NightReader »

Offline Felisia

• Fluffy Kitties are Bestest
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 02:25:52 PM »
I'm leaning over the fence to buy the new Fire tab. My old kindle isn't cutting it anymore and the prospect of a bigger screen is really enticing. But I'm reading that its much heavier than expected. That has me a little concerned because I want to buy one for my mom too and she can't really hold anything too heavy because of her arthritis. I guess I'll have to try it at any rate to find out if its ok!

Offline NightReader

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2017, 01:39:51 PM »
I put mine in a case and that makes it a little heavier, but I think it is easier to hold that way. 

I'm kind of curious if it would be easy to hold with a Decal Girl decal on it to make it less slippery. Then, there wouldn't be any extra weight from a case. 

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2017, 02:29:14 PM »
So, I turned off the "always on" Alexa in the settings while setting it up and the little ear with an x beside it is in the settings row at the top.  But, when I asked Alexa to turn on my bedroom light earlier, it answered anyway, instead of my bedroom Echo.

I even tested it. It is answering, with the setting turned off.  Now, I'm not one of those tinfoil hat people who think that means "they" are listening to me, but it isn't supposed to be that way.  And, it probably means I'm not imagining the lighting issue. 

I'm leaning towards sending it back now.  Then, I wouldn't feel so bad about the extra money to buy a new Oasis, so it would still be a "win" for Amazon.

Editing to add:  I played with it some more last night and rebooted it.  It did quite a bit of optimizing, maybe 5 minutes or so.  Since then, I don't think it has answered an Alexa request while hands-free is turned off.  So, if that happens to anyone else, I would suggest rebooting.  I think maybe the firmware update didn't quite complete when it updated.

Thanks for this. I didn't know I could turn Alexa off on the tablet. I'll do that tonight because it keeps picking up things like reminders that I'm trying to put on the Dot in another room. That's okay except that it doesn't do reminders and then I have to walk right up to the Dot and give it the reminder.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline CarolineAM

• Bay Shore, NY
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Page on Facebook
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »
I recently upgraded from the HDX 7", but the jury is still out on this one. It doesn't seem to hold a charge all that well.  I'm not sure if it is just my device or this model all together....
>^..^<   CarolineAM
Kindle Voyage, Oasis, New Oasis
Kindle Fire 7" HDX and 6" HD