KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: 3000 Words a Day Club  (Read 10403 times)  

Offline jaehaerys

• View Profile
3000 Words a Day Club
« on: September 24, 2017, 01:58:40 PM »
Kboards already has a "Thousand Words a Day Club", but I thought it might worth starting a thread targeting a minimum of 3000 words per day. I'd given up on writing to word counts as of late, but I've been re-evaluating and thinking that the career-sustaining pace for self-publishing is probably putting out a novel every two months or so.

At 3000 words a day you could pound out a rough draft in a month. Another month for revisions and you could potentially put out a novel every other month. Don't get me wrong, targeting a minimum of a thousand words a day is nothing to sneeze at, but I like the idea of being accountable to a more accelerated pace of production.

Anyway, if anyone's interested we could post here everyday, once we've reached our daily 3000 word quota as a means of encouragement. Or not. lol  :P  But I thought it might be worth a try. And I'll start: I'm happy to report I've completed 3,392 words for the day. My brain is shot and I'm happy. How about you?

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
Re: 3000 Words a Day Club
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 02:01:50 PM »
Bad.. Bad, bad, bad ...  :P :P :P

You would do this when I am just starting to average 2000 a day.
Fate's Fallen: 100%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 45%

Evolution's Child: 100%
Dean Rencraft | Website

Offline hjordisa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 02:12:26 PM »
... I'm in. I should probably just go to the 1000 a day club since I write slowly at the moment, but I'd rather shoot for 3k and fail. Although word count goals have never worked for me either. Maybe this time. I have many words to write.

But I'll start tomorrow. I've written 600 today, want to write 500 more, and then I have some editing and brainstorming to do. So I'll start reporting my massive failures tomorrow. :)

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
Or you could just record your numbers in the other thread like everyone else does.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline jaehaerys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 02:39:07 PM »
Bad.. Bad, bad, bad ...  :P :P :P

You would do this when I am just starting to average 2000 a day.

Shoot, sorry about that!  :P  What's another 1000 words?  :-X  You can do it!

Offline jaehaerys

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »
Or you could just record your numbers in the other thread like everyone else does.

Yes, this is true, but I'm just trying to leave myself with fewer outs. I know it's probably silly, but I know if I try to make myself accountable to the "Thousand Words" thread I'll justify letting myself off the hook on the days I don't feel like pushing for 3k words because after all, I'd made the "thousand", I'm gold. I don't want to let that happen, and I know the lazy writer within me will make justifications out the wazoo allowing it to happen. I am not strong. :P

With a 3000 words thread I'll have an easier time holding myself accountable to that count, but of course, that's just me...different strokes.

Offline jaehaerys

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 02:45:26 PM »
... I'm in. I should probably just go to the 1000 a day club since I write slowly at the moment, but I'd rather shoot for 3k and fail. Although word count goals have never worked for me either. Maybe this time. I have many words to write.

But I'll start tomorrow. I've written 600 today, want to write 500 more, and then I have some editing and brainstorming to do. So I'll start reporting my massive failures tomorrow. :)

Glad to have you! You can do it!  8)

Online W.R. Gingell

• Tasmania, Australia
  • I like tea
    • View Profile
    • The WR(ite) Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 08:12:54 PM »
I'm in! I've been planning on trying a regular 3k per day since I can do a maximum of 8k but NOT continually. So 3k seems like a good middle ground. So far I've been doing roughly 2k per day, which is comfortable (more or less) and sustainable (more or less).

So now to push myself.

Only caveat for me is that I don't write on Sundays.

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 09:56:59 PM »

Shoot, sorry about that!  :P  What's another 1000 words?  :-X  You can do it!

Coffee + Keyboard=bad! I usually write up to 5k but I am have having some issues lately lol .. Can I at least have until morning?!

Dean Rencraft | Website

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 09:59:47 PM »
I'm wanting to join in considering the days I hit 2500+ words I feel GREAT! But it's tough for me.
Blood Cauldron (DoH book 3): 93%
H.C. Harrington

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 10:02:33 PM »
I'm wanting to join in considering the days I hit 2500+ words I feel GREAT! But it's tough for me.

I'll give you a cookie for each day you make the count!

Dean Rencraft | Website

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 10:20:45 PM »
 8)

I'll give you a cookie for each day you make the count!
Blood Cauldron (DoH book 3): 93%
H.C. Harrington

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 11:21:40 PM »
I would love to participate, but my Word status bar has disappeared beneath my task bar and it is very annoying as I can no longer see at a glance how many words I've done or what page I'm on. The bar is still there, because I can see the top of it, but not enough of it to see what is going on.

If anyone knows how to sort this, I would be delighted.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group

Offline rockondon

• View Profile
    • RaymondCain.com
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 11:42:49 PM »
I was pretty proud of the 1900 words I wrote today until I read this.

Although overall the day was super productive - I worked 8 hours, did a bunch of running around, did a bunch of housework, and still beat the hell out of my 1000 word/day quota.

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 12:07:40 AM »
I would love to participate, but my Word status bar has disappeared beneath my task bar and it is very annoying as I can no longer see at a glance how many words I've done or what page I'm on. The bar is still there, because I can see the top of it, but not enough of it to see what is going on.

If anyone knows how to sort this, I would be delighted.

Unlock your task bar with r/click and then grab the edge to resize it and if that doesn't work change your font/view settings to the next one lower down.

Easy fix if you don't want to mess with all of that is to hit the maximize/restore down button next to the close (x) on your window, restore down and then resize the window to fit above the taskbar by dragging the edges to the size you want. It should save that size after you do that and you wont have to change your other preferences.

Dean Rencraft | Website

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 12:27:48 AM »

Unlock your task bar with r/click and then grab the edge to resize it and if that doesn't work change your font/view settings to the next one lower down.

Easy fix if you don't want to mess with all of that is to hit the maximize/restore down button next to the close (x) on your window, restore down and then resize the window to fit above the taskbar by dragging the edges to the size you want. It should save that size after you do that and you wont have to change your other preferences.
Thanks, but after searching the internet for an answer yesterday, then giving up all hope of ever seeing my word count again, it was as simple as not having it on full page! So, I am up and running again, but I still think 3000 words might be a stretch.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 12:45:42 AM »
Thanks, but after searching the internet for an answer yesterday, then giving up all hope of ever seeing my word count again, it was as simple as not having it on full page! So, I am up and running again, but I still think 3000 words might be a stretch.

;D  So second option then. lol... it will be for me too especially the way I am running right now, but if you try I will as well.

Dean Rencraft | Website

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 01:44:16 AM »
 647 ..  the hardest ones I have done in 69k!! (That should count! :P )

Shower, break and I may get some more in tonight.

Dean Rencraft | Website

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 04:39:54 AM »

Or she could start a thread that better suits her goals, like everyone else does? :D

I'm formatting/doing an editing pass right now, so I'm only doing like 100 words or less a day, so there's not much for me to talk about yet. On normal writing days, I usually hit about 2K to 2500 words, depending. Sometimes it's a bit more, sometimes less. My health has been bad for a long while, but now that I'm getting better the words are coming easier. I still have to deal with the arthritis and carpal tunnel in my hands, so really big word counts are painful and sometimes throw me off track for a couple of days to recover.

The only thing for me is I try to write five days out of seven. I normally take shopping day (Wednesday) off, because it just exhausts me, and then Sunday, since it breaks the week up evenly. Though sometimes it's different days, which I don't like because I'm trying really hard to be consistent. I have issues with being consistent. :(
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline jaehaerys

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 01:54:15 PM »
Just chiming in to say I've managed to crank out 3544 words today. So, still going strong on day 2 of the 3k words club! How 'bout you?  :)

Offline rockondon

• View Profile
    • RaymondCain.com
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 07:51:38 PM »
I don't think I've cracked 3000 words in one day ever. Not once.
Does anyone here actually write this much consistently?

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 09:28:09 PM »
I don't think I've cracked 3000 words in one day ever. Not once.
Does anyone here actually write this much consistently?

I do normally, not so much when I have a ton of other stuff to do or I am sick. Doesn't mean I don't try then.. lol .. But I get all moody and have to go back and rewrite everything so I shouldn't... But I also write best at night when I am not being distracted by everyone who wants something and I am an insomniac, so that gives me quite a few hours of uninterrupted writing.

(Edit to add: I really DO like that cover!)

Dean Rencraft | Website

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 01:43:55 AM »
*Dances a jig* 3000 and still going!!

Dean Rencraft | Website

Online W.R. Gingell

• Tasmania, Australia
  • I like tea
    • View Profile
    • The WR(ite) Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 02:50:00 AM »
Ugh, won't make it today  >:(

For kinda good reason, I s'pose--I did 8 hours at the day job, and just released the 2nd book in my Time Traveller's Best Friend series today, along with having a Bookbub on book 1.

I've made 2k and my head is busted ??? I'll try again tomorrow; I have another 8 hours at the day job, but no new release to shepherd  ::)

Well done to those who made it! And to everyone who made the effort, like me  :-*

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 02:53:31 AM »
Ugh, won't make it today  >:(

For kinda good reason, I s'pose--I did 8 hours at the day job, and just released the 2nd book in my Time Traveller's Best Friend series today, along with having a Bookbub on book 1.

I've made 2k and my head is busted ??? I'll try again tomorrow; I have another 8 hours at the day job, but no new release to shepherd  ::)

Well done to those who made it! And to everyone who made the effort, like me  :-*

Congrats and good luck on the release! I definitely think that qualifies as a free day from writing lol... though you still got 2k which is brilliant! How are your nerves on the release?

Dean Rencraft | Website