Kindle Forum banner

3000 Words a Day Club

27K views 584 replies 50 participants last post by  lysadaley 
#1 ·
Kboards already has a "Thousand Words a Day Club", but I thought it might worth starting a thread targeting a minimum of 3000 words per day. I'd given up on writing to word counts as of late, but I've been re-evaluating and thinking that the career-sustaining pace for self-publishing is probably putting out a novel every two months or so.

At 3000 words a day you could pound out a rough draft in a month. Another month for revisions and you could potentially put out a novel every other month. Don't get me wrong, targeting a minimum of a thousand words a day is nothing to sneeze at, but I like the idea of being accountable to a more accelerated pace of production.

Anyway, if anyone's interested we could post here everyday, once we've reached our daily 3000 word quota as a means of encouragement. Or not. lol  :p  But I thought it might be worth a try. And I'll start: I'm happy to report I've completed 3,392 words for the day. My brain is shot and I'm happy. How about you?

#154 ·
3769 Yesterday. I would have gotten more, but I had to get a run in. I was not a happy person at the end of the day. My boiler has been down for 2 weeks and the repair guy no showed yesterday. it was 15 outside/62 inside when I got up this morning, thank God for my pellet stove. The repair man is here, now which means I am going in late for my day job and getting some extra words in with no distractions except for the dogs and Kboards  :p

#155 ·
Don't be afraid to share high word counts! My highest ever WC day was 7,353 in April 2015 when I wrote 150k in one month!! Sounds impressive, but it seriously burned me out. I don't recommend it! 😜

As for today, I written 3,032 words. Again, I hope to get another 1k in the afternoon. I have 4 books I plan to release before the end of the year! (One is in pre-order, final draft already uploaded.) The only way I can accomplish this is if I get these afternoon sessions in.

Update: 4,435 for the day's total!

#159 ·
3141 for today! Woo-hoo! ;D Took me all day, too. My procrastination got so bad that at one point I was purposely reading over one of my bad reviews, trying to convince myself that my time would be better spent watching Nightmare Before Christmas than trying to be a "writer." I don't even think I was feeling insecure. I think my laziness was just evolving :D

TLDNR: No Tim Burton for me today.

Stacy Claflin said:
Don't be afraid to share high word counts! My highest ever WC day was 7,353 in April 2015 when I wrote 150k in one month!! Sounds impressive, but it seriously burned me out. I don't recommend it! 😜

As for today, I written 3,032 words. Again, I hope to get another 1k in the afternoon. I have 4 books I plan to release before the end of the year! (One is in pre-order, final draft already uploaded.) The only way I can accomplish this is if I get these afternoon sessions in.

Update: 4,435 for the day's total!
150K in one month??? *stares at the walls for five minutes, unable to conceptualize that reality* That's AMAZING! Even with the burnout :)

#162 ·
I edited four chapters yesterday.  Three more today is my goal, and then I'm done.

My dream is still to get up to an average of 10,000 words a day.  I've only achieved that a few times.  I've got a very distractable, ADD personality, and there's also a certain point where the creativity well shuts down and after that, everything that I write is ca-ca.

Here are the things that help me shoehorn moar werdz in:

1.) Plan out my book beforehand as much as possible.  This doesn't have to take more than a couple of days.  I figure out who my hero and heroine are, what is their romance problem, what challenge or story problem is thrown at them in the beginning, who the villain is, what's his/her motivation, what is the all is lost moment, how do the hero and or heroine get past that, and what is the Final Showdown.  Then I write an outline of a few paragraphs per chapter.

2.) Set my timer for 30 minute sprints.  Record my progress. 

3.) If anything distracts me, write down what that is.  Try to learn from it.

4.) No internet allowed when I'm writing, unless for research.

5.)  Start writing early in the day, when I am most productive. 

#163 ·
Pandorra said:
ok +5k on the new book so that's around 8k with Elera at 3k .. bedtime! :D
:eek: Way to go! What a productive day!

Mine was not bad: 5843 and I am almost done with this book. Now I need to think about what I am going to write next and get this book ready for beta readers . . . .
Scarlettletters said:
I edited four chapters yesterday. Three more today is my goal, and then I'm done.

My dream is still to get up to an average of 10,000 words a day. I've only achieved that a few times. I've got a very distractable, ADD personality, and there's also a certain point where the creativity well shuts down and after that, everything that I write is ca-ca.

Here are the things that help me shoehorn moar werdz in:

1.) Plan out my book beforehand as much as possible. This doesn't have to take more than a couple of days. I figure out who my hero and heroine are, what is their romance problem, what challenge or story problem is thrown at them in the beginning, who the villain is, what's his/her motivation, what is the all is lost moment, how do the hero and or heroine get past that, and what is the Final Showdown. Then I write an outline of a few paragraphs per chapter.

2.) Set my timer for 30 minute sprints. Record my progress.

3.) If anything distracts me, write down what that is. Try to learn from it.

4.) No internet allowed when I'm writing, unless for research.

5.) Start writing early in the day, when I am most productive.
Love your process!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.