Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: The FREE SPACE trilogy - SF adventure - book 1 is FREE  (Read 299 times)  

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
The FREE SPACE trilogy - SF adventure - book 1 is FREE
« on: September 25, 2017, 01:39:30 AM »
The FREE SPACE trilogy, a science fiction adventure

by Jeff Tanyard

Dale Kinmont is a college student in post-catastrophe America. He's lucky; he lives in one of the walled cities for the nation's elite, and life is pleasant. He expects to graduate and find employment in his uncle's company.

Everything changes when he's framed for murder. He's tried, convicted, and sentenced to hard labor in the prison colony on Mercury.

He ends up in Hesperus instead, a flying city that soars eternally through the acidic skies of Venus. His goal now is to find a way to clear his name and return to Earth before Hesperus erupts in civil war. He also must battle the harsh realities of the planet itself. Because if the Hesperans don't kill him, Venus probably will.

Dale Kinmont spends his days helping the new government of Venus adjust to independence. He's comfortable there, and he certainly doesn't want to go to some horrible place like the Crater prison colony on Mercury. But when Uncle Zack goes there and winds up missing, Dale knows he's the only one who can find him.

Crater is too big for him to search for Zack by himself, so he must enlist the aid of the local partisans. Their assistance comes at a price, though, and paying isn't easy. Dale's presence there stirs up trouble for everyone. He hopes the civil unrest on Mercury, like that of Hesperus, will have a happy ending. But when a prison planet has a revolution, no one leaves unscathed.

Dale Kinmont recruits Martian volunteers to travel to Venus and aid in its defense. He assembles an army and dispatches them ahead of schedule. They'll beat Nat there with time to spare, and Dale is optimistic.

The plan is soon derailed. Nat and his army of convicts aren't going to Venus as planned--they're on their way to Mars. Dale's army's ship can't turn around, and they will never make it back in time.

He must find a way to defend his uncle's space station, as well as the Martian cities on the surface. He must do it without Mars's best fighting men, and he must do it quickly. Because Nat Leland is coming, and the most brutal men in the solar system are coming with him.

v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: The FREE SPACE trilogy - SF adventure - book 1 is FREE
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 04:14:12 AM »
Welcome to KBoards, Or Welcome Back ;) OR Hi, glad you're still here. :D Congratulations on the books!  :)

Much of what follows you should already be aware of, as it was included in the information you agreed to when you signed up. So please consider this to be just a friendly reminder. :) (The posting of this 'welcome letter' doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference, so we post this note in every thread in the Bazaar. :) )

KBoards is a fan forum for Readers, Writers and Kindle Lovers. Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function or the Kboards bookmark tool available on each thread) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information.  You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days.  Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!  Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts outside the Book Bazaar constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.  For information on more ways to promote here on KBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum.  Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KBoards!  Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 12:49:18 PM »
Congratulations on the books!  :)

Thanks, Ann!  For the record, I appreciate the heck out of you and the other mods.  Y'all do a great job.  :)
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »
Sounds like a bit of Spartacus going on there. Nice!

Genres: Space Opera, MilSF, Popular Science, Physics Textbooks, Archaeology, Walking
Alasdair C Shaw | Personal Website | SciFi Website | Physics Website | Archaeology Website | Newsletter Signup

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 02:45:12 PM »
Sounds like a bit of Spartacus going on there. Nice!

Never even crossed my mind.   :o  But that's the great thing about reading, right?  We all see different things the author never intended.

If you give the books a try, then I hope you enjoy them.  Thanks for commenting in my book thread.   :)

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 03:01:16 PM »
After two weeks, some early results are in.   8)

I've run three promotions--bknights, Freebooksy, and eBookBetty--and have had close to two thousand free downloads of Clouds of Venus on Amazon.  I've had about 600 downloads across all other retailers.

However...

For paid sales of books 2 and 3, Apple has been better than Amazon.   :o  The money is neck-and-neck, but that includes Draft2Digital's cut, so the number of units sold is actually slightly higher on iTunes than Amazon.

Fun fact: I've moved a few free copies of Clouds of Venus on NOOK, too, even though the book's blurb hasn't shown up on the product page yet.  Who needs blurbs, right?   :P

No reviews yet on Amazon.   :'(  It's still early, though, and I'm sure they'll trickle in eventually.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 09:39:46 PM »
Apple continues to trounce Amazon as far as sales of books 2 and 3 go.  Thanks for your support, Apple readers!   ;D    :-*

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 01:50:14 PM »
I tried to include some "hard" science in the trilogy, and one example of that is the jetsuit in Clouds of Venus.  The atmosphere is almost all carbon dioxide, so ordinary fuels wouldn't work since they require oxygen to burn.  I needed a fuel that would combust with carbon dioxide.  Enter magnesium:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oQ_9nFe9HU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oQ_9nFe9HU</a>

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 03:07:05 PM »
Fun fact: at about 50 km above the surface, the atmosphere of Venus has a temperature and pressure that is similar to that of Earth at sea level.  It is the most Earth-like place in the solar system outside of Earth itself.

I make use of this fact in Clouds of Venus.  It's a free download, so if you're curious about the underlying science, check it out.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 01:49:02 AM »
The surface of Venus is a nightmare.  The atmospheric pressure is 92 times that of Earth at sea level.  The average temperature is around 850 degrees.  At those conditions, the atmosphere is neither gas nor liquid, but is instead a supercritical fluid.

For actual photos of Venus's surface, check out this article.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 12:58:30 AM »
Venus rotates very slowly.  Its day is longer than its year.  If it was possible for a man to survive on the surface, then that man could actually outrun the sun.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 10:15:00 PM »
Venus has a retrograde rotation.  The sun rises in the west and sets in the east.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 10:54:42 PM »
Mercury's axis has almost zero tilt.  As a result, the bottoms of the craters at its poles are perpetually in shadow.  There's ice there.