Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Has Kindle Been Abandoned?  (Read 4623 times)  

Offline ChadMck

• Philadelphia, PA
    • View Profile
Re: Has Kindle Been Abandoned?
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 12:38:19 PM »
I highly doubt the Kindle has been abandoned, it has merely reached Market Saturation. Everyone who would ever consider purchasing a Kindle...has purchased a Kindle. There is no sense in throwing money at advertising to people who are still on the fence, it would be too expensive. In fact, I rather applaud Amazon for not releasing "new" Kindles on a consistent basis. They have created a great product that lasts years and aren't creating slightly improved versions to get people to buy again. Think of how much physical waste this saves?

Now when it comes to Alexa, that's a hot new area. Home automation, something that people are just starting to come around on. That's worth throwing money at for Amazon. I'm actually surprised they haven't come out with more versions of Alexa.

There will be new Kindle's in the future, but they will only be released when they provide value to the customer (or when Amazon wants to bolster ebook sales).

Offline HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
  • Manslaughter, She Inscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2017, 01:21:13 PM »
...and yes, the legendary author pics. shudder indeed.

It scared the [crap] out of me the first time Jane Austen came up...because I'd just been reading a Jane Austen book.  (Turns out classics are a lot easier when you can make the print big + use the read aloud feature!)  Big Brother was watching me, and its name was Amazon and the Kindle!!  Glad that didn't turn out to be the case.  I mean, I don't really care if Amazon knows my reading habits, but putting the author of the current book I'm reading as my screensaver would be just a bit too intrusive.

It used to make my day whenever the picture of birds came up instead of the authors, because I liked that one so much! 

I wish they'd turn their attention to an e-ink computer system for writing, email, and lite browsing or social media.  I think it would save my eyes if I could use e-ink for more things.  In the past, I've browsed forums with my e-ink Kindle Keyboard, and it wasn't the easiest thing in the world...but I felt very modern with all of that 3G power and e-ink display!  I'd love an updated, more widely usable version of that, preferably something all-in-one, like a Chromebook, that could be used without having extensive background in tech.

As for Alexa...bah.  I can certainly see it has its place, and would offer some people better access to what they need, but it's not for me.  (And can you imagine how risky it would be if you had a small child?  A machine that lets you order things verbally.  I'm sure nothing could go wrong around a curious little kid with an obsessive need to repeat themselves or ask question after question.)

Hollis Shiloh  | My blog | Amazon page

Online 9 Diamonds

• View Profile
    • 9 Diamonds Press
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 12:33:00 AM »
I'm more than happy with my Voyage, and can't think of any improvements I'd want for it. If I'm typical of Voyage owners, then maybe Amazon have good cause to leave it as it is ...

Online lindnet

• Redding, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 08:01:24 AM »
I love my Voyage, but would love for it to have actual page turn buttons instead of the haptic things.
Linda

Offline BettyR

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 04:41:48 PM »
Perhaps Amazon will have a surprise for us in November, the 10th anniversary of the very first kindle.  Kindles are on sale right now, so that is another clue that something may be up.

Offline SerenityEditing

• View Profile
    • Serenity Editing Services
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2017, 07:29:58 PM »
And can you imagine how risky it would be if you had a small child?  A machine that lets you order things verbally.  I'm sure nothing could go wrong around a curious little kid with an obsessive need to repeat themselves or ask question after question.

A small child, or a parrot, or a television airing a news story about a small child ordering by voice command...
https://www.techspot.com/news/71075-parrot-activates-alexa-when-mimicking-owner-places-online.html

At the start of the year, a six-year-old Texan girl ordered a $170 doll house and four-pounds worth of cookies using an Amazon Dot. When reporting the story, a TV anchor said: "I love the little girl saying, 'Alexa ordered me a dollhouse.'" This statement caused complaints from some viewers, who said their smart speakers were activated and tried to make purchases when they heard the command.

I can't imagine using Alexa to order only because when I order almost anything I have to spend a really stupid amount of time comparing this to that, and do they have it in a multipack, and what colors does it come in, and I can get it for $3 cheaper in white but the blue is really pretty, and do I want the glossy finish or the matte, and... The idea of saying "Order me a dollhouse" or "Two boxes of dog treats please" is the most sci-fi part of the whole thing, for me!  :P
Serenity Editing Services - KBoards Yellow Pages

FREE Sample - Top-Notch Editing and Proofreading Services
serenityeditingservices.com/

Offline John Hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2017, 11:30:28 PM »
I don't think it has. I listen to Len Edgerley's Kindle Chronicles podcast and he mentioned an announcement next week that would interest his listeners, which surely points to some kind of e-ink Kindle announcement. There is also a thread on Mobile Reads about an Amazon press event next Tuesday. A Voyage 2 with bigger storage and a slightly bigger screen would do it for me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2017, 10:29:56 AM »
I turned off purchasing with my Echo first thing.  I finally renamed the one in my TV room because it kept coming to life with each Echo commercial. 
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
  • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2017, 08:08:57 PM »
I don't think it has. I listen to Len Edgerley's Kindle Chronicles podcast and he mentioned an announcement next week that would interest his listeners, which surely points to some kind of e-ink Kindle announcement. There is also a thread on Mobile Reads about an Amazon press event next Tuesday. A Voyage 2 with bigger storage and a slightly bigger screen would do it for me.

Great news! My Paperwhite (PW2) crashed this morning and I lost everything on it (it's all in the cloud, so not a big deal, but still a pain).

This is second major issue I've had with it in two years, so I'm ready to upgrade.

Offline etexlady

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 07:28:04 AM »
My Oasis has been the perfect Kindle for me.  I like the shape, size and the page turning buttons.  What I would like to see improved is the software.  Setting up "collections" is slow and cumbersome at best.  It would be so much nicer if we could arrange our books, lists, collections, etc. on the Manage Your Devices and Content page and have it automatically load onto the Kindle.

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
  • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 09:09:01 PM »
My Oasis has been the perfect Kindle for me.  I like the shape, size and the page turning buttons.  What I would like to see improved is the software.  Setting up "collections" is slow and cumbersome at best.  It would be so much nicer if we could arrange our books, lists, collections, etc. on the Manage Your Devices and Content page and have it automatically load onto the Kindle.

Not sure if this is exactly what you're talking about, but after my Kindle crashed the other day, I created a new folder on it - "Unread" - and then added a bunch of books to it from the Manage Your Kindle page on the web. Of course, that only added the books to the cloud - they still have to be manually downloaded onto the Kindle itself. Is that what you mean?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2017, 03:11:55 AM »

You kinda can.

On Manage Content and Devices, you can now organize books in collections -- not with perfect efficiency, but much easier than via the kindle. And you can send up to 10 books to a device at a time. In fact, you can send up to 10 books to more than one device at the same time.

Further, if you have books on the kindle and you sort them into collections on the MYC&D page, the next time you sync your device, the books will move themselves into whichever collections you've chosen.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 05:41:58 AM »
I can't even imagine any realistic feature they could add that would attract me. I doubt they've abandoned Kindle, but I agree with Ann that updates will be slow unless they come up with some breakthrough feature.

I can. Waterproofing. USB C port for fast charging. Paperwhite, my favorite, with six LED lights instead of four. That didn't even take much imagination. Imagination brings me to a Kindle that will read audio books with a voice as human as the Android Assistant. Or, how about a Kindle that would navigate by voice commands. "Find......" Or, "Page" or, "settings" or, "Notation...." I don't imagine color or email or web browsing. For that I have my phone. My Kindle is simply for reading.

Offline etexlady

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2017, 10:01:51 AM »
You kinda can.

On Manage Content and Devices, you can now organize books in collections -- not with perfect efficiency, but much easier than via the kindle. And you can send up to 10 books to a device at a time. In fact, you can send up to 10 books to more than one device at the same time.

Further, if you have books on the kindle and you sort them into collections on the MYC&D page, the next time you sync your device, the books will move themselves into whichever collections you've chosen.

Well, yeah, there's that but I was thinking more along the lines of "drag and drop".

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2017, 05:26:49 PM »

(And can you imagine how risky it would be if you had a small child?  A machine that lets you order things verbally.  I'm sure nothing could go wrong around a curious little kid with an obsessive need to repeat themselves or ask question after question.)

The ordering feature can be turned off. Amazon may have made a mistake when they shipped the product with it turned on by default.

What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 06:10:07 AM »
The ordering feature can be turned off. Amazon may have made a mistake when they shipped the product with it turned on by default.

You can also set a PIN that must be entered to process an order.  We had to do that to make sure that we knew which profile was ordering stuff.

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 06:19:34 PM »
Pretty happy with my Voyage and cant really think of anything that would make me want to spend another $200 on another K.

Dont take a bath with mine so dont need waterproof. I think screen size is just right. Lighting works just fine for me.

I guess it could always be lighter but there are just physical limitations to that.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:10:49 AM by Lursa (aka 9MMare) »

• Outside Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 06:31:24 PM »
OK, I thought of a feature I'd pay $$ for again: yes to an ergonomic design that favors one hand holding it, similar to Oasis. THEN (because I use both hands pretty equally), have automatic page re-orientation the way our smart phones and tablets (most anyway) are.

So I can just turn it over, switch hands, and viola! ergonomic grip feature for that hand and page flips as well.

Quick! Somebody call Amazon! LOL

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 04:07:56 AM »
OK, I thought of a feature I'd pay $$ for again: yes to an ergonomic design that favors one hand holding it, similar to Oasis. THEN (because I use both hands pretty equally), have automatic page re-orientation the way our smart phones and tablets (most anyway) are.

So I can just turn it over, switch hands, and viola! ergonomic grip feature for that hand and page flips as well.

Quick! Somebody call Amazon! LOL

That is a feature of the original Oasis . . . and I suspect they've not taken out of the new 7" model they just announced.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

• Outside Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 09:37:52 AM »
That is a feature of the original Oasis . . . and I suspect they've not taken out of the new 7" model they just announced.

Really? I didnt realize that. Does it work well? Smoothly?

Shoot! There go my royalties....  :D

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2017, 09:38:45 AM »
It works perfectly, every time.  ;D

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

• Outside Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2017, 09:41:39 AM »

Nice! Then not this yr unless, God forbid, something happens to my Voyage, but maybe next the Oasis may be my next K.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2017, 09:49:07 AM »

Yep. Might be quicker with the better processor in the new oasis. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Lisa5

• View Profile
    • Market News Blog
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2017, 10:49:48 PM »
They have released a waterproof one? https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/amazon-launches-waterproof-kindle-oasis-for-rs-21999/articleshow/61049662.cms

And apparently it talks. But you have to wear head phones so that's no good. I want one that talks to me while I do dishes. I USED to have that with my ancient old Touch that died but then they got rid of that feature on new ones. I have a more recent Touch but it doesn't talk.  :( Anyway my old early generation Touch talked but it was very glitchy with the talking. Still I used to do house work listening to it which is what I want.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2017, 04:43:39 AM »
They have released a waterproof one? https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/amazon-launches-waterproof-kindle-oasis-for-rs-21999/articleshow/61049662.cms

And apparently it talks. But you have to wear head phones so that's no good. I want one that talks to me while I do dishes. I USED to have that with my ancient old Touch that died but then they got rid of that feature on new ones. I have a more recent Touch but it doesn't talk.  :( Anyway my old early generation Touch talked but it was very glitchy with the talking. Still I used to do house work listening to it which is what I want.

Yep: a new model of the Oasis

We have a whole thread discussing it here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,256438.0.html

By way of clarification, it has audio support specifically for Audible books. Also the Voice View that lets you do commands by voice. To listen you do need a connected Bluetooth speaker which can be headphones but could also just be a speaker. There's no physical headphone jack and no on-device speakers.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac