Author Topic: Almost makes me appreciate the KU Scammers who stuff real books  (Read 7964 times)  

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
Almost makes me appreciate the KU Scammers who stuff real books
« on: October 02, 2017, 09:43:05 AM »
I was searching for categories for my WIPs yesterday and happened upon Genre Fiction --> Political --> New Release. Check these out. They don't even bother with title, author, name anymore, and content is all mumble-jumble. The book "usmiisusiv" by  Oduvanck Cvetilov has 2967 pages. Oduvanck Cvetilov is a prolific author with 10+ books of the same kind in his backlog. (See? Who says an author can't publish a book a month? Or a book a week? Heck, he probably publishes a book an hour.) All his books use the same cover. (Good idea! Great for branding and saves a lot of $$. Why didn't I think of that?)

But author Jaratik Garbichnikin, author of "yaormuvuad" does him one better. "yaormuvuad" doesn't even have a book cover.  "yaormuvuad" is an epic novel that is 4156 pages long. Here's the riveting blurb:

yaormuvuad

I wanted to Look Inside but unfortunately there's no such option without the cover. I guess we'll just have to assume it's a masterpiece.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:47:24 AM by AlexaKang »

Online paranormal_kitty

• View Profile
Re: Almost makes me appreciate the KU Scammers who stuff real books
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:49:01 AM »
Wow. At least you know this is crap at first glance though. I wonder how long these things stay up?

Online Dpock

• Inland Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 09:53:15 AM »
Amazon runs quite a tight ship.

Offline RandomThings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 09:57:52 AM »
I came across a few of these in a fantasy niche the other day.  Just shook my head and scrolled on.

You didn't fancy taking a minute to report them?

Online Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 09:58:21 AM »
"yaormuvuad" is an epic novel that is 4156 pages long. Here's the riveting blurb:

yaormuvuad

I wanted to Look Inside but unfortunately there's no such option without the cover. I guess we'll just have to assume it's a masterpiece.

Such a shame he won't get paid for the whole last quarter of that masterpiece since they only pay up to 3k 'pages.' I'm sure he thought about splitting the book, but I'm guessing it would've ruined the art of the story to do so. Poor guy, willing to profit so much less for the sake of his art. Now that's dedication.

Offline Tonya Snow-Cook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 10:02:53 AM »
I'd probably cry if I weren't so busy laughing. This is just...it's just...so laughable in such a cynical way. So. Very. Laughable. We've been going about this all wrong, folks. My next book with feature a solid black cover with the title "Book." The blurb will simply state: "Give me your money cause this little black book rocks."

Asher Kessler: 5%
Tonya Snow-Cook | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 10:05:06 AM »
I guess Amazon will now send me emails recommending these books since I clicked on a few of them.

I think we should all go leave some five star reviews for "usmiisusiv" by Oduvanck Cvetilov. I'm literally blown over.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:08:52 AM by AlexaKang »

Offline LSBurton

• View Profile
    • Ocean's Edge Editing
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 10:08:29 AM »
At least they're only nine dollars.

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 10:11:01 AM »
At least they're only nine dollars.

Oh but you can Read Free on KU!

Offline Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
And my books get bounced for having KU inside!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Happy I went wide!
Blood Cauldron (DoH book 3): 88%
H.C. Harrington

Online Going Incognito

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 10:14:34 AM »
Oh but you can Read Free on KU!

Your review won't be verified that way tho.

Offline Martitalbott

• Marti Talbott
    • View Profile
    • Marti Talbott's Books
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 10:15:50 AM »
Um, it looks like Russian to me. I could be wrong, but Oduvanck Cvetilov looks like a new author who is learning the same way we all had to learn. Maybe reserve judgement?

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 10:18:40 AM »
Um, it looks like Russian to me. I could be wrong, but Oduvanck Cvetilov looks like a new author who is learning the same way we all had to learn. Maybe reserve judgement?

Marti, are you serious? Check the look inside of ALL of his books. They're all the same book.

Online Going Incognito

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 10:26:32 AM »
So does ulkovusile translate to Western Superhero?

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 10:30:19 AM »
Further proof that Amazon needs to do a little live vetting. How many seconds would it take a real human being to realize these books are part of a KU scam?

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online paranormal_kitty

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 10:51:45 AM »

When I looked it up, it says "English Edition" but the look inside is Russian (or something?). False advertising??

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 11:01:52 AM »
When I looked it up, it says "English Edition" but the look inside is Russian (or something?). False advertising??
Is it really Russian, or is it gibberish?

Russian isn't one of the supported languages, so I suppose trying to upload a Russian file might lead to weird results, but that doesn't explain uploading the same book multiple times. Nor does it explain why such a mess would rank so high. Only botting seems likely to explain that.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online paranormal_kitty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »
Is it really Russian, or is it gibberish?

Russian isn't one of the supported languages, so I suppose trying to upload a Russian file might lead to weird results, but that doesn't explain uploading the same book multiple times. Nor does it explain why such a mess would rank so high. Only botting seems likely to explain that.

That's a question for someone who is not me (lol). It would be funny if it turned out to be some really great book in Russian though.

Offline Gentleman Zombie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 11:16:22 AM »
They don't want real readers to find the books and buy them.  But a farm of hacked devices and fake KU subs can read through them. Amazon gets paid for the subscriptions and it inflates the reported number of KU subscribers. So there is no compelling reason for them to act.

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 11:24:30 AM »
They don't want real readers to find the books and buy them.  But a farm of hacked devices and fake KU subs can read through them. Amazon gets paid for the subscriptions and it inflates the reported number of KU subscribers. So there is no compelling reason for them to act.

Amazon doesn't get paid for these "subscriptions". I'd bet anything these are one-off sign ups with stolen credit card #s for the KU one-month free trial. These guys are smart though. They stay just far down enough on the radar, but high enough to get a piece of the KU payout. I'm betting they make more in KU $$ than I am.

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »
That's a question for someone who is not me (lol). It would be funny if it turned out to be some really great book in Russian though.

It could be a copy of War and Peace, or the complete collection of Tolstoy. I'm sure the copyright has expired.

Offline DrewMcGunn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 11:42:47 AM »

That's exactly what's going on, IMO.  In my preferred genre, these fake books typically make up 1/3 of the top 100 new releases, and one or two crack the top 100 in the genre.  The click farmer sometimes get a little over eager and give the scammer a little bit too much love, which raises the risk of getting flagged and reported.

I've studied this scam a little, and I agree, I think its based out of Russia.  most of these "authors," to use the term loosely, will post 13 books (not sure it's not 9 or 14, or some other random count) Sometimes the "book" is just a bunch of random English sentences, while other times, it a Russian translation.  My favorite, when I was researching, was a cut and paste of one of Baum's Oz books from the 20s.

Nearly all of these so called books range in rank from 10,000-100,000 give or take a zero.  Using a click farm to "read" the 2-3,000 word book nets the book somewhere between $8-11 per read, if they don't get caught.  For a book to reach 30,000 in ranking (which seems to be the average ranking for many of these so-called books), I'm not sure how many times the book gets downloaded by the clickfarm, but for the sake of the discussion, lets say that represents 10 downloads/reads from a "free KU account.  Theoretically, the account could take from the rest of the legitimate KU authors $1500, and in all likelihood, the scammer has several accounts.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »
My next book with feature a solid black cover with the title "Book." The blurb will simply state: "Give me your money cause this little black book rocks."

ROFL  :D

Title: "Book."
Author: "Suck it"

Offline sela

• Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »
Wow. I hope people report this. It might be possible for these scammers to get paid if they did it quickly and quietly, pulled their books after a particular time so they would go under Amazon's insufficient radar. Clearly a sign that Amazon's systems to detect fraud in KU is not working. Think of all the legitimate new releases that get kicked off the charts because of these scam books. Every hour that legitimate books are knocked off the charts is money lost for those authors.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 12:33:32 PM »
 :D

Usiimiiissiiii whatever is written in Russian and listed in Hispanic American. LOL