Author Topic: Almost makes me appreciate the KU Scammers who stuff real books  (Read 7964 times)  

Online SusanMayWriter

• Perth, Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Almost makes me appreciate the KU Scammers who stuff real books
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2017, 06:17:24 PM »
Well I guess if nothing else, these responses (presumably from live human beings) just debunked our theory that having real staff people going through the books will do any good. They apparently don't even know that (1) Amazon only supports a few specific languages, (2) that multiple books with the same book cover is a glaring sign that something is amisss, (3) that the interior is showing the same book content in mulitiple uploaded books, (4) that even if the author is indeed Russian or whatever, the author names are clearly gaboodiegook, as are the titles and the "blurbs".

It is hopeless.

And remember I've posted up her interaction two ways with two different service reps. Both didn't seem alarmed by the books breaking TOS or being just simply junk. So this tells us, most likely, they don't have any direction or template to deal with this. Therefore, if Amazon are not actively on alert for these types of scams, then it is very low, low, low on their priority list.

Humans will only work if they are trained properly.

We can spot these scammers a mile away because we have a vested interest. I repeat my point, there is no 'will' on Amazon's part to do anything. We are the only ones who can do something and that is support other retailers. Although I haven't done that yet, it seems the only way.

On another note, I do find the interactions with my moderator hilarious. She's a New Yorker and has a great sense of outrage and humor.

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2017, 07:32:31 PM »
I was searching for categories for my WIPs yesterday and happened upon Genre Fiction --> Political --> New Release. Check these out. They don't even bother with title, author, name anymore, and content is all mumble-jumble. The book "usmiisusiv" by  Oduvanck Cvetilov has 2967 pages. Oduvanck Cvetilov is a prolific author with 10+ books of the same kind in his backlog. (See? Who says an author can't publish a book a month? Or a book a week? Heck, he probably publishes a book an hour.) All his books use the same cover. (Good idea! Great for branding and saves a lot of $$. Why didn't I think of that?)

But author Jaratik Garbichnikin, author of "yaormuvuad" does him one better. "yaormuvuad" doesn't even have a book cover.  "yaormuvuad" is an epic novel that is 4156 pages long. Here's the riveting blurb:

yaormuvuad

I wanted to Look Inside but unfortunately there's no such option without the cover. I guess we'll just have to assume it's a masterpiece.

I don't understand why they would do this. WHO in their right mind is going to click on that stuff and read it?

Online SusanMayWriter

• Perth, Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »
I don't understand why they would do this. WHO in their right mind is going to click on that stuff and read it?

Scammers in their right mind would do it. Nobody buys it. They just run some page reads through it every now and then. These are very low ranking, so I'd say they do it randomly to stay under the radar. Mind you, you don't have to do much to stay under Amazon's radar. Reporting them does zero.

You think Amazon would have more pride in their store, wouldn't you?