Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Almost makes me appreciate the KU Scammers who stuff real books  (Read 10550 times)  

Offline SusanMayWriter

• Perth, Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Almost makes me appreciate the KU Scammers who stuff real books
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2017, 06:17:24 PM »
Well I guess if nothing else, these responses (presumably from live human beings) just debunked our theory that having real staff people going through the books will do any good. They apparently don't even know that (1) Amazon only supports a few specific languages, (2) that multiple books with the same book cover is a glaring sign that something is amisss, (3) that the interior is showing the same book content in mulitiple uploaded books, (4) that even if the author is indeed Russian or whatever, the author names are clearly gaboodiegook, as are the titles and the "blurbs".

It is hopeless.

And remember I've posted up her interaction two ways with two different service reps. Both didn't seem alarmed by the books breaking TOS or being just simply junk. So this tells us, most likely, they don't have any direction or template to deal with this. Therefore, if Amazon are not actively on alert for these types of scams, then it is very low, low, low on their priority list.

Humans will only work if they are trained properly.

We can spot these scammers a mile away because we have a vested interest. I repeat my point, there is no 'will' on Amazon's part to do anything. We are the only ones who can do something and that is support other retailers. Although I haven't done that yet, it seems the only way.

On another note, I do find the interactions with my moderator hilarious. She's a New Yorker and has a great sense of outrage and humor.

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2017, 07:32:31 PM »
I was searching for categories for my WIPs yesterday and happened upon Genre Fiction --> Political --> New Release. Check these out. They don't even bother with title, author, name anymore, and content is all mumble-jumble. The book "usmiisusiv" by  Oduvanck Cvetilov has 2967 pages. Oduvanck Cvetilov is a prolific author with 10+ books of the same kind in his backlog. (See? Who says an author can't publish a book a month? Or a book a week? Heck, he probably publishes a book an hour.) All his books use the same cover. (Good idea! Great for branding and saves a lot of $$. Why didn't I think of that?)

But author Jaratik Garbichnikin, author of "yaormuvuad" does him one better. "yaormuvuad" doesn't even have a book cover.  "yaormuvuad" is an epic novel that is 4156 pages long. Here's the riveting blurb:

yaormuvuad

I wanted to Look Inside but unfortunately there's no such option without the cover. I guess we'll just have to assume it's a masterpiece.

I don't understand why they would do this. WHO in their right mind is going to click on that stuff and read it?

Offline SusanMayWriter

• Perth, Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »
I don't understand why they would do this. WHO in their right mind is going to click on that stuff and read it?

Scammers in their right mind would do it. Nobody buys it. They just run some page reads through it every now and then. These are very low ranking, so I'd say they do it randomly to stay under the radar. Mind you, you don't have to do much to stay under Amazon's radar. Reporting them does zero.

You think Amazon would have more pride in their store, wouldn't you?

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2017, 11:56:51 AM »

Computers.  Computers are the ones clicking on that stuff and reading it.  Here's a great article from a few years back about how big scamming KU is and how scammers are taking millions from the pot.  It's nothing but computers scrolling through the pages:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/exclusive-inside-a-million-dollar-amazon-kindle-catfishing-scam/

Kate Danley | Website | Facebook | Blog | Newsletter | Instagram

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »
Computers.  Computers are the ones clicking on that stuff and reading it.  Here's a great article from a few years back about how big scamming KU is and how scammers are taking millions from the pot.  It's nothing but computers scrolling through the pages:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/exclusive-inside-a-million-dollar-amazon-kindle-catfishing-scam/

The saddest part about your post? The "a few years" part. And still... here we are.

Offline IoneKeeling

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2017, 01:19:51 PM »
Sorry six pages is a lot to read - but from the OP, Jake Tapper is one of the authors whose rank is being pushed down by bots. Anyone send him some screen shots? Maybe this is one way to get real notice? If not by him saying something, by him pushing it down to an arts and entertainment junior?

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2017, 03:43:34 PM »
The saddest part about your post? The "a few years" part. And still... here we are.

Hey now, it only took Amazon 3 years to initiate arbitration against Free Book Service and the other (tiny) handful of botters Amazon's targeted. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Oh wait...

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2017, 04:29:14 PM »
Sorry six pages is a lot to read - but from the OP, Jake Tapper is one of the authors whose rank is being pushed down by bots. Anyone send him some screen shots? Maybe this is one way to get real notice? If not by him saying something, by him pushing it down to an arts and entertainment junior?

Ooh, good catch.  Yeah, contact Jake Tapper and he can put an investigative team on the matter.  A few blistering pieces on the national news might get some action going.    ;)     8)
Jena

Online Valerie A.

• Squamish, BC
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads / Valerie Albemarle
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2017, 04:43:29 PM »
So does ulkovusile translate to Western Superhero?
It translates to nothing. It's gobbledygook made to sound vaguely Slavic.

Magical Realism; Psychological Mystery and Suspense
Valerie Albemarle | blog | Goodreads | Kirkus indie

Waking up to find yourself morphed into a beetle is no excuse to be late for work.

Offline IoneKeeling

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2017, 10:46:42 PM »
Ooh, good catch.  Yeah, contact Jake Tapper and he can put an investigative team on the matter.  A few blistering pieces on the national news might get some action going.    ;)     8)

Well, some of them, from the sounds of it, are Russian. There's a tie-in there.  8)

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2017, 05:19:42 AM »
Well, some of them, from the sounds of it, are Russian. There's a tie-in there.  8)

True!  In that case, maybe we could ask someone with "Russian ties" to look into it.  Hmm, I wonder who we can find with those qualifications??     ;)

Actually I was thinking that Tapper could deal with the Amazon side of things.
Jena

Online Valerie A.

• Squamish, BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2017, 12:17:39 PM »
True!  In that case, maybe we could ask someone with "Russian ties" to look into it.  Hmm, I wonder who we can find with those qualifications??     ;)
I have no Russian ties (I assume you mean to the mafia), but it is my native language. Can someone please post a link to one or more of these little gems? They don't show when I type either the so-called title or the so-called author's so-called name. Perhaps that's because I'm in Canada and somehow coddled in a nebula of safety.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 12:26:22 PM by Valerie A. »

Waking up to find yourself morphed into a beetle is no excuse to be late for work.

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2017, 12:20:39 PM »
I have no Russian ties (I assume you mean to the mafia), but it is my native language. Can someone please post a link to one or more of these little gems? They don't show when I type either the so-called title or the so-called author's so-called name. Perhaps that's because I'm in Canada and somehow coddled in a nebula of safety.

I'll PM you.

Diana Persaud | My Website

Online Valerie A.

• Squamish, BC
    • View Profile

Online Valerie A.

• Squamish, BC
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2017, 12:54:52 PM »
I followed Diana's links and they all lead to one and the same Look Inside: a disorderly medley of Alexander Pushkin's poems, novel snippets, and editor's preface to his collected works. The names and titles the OP cites aren't showing up, or not showing up any longer, either on Amazon.com or on Amazon.ca    Weird, and very unpleasant. I wish they'd "chosen" someone other than Russia's greatest poet to pad out their spam files.

Offline cdk

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2017, 08:36:47 PM »
It may periodically inconvenience some authors who are prolific writers, but Amazon should allow an author to publish no more than one book per month.  Publishing more than one book a month should require pre-authorization from Amazon, and hopefully trigger a manual inspection of the content of the book.  This won't necessarily stop scammers from publishing, but it should limit their influence on rankings and hopefully make them easier to identify since they'll be the authors publishing 12 books a year.  Of course scammers would adapt and open new author accounts to make up for the loss in volume, but Amazon should be able to identify any connection between new accounts, and tax and account information used in banned accounts to prevent scammers from publishing in the first place, or at the very least, lessen their impact on rankings and their ability to claim undeserved revenue as a top seller.

Just a thought.