Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: An overwhelming first day on kboards for a Nigerian author  (Read 294 times)  

Offline Scholarwrites

• View Profile
An overwhelming first day on kboards for a Nigerian author
« on: October 06, 2017, 05:44:42 AM »
Hello,
I've never thought myself a great writer, far from it. I just love writing,  the freedom it affords, the creativity and the hair-pulling moments. There so much I don't know about writing and marketing 😪😭. Reading through the posts here, I've been encouraged, overwhelmed and frustrated. Like my mentor always say- keep writing.
Any first timer like me? We have a long race ahead.

Offline Free Range Editor

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Free Range Editorial
Re: An overwhelming first day on kboards for a Nigerian author
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:28:05 PM »
Hello,

Welcome to the KBoards, home of the friendliest and most knowledgeable indie writers and editors on the Internet.  Make yourself at home and ask anything. You'll get thoughtful, useful answers.

Here's wishing you success with your writing.  Just keep plugging away.  It gets easier.

Julie

The Independent Editor for the Independent Author
Free Range Editorial | Facebook

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 07:08:35 PM »
home of the friendliest and most knowledgeable indie writers and editors on the Internet.

Just make sure you're combat armour is handy.  ;D

Offline Saul Tanpepper

• Morgan Hill, CA
  • 6 Gamers : 10,000 Undead
    • View Profile
    • tanpepperwrites
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 08:21:35 PM »
Welcome. Take your time. Nobody gets good at this by trying to learn it all at once.
Spec-Fic for All Ages    *  AMAZON  *  GooglePlay  *  iTunes  *  Kobo  *  B&N  *  Smashwords  *  Facebook  *  Website  *  Tweets  * 

FREE>

Offline Skip Knox

• Richland, Washington
    • View Profile
    • Altearth
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 08:42:58 AM »
I sympathize. I've been on forums forever, all the way back to Compuserv forums. But diving into kBoards was overwhelming for me as well. Partly it's because *everything* to do with writing is all in one forum, so you have to slog through much that is not relevant to you. Using the "show unread posts" is crucial.

But mostly it's a matter of time. I've been here for a year or so and am only now starting to get comfortable. The people are great; the information is invaluable; the rewards are totally worth it. It simply took me a long time to get past the feeling of being overwhelmed.

One other thing I'll mention: the traffic here is so high, you absolutely must check in every day. When I miss even one day, the unread becomes three or more pages deep and that old overwhelmed sensation starts to come back. I usually don't try to catch up, I just mark all as read and start again.

Offline Scholarwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 07:12:59 AM »
Hello,

Welcome to the KBoards, home of the friendliest and most knowledgeable indie writers and editors on the Internet.  Make yourself at home and ask anything. You'll get thoughtful, useful answers.

Here's wishing you success with your writing.  Just keep plugging away.  It gets easier.

Julie
Thanks Julie

Offline Scholarwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 07:15:50 AM »
I sympathize. I've been on forums forever, all the way back to Compuserv forums. But diving into kBoards was overwhelming for me as well. Partly it's because *everything* to do with writing is all in one forum, so you have to slog through much that is not relevant to you. Using the "show unread posts" is crucial.

But mostly it's a matter of time. I've been here for a year or so and am only now starting to get comfortable. The people are great; the information is invaluable; the rewards are totally worth it. It simply took me a long time to get past the feeling of being overwhelmed.

One other thing I'll mention: the traffic here is so high, you absolutely must check in every day. When I miss even one day, the unread becomes three or more pages deep and that old overwhelmed sensation starts to come back. I usually don't try to catch up, I just mark all as read and start again.
Wow, thanks so much

Offline Scholarwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 07:17:50 AM »
Thanks so much

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac