KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: A New AMS Thread  (Read 12668 times)  

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
Re: A New AMS Thread
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2017, 08:26:53 AM »
I just randomly searched for "western romance" on Amazon and the top two results were sponsored ads followed by the actual search results which were different books. Same with "dating for men". Top two results are sponsored ads, bottom two are sponsored.

When I search for "puppy parenting in an apartment", the title of one of my books, the top result is my AMS ad for that book and the rest of the entire page is sponsored product ads. My actual book with that title doesn't even show.

It looks like Amazon is moving hard towards pay-to-play. I don't mind running ads to get more people to my books, but it  p*ss es me off to think that I might be paying for people who already wanted my book to find it on Amazon.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Online David Beers

• Athens, GA
  • Killing things one word at a time
    • View Profile
    • David Beers, Author
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2017, 10:35:42 AM »
Just ran the same for serial killer thriller and FBI thriller. I didn't see any sponsored ads at all, which I don't love either. So, not happening for everyone. The Zon works in mysterious ways.

Craft first.
Website | Amazon

Offline R.E.Conary

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Cord, P.I.
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2017, 11:35:05 AM »
A quick search found sponsored ads at the bottom of the first page in the following searches: "women sleuths"; "female detectives"; "private investigator mysteries"; "hard-boiled mysteries".
"Life's a crapshoot. We don't know the result until we roll the dice." ~ Rachel Cord

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2017, 11:43:46 AM »
A quick search found sponsored ads at the bottom of the first page in the following searches: "women sleuths"; "female detectives"; "private investigator mysteries"; "hard-boiled mysteries".

That's how it used to be.

Maybe they're beta testing new ad positions or it only happens on certain search terms. I just tried "spy thriller" on my other browser and and the top two results were ads but "women sleuths" and "serial killer thriller" didn't have any ads.

Blog

Online ireaderreview

• Books Butterfly - Connecting Readers to Authors
    • View Profile
    • Books Butterfly Book Promotions (Kindle, Nook, Apple, Kobo)
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2017, 11:45:18 AM »
Most systems tend towards this state -

It looks like Amazon is moving hard towards pay-to-play. I don't mind running ads to get more people to my books, but it  p*ss es me off to think that I might be paying for people who already wanted my book to find it on Amazon.

This quote from the CEO of Restoration Hardware blew my mind. and then I realized that same was true for us - nearly all the sales we were getting via google Adwords were from people already searching for us

Here:

Restoration Hardware delightfully colorful CEO, Gary Friedman, divulged the following striking anecdote about the companys online marketing strategy, and the state of online ad spending in general (courtesy of @parsimony16). What Friedman revealed in brief was the following:
[W]eve found out that 98% of our business was coming from 22 words. So, wait, were buying 3,200 words and 98% of the business is coming from 22 words. What are the 22 words? And they said, well, its the word Restoration Hardware and the 21 ways to spell it wrong, okay?
Stated simply, the vast, vast majority of online ad spending is wasted, chasing clicks that simply are not there.

And testing this confirmed - nearly all Google Adwords sales were people already looking for us
Warning: When we reduced Adwords Traffic, magically organic traffic also got reduced. So when optimizing, please keep in mind that sometimes you have to pay a small fee to play in the ecosystem. You can't optimize too much

Get 50 to 100 Sales for Your $1 Book! Get 2,000 to 5,000+ Downloads for your Free Run Books! Get 200 to 400+ Sales for Your $1 Box Set!

Books Butterfly | Free Book Promotion | Paid Book Promotion

Applies to Following Genres: Mysteries, Thrillers, Suspense, Romance, Christian, Non-Fiction, How To, Cookbooks, SciFi Thrillers, Memoirs, Romantic Erotica, Steamy Romance.
Please Note: We also promote in other genres.

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2017, 11:48:24 AM »
And testing this confirmed - nearly all Google Adwords sales were people already looking for us
Warning: When we reduced Adwords Traffic, magically organic traffic also got reduced. So when optimizing, please keep in mind that sometimes you have to pay a small fee to play in the ecosystem. You can't optimize too much

Yeah, my follow-on thought to all of this is that big authors who expect people to search for their books may need to defensively use AMS to hold that ad spot against their competitors.

Blog

Online BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2017, 12:15:52 PM »
Seems like every day I see something else that makes me question my sanity for using AMS ads. Are they profitable? That's the main question. Who knows!? Can't trust the ACos or sales numbers really until the 15th of the next month. Incredibly hard to use, unreliable, bare-bones analytics and targeting, sheesh. Hopefully they start losing more and more advertising revenue to CPC offerings like Facebook and BookBub, both of which I really like and seem to be getting results from, and update.
SPED-BOT, Vigilante Androids Book I: 5%

LOVE-BOT, Vigilante Androids Book II: 0%

DEATH-BOT, Vigilante Androids Book III: 0%
Vigilante Angels Series Books I, II, III all available on Amazon!
Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing | Pronoun | Patreon

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2017, 03:10:28 PM »
They're profitable. Can other promos push sales without AMS? Yes. Must we use AMS for every title all the time? No. How do I know this? My sales of all my books were meh. Using AMS ads has made them steady sellers at a higher number than ever before. Not a fortune, but enough to underwrite the costs of publishing several books a year.

However, the increasing cost suggests we need a non-Amazon promo strategy as a multiplier, as Cassie mentioned previously.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2017, 03:11:32 PM »
I remember not long ago this year that the ppc was .05-.50 cents. Seems like getting the ads now are $1.00 or more.

More and more expensive to ad for declining results.  :(

Offline NatPane

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2017, 05:38:17 AM »
Just to be clear, I'm talking about the search results page not on a book page. This is when you go to Amazon.com and search for "Cassandra Clare" or whatever and it comes back with book suggestions. It's one of the best places to have your ads show because it looks like part of the search results and so people think your book is what they were looking for. Problem is, they used to show two or three of these Sponsored Ads at the bottom of each page of search results, but today I saw my Sponsored Ad as the first result and my normal book listing as the second result. No reason for someone to click on the second result, which is free, so I end up paying for people to go to my book when they would've done so for free if that ad wasn't the first entry.

I'm not sure I understand this and I wonder why. It suddenly dawned on me though, that maybe it's because my book is not part of a list whatsoever. I've often wondered about this. When it's searched it shows up alone. It's in a deep dark dungeon all by itself. And when I have an ad, it's my book and my sponsored ad. Of course this way it will never be seen. Doesn't stop my irritation as to where the sponsored ad is placed.

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2017, 03:03:11 PM »
The sponsored ads row is missing (!!!) for every book page I've gone to in the last few minutes. I've tried with Safari and Chrome. Anyone else having similar results?

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »
I just looked at a book using Firefox and they were there for me. Maybe just a slight glitch? Or browser-specific?

Blog

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2017, 03:06:13 PM »
I've tried it in Safari and Chrome. Glad you're seeing them, though. That means at least some readers are seeing our ads.

ETA: Same thing with Seamonkey. I get only the "also bought" row. I'm not enjoying this at all.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:09:28 PM by martysouth »

Online katherinef

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2017, 03:23:36 PM »
I wish I didn't see them, but they're somehow getting through AdBlock (without book covers). If anyone knows what I need to do to block them completely like the ones in search results, let me know. Never mind. I think I got rid of them. ;D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 04:48:46 PM by katherinef »
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Ignore people's pet peeves and write on!

"If you tell me the characters should be smarter, I'm going to wonder if you've actually met any humans." - T

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2017, 11:01:37 PM »
Solved: It was my VPN. Weird. It's never done that before.

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2017, 07:39:31 AM »
When I went in to create a new ad, I see no place to write the ad text. The steps seem to bypass writing the ad. Am I blind, or is something screwed up?

Kay L Ling | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2017, 07:55:18 AM »
When I went in to create a new ad, I see no place to write the ad text. The steps seem to bypass writing the ad. Am I blind, or is something screwed up?

It should be the last thing you do, at the very end. (I believe. I didn't log in to double check.)

Blog

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2017, 08:33:50 AM »
It should be the last thing you do, at the very end. (I believe. I didn't log in to double check.)

That's what I thought. But after the section for adding the keywords the choices are cancel, save as draft, or launch campaign. I have no campaign unless they let me write the ad.

Edited to ad that I just tried doing the "copy" function, and once I put at least one keyword in the box, it brought up the screen with my former ad copy. I altered the ad and hit "launch campaign."
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:53:40 AM by Kay7979 »

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2017, 08:38:55 AM »
Have you guys noticed that the book covers of the SP ads are now the same size as the Also-Bots? The SP ad covers are much clearer now too.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2017, 03:19:18 PM »
Have you guys noticed that the book covers of the SP ads are now the same size as the Also-Bots? The SP ad covers are much clearer now too.
Amazon increased the size on almost everything 10% just a day or two ago.

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
  • Philip and Cookie the Dog
    • View Profile
    • Hashtag Histories
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2017, 06:31:27 PM »
Edited to ad that I just tried doing the "copy" function, and once I put at least one keyword in the box, it brought up the screen with my former ad copy. I altered the ad and hit "launch campaign."

I've never used the copy function so that is interesting.

So when we use the "Copy" function, we can change the keywords and ad text.

Is there any part we can't change?  Like overall keyword bid for example?

Philip

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline Megan Crewe

• Toronto, ON, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2017, 08:31:05 PM »
FYI, I had read in at least one AMS thread here that pre-order purchases don't show up on the AMS dashboard. That's not true anymore, at least. I've had a Sponsored Product ad running on a (pen name) pre-order for the last five days, and the dashboard started showing an Est. Total Sales number a couple days ago. And the keywords the sales are attributed to match the Also Boughts now showing for the book, so the reporting seems to be accurate.

For this experiment, I can also say that it is sometimes worthwhile to run AMS ads on a pre-order. My main goal was to populate Also Boughts with good comp titles ahead of release. I was prepared to take a somewhat sizeable financial hit in exchange. But it looks like the ads are pretty close to paying for themselves. And this is on a full-priced title with no advance reviews yet. (I'm sending out ARCs this week and will be curious to see if that seems to increase the ROI.) So I'm paying very little and getting my book positioned well before it's even out. Win-win!

Megan Crewe | website | facebook | twiter | tumblr | instagram

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2017, 07:42:02 AM »
I've never used the copy function so that is interesting.

So when we use the "Copy" function, we can change the keywords and ad text.

Is there any part we can't change?  Like overall keyword bid for example?

Philip

No, you can change keyword bids too. Give it a try, if only as an experiment. You can save it as a draft if you don't want to actually launch a new campaign.

Offline R.E.Conary

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Cord, P.I.
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2017, 01:53:28 PM »
I started a new AMS Sponsored Product ad for one of my non-KU mystery titles with a $0.10 CPC Bid.

It's been running for about 17 hours and has nearly 58,000 impressions already; of which 56,744 impressions are for one keyword (author name) with 2 clicks @ $0.06 per click.

I'm surprised by the number of impressions this quickly for a 10-cent ad--and especially the number for a single keyword. Is this normal or even possible? ???

UPDATE (Nov. 2 @ 6:20 p.m. EDT):My 10-cent ad has been running now for 42 hours and this one keyword has 82,456 impressions with 5 clicks. Don't understand what is happening. The keyword is an author's name and he only has five books on Amazon. Of those, my ad appears on three titles but as far back as pages 14 or 15. This doesn't explain the high number of impressions.

Any thoughts? Comments?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:23:52 PM by R.E.Conary »
"Life's a crapshoot. We don't know the result until we roll the dice." ~ Rachel Cord

Offline Michael-Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2017, 02:59:02 PM »
AMS ads interface hasn't updated in a while. It is severely lacking compared to other websites ad interfaces. Nothing will probably result from this, but maybe we can put together a list of things we'd like to see and then email it to people at various people Amazon. Maybe, just maybe (a man can dream), it may have an effect.

So here's what I would like to see.

- I'd like to be able to breakdown my ad spend per day, so I can see how much I spent on a specific day easily.
- I'd like to be able to delete permanently campaigns from my view rather than just having them as terminated.
- It'd be nice if it tracked borrows. Maybe just say, this ad resulted in 3 borrows.

What am I missing?

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac