Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: A New AMS Thread  (Read 16993 times)  

Offline Philip Gibson

• Laos (Moved from Yorkshire)
  • Philip and Cookie the Dog
    • View Profile
    • Hashtag Histories
Re: A New AMS Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2017, 02:25:43 AM »
Still not seeing any Sponsored products carousels on any book pages.  Yet my ads do continue to register clicks.  Very odd.

Are others here able to see Sponsored Products carousels?

Philip
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:14:16 AM by Philip Gibson »

What if there had been social media during important historical events?
Philip Gibson | Hashtag Histories | Word By Word Graded Readers for Children

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2017, 04:52:02 AM »
Re: Missing sponsored products row
I posted here about this problem on October 29th. They came back when I turned off my VPN, so I thought that was the cause. But now they're gone again. (No ad blockers installed. I'm on a Mac. Same results with Safari and Chrome.)

Online Accord64

• View Profile
    • Bruce Fottler Author Facebook Page
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2017, 04:55:07 AM »

I use two browsers, Firefox and Chrome. I just did an experiment by clicking on the same books on both.

Firefox didn't show the sponsored products carousel or the product display ad on any of them. They never show probably because I have an ad blocker installed.

Chrome showed them. I never got around to installing ad-blocker.

I went back to Firefox and accessed the ad-block icon (Adblock Plus) to disable blocked items on that page. The SP carousel still didn't show, but the product display ad did. Strange. Maybe Firefox doesn't support whatever Amazon uses to display the SP carousel?

Offline Rob Tran

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2017, 05:01:57 AM »
Can anyone explain what "CPC bid" is? The standard seems to be 25c? Not sure whether I should increase it or decrease it?

The following makes no sense to me:

"Daily budgets can be exceeded as a result of a rapid accumulation of clicks on a campaign as the campaign approaches the daily limit. During high traffic seasons, it is recommended that you adjust your daily budgets and CPCs to accommodate increased traffic and avoid overages. If overages to a daily budget occur, you will be charged only the maximum budget of the day. The difference will not be charged."
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:07:20 AM by Rob Tran »
A Phoenix for Sale: 55%
Rob Tran | Blog | Instagram

Offline R.E.Conary

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Cord, P.I.
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2017, 06:16:44 AM »

I'm seeing sponsored and display ads on every mystery and sci-fi/fantasy title I've looked at using Safari. Only seeing display ads -- no sponsored ones -- on Firefox. Seeing no ads on Opera.

Correction: ads are appearing on Opera after turning off "Block Ads".
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 06:19:15 AM by R.E.Conary »
"Life's a crapshoot. We don't know the result until we roll the dice." ~ Rachel Cord

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2017, 06:21:36 AM »
Can anyone explain what "CPC bid" is? The standard seems to be 25c? Not sure whether I should increase it or decrease it?

The following makes no sense to me:

"Daily budgets can be exceeded as a result of a rapid accumulation of clicks on a campaign as the campaign approaches the daily limit. During high traffic seasons, it is recommended that you adjust your daily budgets and CPCs to accommodate increased traffic and avoid overages. If overages to a daily budget occur, you will be charged only the maximum budget of the day. The difference will not be charged."

CPC = cost per click   This is an average over time from the moment you start the ad, so not to be trusted completely.

When you look at your billing history, click on the month just billed and you'll see how much you were charged for each ad and how much Amazon refunded to you for getting overenthusiastic.

BTW, I've never noticed it was necessary to increase my daily budget for a holiday season or special buying period. If you know the time of day you make most of your sales, you can keep your budget higher at that time of day and reduce it for other times of day. Or, if that's too much fiddling, just make sure your budget is a dollar more than it was before you saw/got a Daily Budget Spent notice.

Offline Rob Tran

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2017, 06:43:56 AM »
CPC = cost per click   This is an average over time from the moment you start the ad, so not to be trusted completely.

When you look at your billing history, click on the month just billed and you'll see how much you were charged for each ad and how much Amazon refunded to you for getting overenthusiastic.

BTW, I've never noticed it was necessary to increase my daily budget for a holiday season or special buying period. If you know the time of day you make most of your sales, you can keep your budget higher at that time of day and reduce it for other times of day. Or, if that's too much fiddling, just make sure your budget is a dollar more than it was before you saw/got a Daily Budget Spent notice.

Wow, thank you! So glad I found this website.

I will be keeping a close eye on if it hits my daily budget.

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2017, 08:30:50 AM »
From the prior posts it appears that Sponsored Products ads are being seen by people using Internet Explorer or Opera (which I imagine is why we are still seeing our clicks and impressions go up), but are not being seen by people using Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.

This has been going on for at least two days now from what I've seen. I guess the Amazon employees probably hit the wrong switch before leaving for the weekend. Or maybe it was like that twitter employee who turned off Trump's account before leaving... :-X

Lorain O'Neil

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 05, 2017, 11:36:10 AM »
I received a reply from Amazon, but she clearly thought I was saying that I couldn't see my ad. I've written back explaining that I couldn't see any ads, and that this made me wonder about the reach and effectiveness of AMS ads if some people could see them and others couldn't.

Just to be clear, I get that people use ad blockers, and I'm fine with that. Since I don't, I would just like to understand what's causing this for those of us who do not use ad blockers.

Online Dpock

• Inland Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 05, 2017, 12:45:53 PM »
Whatever is going on, I blew through a $15 daily budget in eight hours this morning. Their algorithms are supposed to space budgets out over the day.

Offline Philip Gibson

• View Profile
    • Hashtag Histories
« Reply #160 on: November 05, 2017, 02:02:56 PM »
I received a reply from Amazon, but she clearly thought I was saying that I couldn't see my ad. I've written back explaining that I couldn't see any ads, and that this made me wonder about the reach and effectiveness of AMS ads if some people could see them and others couldn't.

I got the same answer and responded as you did.  Watching my clicks now to see if they are drastically reduced due to lack of exposure.

Philip

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 05, 2017, 02:21:42 PM »
Whatever is going on, I blew through a $15 daily budget in eight hours this morning. Their algorithms are supposed to space budgets out over the day.

I don't think there's anywhere they say that. I know for a fact that on Sponsored Product ads they don't try to space the budget out over the day since I've had ads before where I had to up the bid multiple times throughout the day to keep them running because they got hot and spent through their budgets. And I think with Product Display they try to space it out over the entire ad period if that's the choice you select, but that just means an average spend per day, not what time of day it's spent.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Offline Marian

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 05, 2017, 03:21:56 PM »
I have been trying without success to get product interest ads. I have some dating back to mid-September, and they still haven't run. Is anyone else having this problem?

Offline Philip Gibson

• View Profile
    • Hashtag Histories
« Reply #163 on: November 05, 2017, 03:25:21 PM »
I have been trying without success to get product interest ads. I have some dating back to mid-September, and they still haven't run. Is anyone else having this problem?

Yes.

I'm not patient enough to wait so long and have returned to only using Sponsored Product ads which usually turn on in less than a day.

Philip

Offline IntoTheAbyss

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 05, 2017, 06:40:04 PM »

I am not. They usually start spending within a day or two for me, but you have to bid very high.

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 05, 2017, 07:20:02 PM »
I am not. They usually start spending within a day or two for me, but you have to bid very high.

Agree shorten the term to one month, bid high, and keep your eyes peeled.

Offline Rob Tran

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2017, 08:58:17 PM »
So another new question: Do you guys prefer "Sponsored Ads" or "Product Display Ads"

I gained around 20 impressions today using "sponsored ads" but no clicks yet. Not sure if I am doing it right.

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2017, 02:40:01 AM »
So another new question: Do you guys prefer "Sponsored Ads" or "Product Display Ads"

Mostly sponsored but it's a topic of much debate. I recommend reading through this thread and the older "AMS Learning" thread here, as well as some of the books by the folks who hang out here, such as Cassie. It's all been hashed out on a regular basis several times. Brian Meeks is a proponent of PDA but many (including me) have tried his technique (in his book and discussed in threads here) to no avail.

AMS is a confusing, convoluted crap shoot for the most part, unless you've done the trial and error thing long enough to cultivate your own particular mix of bids and keywords that work well for your particular book and even then it's a chaotic, changing unpredictable environment (Amazon is always changing the algorithms and site in stealth mode, without the consideration of a heads up to those of us who are throwing money at them).

There's no magic formula. Test, test, test on your own book(s). With only one book, the numbers are against you, most folks only make their advertising money back by the ads pushing their read-through on other titles. Sorry to sound negative, but I'm increasingly frustrated by this experience.
SPED-BOT, DroidMesh Book I: 5%

LOVE-BOT, DroidMesh Book II: 0%

DEATH-BOT, DroidMesh Book III: 0%
Vigilante Angels Series Books I, II, III all available on Amazon!
Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing | Pronoun | Patreon

Offline Rob Tran

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2017, 03:38:18 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I will slowly be making my way through this thread and the other thread.

Interesting to note what other authors have been putting in their keyword search.

Offline Bob Stewart

• View Profile
    • Street Car Mysteries
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2017, 07:03:09 AM »
Others can chime in with their own experiences. It seems that the Product Display ads you can run more than one ad at a time and they won't interfere with one another. My experience with Sponsored Product ads (and I think others as well) is that they do interfere with one another. So if you were going to run another ad, I'd say do a Product Display ad this time around but don't run two Sponsored Product ads at the same time on the same book.

Sorry to rehash this, but I'm not clear what you mean by "interfer with one another."

If I have two ads targeting the same product pages, wouldn't they definitely be bidding against each other?

I suppose it might be that if the ad space goes for $.65 normally, you may only add a penny to that.

I have a series and have several books in it I'd like to run Product Display ads for, but if I run them simultaneously, shouldn't I target them differently?

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2017, 07:16:43 AM »
Sorry to rehash this, but I'm not clear what you mean by "interfer with one another."

If I have two ads targeting the same product pages, wouldn't they definitely be bidding against each other?

I suppose it might be that if the ad space goes for $.65 normally, you may only add a penny to that.

I have a series and have several books in it I'd like to run Product Display ads for, but if I run them simultaneously, shouldn't I target them differently?

You really should read the older discussions. People have reported many times that a second Sponsored Product ad for the same book has resulted in one of them simply not being shown, that is, gaining no new impressions. AFAIK, Product Display ads do not compete with one another.

And no, to disagree with someone's comment higher up, if you only have one book, an AMS ad can be profitable. I have only one nonfiction book; it has always been my most profitable ad.

Profitability depends on two things: How high you price your book, and how high you must bid to attain visibility in your book's categories. A 99-cent book is unlikely to make a profit through AMS ads, but a $4.99 book certainly can. In crowded categories, such as romance, the problem is the low cover prices typical in the category versus how high you must bid to get visibility. After a certain number of clicks, you've used up your potential profit. In that situation, you must depend on the ad selling your series, and the series sales giving you the profit. This is a slippery slope.

Offline Megan Crewe

• Toronto, ON, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2017, 07:36:23 AM »
So, I decided to try some Product Display ads just to see how they'd do. I've had them running for a few days now and most of them show zero impressions, the only one that has any, it's around 40. I have my bid price set relatively high for this experiment... I know people have said it can take a while for them to get going, but how long is "a while"? Is it normal for there to be no impressions at all for 3-4 days?

Megan Crewe | website | facebook | twiter | tumblr | instagram

Offline Marian

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2017, 07:43:53 AM »
Agree shorten the term to one month, bid high, and keep your eyes peeled.
What is a high bid? Could you give me an example for Women's fiction (I bid 0.17 cents)? I didn't think of shortening the length of time. I'll try it.

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2017, 08:18:39 AM »
So, I decided to try some Product Display ads just to see how they'd do. I've had them running for a few days now and most of them show zero impressions, the only one that has any, it's around 40. I have my bid price set relatively high for this experiment... I know people have said it can take a while for them to get going, but how long is "a while"? Is it normal for there to be no impressions at all for 3-4 days?

I threw a couple low-bid PD ads up about a week ago and just checked them and they all have less than 100 impressions right now. I haven't read the book that says this, but from other comments in the thread, it can take 4-6 weeks for a low PD ad to start running. If you want them to run faster, I've had success bumping up the bids. I don't know where you've set yours, but Amazon did just send out a guide to AMS this last week recommending that people bump their bids for the holiday season, so what might've been a high bid two weeks ago may no longer be high enough.

Blog

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2017, 08:21:03 AM »
What is a high bid? Could you give me an example for Women's fiction (I bid 0.17 cents)? I didn't think of shortening the length of time. I'll try it.

I would consider your current bid low. Even though it's women's fiction, you're also up against romance. For example, my romance novels straddle the genres, so I target both. I can't speak as much to PD ads, but for SP ads I'd be bidding at least three times that amount and that would be the lower end of what I'd bid to get enough impressions.

Blog