Author Topic: A New AMS Thread  (Read 25600 times)  

Online MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
Re: A New AMS Thread
« Reply #425 on: January 13, 2018, 03:31:08 PM »
From what I've read, a 3D cover is acceptable for SP ads but not PDI ads because these are shown on kindles and 3D ads don't look right on kindles.

That makes sense. Thanks!

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 13, 2018, 07:56:30 PM »
Does this coincide with times when more people would be shopping on Amazon? If so, it could be because you're underbidding in your category and only during heavy traffic times do those who are bidding more than you run out of budget resulting in your ads being displayed.

But--but--how can that be when my bids are higher than the click price? For example, I have one good keyword that's nearly 20 cents higher. Are you saying that if I raised my bid price by 50 cents--or even a dollar--I'd get sales all day long instead of mostly at night? I've always assumed my audience was working women who bought books in their leisure hours.

Guess I could try raising my bids and see what happens.

Also, I thought these ads are not scalable and throwing more money at them does not produce more visibility or sales. You're suggesting that upping the daily budget doesn't help but upping the keyword bids does? Hmm...

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 14, 2018, 06:44:50 AM »
But--but--how can that be when my bids are higher than the click price? For example, I have one good keyword that's nearly 20 cents higher. Are you saying that if I raised my bid price by 50 cents--or even a dollar--I'd get sales all day long instead of mostly at night? I've always assumed my audience was working women who bought books in their leisure hours.

Guess I could try raising my bids and see what happens.

Also, I thought these ads are not scalable and throwing more money at them does not produce more visibility or sales. You're suggesting that upping the daily budget doesn't help but upping the keyword bids does? Hmm...

It's worth a try. Your bids are always going to be higher than your click price (at least right now--one of the other threads said something about an option that might change that) or else your ad wouldn't display. But it's possible that there's a tier of bidding and ad display above where you're bidding right now.

Over the last two months I've had four, maybe more, different romance ads that maxed out by 1 PM New York time (sometimes earlier, but that's when Amazon sends the first you're out of budget notice to me). This is on low budgets of $5-$10 a day. So that says that there are romance readers looking to buy earlier in the day U.S. time.

What I've found is that having a budget of $50 a day doesn't do much. In that sense the ads aren't scalable. And really high bids don't always do much either. I have a few that I put high ($1.50 or so) and they didn't spur that ad to burn through its budget. But if you're at 45 cents right now? Try to go up a bit.

For the heavy hitters wanting to spend hundreds or thousands a day on a single book, AMS doesn't do that as far as I've been able to see. The most I was able to get an ad to spend was about $45 a day and that not consistently. (But that was for a book ranked 10K or so. If someone is ranking better, they might manage to spend more.)

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 14, 2018, 07:01:14 AM »
I put my top 5 keywords on two titles up by about 20 cents each. One is for a $5.99 title that is not in KU, so there's plenty of bid leeway. The other is a $2.99 title that's in KU, where a full read only earns me a dollar (short book). So it has less leeway, although as a first in series it could make it up in series read throughs. Should be an interesting experiment.

Online Tizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 14, 2018, 08:27:06 AM »
What I've found is that having a budget of $50 a day doesn't do much. In that sense the ads aren't scalable. And really high bids don't always do much either. I have a few that I put high ($1.50 or so) and they didn't spur that ad to burn through its budget. But if you're at 45 cents right now? Try to go up a bit.

Gonna try this, since my highest atm is $0.45 indeed and my ACPC is $0.2 for that KW. Daily limit on my ad is $4, so it's not like I'm gonna break the bank :P

Online Tizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 14, 2018, 11:46:38 AM »
Gonna try this, since my highest atm is $0.45 indeed and my ACPC is $0.2 for that KW. Daily limit on my ad is $4, so it's not like I'm gonna break the bank :P

Raised bid to $0.6 on main keywords. I'm now appearing on the first part of the bottom carousel for my chosen author/books. If I get a good enough sell-through upping it to put me on the first carousel might be a good idea.

Edit: Typo had me write "not" instead of "now," which casually changed the whole meaning of my post, duh. Gonna have to hire an editor for my forum posts so they can catch these :P
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:08:08 PM by Tizzy »

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 14, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
Hope it works guys. It's always worth experimenting, especially if you can do so without spending too much. I've had to adjust how I approach my ads over time because the system is so dynamic.

Blog

Offline HilaryM

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 15, 2018, 11:06:46 AM »
Having only recently jumped on board with sponsored ads, I'm finding it a crazy ride. Where's the logic? For example, in exactly the same period one book generated 97k impressions and 266 clicks while another only 9k and 26! Or this, out of the blue, a keyword hits 213 impressions, 1 click, 1 sale! It's like gambling - not that I indulge very often, I hasten to add - but do I raise my bid on those keywords doing well to see if they generate a really healthy number of sales? Or will it be Murphy's Law, and the moment I touch it everything will turn to custard and all I end up with is a large bill at the end of the month! I've never hit my budget, a measly $5 per day, but the thrill of seeing a few more sales and a jump in the sales rankings is becoming dangerously attractive!

Hilary Murray | Website | Facebook

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #433 on: January 15, 2018, 11:37:39 AM »
I've clicked through this thread searching for the keyword paperback, but without much joy.

I have a paperback I need to promote, but I find my current Sponsored Product ad mentions only the Kindle edition. Will it show other editions if I switch to Product Display? And I've only ever used Keywords. What does (Interest) do that keywords do not?
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 15, 2018, 11:49:10 AM »
I've clicked through this thread searching for the keyword paperback, but without much joy.

I have a paperback I need to promote, but I find my current Sponsored Product ad mentions only the Kindle edition. Will it show other editions if I switch to Product Display? And I've only ever used Keywords. What does (Interest) do that keywords do not?

I pretty much exclusively use Sponsored Product ads. For one of my non-fiction titles AMS is the only advertising I've ever done on it and about 2/3 of my sales are in paperback for that title. That ad right now is showing $2,000 in estimated sales. So, however the magic works, when you run an SP (or Product Display) ad on your ebook, it leads to paperback sales if a paperback is available and that's the preferred format for that reader.

I personally think Sponsored Products are the better choice for non-fiction because those are the ad type that show when someone does a general search on Amazon. Others have had good success running PD ads on non-fiction titles, too. And the two ads don't seem to interfere with one another, so you could try both at once and see which one performs better.

If you target an ad by interest that's more like putting a book in a category than going after specific authors/titles. It's much simpler to set up, but you don't have granular control to turn off underperforming keywords.

Blog

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 15, 2018, 12:01:05 PM »

As I mentioned somewhere, either on this thread or the other AMS thread, one of my SP ads ends with "also available in paperback."  when someone clicks on the ad, it takes them to the book page, and Paperback is one of the options easily visible.

ETA:  The ad works, as my paperback sales increased dramatically since I began running it.  Not to blockbuster proportions, obviously, but better than they had been.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 12:15:14 PM by Jena H »
Jena