Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: A New AMS Thread  (Read 16952 times)  

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
Re: A New AMS Thread
« Reply #275 on: December 05, 2017, 01:16:49 PM »
I'm seeing some definite dashboard wonkiness. My graph and my recent sales disagree. So, it's not just you.

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline Laura Rae Amos

• Metro DC
    • View Profile
    • LauraRaeAmos.com
« Reply #276 on: December 07, 2017, 07:14:30 AM »
I don't know what to do about my AMS ads. I think I might just kill them completely. They were great at first, very profitable even, for a while (from late 2016 through summer of 2017), but now I haven't had a sale from them in months. Only clicks, no sales. They just suck money. Old ads, new ads, they all stopped selling completely and I have no idea why. Same book covers, same ad copy, same rates (although I have tried both putting rates up and down). The books are selling as expected with other promotions, but not AMS. Plenty of clicks, though, which is costing me.

The last sale attributed to any of my AMS campaigns was back in September. Since then:

Ad A, for F&B, fresh ad, 24 clicks, no sales
Ad B, for EWTF, fresh ad, 43 clicks, no sales
Ad C, for F&B, older ad (sold 3 previously), ~50 new clicks since September, no new sales
Ad D, for EWTF, older ad (sold 17 previously), ~30 new clicks since August, no new sales

Across the board, they're all about 1 click to 1000 impressions, which I hear is average enough.

The novels are regularly $4.99 and used to get a sale per about ~20 clicks. I used to get a sale per ~10 clicks at 99c. But now, even when the books are discounted, still no bites over a combined ~150 clicks.

I don't get it why they just stopped dead like that.

And I'm out about $20 in clicks that haven't gotten me any sales, which is not the most money I've ever wasted on a dud promotion, but still. I don't like to flush money down the toilet.  ???

^ All novels, 99c this week!!! // Visit me at LauraRaeAmos.com // Tweets @LauraRaeAmos // Or chat on Facebook

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 07, 2017, 08:14:28 AM »
When I pulled my fiction books from KU I found I wasn't getting enough paid sales off of them anymore to pay for the clicks. I tried new ads, I tried high bid, low bid, etc. I'm still able to get the ads to work on fiction that's in KU (I put some new titles in), but they're definitely not as profitable as they were a year ago. Non-fiction still seems to be working okay for me. I do think the ads are more difficult to run on older books that have had ads running for a while than they were at this time last year or even this past spring. (So typical Amazon pattern of favoring newer material...) The other thing is that AMS seem to perform better if you have some sort of momentum on a book already, either organic sales or other promo that get your book moving.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Offline khotisarque

• California
    • View Profile
    • Khoti Sarque
« Reply #278 on: December 07, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »
We can only guess at what is happening, but take a look at the SP ads on any book page.  Far too many to cycle through, poor or zero relevance; they do not attract me, now that the novelty has worn off.  Huge competition for 'visibility' but no unglazed eyeballs.  AMS is undoubtedly making money, so they won't change the process.

Essentially, AMS has allowed the product to become degraded and ineffective.  If their cash flow drops enough, they may reform or they may just drop the concept for authors.  Meanwhile, it sells books for established names and provides limited low-cost exposure for the rest of us if our expectations are low and our spending is cautious.
Fine and Nifty: 80%

Barebones: 5%
Moderation in all things, especially in moderation.
khoti sarque | blog

Offline Laura Rae Amos

• Metro DC
    • View Profile
    • LauraRaeAmos.com
« Reply #279 on: December 07, 2017, 11:03:37 AM »
When I pulled my fiction books from KU I found I wasn't getting enough paid sales off of them anymore to pay for the clicks. I tried new ads, I tried high bid, low bid, etc. I'm still able to get the ads to work on fiction that's in KU (I put some new titles in), but they're definitely not as profitable as they were a year ago. Non-fiction still seems to be working okay for me. I do think the ads are more difficult to run on older books that have had ads running for a while than they were at this time last year or even this past spring. (So typical Amazon pattern of favoring newer material...) The other thing is that AMS seem to perform better if you have some sort of momentum on a book already, either organic sales or other promo that get your book moving.

I'm not in KU at all, and I know that's not helping me make these ads turn a profit. It didn't use to matter, but I guess it does now.

We can only guess at what is happening, but take a look at the SP ads on any book page.  Far too many to cycle through, poor or zero relevance; they do not attract me, now that the novelty has worn off.  Huge competition for 'visibility' but no unglazed eyeballs.

I was just wondering about this, and I bet you're totally right. Readers are probably sick of seeing them.

^ All novels, 99c this week!!! // Visit me at LauraRaeAmos.com // Tweets @LauraRaeAmos // Or chat on Facebook

Offline katie78

• Tucson, AZ
  • I'm a hybrid author with several published novels.
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #280 on: December 07, 2017, 03:08:48 PM »
I don't know what to do about my AMS ads. I think I might just kill them completely. They were great at first, very profitable even, for a while (from late 2016 through summer of 2017), but now I haven't had a sale from them in months. Only clicks, no sales. They just suck money. Old ads, new ads, they all stopped selling completely and I have no idea why. Same book covers, same ad copy, same rates (although I have tried both putting rates up and down). The books are selling as expected with other promotions, but not AMS. Plenty of clicks, though, which is costing me.

The last sale attributed to any of my AMS campaigns was back in September. Since then:

Ad A, for F&B, fresh ad, 24 clicks, no sales
Ad B, for EWTF, fresh ad, 43 clicks, no sales
Ad C, for F&B, older ad (sold 3 previously), ~50 new clicks since September, no new sales
Ad D, for EWTF, older ad (sold 17 previously), ~30 new clicks since August, no new sales

Across the board, they're all about 1 click to 1000 impressions, which I hear is average enough.

The novels are regularly $4.99 and used to get a sale per about ~20 clicks. I used to get a sale per ~10 clicks at 99c. But now, even when the books are discounted, still no bites over a combined ~150 clicks.

I don't get it why they just stopped dead like that.

And I'm out about $20 in clicks that haven't gotten me any sales, which is not the most money I've ever wasted on a dud promotion, but still. I don't like to flush money down the toilet.  ???
do you use authors as keywords? best-sellers in your genre changing faster than you update your list?

Offline Laura Rae Amos

• Metro DC
    • View Profile
    • LauraRaeAmos.com
« Reply #281 on: December 07, 2017, 04:13:47 PM »
do you use authors as keywords? best-sellers in your genre changing faster than you update your list?

I have lots of authors and book titles on there (or well, ~250 keywords, most of which are author names), both best-sellers and some moderate sellers too. I'm in literary/women's fiction, which I think is pretty steady compared to some genres. The best-sellers are usually pretty constant. At least the ones I'm using are.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 07, 2017, 04:57:27 PM »
I have lots of authors and book titles on there (or well, ~250 keywords, most of which are author names), both best-sellers and some moderate sellers too. I'm in literary/women's fiction, which I think is pretty steady compared to some genres. The best-sellers are usually pretty constant. At least the ones I'm using are.

I don't write in the same genre, but in my ad, author names are not very effective.  (Even so, I do have some very prominent author names and book titles/series as keywords.  Because you never know.)

Anyway, what I've found works for me is to imagine exactly who I want to read my books and use those words as keywords.  For example, for women's fiction, you might want to use words such as "friendship, womens friendships, womens relationships, morning coffee, mature woman," etc.  You're probably already doing that, but just want to point out that I've had more luck with these more general terms than with author/book names.
Jena

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 07, 2017, 05:03:04 PM »
I don't write in the same genre, but in my ad, author names are not very effective.  (Even so, I do have some very prominent author names and book titles/series as keywords.  Because you never know.)

Anyway, what I've found works for me is to imagine exactly who I want to read my books and use those words as keywords.  For example, for women's fiction, you might want to use words such as "friendship, womens friendships, womens relationships, morning coffee, mature woman," etc.  You're probably already doing that, but just want to point out that I've had more luck with these more general terms than with author/book names.

Also try those mysterious subcategories that are listed when you look at someone's book. You can't necessarily place your book in them, but you can use keywords either in KDP or in AMS ads to get a hearing in those subcats.

Offline Accord64

• View Profile
    • Bruce Fottler Author Facebook Page
« Reply #284 on: December 08, 2017, 08:24:34 AM »
I recently noticed that the last letter on one of my ads gets cut in half because it's spaced to the far right (runs off the page). I've seen this in other ads as well. It shows up in both Chrome and Firefox browsers, regardless of zoom levels. Some ads have more than one letter cut off. I emailed screenshots to AMS and they are investigating.

An update on this issue (in case anyone was wondering). I received this reply today:

"After further investigation, the marketing team was able to identify what is causing the cut off text and they have reached out to the websites technical team to resolve this issue. It is taking longer than normal for this to be resolved and we appreciate your understanding as the teams work quickly to fix this."

One of my SP ads is in limbo until it's fixed, because it looks like it has a typo the way it's displayed.

You might want to check your active ads to make sure this issue isn't effecting them.

Offline katie78

• Tucson, AZ
  • I'm a hybrid author with several published novels.
    • View Profile
    • Katie O'Rourke
« Reply #285 on: December 08, 2017, 04:24:39 PM »
i'm in women's fiction, too. i try to keep my list updated with the top 100 author names as it changes somewhat week to week.

i find promo advice very genre dependent. is women's/contemporary fiction a less typical indie genre?

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 08, 2017, 06:48:00 PM »
i'm in women's fiction, too. i try to keep my list updated with the top 100 author names as it changes somewhat week to week.

i find promo advice very genre dependent. is women's/contemporary fiction a less typical indie genre?

I'd call women's fiction a less crowded subgenre than contemporary, which is utterly crowded and especially so with scam books, ghostwritten books, inappropriately categorized erotica, etc. For contemporary, it's best to have a secure subgenre (e.g., romantic comedy, western, biker, etc.) and advertising on a regular basis.

My best-producing keyword for sales of one of my women's fiction titles costs $0.34 as an average. On a daily basis it may cost more. My bid is much higher, and I also have that book priced at $5.99, but KU accounts for at least 50% of the action, and my cut of the KU for that title is just over $2.00. That means I lose money on the transaction if it takes more than 6 clicks of that particular keyword to get me a full read. The conundrum is that other keywords may be producing more reads and at a lower cost, but I have no way of knowing because Amazon won't tell. That ad overall is profitable.

Offline Laura Rae Amos

• Metro DC
    • View Profile
    • LauraRaeAmos.com
« Reply #287 on: December 09, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »
Anyway, what I've found works for me is to imagine exactly who I want to read my books and use those words as keywords.  For example, for women's fiction, you might want to use words such as "friendship, womens friendships, womens relationships, morning coffee, mature woman," etc.

Yes! These do get some hits. It's harder to guess what phrases people might search with, but they do work sometimes. "chick lit" "love" and "marriage" have gotten some clicks for me, and even a couple of sales. It's hard to imagine people search for such vague things, but I guess they do!

Also try those mysterious subcategories that are listed when you look at someone's book. You can't necessarily place your book in them, but you can use keywords either in KDP or in AMS ads to get a hearing in those subcats.

Good idea! There's a couple more keywords I could add.

That's interesting. Do you leave them on the list after they're not bestsellers anymore?

My best-producing keyword for sales of one of my women's fiction titles costs $0.34 as an average. On a daily basis it may cost more. My bid is much higher, and I also have that book priced at $5.99, but KU accounts for at least 50% of the action, and my cut of the KU for that title is just over $2.00. That means I lose money on the transaction if it takes more than 6 clicks of that particular keyword to get me a full read. The conundrum is that other keywords may be producing more reads and at a lower cost, but I have no way of knowing because Amazon won't tell. That ad overall is profitable.

Wow, costs $0.34? I bet that adds up fast! I have to say, I'm probably bidding way too low to show up for many of the better selling women's fic authors, and nobody's going to click through 40-something pages to get to my book. And without being in KU, I'm always going to make half of what everybody else is making on these things. 

Ah well, I know I need to get my head down and finish more books anyway.

Offline Harald

• me gusta nadar
    • View Profile
    • HaraldJohnson.com
« Reply #288 on: December 10, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »
Hey Cassie... I guess you're referring my old "AMS Ads Learning" thread, and you're right: at 74 pages, it's a bit unwieldy! ;-). Glad you started up this one. Real quick, here's an update from me on my Drip-Drip Strategy for a single running campaign for a $0.99 series opener (historical fiction novella):
* 253 consecutive running days
* 413 keywords, 33 of which are selling
* still keeping my bids low: aCPC is $0.02; range of selling keywords: 0.02-0.05
* all selling keywords are under 35% ACoS
* overall campaign ACoS is 23% so paying for itself in "raw" terms (+ bonus of KU reads, follow-on sales, etc.). Trickle Effect continues to work.
* 500 Impressions per Click; 11.7 Clicks per Sale
* am busy working on my Omnibus edition so only checking in on this campaign x1/week and recording major stats and adjusting keywords as needed. Once 500-page omnibus is out will probably pause this and shift attention to the larger book.

Will now go back and read/skim over your 12 pages. Pray that you don't get to 74! :)

Fiction starting with The Manhattan Series novellas (1609+). Older work is non-fiction.
Website | FacebookBook Cover Reviews discussion group