Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: New Kindle Oasis!  (Read 17954 times)  

Offline ccorrice

• View Profile
New Kindle Oasis!
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:38:43 PM »
So I was just on the Amazon app and screenshot this.... Had to register to share....
New 7" screen
Waterproofed
Audible

Offline John Hopper

• View Profile
Re: New Kindle Oasis!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 11:42:53 PM »
So I was just on the Amazon app and screenshot this.... Had to register to share....
New 7" screen
Waterproofed
Audible
I don't see it anywhere.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline ccorrice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:56:29 PM »
Board won't let me post a picture.... It's in the Amazon app on Android and iPhone.... Banner on top.... When you click it it says page not found. I have a screen cap if I can post it.

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
  • Reading Amanda Ashley, and Christine Feehan Books.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 01:46:25 AM »
I don't see it. I only see the banner for Echo...

(Make your own reading bar)A Kindle 1, 3 (Keyboard), and Paperwhite owner. I just love reading romance novels :P

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 04:19:31 AM »
There's been rumors that there might be something new for this fall holiday shopping season. . . . .

It's possible it was a trial page that was accidentally live for a short time, but it's certainly not there now.

If legit, I'm disappointed . . . . I have no need for waterproofing so if that's the only improvement I'll probably not even be looking. Especially if it's only on the Oasis. :( But maybe there will be other models with other improvements as well.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 04:34:41 AM »
Well, it sounds like it has sound, too, which I know Ann would not use but has been asked for?  Here is an article (citing KBoards!) with the screenshot:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2017/10/11/leaked-new-kindle-oasis-7-screen-waterproof/

It looks like it also has a more traditional shape instead of the squarish one, but still wider bezel on one side.

I might be interested...

Betsy
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:37:24 AM by Betsy the Quilter »
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 05:03:45 AM »
Good find, Betsy!

It does look to have a different height/width ratio, based on that picture. If it's a 7" diagonal, vs 6" diagonal, that would be why. I'd definitely want to know what it is new/different/better. Neither waterproofing nor audible support interest me. :(

Also, an announcement about a new Oasis accidentally leaked doesn't mean that's the ONLY device that will be undergoing improvements. . . just that the info on others maybe didn't get leaked. ;)

I'm confused about the comment in the digital reader blog that it "won't be launching until September". Wonder if that really means 11 months from now, or was a typo and they meant November.

Also, in the mobile read thread linked to there (longish thread, here's today's post of interest: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3591769#post3591769), they talk about a press event that was supposed to be yesterday but clearly wasn't. Wonder what's going on there?

There's also this post (linked in the mobile read thread) on reddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comments/75hu4b/rumor_new_kindle_oasis_2017/ which points to a Brazilian tech blog post that's since been removed apparently.

I guess we'll see before too long. Not going to get too excited until I see something REAL and PERMANENT on Amazon.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:05:43 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 05:39:09 AM »
New 7" screen
Waterproofed
Audible

Board won't let me post a picture.... It's in the Amazon app on Android and iPhone.... Banner on top.... When you click it it says page not found. I have a screen cap if I can post it.

Thanks, ccorrice, for letting us know about this and welcome to KBoards!

To post a picture, you need to have the image hosted somewhere else on the Internet, and then put a link to the image between img tags (tap on the button above the smiley faces) like this [img]http://www.kboards.com/Themes/default/images/bbc/img.gif[/img]

Betsy

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 05:43:13 AM »

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 06:39:07 AM »
Waterproof? Never had any need of that. No interest in that. audible? Maybe. As someone that still has trouble using audible books and retain anything, I sometimes switch back and forth. But since I only read on my kindles, I had to do the switch device trick before. Or listen to the Echo in between. But its not something I need or want really. Larger device? Not sure about that. It will be heavier and I am so used to the 6 inch screen now, but thats the only thing I might check out. I believe in one of the rumors it says light sensor. I think it was the brazilian site. So that would suggest the adjustable light like on the Voyage. Which I ended up turning off at some point as it kept going up and down as I was leaning next to my side lamp.

But, but but. NEW KINDLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its about time we had some new kindle talk around here. No matter what it will be, I get exited when that happens.  ;D

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline cko1xxxx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 06:45:52 AM »
I just checked Kindle in Amazon and there are 5 new Oasis for preorder.  They say the will be shipped October 31, 2017.  The prices seem to vary between $267 to $367 for no discernible reason and there seems to be no info on whether or not they have covers with batteries or whether there are various colored covers available.  They are waterproof and have blue-tooth for audio books and come with 32 GB or 8 GB.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 06:47:47 AM »
Betsy or Ann, can you make sure its a proper KB link? I couldn't find it in the link maker so I followed something else from KB to it.
https://www.amazon.com/Staging-Product-Not-Retail-Sale/dp/B06XD5YCKX/ref=sr_tr_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1507729505&sr=8-7&keywords=oasis

It starts at 249, the cover is not included and all the battery is in the device, not the cover.  Light adapter.
Also, for audible, you have to pair with a bluetooth so I don't think it has speakers on the device. Headphones, or external speaker needed.

Press release
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2305986

Personalized comfort --read your book your way

There are more ways to personalize your reading settings on Kindle Oasis than ever before so you can enjoy your book the way you prefer:

New Font Size and Bold Settings: Now choose from more font sizes than ever before--and five levels of boldness--for whichever font you choose to read with. Combined with the new, 7-inch Paperwhite display, you can personalize your books so it's perfectly comfortable for your eyes.
New Accessibility Options: In addition to the OpenDyslexic font, we've added a feature to invert black and white on the display if you have light sensitivity. The new enlarged display option also lets you increase the size of items like the text on the home screen and library as well as the book icons to make the all-new Kindle Oasis easier to read.
Light Settings: Built-in ambient light sensors automatically adjust the display to your surroundings whether you're in a dimly-lit room or outside in the sun--and can be fine-tuned even further based on personal preferences.
Ragged Right Alignment: You can now read using left-aligned (ragged right) text.
Starting today, the new size and bold settings as well as ragged right alignment will be delivered as a free, over-the-air update to Kindle Paperwhite (Gen 6 released in 2013), plus all newer Kindle devices.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:01:03 AM by Atunah »

Offline caneman

• Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 06:59:48 AM »
All-New Kindle Oasis E-reader 7″ High-Resolution Display (300 ppi), Waterproof, Built-In Audible, 32 GB, Wi-Fi Includes Special Offers $279.99 bucks
8GB for 250 bucks I am in will work great will my new 10 inch Fire !!
will be released on October 31, 2017.
All-New Fire HD 10 64GB
Kobo Aura,Nook Hd+ running Android 7.0,PW2,Kobo Mini 32GBs,Sony PRS-350,Fire HD8 32GB!

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 07:12:52 AM »
I just checked Kindle in Amazon and there are 5 new Oasis for preorder.  They say the will be shipped October 31, 2017.  The prices seem to vary between $267 to $367 for no discernible reason and there seems to be no info on whether or not they have covers with batteries or whether there are various colored covers available.  They are waterproof and have blue-tooth for audio books and come with 32 GB or 8 GB.

The price variation is, I'm sure, due to the storage capacity differences, with or with out SOs, and with or without 3G.

Atunah, I think your link is good . . . I searched Amazon for the ASIN shown and got to the same page. Not yet discoverable via KB linkmaker, but this'll do it:

https://smile.amazon.com/Staging-Product-Not-Retail-Sale/dp/B06X6CQLJG/?tag=kbpst-20

If you go looking for Oasis on Amazon now, this is where you end up. :D

Here are specs:

7" vs 6" on all others
waterproof to about a 6 ft depth for up to 60 minutes in fresh water
audible enabled
8 GB storage vs 4 GB on other models, 32 GB available (which if you want to use audible a lot you'd probably want)
12 lights, up from 10 on previous model; Voyage has 6, PW has 4. Also, adaptive sensor as the Voyage has (which I quite like)
screen resolution is the same -- 300dpi
color is graphite with aluminum back, so not black.
Same battery life
size and weight slightly greater.

3 cover color options: merlot, midnight, saddle tan Link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X8Z4BLG/?tag=kbpst-20
cover now has a fold so it can be used as a stand.

There are also fabric (non-leather) cover options in charcoal, indigo and sandstone Link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X8ZV2WR/?tag=kbpst-20

The covers do appear to cost EXTRA . . . leather ones are $59.99, fabric ones are $44.99 so be sure to factor that in when comparing price to the original Oasis.

If, as the press release indicates, the covers don't have batteries, that opens the door for 3rd party (more interesting colors and patterns) covers. And I expect some of the software improvements may come to existing models via an update.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:20:44 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 07:23:15 AM »
Here's a picture that nicely shows it in comparison to the Voyage and PW (sizewise)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:51:19 AM by Betsy the Quilter »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 07:24:22 AM »
And a size diagram:

Compare to original Oasis:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:32:25 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 07:28:56 AM »
Wow that's big.  :o

It weighs 194 grams, compared to the Paperwhite which is 205g and the Voyage which is 180g. So its a wee bit heavier than the Voyage and a wee bit lighter than the Paperwhite. All measures on wifi model and all without cover.

I am planning on getting one. I have lots of points built up so it won't actually cost me anything. I keep all my points for kindle devices, but since I haven't bought one since the Oasis1, its built up nicely. I can even spring for a leather cover. But I am still waffling over the color on that right now. As always, I am in no hurry. I might wait for the first batch to get to customers and read all about it here.  ;D

Online CAR

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 07:29:55 AM »

The covers do appear to cost EXTRA . . . leather ones are $59.99, fabric ones are $44.99 so be sure to factor that in when comparing price to the original Oasis.

If, as the press release indicates, the covers don't have batteries, that opens the door for 3rd party (more interesting colors and patterns) covers. And I expect some of the software improvements may come to existing models via an update.

Looks like they managed to squeeze a bigger battery into the New 7" Kindle Oasis.   I would bet it is slightly thicker overall then the previous Oasis model.

Edit: From the posted specs picture ... the back battery "bulge" may be slightly bigger but not thicker overall then the previous Oasis model?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:36:49 AM by CAR »

K2US v2.5.7 / 2x(One is SO)K3 White 3G/Wi-Fi + Oberon Bold Celtic in Black / 2x PW2 3G W/O / Voyage 3G W/O / PW3 3G W/O / Oasis 3g W/O

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 07:30:06 AM »
I now have to decide if I should sell back one of my 3 kindles and buy the new one. ::)  If I sell back Ed's basic one, I could pass either the Voyage or original Oasis on to him. He doesn't use it all that often anyway, but I think would appreciate the light. I tried to read on the basic when mine were both unaccountably out of juice, and it wasn't pleasant. :o

Kind of annoyed I just bought a used Oasis for my son . . . it was a good deal but, if I'd known, I could have just given him mine as an excuse to buy the new one. ;)

I like that I can buy it without the cover -- if there's no battery, I don't see the need for the Amazon branded one which are almost always more expensive than 3rd party options.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 07:31:26 AM »
Looks like they managed to squeeze a bigger battery into the New 7" Kindle Oasis.  I would bet it is slightly thicker overall then the previous Oasis model.

I was looking for the old Oasis page, but because I got mine through Best Buy, I don't have it in my Amazon orders and can't link to it. Maybe someone who did get it from Amazon can find the original Oasis specs for comparison.

(Hope they didn't squeeze a bigger battery into too small a space; 'cause that's what happened with those Samsung phones. :o )

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline avivs

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 07:41:13 AM »
First thought - yey! Bigger screen and lower price!
Second thought - not including a cover, and the cover doesn't have battery. so the device itself is heavier and it will be almost impossible to read it with one hand. So... What's the point of this design if you can't easily hold it in one hand?

And the 12 lights instead of 10 is only reasonable considering the biggest screen.

I will skip this one. They actually made the Kindle itself more expensive and less easy to hold. Great.

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
  • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »
What is the price? The top says $249, the listing says $299.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 08:12:20 AM »
It depends on what model.

The 8GB wifi with special offers is $249.

So there are a few combinations with wifi/3G, special or no special offers, 8GB or 32GB of storage.

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »
I've had my Kindle Voyage for a little over 2 years now and I love it but I spend a lot of time in the summer by the pool at my girlfriends parents house and a waterproof kindle would be very nice to have because then I can also read while floating in the pool. I also like the bigger screen on it as well. Now to convince the girlfriend that this is a good thing to buy.

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
  • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 08:15:45 AM »
It depends on what model.

The 8GB wifi with special offers is $249.

So there are a few combinations with wifi/3G, special or no special offers, 8GB or 32GB of storage.

Thanks. I see that now.

Best bang for the buck, IMO, is 32GB with special offers (turned off by default, so choose it to save money) for $279.

Deciding whether I need 32GB. My Paperwhite 2 couldn't exactly handle it when I had too many books on there. Nothing convinces me that Amazon will be able to handle 32GB of books well.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:22:29 AM by CS »