Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: New Kindle Oasis!  (Read 18042 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: New Kindle Oasis!
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2017, 04:51:59 AM »
I can afford it but i don't need two. Lol

You have a phone, or tablet? Maybe that could fill in in the mean time.

Or order and don't do the trade in until after the new one comes. You may then never use the $20 for a new kindle -- or you may use it on one you buy for someone as a gift. The old Oasis is worth $100 last I checked. Or, you might get more selling it direct to someone.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline crisandria

• CT
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2017, 05:05:32 AM »
Now the "fun" part,  organizing the content of my current kindle so that I can quickly get the new Kindle Oasis setup when it gets here.  I have a combination of stuff purchased from Amazon, a slew of samples (some so old that the book are no longer available, as well as sent before they started keep samples in the cloud), some personal content sent thru Amazon, and some side loaded. 

This is the one aspect I definitely dislike about getting a new kindle, there has to be an easier way to transfer content between kindles.
crisandria

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2017, 08:08:43 AM »
The side bezel of the new kindle, where the buttons are, is hugh. Why so big? And the buttons seems to be too much to the side, instead of being in the center of the bezel.

https://youtu.be/LKUxb0luQEk

Agreed. They needed a way to house the big battery since it's no longer on the case.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2017, 08:24:12 AM »
The button placement looks good to me.  Not often, but occasionally with the current Oasis when I had my thumb lightly on the page turn button it would touch the screen and turn several pages before I realized it.  This new placement appears same distance from edge of device but a tad further from the screen so less likely to accidentally touch. 
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2017, 08:27:47 AM »
I prefer the buttons closer to the edge. It makes it much easier for me to just rest a thumb there. Its the whole reason I don't like reading on an all touch screen kindle like the paperwhite. Where i have to turn my thumb in so far. I always loved the buttons on the K3 and the basic/button kindle for that reason. But the current Oasis is quite good and I expect the new one to be also. The bezel, I like it bigger. On my Voyage, I have a hard time holding it, without changing pages when the side of my thumb touches the screen. I have small hands and its hard to hold it with the right balance and keep the thumb so far over. I can't get a grip. Its why I like this design already, with the wedge and the buttons where they are.
Of course I have to try this larger device to see, but since one can reverse the buttons to back and forward, I am sure I can make either of them work for paging.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »
It would mean you get what you get for the trade in as a gift card you can use on anything PLUS $20 that you have to spend on a new kindle.

I see so many people on here talking about points. What are these points and how do you get/earn them?

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2017, 09:01:23 AM »
I see so many people on here talking about points. What are these points and how do you get/earn them?

They might just mean gift card credit.

But you also can earn points from the Amazon Visa card or the Amazon store card and then apply those points to purchases on Amazon. You can also apply them to the balance on your credit card or just have them send you a check. But if you just let them accumulate, you can rack up a fair bit that you can then use to get a nice discount on a larger purchase at Amazon.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2017, 09:06:39 AM »
I get points from my Amazon CC and from my CapitalOne card. I save those up usually for kindle stuff. The Amazon CC, those are right there in the checkout, for my other one I do eraser. So I buy something on that card, like the Oasis,  then I use points to erase that purchase. Or I can purchase a mailed in gift card and apply that to my account.

I bought my first Oasis with those points also.  ;D

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2017, 09:11:39 AM »

But you also can earn points from the Amazon Visa card or the Amazon store card and then apply those points to purchases on Amazon. You can also apply them to the balance on your credit card or just have them send you a check. But if you just let them accumulate, you can rack up a fair bit that you can then use to get a nice discount on a larger purchase at Amazon.

Ah ok, I wasn't sure if there was some special Kindle point building system that I wasn't aware of.

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2017, 09:21:58 AM »

Amazon store card just made the switch to points being applied toward Purchasing. Is this done during checkout?  Also. I saw someone say that trade in's usually have 30 days to mail kindle.  I wonder if that changed recently as well.  I did a trade in yesterday and the email said I had until the 19th to get my voyage to ups
Totals Read in 2014: Books-9  Pgs-3,156  Loc-44,841

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2017, 09:23:43 AM »
Ah ok, I wasn't sure if there was some special Kindle point building system that I wasn't aware of.

I could totally get behind that perk ;D

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2017, 09:26:49 AM »
The more you read, the more points you get?  :P

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2017, 09:30:36 AM »
I could totally get behind that perk ;D
The more you read, the more points you get?  [emoji14]
Maybe we should suggest it to Amazon?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2017, 09:55:44 AM »
I just looked in my content and devices and as device name for the new Oasis they have in there "Dummy String". What the heck lol. All the other devices have their proper names, Oasis, Voyage, Kindle keyboard, etc.

Offline drafter69

• Western New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2017, 10:15:44 AM »
I decided to spring for this new model. I like that the page is larger and especially like that is ready for Audible Books.   The waterproof part is not important to me. 

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2017, 10:33:52 AM »
Also. I saw someone say that trade in's usually have 30 days to mail kindle.  I wonder if that changed recently as well.  I did a trade in yesterday and the email said I had until the 19th to get my voyage to ups

I thought it was 30 days -- I'm pretty sure that has been the case when you're returning one under warranty and they've shipped the replacement right away. If they don't get it back within 30 days, they charge you for the new one.

But it's been a while since I did a trade in, so it could be less. In fact, now that I think about it, it makes sense that it would be. The price the offer is only good for a limited time.

Sorry for any confusion.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2017, 10:37:54 AM »
I just looked in my content and devices and as device name for the new Oasis they have in there "Dummy String". What the heck lol. All the other devices have their proper names, Oasis, Voyage, Kindle keyboard, etc.

The device name for me is "Ann's 6th Kindle" . . . but as to the type of device, it's called "Dummy String". Which is probably not a good choice to actually market it as. ::) :P

I was able to change the name. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2017, 10:40:09 AM »
The device name for me is "Ann's 6th Kindle" . . . but as to the type of device, it's called "Dummy String". Which is probably not a good choice to actually market it as. ::) :P

I was able to change the name. :)
I never change the name until I can look at them. Then I know what to call them.  ;D

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2017, 10:51:18 AM »
I thought it was 30 days -- I'm pretty sure that has been the case when you're returning one under warranty and they've shipped the replacement right away. If they don't get it back within 30 days, they charge you for the new one.

But it's been a while since I did a trade in, so it could be less. In fact, now that I think about it, it makes sense that it would be. The price the offer is only good for a limited time.

Sorry for any confusion.
No worries I was just curious and thinking at a keyboard

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2017, 11:16:47 AM »
I want!  Though, I don't need, since I got the version 1 Oasis about a year ago, so I think I'll wait. Or.... I can trade in my Oasis and my voyage and apply my Discover Card cash back and it wouldn't cost me anything out of pocket. Humm.... decisions, decisions!   ???

Want to mention that if you use Ebates, you can currently earn 3% cash back on Kindle E-readers. Another thing for the plus column!  :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:29:35 PM by cagnes »

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline Lizzarddance

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2017, 03:47:38 PM »
A few months back I posted about how I wish the Kindle had a bigger screen and most pretty much poo poo-ed it and said it would never happen. HA! I knew it would happen eventually since the Kobo release. I'm trading in my Oasis and should get $100 plus $20. I just can't decide if I want the 3G or not. I also have an additional $20 from the last Kindle I traded in. I wonder if they would combine that with this trade in?
Since March '08

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
  • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 14, 2017, 11:28:02 AM »
I just pre-ordered the 32GB with s/o and it shows it will arrive on release day.

I am going to wait to get a cover for it. I'm hoping there will be a pink 3rd party cover available. Although I've found I like reading on the Voyage with just a handstrap attached, so maybe I won't even need an O2 cover.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline kschles

• Laurel, Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 14, 2017, 12:28:13 PM »
I am totally pathetic. I have an Oasis that I love. Ive often thought that there really isnt any way to improve the Oasis. And yet...I dont really care about audible books or the device being waterproof. But that 30% larger screen really is appealing. Also like the aluminum construction. At first I ordered an 8GB model without SO. Since that wouldnt ship until Nov 13, I changed the order to a 32GB model; which will ship on Oct 31. Like I said, Im totally pathetic.
Ken

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2017, 12:36:17 PM »
I am totally pathetic. I have an Oasis that I love. Ive often thought that there really isnt any way to improve the Oasis. And yet...I dont really care about audible books or the device being waterproof. But that 30% larger screen really is appealing. Also like the aluminum construction. At first I ordered an 8GB model without SO. Since that wouldnt ship until Nov 13, I changed the order to a 32GB model; which will ship on Oct 31. Like I said, Im totally pathetic.
You think you are pathetic? After I read your post I thought, hmmm, should I cancel my 8GB Oasis order that gets her on the 3rd of November and get the 32G so i can have it in the first wave? Really? I don't need 32G. I have almost 2  GB space available on my Oasis and I have over 400 books in it right now. So 8 is plenty for me. Since I don't really do audio books and if I did, it would be one at a time and I believe there is space to have those books and a couple of audio books if needed.

I am trying to talk myself out of getting the 32G basically, just so I can get it 3 days sooner.

Sigh. I rather use the money saved on storage on a cover down the line, once I know what the leathers are like and if they are suede type or not. Otherwise I'll get a fabric one.

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 14, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »
You think you are pathetic.  I ordered the cellular model even though it was 32 gig which I don't need.  Then I ordered the blue cover.  Then I saw pictures of the covers and saw that the charcoal was more gray than black so I ordered that planning on cancelling the blue cover.  Then I thought I could change covers when I want and let them both stand.  That's pathetic.
Its unlucky to be superstitious.