Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: New Kindle Oasis!  (Read 18051 times)  

Offline kschles

• Laurel, Maryland
    • View Profile
Re: New Kindle Oasis!
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2017, 02:23:23 PM »
You think you are pathetic.  I ordered the cellular model even though it was 32 gig which I don't need.  Then I ordered the blue cover.  Then I saw pictures of the covers and saw that the charcoal was more gray than black so I ordered that planning on cancelling the blue cover.  Then I thought I could change covers when I want and let them both stand. pathetic That's pathetic.

I ordered a blue fabric cover which I think I'll like. Currently have a merlot cover which I also like. Reserving the option of ordering one of the leather covers. I think we're all pathetic....and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Ken

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2017, 02:28:15 PM »

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2017, 03:15:44 PM »
Gee, I'm beginning to feel pretty good about myself. :P

I don't NEED another kindle and wasn't in love with the original Oasis like a lot of you, though I do like it. I also don't have any real interest in either the audible or waterproof aspect. And most of the software improvements have come already to my current Voyage and Oasis -- both of which, again, I am still more than satisfied with.

So when I ordered one, I thought I was pretty pathetic :(

But I contented myself with ordering 8GB WiFi only with special offers and have held off ordering a cover at all. ;D So, yeah, I'm not doing too badly. ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 03:29:47 PM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 14, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »

I don't NEED another kindle and wasn't in love with the original Oasis like a lot of you, though I do like it. I also don't have any real interest in either the audible or waterproof aspect. And most of the software improvements have come already to my current Voyage and Oasis -- both of which, again, I am still more than satisfied with.

But I contented myself with ordering 8GB WiFi only with special offers and have held off ordering a cover at all. ;D So, yeah, I'm not doing too badly. ;)
We are pathetic twins. I ordered the same model and no cover for now.  ;D

Offline John Hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2017, 12:08:03 AM »
I ordered a blue fabric cover which I think I'll like. Currently have a merlot cover which I also like. Reserving the option of ordering one of the leather covers. I think we're all pathetic....and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Almost by definition we on this Forum are the biggest fans of the Kindle e-reading experience. So naturally most of us prioritise spending on the best of the range. I prefer the Voyage format to the Oasis but ordered the new Oasis without hesitation as the bigger screen and storage were my top two priorities for a new Kindle.

So let's not be too hard on ourselves, eh? [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2017, 06:55:05 PM »
The bigger screen for my old eyes is the excuse I'm going to use, but:

will it fit in my pocket?

My PW is always in my pocket when I go to town.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2017, 07:27:14 AM »
The bigger screen for my old eyes is the excuse I'm going to use, but:

will it fit in my pocket?

My PW is always in my pocket when I go to town.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The Nexus 7 you're using is probably a pretty good barometer for pockets of yours. Interior of a blazer jacket, yes. Back of jeans, not the greatest, jean jacket interior, yes. jean jacket exterior pockets, no. Beyond 6", pocket luxury goes down the drain. The 5" Sony PRS 350 is still a legend in a fit-in-pocket category.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 16, 2017, 11:00:52 AM »
The Nexus 7 you're using is probably a pretty good barometer for pockets of yours. Interior of a blazer jacket, yes. Back of jeans, not the greatest, jean jacket interior, yes. jean jacket exterior pockets, no. Beyond 6", pocket luxury goes down the drain. The 5" Sony PRS 350 is still a legend in a fit-in-pocket category.

Right. I had a no-longer-used leatherish case for my Nexus 7, and I cut it down so it fits my Paperwhite. Here it is:

That fits perfectly in my pocket.

(I had to crop that photo so I wouldn't pull an Anthony Weiner.)

In the case, it's 5.5" x 7.1".

Just checked
, and Oasis 2 is 6" x 5.6". So, it may fit.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:05:01 AM by TromboneAl »

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 16, 2017, 11:10:03 AM »
Wow, man pockets are big. I can barely get my small wallet in there. And its a small man type wallet. I cannot get my phone it any of my pockets. Its a 5.5 inch. I could barely get my 4.5 moto in it. And then I wouldn't be able to move and walk like a stick.  ;D

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2017, 12:05:11 PM »
haha. that's great. I have the exact same sleeve for my old Nexus 7. well done. that oasis will surely fit but it's gonna stick out even more ;) appreciate your ingenuity, TromboneAL
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline GSDlady

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2017, 12:20:41 PM »
I'll probably continue to use my Voyage on the go so I won't have to worry about size and scratches and enjoy reading on that big new screen at home - at least for awhile until the newness factor is over.   :)

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 16, 2017, 05:35:43 PM »
My preferred Kindle is the Paperwhite in an Amazon Paperwhite case. I have two Paperwhites and a red case and a brown case. They fit in my pants pocket, the lower pocket on my Guayabera shirt. It usually travels in the most convenient pocket with a zipper in my daypack. i also carry a power bank in my daypack...just in case. I can top off both my Paperwhites and my phone if I need to.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2017, 05:44:05 PM »

Love my Oasis, and not sure about the bigger size...so I'll wait until I see Ann's.  Plus I need to update my website and get my sewing machine serviced....
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Sedatedlife

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 16, 2017, 08:34:21 PM »
Looks like i am getting a new Christmas gift i listen to alot of audio books as well as read so the 32 gig model is for me. Does anyone know if Audio books will be able to download on the cellular connection?

Offline Mistfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 16, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »
I think I may, possibly, have just escaped the "pathetic" label, purely because my three-year-old Voyage won't recharge any more (I'm pretty sure the USB slot is kaput) and for that Amazon gave me a 15 per cent discount on a new one. When I looked, the Voyage is marked as out of stock and there's no indication it's going to come back in stock. The new Oasis therefore looked pretty compelling. They won't ship the leather cases to Australia, so I'll wait to see what else comes out. The fabric ones do look pretty good, I think.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2017, 09:08:06 PM »
I think I may, possibly, have just escaped the "pathetic" label, purely because my three-year-old Voyage won't recharge any more (I'm pretty sure the USB slot is kaput) and for that Amazon gave me a 15 per cent discount on a new one. When I looked, the Voyage is marked as out of stock and there's no indication it's going to come back in stock. The new Oasis therefore looked pretty compelling. They won't ship the leather cases to Australia, so I'll wait to see what else comes out. The fabric ones do look pretty good, I think.
Oh no, sorry about your Voyage, but yay on your coming Oasis. It was meant to be.  ;D

Offline Cindy64

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 17, 2017, 05:06:36 AM »
it looks very pretty, would definitely buy one for me and my husband. And xmas just around the corner!

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #167 on: October 17, 2017, 06:05:36 AM »
Waterproof? Never had any need of that.

LOL! For me it is absolutely vital! I like camping and nature isn't very kind to electronic devices. Nor floating on a kayak or going to the beach to enjoy a nice quiet read on/near the water.

Back in 1999, I designed an ebook reader that I intended to be waterproof just for this reason. Power would be supplied by solar cells in the bezel charging a AA-rechargeable battery. The company I worked for declined to move on the design as they didn't see any future in electronic reading devices.  ???
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2017, 06:34:02 AM »
LOL! For me it is absolutely vital! I like camping and nature isn't very kind to electronic devices. Nor floating on a kayak or going to the beach to enjoy a nice quiet read on/near the water.

Back in 1999, I designed an ebook reader that I intended to be waterproof just for this reason. Power would be supplied by solar cells in the bezel charging a AA-rechargeable battery. The company I worked for declined to move on the design as they didn't see any future in electronic reading devices.  ???
Oh wow, and the built in solar charging is one of my dream things when it comes to kindles. When we list our super wish lists, that is what I want. Never having to charge a kindle ever again.

I am sure there where some laughing at amazon when they went an made ereaders main stream with the K1. I know there were some other models already, but they went full steam ahead. Who was it that said, nobody reads book anymore?  ;D

As to water. I have taken my K3 to the beach before, but I wasn't right up to the water, not close enough to get wet. The sand was more an issue. But I get it, its important to a lot of folks. And now they get it.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2017, 06:46:53 AM »

I have to admit that it never occurred to me to take a Kindle on my kayak.  I guess I do have a use for the waterproof feature after all!

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2017, 06:51:37 AM »
I'll be the one waving at you guys from the bank, sitting in a chair while reading. While you guys paddle in your kayaks, or whatever it is called that one does in them.  ;D

If I do nature, I go to the park here and walk, but I can't read while walking. And then we sit and watch the wild life. I have taken my kindles there before, but more times than not, I just watched deers and squirrels instead of reading.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2017, 06:58:50 AM »
For me, the ONLY reason for waterproofing is for it to be protected against incidental splashing or dripping. I think I'm mostly interested in the larger screen size, which I didn't think I wanted, but does seem like a good thing now -- provided it doesn't make the whole thing too big to comfortably carry around. In which case the Voyage will still be my 'out and about' eReader.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2017, 08:23:59 AM »
.......... I think I'm mostly interested in the larger screen size, which I didn't think I wanted, but does seem like a good thing now -- provided it doesn't make the whole thing too big to comfortably carry around. In which case the Voyage will still be my 'out and about' eReader.

Here in the UK we can't borrow library books on a Kindle, they only do e-pub versions. So because I don't like reading on a tablet, I have a Kobo Aura One, which also has a 7" screen, just for library books. The 6" Kindles have never been a problem for me, but the extra size is nice to have - although to be fair, I don't really notice that much when I go back to my Kindle. The size and the ability to change the weight of fonts were the only two things I really liked about the Kobo over the Kindle. Now they've solved the font problem, I just need a 7" Voyage!

As far as practicality goes, it's not quite as convenient as the smaller ones - and the new Oasis is wider, but shorter than the 7" Kobo, a more square shape. Not too good if you want to put it in a pocket (I never do) but if you carry it in a bag, it shouldn't be a problem, unless you absolutely have to carry it in a section that only just fits the smaller model. Weight-wise, it shouldn't make too much of a difference - the new Oasis is still lighter than the PW.

I'm sure as far as the size is concerned, you'll love it.  :)
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2017, 08:38:46 AM »
Here in the UK we can't borrow library books on a Kindle, they only do e-pub versions. So because I don't like reading on a tablet, I have a Kobo Aura One, which also has a 7" screen, just for library books. The 6" Kindles have never been a problem for me, but the extra size is nice to have - although to be fair, I don't really notice that much when I go back to my Kindle. The size and the ability to change the weight of fonts were the only two things I really liked about the Kobo over the Kindle. Now they've solved the font problem, I just need a 7" Voyage!

As far as practicality goes, it's not quite as convenient as the smaller ones - and the new Oasis is wider, but shorter than the 7" Kobo, a more square shape. Not too good if you want to put it in a pocket (I never do) but if you carry it in a bag, it shouldn't be a problem, unless you absolutely have to carry it in a section that only just fits the smaller model. Weight-wise, it shouldn't make too much of a difference - the new Oasis is still lighter than the PW.

I'm sure as far as the size is concerned, you'll love it.  :)

I'm definitely looking forward to checking it out. . . . only 14 days to delivery. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2017, 09:14:05 AM »
I'm definitely looking forward to checking it out. . . . only 14 days to delivery. :D
We had much worse delivery times back in the day, haven't we. At times it was months, in the early days. Don't know why 2 weeks now feel so long.  :P