Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: New Kindle Oasis!  (Read 17919 times)  

Offline crisandria

• CT
    • View Profile
Re: New Kindle Oasis!
« Reply #175 on: October 17, 2017, 10:11:28 AM »
We had much worse delivery times back in the day, haven't we. At times it was months, in the early days. Don't know why 2 weeks now feel so long.  :P

Because we want it now, not two weeks from now.   Lol. 

But Im taking this time to try to organize my side loaded content so its easier to get my new Oasis set in 2 weeks.
crisandria

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 17, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »
We had much worse delivery times back in the day, haven't we. At times it was months, in the early days. Don't know why 2 weeks now feel so long.  :P

I know, right? ;D

We must be getting impatient in our old age. (Sorry, speaking for myself only of course. ::) ;) :D )

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #177 on: October 17, 2017, 06:02:27 PM »
Eeek! I can hardly believe it. I usually check Let's Talk Kindle every couple of days, but it's been so quiet lately I didn't get over here from before this thread till now, and drat. For me the larger size and better font adjustment is enough to start the siren song. I'm off to investigate and spend more than someone with 3 Kindles already should.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 17, 2017, 06:23:08 PM »
Eeek! I can hardly believe it. I usually check Let's Talk Kindle every couple of days, but it's been so quiet lately I didn't get over here from before this thread till now, and drat. For me the larger size and better font adjustment is enough to start the siren song. I'm off to investigate and spend more than someone with 3 Kindles already should.
You can test out the font sizes and bolds on your current Oasis. Its lovely.  ;D. Its rolling out, but I couldn't wait and downloaded it from the site.

I have a few kindles myself, doesn't keep me from getting the new Oasis though.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #179 on: October 17, 2017, 07:24:19 PM »
So the Oasis 1 is getting more font sizes? Hmm. I've wasted too much time tonight on the trade in thing. They don't have my model of Oasis to trade in anywhere. It's 3G with a Merlot cover. None of what they have available to pick matches it, so I'll call them tomorrow.

The 3G on both the Oasis and the Voyage doesn't work worth a darn, much less a premium price, here at my house, although I was stuck with it for a long time. I finally have wifi and won't pay for 3G (or 4G as the case may be) again. Couldn't get a smart phone for a long time for the same reason. I finally have a phone that works - evidently has to be AT&T and that must not be what Amazon has on the Kindles. Strangely, the K1's connection never hiccuped, and I can't remember ever being dissatisfied with the KK's connection. The Voyage and Oasis simply drop the 3G connection or don't get one at all quite regularly. It never takes more than 10 or 15 minutes to come back, but it's a royal PITA. I sent my first Voyage back over the crummy 3G connection.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2017, 07:34:18 PM »
So the Oasis 1 is getting more font sizes? Hmm. I've wasted too much time tonight on the trade in thing. They don't have my model of Oasis to trade in anywhere. It's 3G with a Merlot cover. None of what they have available to pick matches it, so I'll call them tomorrow.

The 3G on both the Oasis and the Voyage doesn't work worth a darn, much less a premium price, here at my house, although I was stuck with it for a long time. I finally have wifi and won't pay for 3G (or 4G as the case may be) again. Couldn't get a smart phone for a long time for the same reason. I finally have a phone that works - evidently has to be AT&T and that must not be what Amazon has on the Kindles. Strangely, the K1's connection never hiccuped, and I can't remember ever being dissatisfied with the KK's connection. The Voyage and Oasis simply drop the 3G connection or don't get one at all quite regularly. It never takes more than 10 or 15 minutes to come back, but it's a royal PITA. I sent my first Voyage back over the crummy 3G connection.
Yes, the old Oasis, Voyage and newer paperwhites are getting an update right now that gives 14 font sizes and 5 levels of bold. The new Oasis will have that and also will have inverted white on black. That is not coming to old devices.

I don't know how long it takes to get downloaded automatically, I just got it from the update site and did it myself.

Hope you can get the trade in cleared up. I'll trade my Oasis in also, but after I get the new one. Even though I'll give up the extra $20, its the only way I can do it.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #181 on: October 17, 2017, 08:25:24 PM »
Yes, the old Oasis, Voyage and newer paperwhites are getting an update right now that gives 14 font sizes and 5 levels of bold. The new Oasis will have that and also will have inverted white on black. That is not coming to old devices.

I don't know how long it takes to get downloaded automatically, I just got it from the update site and did it myself.

I'll see about downloading the update myself then, as it would be great to have. There's too much difference between the font sizes on both my Voyage and Oasis IMO. I have to either choose slightly too small or slightly too big. Maybe the too big wouldn't bother me so much on a 7" screen because how short it makes the lines is part of the aggravation.

Your point about doing the trade after you get the new device gives me pause. I donated my Paperwhite to my dog club's annual fund-raising auction before I got the Voyage (had to KK to read on) and regretted it. I think I would have returned the Voyage if I still had the PW as I disliked the haptic buttons from the get-go. Now that I say that, maybe I ought to look at the trade in on a Voyage while I'm at it.  :)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 17, 2017, 08:29:21 PM »
I'll see about downloading the update myself then, as it would be great to have. There's too much difference between the font sizes on both my Voyage and Oasis IMO. I have to either choose slightly too small or slightly too big. Maybe the too big wouldn't bother me so much on a 7" screen because how short it makes the lines is part of the aggravation.

Your point about doing the trade after you get the new device gives me pause. I donated my Paperwhite to my dog club's annual fund-raising auction before I got the Voyage (had to KK to read on) and regretted it. I think I would have returned the Voyage if I still had the PW as I disliked the haptic buttons from the get-go. Now that I say that, maybe I ought to look at the trade in on a Voyage while I'm at it.  :)
Here is a link to the update to download for the Oasis. Just download, drop into the kindle root directory, not a folder and update.  ;D
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202037720

Offline avivs

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 18, 2017, 03:54:55 AM »
The new Oasis will have that and also will have inverted white on black. That is not coming to old devices.

From what I understand from this forum, the first Oasis will also get the Black and White update.
No?

Offline Shapeshifter

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 18, 2017, 04:41:15 AM »
Finally, I can press the buy button, that extra inch can make a world of difference in needing a larger font size.

Offline quadtronix

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 18, 2017, 04:48:53 AM »
From what I understand from this forum, the first Oasis will also get the Black and White update.
No?

I saw someone said that in this thread, but I read on Engadgets article that a rep told them that the black on white feature actually required some hardware tweaking on the new Oasis. That to me indicates that it wont be coming to any older devices but I think its kind of unclear...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline quadtronix

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2017, 04:51:49 AM »
Their exact words were: Amazon tells us they had to tweak some custom hardware to make it work.

Offline avivs

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 18, 2017, 05:07:25 AM »
I saw someone said that in this thread, but I read on Engadgets article that a rep told them that the black on white feature actually required some hardware tweaking on the new Oasis. That to me indicates that it wont be coming to any older devices but I think its kind of unclear...

The guy that wrote in this forum about the old Oasis getting the upgrade, said he talked with an Amazon rep.
Maybe I should try talking with them as well. I really want this feature.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 18, 2017, 05:12:44 AM »

FWIW . . . . Oasis and Voyage are both getting the improved font choices. Can download it and install it pretty easily. I'm not sure if earlier PWs will have it, but the more recent ones will.

As I recall, re: cellular wireless, the original wedge shaped kindle used Sprint. At some point they switched to ATT and I think that's still where there are. BUT I suspect that they are at the end of the priority list in terms of connecting. So getting books to and from might not be too bad, but to do anything else is not going to work great.

As to the white-on-black setting -- there's been speculation here, but I don't think that'll be coming to any earlier devices, not even the current Oasis. I suppose it's possible as it should be mostly a software thing, but it might require a better processor than the earlier devices have. And if it's at all hardware related, as suggested by the Engadget article, it's a non-starter.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline avivs

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 18, 2017, 05:15:59 AM »
goshdarnit!

"I'm sorry currently there was no update about Night mode feature to the First generation oasis, but no worries, We'll consider your feedback as we plan further improvements. Customer feedback like yours is always important to us. I'll be sure to pass your message along to the appropriate department as we continue to improve the Kindle experience for our customers."

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 18, 2017, 05:34:58 AM »
I was told by an Amazon rep that the current Oasis will receive the black/white update  :(

Offline avivs

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 18, 2017, 05:42:45 AM »
I was told by an Amazon rep that the current Oasis will receive the black/white update  :(

Did you talk to him on chat?

And guys, if you have the Oasis, first to his name, maybe also try checking about the update.

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 18, 2017, 05:44:13 AM »
Yes it was on chat.

Offline avivs

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2017, 05:46:04 AM »
Yes it was on chat.

let's hope that the guy I've spoken with was drunk.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2017, 06:21:05 AM »
There is no indication that the old Oasis will get the inverted look. Amazon have clearly stated that only the font sizes and the font bolding is coming to the old oasis and any other device released after 2013.

I wouldn't hang on the chat words of one amazon rep for any kind of confirmations to be honest. But giving them feedback and what you want is of course a good way to go. I'd also send an email to the feedback address, which I can never find for some reason. 

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2017, 06:28:51 AM »
Press release (from the first page): http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2305986

In it, it says this:

There are more ways to personalize your reading settings on Kindle Oasis than ever before so you can enjoy your book the way you prefer:

New Font Size and Bold Settings: Now choose from more font sizes than ever beforeand five levels of boldnessfor whichever font you choose to read with. Combined with the new, 7-inch Paperwhite display, you can personalize your books so its perfectly comfortable for your eyes.

New Accessibility Options: In addition to the OpenDyslexic font, weve added a feature to invert black and white on the display if you have light sensitivity. The new enlarged display option also lets you increase the size of items like the text on the home screen and library as well as the book icons to make the all-new Kindle Oasis easier to read.

Light Settings: Built-in ambient light sensors automatically adjust the display to your surroundings whether youre in a dimly-lit room or outside in the sunand can be fine-tuned even further based on personal preferences.

Ragged Right Alignment: You can now read using left-aligned (ragged right) text.

Starting today, the new size and bold settings as well as ragged right alignment will be delivered as a free, over-the-air update to Kindle Paperwhite (Gen 6 released in 2013), plus all newer Kindle devices.

So, they mention 4 specific things and then say that two of them will be in an update -- which did, I think, start rolling out that same day, if rather late.

My conclusion: The Accessibility Options, which includes the black/white inversion and the ability to increase text size on the home screen, is NOT going to be part of the update. and, of course, the light sensor is hardware.

BTW, does anyone need a link to the New Oasis? :D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:30:36 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2017, 09:39:37 AM »
Getting the latest update on my old Oasis gives me pause about ordering the new one. Of the new features, the only one that much matters to me other than that is the larger screen size. Last night I filled out the trade-in thing and did it for my Voyage, not my Oasis 1, because they don't show my Oasis model on their list, and after thinking about it, I'd rather keep the Oasis 1, which I like, than the Voyage, which I never much did, as a backup device. I still have my KK too, which works fine, and I have used it occasionally in the last year or so.

Anyway, if I go ahead, I supposedly get $65 for the Voyage, plus the $20 bonus, which would at least pay for a cover and maybe the tax on it and the Oasis. I can't order until Amazon gets the Voyage, though, and I can always just not send it if I change my mind about the new Oasis. I'd also like the automatic light adjustment if it worked. That feature was never more than an annoyance on the Voyage. It adjusted too slowly and not to levels I like. If it's really adjustable on the new Oasis, it might be useful.

Decisions, decisions.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
There really isn't a hurry. Oasis 2.0 might be a bit backordered at some point, but I think they'll have enough in stock for xmas and beyond.

That auto light has driven me nuts too on my Voyage. I have actually used the Voyage to read only since they announced the new Oasis. I wanted to try out the light thing again. In the early days with my Voyage, I had trained it quite well and it changed to where I wanted it. But then with my touch screen challenged fingers, I kept hitting by accident a higher light number, say 18. So then it reset everything and I had to start with training all over again. I find the icon of the light bar so tiny and it doesn't always register on my Voyage. My Voyage has always been that way though, while my Oasis is much more touch sensitive. So maybe that won't be an issue on the new one.

Only thing that can be an issue is when I read in bed, I would have it at 9. I have to read with a sidelamp and if I turn over to face the lamp, the light goes up to 11, where my level under lights is. So it would go up and down and up and down, depending on how I tilted it. That did drive me nuts. I think its why I stopped using that feature at some point and why I never really missed it anymore on my Oasis. I kept my light on 10 on my Oasis at all times unless reading in bed, then it went to 9.

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2017, 10:04:12 AM »
I'm reading a Voyage right now.. and very happy with it.   I don't need the waterproofing.   The larger screen would be nice.  Hmmm.. Need to think about it.   I do agree that the Voyage light doesn't always reflect the surroundings.   

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 18, 2017, 10:20:01 AM »
I'm reading a Voyage right now.. and very happy with it.   I don't need the waterproofing.   The larger screen would be nice.  Hmmm.. Need to think about it.   I do agree that the Voyage light doesn't always reflect the surroundings.   

I am thinking the same thing about the new Oasis although I would like the waterproofing and the larger screen but not sure it is worth it over my Voyage. In regards to the ambient light on the Voyage I found that calibrating it helped quite a bit for me. The way I did that was go to a very bright area (aka outside on a sunny day) and adjust the brightness to where I would want it for that situation. Then I would take it to a pitch black room with no windows to simulate the darkest environment and it would get too bright so I would then adjust it to where I would want it for that situation and since I did that it has never adjusted itself in an undesirable way. So maybe something to think about doing with your current Voyage and also the new Oasis should you get one.