Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: New Kindle Oasis!  (Read 18039 times)  

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
Re: New Kindle Oasis!
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 08:24:26 AM »
Thanks. I see that now.

Best bang for the buck, IMO, is 32GB with special offers (turned off by default, so choose it to save money) for $279.

Deciding whether I need 32GB. My Paperwhite 2 couldn't exactly handle it when I had too many books on there. Nothing convinces me that Amazon will be able to handle 32GB of books well.

I do agree the 32GB seems to be the best value but then again unless you are planning on doing a lot of audible stuff with it you really won't need that much space just for books.

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
  • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 08:34:51 AM »
I do agree the 32GB seems to be the best value but then again unless you are planning on doing a lot of audible stuff with it you really won't need that much space just for books.

Agreed. But I'm the kind of person who would rather have too much space than not enough. With that said, even 8GB is more than I've ever had before on a Kindle e-ink device.

The Audible feature seems like kind of a letdown though. Apparently you need a separate bluetooth speaker or bluetooth headphones? There doesn't seem to be any way to listen to a book using just the Kindle itself.

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 08:37:07 AM »
Agreed. But I'm the kind of person who would rather have too much space than not enough. With that said, even 8GB is more than I've ever had before on a Kindle e-ink device.

The Audible feature seems like kind of a letdown though. Apparently you need a separate bluetooth speaker or bluetooth headphones? There doesn't seem to be any way to listen to a book using just the Kindle itself.

That is interesting. I wonder if you could then pair it to your car bluetooth and use it for audible in the car as well? I mean I guess I would just use the audible app on my phone for that if I was going to do that.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 08:38:03 AM »

Its why I am only getting the 8GB. If it had speakers in and had TTS in addition to the audiobooks, right on the device, or at least have a plug, I might think about the 32. But I only have Echo as a bluetooth speaker and if I am home, I would just use my phone or one of my tablets, or just have Alexa read the book to me outright.

So wifi, 8G for me. And then I'll remove the offers for $20 so it brings it to $269. But I do want to get a cover also, but not sure about leather or not and color yet. The saddle looks good, or the blue fabric. I don't know yet.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 08:43:07 AM »
Where are the fabric covers?? I only see the leather options
Totals Read in 2014: Books-9  Pgs-3,156  Loc-44,841

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 08:48:14 AM »
Where are the fabric covers?? I only see the leather options

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 08:56:28 AM »
Totals Read in 2014: Books-9  Pgs-3,156  Loc-44,841

Offline ezzkmo

• California, USA
  • igloo appraiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 08:57:36 AM »
Decisions...decisions...

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 09:06:14 AM »
Ha, that is exactly what I am waffling about ezzkmo. Thanks for putting all the colors in one post to see. I eliminated anything white/beige and black. So its between the merlot, saddle or the blue water resistant.

As long as the leathers are not like the walnut cover on my current Oasis. As nice as the color is, the suede type is way more fiddly than the replacement cover I bought on sale that is merlot and smooth.

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 09:20:40 AM »
Ha, that is exactly what I am waffling about ezzkmo. Thanks for putting all the colors in one post to see. I eliminated anything white/beige and black. So its between the merlot, saddle or the blue water resistant.

As long as the leathers are not like the walnut cover on my current Oasis. As nice as the color is, the suede type is way more fiddly than the replacement cover I bought on sale that is merlot and smooth.

I was going to go with a leather cover in either the saddle tan or merlot, but those cloth covers are nice looking as well and being able to keep in on the oasis around water and not worrying about it getting ruined like the leather would is also nice. I have always just liked the leather covers which is why I have the Premium leather origami case for my voyage. If I went cloth I am torn between the charcoal or the blue one. Again all of this is contingent on me actually getting a new Oasis.

On another not do you guys think these will sell out quickly and become very hard to get for a while like the original Oasis was?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 09:24:27 AM »
First thought - yey! Bigger screen and lower price!
Second thought - not including a cover, and the cover doesn't have battery. so the device itself is heavier and it will be almost impossible to read it with one hand. So... What's the point of this design if you can't easily hold it in one hand?

And the 12 lights instead of 10 is only reasonable considering the biggest screen.

I will skip this one. They actually made the Kindle itself more expensive and less easy to hold. Great.

I'm not convinced it'll be harder to hold with one hand. Might depend on how big your hands are. I actually mostly use my Oasis sans cover and, based on how my hand fits on it, I feel like the slightly larger size will help. And I don't think the extra weight will be a problem for me.

If I order, it'll be the 8GB with offers and I won't order a cover for now. I'll wait until I see what third party folks come up with in color and pattern.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:31:34 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »
I'm weak.
I can't pass up the larger screen and bigger battery.  And I'm hoping that the little extra size and weight will make it more comfortable for me to read nekkid.  My current Oasis is a little too small and light to be comfortable without the case.  But I still want the 3G option and that forced me into the 32GB.
Happy early birthday to me!!

I am going to wait on the case though.  I'm with Ann - I want to see what 3rd party options are available since the battery is only in the Kindle itself.  I have a sleeve that I can use until I get a case.

Offline alarsen77

• Easton, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 09:38:52 AM »
I'm not convinced it'll be harder to hold with one hand. Might depend on how big your hands are. I actually mostly use my Oasis sans cover and, based on how my hand fits on it, I feel like the slightly larger size will help. And I don't think the extra weight will be a problem for me.

If I order, it'll be the 8GB with offers and I won't order a cover for now. I'll wait until I see what third party folks come up with in color and pattern.

I think if I order, it will be the 8GB with offers as well and will hold off on the cover for now too.

Offline astroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2017, 09:48:37 AM »
#TeamIndigo   8)

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2017, 10:07:21 AM »
Always love that first day back when a new Kindle is announced. Great to see the initial action. That said, yes, preordered, going with the cloth. 32gb seems like overkill then I saw the Audible add and got a smile.

As always, it seems like Kindle was listening minus their ever aversion to customizable screensavers (thank goddess for screesaver hacks). Regardless, very excited.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »
Whoa, and nice touch. USB C charging (if my eyes don't decieve me in the picture). This should make some new device users very happy.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline quadtronix

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 10:17:41 AM »
I am soooooo all over this!!! Saddle Tan, prob 8 GB, with SO, WiFi only!! Cant wait for the 31st!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2017, 10:28:24 AM »
Whoa, and nice touch. USB C charging (if my eyes don't decieve me in the picture). This should make some new device users very happy.
I have no clue what that means, but I better still be able to use all the cables I already have and use to charge my kindles/tablets and my phone.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2017, 10:34:52 AM »
I have no clue what that means, but I better still be able to use all the cables I already have and use to charge my kindles/tablets and my phone.

Yeah . . . I'm going to be annoyed if the cables I have don't work, too. But if I'm reading things right, that shouldn't be a new problem.

BTW, here's a link to the Users Guide: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/customerdocumentation/EC9/Kindle+Users+Guide+EN-US.pdf  It refereneces "micro USB" which is what current kindles use.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 10:36:59 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2017, 10:37:39 AM »
Yay for returning to on-device charging and eliminating the charging cover!  Pretty sure I'm in on this one. I think this new version of the Oasis will keep my streak intact of being happy with every other version since the original K1.

Now to figure out if I can adapt an older version Oberon cover ...
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
It looks like you use the audio by pairing with a bluetooth device which could be headphones. Not sure that makes it better than using your cell phone. A lot of cars nowadays (we've been looking) come with a radio system that lets you pair your phone. Wonder if they'd work with the new Oasis.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 11:19:20 AM »
Just did a quick read through -- well, maybe more like a skim -- of the Users Guide. It looks like it has a setting to use larger print on menus/home page, etc. which I don't remember as being an option on existing devices.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline John Hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 11:26:57 AM »
I'm really excited for this release, more so than I realistically thought I would ever be. It ticks my main two boxes, a larger screen and more storage. Ideally, I would have preferred a Voyage 2 with these formats, but the Oasis 2 removes some of the key differences between the Oasis and Voyage in terms of battery management and adaptive lighting, which I really like. A wider range of fonts is also welcome.

I have just pre-ordered the 32 GB WiFi/3G model and the merlot leather cover (waterproofing is one thing I am not bothered about). This was an easy decision for me, despite that coming to over 370, given the advantages of this new model. Last year I hesitated a week before ordering the Oasis 1 as I had doubts. Anyway, I will recoup a chunk of the costs by selling my two Voyages. Looking forward to roastesting the new fonts on my Voyages when they are available. Exciting times!

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 using Tapatalk

Offline quadtronix

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2017, 11:37:38 AM »
Just did a quick read through -- well, maybe more like a skim -- of the Users Guide. It looks like it has a setting to use larger print on menus/home page, etc. which I don't remember as being an option on existing devices.

I read in an article somewhere that it also has an option for white text on black background for the first time on a kindle and also new adjustability for font boldness and sizes not available on older kindles... not features Im likely to use or even notice but its interesting.

Im getting it for the size mostly. And Im really liking the design too. That silver back with the tan cover and black front is gonna be great IMO!

The waterproofing will be nice too, just in case...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline GSDlady

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2017, 12:07:33 PM »
I ordered the 8GB, wifi, without special offers and a Merlot cover. I still plan to keep my Voyage for taking out of the house because of it's smaller size and more protective cover. I'm just hoping for an evenly lit screen as that is my usual complaint with Kindle devices. I like the new case with the ability to use the Oasis in stand alone position. It's an exciting day in Kindleland!