Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: New Kindle Oasis!  (Read 17957 times)  

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
Re: New Kindle Oasis!
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2017, 03:55:09 PM »
Here's what it looks like with white on black text, from Engadget:

Oh crud I like reading with the black background but I need another kindle like a hole on the head. That said my voyage is pretty done for. So maybe...in the new yr once I see reviews and get my gift card balance built up again. Doesnt help that I love the blue fabric cover either dang it😂😂
Totals Read in 2014: Books-9  Pgs-3,156  Loc-44,841

Offline etexlady

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2017, 04:00:11 PM »
Like most others it's "need" vs "want".  I certainly do not need a new Kindle as I bought the Oasis just barely over a year ago.  I like the Oasis.  Love the page turning buttons.  I have no interest in it being waterproof.  I just bought a new Chromebook last week.  I bought a new iPad Pro a few months ago.  I'll probably upgrade to the iPhone X in a few weeks.  But the New Oasis is new and shiny and I want one.  Maybe I'll buy a new one for me and give my lightly used original Oasis to my niece for one of her Christmas gifts.  Decisions, decisions.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2017, 04:01:51 PM »
Oh crud I like reading with the black background but I need another kindle like a hole on the head. That said my voyage is pretty done for. So maybe...in the new yr once I see reviews and get my gift card balance built up again. Doesnt help that I love the blue fabric cover either dang it😂😂

I admit I like the look of that white on black better than I thought I would . . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2017, 04:06:13 PM »
I admit I like the look of that white on black better than I thought I would . . .

Thats what I use in the kindle app on my phone and iPad. Once I tried it I never went back to normal.
Totals Read in 2014: Books-9  Pgs-3,156  Loc-44,841

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »
For those wondering what it can hold, from the product page.

8 GB holds thousands of books or over 35 Audible audiobooks; 32 GB holds thousands of books or over 160 Audible audiobooks; Audible audiobook capacity based on average Audible audiobook size.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »
Well, logically, if 8GB holds thousands of books, 32 GB holds 4 times thousands of books. ::) O.K. maybe not quite -- part of it is taken up by the system either way. Which is probably why the 32 GB audio total is a bit more than 4 times the 8 GB amount.

Sorry . . . . . probably no one really wants the math. ;)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
  • Global Moderator
  • Maine, USA
  • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
    • View Profile
    • Maine Desk
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2017, 04:43:06 PM »
This may be the first Kindle since the original that I will pass on. I bought the first Oasis and really wasn't that thrilled with it, plus I have had charging cover issues (I know the new one doesn't have the charging cover). The CNET article says the original Oasis will have the Audible/book capability through a software upgrade and that is really the only change I am interested in. I don't care about waterproof and not interested in the bigger size.

So sad....would've loved to be on a kindle watch but just can't justify the expense (and I have enough points to get one free, but I would rather save them).

L

Leslie Nicoll

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2017, 04:52:44 PM »
Dang I don't see it on mine.  It just has the customize and add to cart option

When I was browsing, the pay over time option wasn't available for one of the combos I looked at, but I don't remember which one.  But it said, somewhere on the screen, that "pay over time isn't available for this option," or words to that effect.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »

I love the sepia tone offered on my Kindle Fire tablets. I wouldnt mind having that on my Voyage.

Offline emathieu

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2017, 07:17:37 PM »
Well, I certainly dont need another Kindle - I actually have both my Voyage and my Oasis with me currently on a business trip (I didnt realize they were both in my laptop bag).

But...  I still just ordered a 32GB 3G without SO.  Im so weak every time a new Kindle is released.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2017, 07:25:46 PM »
I like the sound of this and may end up buying. I don't need one though. I did not buy the original Oasis. I didn't see any mention in this thread of the special edition of Kindle Chronicles podcast by Len Edgerly. Since I am not an early riser, I only found out about the new Oasis this after when I listened to Len Edgerly's podcast.

http://www.thekindlechronicles.com/
New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline NightReader

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2017, 07:44:42 PM »
Deciding whether I need 32GB. My Paperwhite 2 couldn't exactly handle it when I had too many books on there. Nothing convinces me that Amazon will be able to handle 32GB of books well.

That is something I was wondering about.  Organization is (in my opinion) one of the Kindle's weakest points.  If there were 32 GB of books, would it lock up trying to index?  And, more importantly, would it be such an unorganized jungle of books that you wouldn't be able to find anything?

If the old Amazon estimate was true, and you could store 6,000 books in 8 GBs, then, it would be 24,000 books in 32 GBs.  That would be insanely more than I would ever need.  On the other hand, if I got into Audibles, I guess they would take up more space.  Still, right now, I can't see why I would go with more than 8 GB. 

What am I saying?  I don't need one of these!  I love my original Oasis.  We are happy together.  I mustn't look at the pretty shiny new thing.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2017, 08:56:55 PM »
The font stuff (more sizes and weights) and reversed white/black features will be coming via update for Kindle Paperwhite gen 6 (PW2) and later Kindles (PW g7, Voyage, Kindle 8gen, Oasis 1). And Audible to the Kindle 8gen (it also has bluetooth).

Oasis 2 has a newer graphics chip so page turns are faster and I imagine image-laden content (PDFs comics etc) will perform better as well.

I would like to see Plain Old TTS. VoiceView is great for those who need it, but otherwise it makes navigation less efficient and turns off a number of features, if all you want is to have it read to you. Perhaps Audible feature will generate more interest and requests for TTS as well. 

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
  • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2017, 09:02:38 PM »
That is something I was wondering about.  Organization is (in my opinion) one of the Kindle's weakest points.  If there were 32 GB of books, would it lock up trying to index?  And, more importantly, would it be such an unorganized jungle of books that you wouldn't be able to find anything?

If the old Amazon estimate was true, and you could store 6,000 books in 8 GBs, then, it would be 24,000 books in 32 GBs.  That would be insanely more than I would ever need.  On the other hand, if I got into Audibles, I guess they would take up more space.  Still, right now, I can't see why I would go with more than 8 GB.   

Good point, especially since I can easily see Amazon abandoning 32GB storage after a generation or two. If I had the previous Oasis, I doubt I'd upgrade - but I have an aging Paperwhite 2 that's now five years old and has already crashed on me twice.

With that said, I ordered an Oasis (8GB, even though part of me still wants 32GB so I never have to erase anything) and cancelled immediately. The cart and checkout said Oct. 31, but after I ordered, the date changed to Nov. 6th. I took that as a sign to hold off, even though I don't want the thing delivered on Halloween in the first place (too much can go wrong if it arrives later in the evening). I'll wait for other people's impressions first. I expect the Oasis to sell out before launch, but there's no way Amazon won't make more of these for Christmas IMO.

The font stuff (more sizes and weights) and reversed white/black features will be coming via update for Kindle Paperwhite gen 6 (PW2) and later Kindles (PW g7, Voyage, Kindle 8gen, Oasis 1). And Audible to the Kindle 8gen (it also has bluetooth).

Another reason for me to wait. I can see some of the new features on my old PW2 and decide if I like them enough to upgrade to the premium Oasis 2 model.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:07:32 PM by CS »

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
  • Reading Amanda Ashley, and Christine Feehan Books.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2017, 12:51:31 AM »
How does the 5 monthly payments work? Do I need a credit card for this? Or will this work with Debit as well? I'm a Prime member...

(Make your own reading bar)A Kindle 1, 3 (Keyboard), and Paperwhite owner. I just love reading romance novels :P

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2017, 01:08:59 AM »
I used it for my Kindle Fire 8 a yr ago and used a debit card.

Offline Book Cottage Blogger

• View Profile
    • Book Cottage Blog
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2017, 04:10:26 AM »
I now have to decide if I should sell back one of my 3 kindles and buy the new one.

Hi - Im pretty new around here, but this caught my eye....can you do a trade-in? I have a Paperwhite thats still pretty new, but Im interested in the new Oasis. Also, the website mentions that it comes with special offers - does it come without offers as well? 

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2017, 04:22:57 AM »
Hi - Im pretty new around here, but this caught my eye....can you do a trade-in? I have a Paperwhite thats still pretty new, but Im interested in the new Oasis.

Yes. Keep in mind, you don't send them one kindle and they send you one back. But if you go to Amazon and search for "Amazon trade in", you'll get a page where you can link to their trade in site. It'll show you items you've purchased and can return for cash and tells you how much they are worth in like new condition. You can scroll down a bit as well and there's a place to search for other items you can trade in -- things you didn't even buy from Amazon.

Currently, they'll give $100 for an original Oasis, $65 for a Voyage or PW, and $20 for a basic Kindle. Keep in mind these are all relatively new models. Older PWs or basic kindles might be less. I'm getting $10 for a Keyboard or Touch model, $20 for the basic with no keyboard and non-touch screen.

Also, note that this is the top price. If they decide the thing isn't in good enough condition, they may give you less. When you initiate the trade in, you tell them whether you want to just take what they offer or send the device back to you. In my experience, with Kindle, unless there are obvious scratches on the casing, they give a pretty good price. If the thing won't hold a charge or the screen is cracked, obviously, it'll be less. They ask you those questions up front.

Also, the website mentions that it comes with special offers - does it come without offers as well? 

Yes. If you go to the sales page and click 'configure and buy' it'll give your options and the prices.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:26:59 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Book Cottage Blogger

• View Profile
    • Book Cottage Blog
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2017, 06:13:22 AM »
That's awesome!  Thanks so much for the info.    :)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2017, 06:50:25 AM »
Here is a CNET youtube review. They go through some of the settings, just have to be quick as they moving fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qffCVvuNRd8

Offline etexlady

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2017, 07:19:13 AM »
As I usually do regarding big purchases, I waited a day before making up my mind about buying the New Oasis.  I decided I had to have one.  I ordered the bundle that included the leather cover and the "essential" power plug which saved me a few dollars since I typically buy a cover anyway.  I was intrigued that the leather cover attaches magnetically like the Apple iPad covers.  Estimated delivery on November 6th.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2017, 07:29:50 AM »
Should we start a separate thread for those that ordered? Yep, me too.  :P

Ann, Betsy, could you put the Oasis links in the first post in this thread? I had to scroll a bit to find them. Make it easier for folks to use the KB links.

O7-wifi-offers gave me a November 6th date. But then I noticed that is a Monday and spend the 3.99 for one day, which then comes on Friday 3rd. I been there before where I didn't spring it and then had to sit all weekend to wait while grumbling why I didn't use one day ship.  8)

I always get the devices with offers and then turn them off later.

Offline rallykid

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2017, 07:36:55 AM »
I am hoping to see a paperwhite refresh as well. I am still rocking my kindle keyboard but it is starting to get a little overworked and having issues. The oasis is nice but is has too many cons to go with the pros. The big one being price. I dont feel bad about throwing a $120 Kindle in my backpack or tailbag on my motorcycle. At the Oasis price I would be too worried about killing it. The waterproofing would be nice for camping trips but not a necessity, the larger screen is actually a con to me as space is at a premium on the bike as well as backpacking. I like the page turn buttons. The actual physical design I am not in love with. Hopefully we will see something soon. I do like the larger storage options but 8gb is more than enough for my needs as I dont do audiobooks or comics.

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »
I love the sepia tone offered on my Kindle Fire tablets. I wouldnt mind having that on my Voyage.

Lursa,

You might want to take a look at the 8" Kobo HD. That one has control of the light shade from white to orange. It allow you to toggle between brightness and light tone. It replicates the Fire HD night mode pretty amazingly in a E-reader format. Amazon will surely implement it eventually.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile