Author Topic: New Kindle Oasis!  (Read 17998 times)  

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
Re: New Kindle Oasis!
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2017, 09:27:08 AM »
Should we start a separate thread for those that ordered? Yep, me too.  :P

Ann, Betsy, could you put the Oasis links in the first post in this thread? I had to scroll a bit to find them. Make it easier for folks to use the KB links.

O7-wifi-offers gave me a November 6th date. But then I noticed that is a Monday and spend the 3.99 for one day, which then comes on Friday 3rd. I been there before where I didn't spring it and then had to sit all weekend to wait while grumbling why I didn't use one day ship.  8)

I always get the devices with offers and then turn them off later.

Amazon is kind of taking the fun out of delivery watch by guaranteeing delivery on release day. The nerve of them giving such an awesome guarantee. Ann or Atunah, do you recall them doing this on previous models? I don't but am definitely not complaining.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2017, 09:40:41 AM »
Lursa,

You might want to take a look at the 8" Kobo HD. That one has control of the light shade from white to orange. It allow you to toggle between brightness and light tone. It replicates the Fire HD night mode pretty amazingly in a E-reader format. Amazon will surely implement it eventually.

Thank you but I'm probably not going to change platforms.

OTOH, it helps to know...would my entire Kindle library (almost all Amazon purchases) move easily to Kobo?

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2017, 09:41:21 AM »
Quick thoughts:

-In a bit of marketing genius, that bluetooth addition and no headphone jack is seemingly going to open up a brand new Amazon Bluetooth Headset product that 1000's will buy.

-12 LEDs vs 10 LEDS for the light complainers (hand raised) could make a big difference

-Horribly excited for the Font weight (bold) slider. That is just awesome. Been writing to Amazon for 7 years about it. Always impressed with Bezos implementing and can't help but think engineering and design team read these boards

-Never knew about the payment plan a few of you are talking about. Pretty great. As for the trade in, I've always sold via Ebay and have made between 20-40 more than trade in on all the previous models i've sold K4, P2, Voyage

-Thank you to those of you who noted that the original Oasis has built in bluetooth they're gonna unleash in a future software update. That's phenomenal
Stanley
=====

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2017, 09:43:49 AM »
Thank you but I'm probably not going to change platforms.

OTOH, it helps to know...would my entire Kindle library (almost all Amazon purchases) move easily to Kobo?

Haha. I know. Amazon has us good. The transfer process is easy with Calibre but most of us are very unlikely to move platforms. If/when you get a chance though, get your hands on one and play with the lighting scheme. You'll be impresssed.
Stanley
=====

Offline avivs

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2017, 09:48:09 AM »
The font stuff (more sizes and weights) and reversed white/black features will be coming via update for Kindle Paperwhite gen 6 (PW2) and later Kindles (PW g7, Voyage, Kindle 8gen, Oasis 1).

What makes you say that the older Kindles will get the White/Black screen feature? I didn't read anything about that, only about the font sizes and the audio thing.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »
Amazon is kind of taking the fun out of delivery watch by guaranteeing delivery on release day. The nerve of them giving such an awesome guarantee. Ann or Atunah, do you recall them doing this on previous models? I don't but am definitely not complaining.

It's usually been the case that Prime members get release day delivery. I actually even got my 3rd gen kindle (later called keyboard) the day BEFORE release day -- but I think that might have been a UPS mistake. Non prime members probably will have it shipped on that day unless they've paid for faster shipping.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2017, 09:57:59 AM »
What makes you say that the older Kindles will get the White/Black screen feature? I didn't read anything about that, only about the font sizes and the audio thing.

It's not clear, but I suspect not.

It is just a software fix but it might need a faster processor to do that.

My understanding is that:

All newer kindles will get the font stuff.
Existing Oasis and most recent basic kindle will get audio.
Only the Oasis2 will have the 'night mode' white on black option.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2017, 10:00:54 AM »
I have prime and I am not getting release day shipping. That would be Oct 31st, right? My normal prime shipping is listed as  November 6th, but I paid for one day to the 3rd. So as more orders are coming in, there probably will be some delays in shipping for later batches.

The inverted black/white is only for the new Oasis.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2017, 10:03:30 AM »
I have prime and I am not getting release day shipping. That would be Oct 31st, right? My normal prime shipping is listed as  November 6th, but I paid for one day to the 3rd. So as more orders are coming in, there probably will be some delays in shipping for later batches.

The inverted black/white is only for the new Oasis.

Yeah, that's what's happened with the last few releases. Really early orderers get release day delivery. But if you delay even a day -- sometimes only a few hours -- you end up with a later delivery day.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline derek87

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2017, 10:30:36 AM »
anyone else out there wondering about the weight of the new model compared with the first generation one?

i have long been considering the 1st generation Oasis due to its light weight and my habit of lying on my back in bed and reading. i usually read with my naked PW3 in one hand it gets tiring...

i guess i'll have to wait and see what this new one looks like in person or from reviews before making a decision...

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2017, 11:17:07 AM »
anyone else out there wondering about the weight of the new model compared with the first generation one?

i have long been considering the 1st generation Oasis due to its light weight and my habit of lying on my back in bed and reading. i usually read with my naked PW3 in one hand it gets tiring...

i guess i'll have to wait and see what this new one looks like in person or from reviews before making a decision...

63 grams difference b/t Oasis and New Oasis. If it were a different geometry/shape, I think you'd notice the weight more. At 50grams between other e-readers I can definitely feel the difference and am effected. A good comparison is the difference in weight from the Kindle 3 and Kindle 4. Hopeful with the angles of the Oasis, it won't be too much of a big deal.
Stanley
=====

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2017, 01:07:57 PM »
Yes I did not remember press release details correctly: it does not say Inverse Black & White would come to other devices. But it should! It does not seem there should be a hardware dependency - but it could be so (Oasis 2 has a more powerful graphics chip which might make such a feature more efficient to implement).

The new Display Size and Invert Black & White features appear in the Accessibility section of Settings on Oasis 2. I updated my Voyage and Kindle (8th gen) this morning and checked the menu, neither had the Invert feature. I am still holding out hope though. The new font settings are nice to have. I like the smaller fonts and bumping the bold to +1 makes them a little easier to read.

Interestingly the press release states that Audible feature will be coming to Kindle (8th gen) and Oasis 1 in coming months. I remember that Oasis 1 teardown revealed that it had Bluetooth capability, but it has never been enabled. VoiceView works on Oasis 1 (via audio dongle) but is not officially supported. I am guessing that the update will enable Bluetooth and that dongle will no longer be required (and maybe not even functional) for VoiceView, while enabling Audible feature as well.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:15:17 PM by tsemple »

Offline DD

• K1,K2,KK,Touch,FireHD,PW2, Voyage,Oasis1,Oasis2
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2017, 03:47:26 PM »
So, let me be sure I understand...they’ve done away with the charging cover and you can use any cover you like?
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH DAMN, SHE'S UP!". ~Member #484

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »
So, let me be sure I understand...theyve done away with the charging cover and you can use any cover you like?

They still have a magnetic snap on type of cover, but the cover does not have any battery component. The battery in the unit is larger to make up for that.

So far the only covers showing as available are by Amazon -- 3 color choices in leather and 3 in fabric.

I expect third party covers will be available in the next couple of months.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline MagicalWingLT

• Brick, NJ
  • Reading Amanda Ashley, and Christine Feehan Books.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2017, 04:54:01 PM »
It also looks like they are doing a trade-in promotion where you get the trade-in value plus $20 to use towards a new Kindle.
https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_2?_encoding=UTF8&ie=UTF8&node=10825010011&ref=ods_tradein_ereader_ilm_desktop_35&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=detail-ilm&pf_rd_r=38A51TPN73R6YX3NKGXZ&pf_rd_r=38A51TPN73R6YX3NKGXZ&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=5bc51682-6f95-4b35-884e-ff49d97d2de1&pf_rd_p=5bc51682-6f95-4b35-884e-ff49d97d2de1&pf_rd_i=B06XD5YCKX

So that would be like $40.00 off for a new Kindle then? I had done this last year and bought the Voyage. I still have a old Kindle 3 that I could trade in... Do they say how long they are doing this for?

(Make your own reading bar)A Kindle 1, 3 (Keyboard), and Paperwhite owner. I just love reading romance novels :P

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2017, 05:08:17 PM »
I don't want an Oasis. I want a Kindle that BEEPS when I lose it. Name suggestions, anyone? Roadrunner?

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2017, 05:20:55 PM »
I really like this one!  I had two bad experiences with the first Oasis.  I am hoping this one will be better.

I also like the cloth cover.  I would like the indigo, but I'm afraid it could have a slightly purplish tint to it when it arrives.  The picture looks very blue, though.  I know the merlot seemed to have a different shade in person than what people saw online. 

Thoughts?

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2017, 06:38:42 PM »
I just chatted with Amazon rep and I was told that the first Oasis will get the black/white upgrade.  He couldn't give me a date.

Offline avivs

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2017, 09:18:42 PM »
I just chatted with Amazon rep and I was told that the first Oasis will get the black/white upgrade.  He couldn't give me a date.

Amazing news! Now I really have no need to upgrade:)

Offline avivs

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2017, 02:01:16 AM »
The side bezel of the new kindle, where the buttons are, is hugh. Why so big? And the buttons seems to be too much to the side, instead of being in the center of the bezel.

https://youtu.be/LKUxb0luQEk

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2017, 02:43:05 AM »
I just pre-ordered the 8GB Wi-Fi only (with offers) and charcoal fabric cover. Thank goodness I had some points, almost $63 worth. Estimated date is November 6th.  2-day shipping. Thanks to enablers here and Len Edgerly!

Now I see that the cover is coming Oct. 31st -- 7 days before the Oasis 2.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:45:56 AM by mlewis78 »
New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2017, 04:02:55 AM »
So that would be like $40.00 off for a new Kindle then? I had done this last year and bought the Voyage. I still have a old Kindle 3 that I could trade in... Do they say how long they are doing this for?

It would mean you get what you get for the trade in as a gift card you can use on anything PLUS $20 that you have to spend on a new kindle.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2017, 04:07:28 AM »
 the problem is i would have to order and get the new Oasis before sending my first Oasis.  I need a kindle.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2017, 04:28:34 AM »
the problem is i would have to order and get the new Oasis before sending my first Oasis.  I need a kindle.

Generally, when you do a trade in, they give you a price, send you a label by email that you can print and use on the package, and then you have 30 days to mail it. Do you could order the new one now and send the old one back when you get the new one.

That said, they won't give you the gift credit until they get the old one and confirm the condition and all. If you order first, and then do a trade in, I think they'd apply $20 to the one you just ordered, especially if it's not delivered yet, but you'd have to probably call and ask them to do so once the trade in is received/processed.

All THAT said: a second, back up kindle is never a bad thing, if you can afford it. ;)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2017, 04:47:05 AM »
I can afford it but i don't need two. Lol