Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?
KB Featured
TBD
by TBD

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2016-01-12
Bestseller ranking: 757432

Product Description
With the odd disappearance of her parents, Gussie Gibson has lived her entire life with her granny on a peaceful pecan orchard, owned by the meanest man in all of Georgia—Mr. J.P. Combs. Granny teaches Gussie many valuable life lessons as a black woman growing up in the still-segregated south. Mr. Combs is an evil underhanded banker who takes liberties beyond his privilege. When Granny dies, Combs informs Gussie she owes him back rent—but he wants much more than money for payment—and more than Gussie can live with.
After defending herself against his sexual advances, Gussie flees to escape certain vigilante justice when she meets a charming, handsome stranger, Sam Johnson, who is just returning from World War II.
Gussie and Sam’s friendship is short-lived when Mr. Combs hunts her down and drags her back to Green Ridge, driven by his craving for revenge and a grudge too deep to comprehend. Gussie fights to return to Sam and his lo...

Author Topic: (5.8.11) New font size/bolding update for all kindles released after 2013  (Read 7161 times)  

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
This update includes general performance improvements and the following new features:

• Bold Control: You can now set the boldness level on all reading fonts for enhanced readability and eye comfort. The new bold option can be controlled from the Display Settings (Aa) menu in books.
  • More Font Sizes: You can now choose from 14 different font sizes to suit your reading preference.
  • Redesigned Search Results: See chapter headers with in-book search results to help you find what you are looking for.

Here is the page to get the update manually. Make sure you pick the right device from the left. Easier with the Oasis and Voyage, since there are only one. A wee bit harder when you have to figure out your paperwhite. First paperwhite as usual is excluded. Only the ones that came out from 2013 on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=202037720

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=176060&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2305986

There are more ways to personalize your reading settings on Kindle Oasis than ever before so you can enjoy your book the way you prefer:

New Font Size and Bold Settings: Now choose from more font sizes than ever beforeand five levels of boldnessfor whichever font you choose to read with. Combined with the new, 7-inch Paperwhite display, you can personalize your books so its perfectly comfortable for your eyes.

Starting today, the new size and bold settings as well as ragged right alignment will be delivered as a free, over-the-air update to Kindle Paperwhite (Gen 6 released in 2013), plus all newer Kindle devices.
I took out some of the stuff only pertaining to the new Oasis.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:39:42 AM by Atunah »

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: New font size/bolding coming for all kindles released after 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:26:08 AM »
That will be great for a lot of people!

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline avivs

• View Profile
Re: New font size/bolding update coming for all kindles released after 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 07:47:24 AM »
I wish for the new night mode to be in the original kindle Oasis. It shouldn't be such a big deal.

Offline avivs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 12:54:05 PM »
You guys know what number of software this will be?
Cause I've tried downloading it from their site, but I don't think it's the updated version.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 12:57:03 PM »
Current Voyage system is 5.8.10.

I would't expect an update until after Oct 31 when the new Oasis is released.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 12:57:44 PM »
5.8.11 it will be. According to the geeks on Mobilereads. It doesn't show on the website yet, although it did say in the press release that it will roll out today. I am trying to have patience.  ;D

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »
Did it say that? I guess I missed it. It'll be good to see the new font choices before the New Oasis drops.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »
Did it say that? I guess I missed it. It'll be good to see the new font choices before the New Oasis drops.
Look at my bolded in the first post. It says starting today.  :P

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »
You want me to read the whole thread? Carefully? That might be asking a bit much. ::) :P ;D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 01:17:36 PM »

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 02:37:04 PM »
Been waiting for font weight options for years so i'm quite excited for the bold options. Was hoping they'd go the way of the new Kobo lighting systems with the various shades of light but i'm very excited for the fonts, hopefully ones that a little more fun than in the past. Well done, Kindle.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline NightReader

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 08:02:43 PM »
So, has anybody gotten the update?  Is there finally a font size between "not quite big enough" and "way too big"?

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 04:12:11 AM »
I have not . . . but I didn't expect to get it so quick. Even if they said it will start to roll out as of Wednesday, it'll be some time before everyone gets it.

On the update page the current version is still shown as 5.8.10.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 06:33:54 AM »
I wondering if they just jumped it with the press release, saying it starts rolling out today(yesteday). Since its not appearing on the update page, it might be it rolls out once the Oasis2 starts shipping.

eta: looks like its coming, some folks on mobilereads have found a couple of direct links with the new update number. Direct links being the links one uses on the amazon page. So keep an eye out here

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=202037720

Just find your device on the left once it says 5.8.11 in the middle and you can manually download.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:38:25 AM by Atunah »

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 06:49:28 AM »
Ok, there is a cnet video review on the Oasis2 and in it you can see a second of the guy changing font size and bold. I counded the squares. 5 bold options and 14 sizes  ;D. I am exited about the font sizes. I need something between the 3-4-5. The jumps are too big now.

I put the video in the Oasis in its thread. But since they said we get this font update, I thought I put that tidbit here.

Just so its more clear. All the older devices starting from 2013 on will get the font/boldness update. But the audible update will only go to the current Oasis and current Kindle. That is the one with no light, the newest one. Reason is that those 2 devices were made with that Voice View thingie for accessability so they have the hardware needed.
This might be though a bit further down the line. From press release.

Audible will be available on the all-new Kindle Oasis via a free over-the-air update when the device shipsand it will be available via a free over-the-air update to Kindle (Gen 8) and the first Kindle Oasis in the coming months. If youre new to Audible, sign up for a free trial and get two free audiobooks.

The update for fonts is rolling out now. The page isn't updated yet, but some already have it. So keep checking the link if you don't want to wait.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:08:44 AM by Atunah »

Offline John Hopper

• View Profile
The update page on Amazon UK now has 5.8.11.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
The update page on Amazon UK now has 5.8.11.

I was going to say that you guys are a few hours ahead of us in the US after all, but its also here (US) now. Getting them on my Oasis and Voyage. Will report back.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: (5.8.11) New font size/bolding update for all kindles released after 2013
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 08:17:17 AM »
Ok, got the update on the Oasis, Voyage is being a bit of a pain. Have to do it again on it.

As far as I can tell, only thing different is a bold slider and a font slider. This will take a wee bit of fiddling. On Bookerley, I cannot go past "1" on the bold slider or its just too bold for me. Those that lurve really bold font will love this. But on "1" it is about the way the K3 and the older kindle buttons used to display the font. Where they were darker and thicker. So that is really good. But for me setting "1" is probably enough. At least on bookerly. On Pallatino and Baskerville on the other hand, the boldness is more subtle for some reason. As it goes up.

As far as font sizes, I feel like its the same. Still seems big steps between 3-4-5. But I can't compare now and it might just be how sizes have to work. I am still on 4 as before, but with the boldness, I can even read on 3 if I want to. With bookerley that is. Every font has a bit of a different size as we all know.

I took a photo of my Voyage before updating while in a book so I'll post the before and after with the boldness on once its done.

Basically I could now use fonts I never was able to use before like Baskerville and Palatino. Those where just to light/thin. Now they are readable. I still probably prefer bookerly overall, but there be options now.  8)

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:40:05 AM by Atunah »

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 08:30:45 AM »
Not sure how well this shows,  can't take good pics to save my life and when I make them smaller on imgur, they get blurry. They are not blurry when I start out, so no clue why that is.

Before the update, bookerly size 4

after the update, bookerly, size 4, bolding 1

bookerly, size 4, bolding 3

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:36:42 AM by Atunah »

Offline John Hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 09:14:10 AM »
Ok, got the update on the Oasis, Voyage is being a bit of a pain. Have to do it again on it.

As far as I can tell, only thing different is a bold slider and a font slider. This will take a wee bit of fiddling. On Bookerley, I cannot go past "1" on the bold slider or its just too bold for me. Those that lurve really bold font will love this. But on "1" it is about the way the K3 and the older kindle buttons used to display the font. Where they were darker and thicker. So that is really good. But for me setting "1" is probably enough. At least on bookerly. On Pallatino and Baskerville on the other hand, the boldness is more subtle for some reason. As it goes up.

As far as font sizes, I feel like its the same. Still seems big steps between 3-4-5. But I can't compare now and it might just be how sizes have to work. I am still on 4 as before, but with the boldness, I can even read on 3 if I want to. With bookerley that is. Every font has a bit of a different size as we all know.

I took a photo of my Voyage before updating while in a book so I'll post the before and after with the boldness on once its done.

Basically I could now use fonts I never was able to use before like Baskerville and Palatino. Those where just to light/thin. Now they are readable. I still probably prefer bookerly overall, but there be options now.  8)
Like you Atunah, I think that bold level 1 will be enough for me. Any higher than 2 seems excessive.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 09:47:26 AM »
Thanks for the pics, Atunah. Unfortunately, I can't tell much difference via the computer screen. Good to know the link is up on Amazon . . . . will download now!

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »
When I opened sideloaded content on my Voyage I was told something along the lines the Bold option wasn't available, but to use the Amazon Ember Bold font. Meanies. ;)

Only saw the message the first time.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 10:05:34 AM »
When I opened sideloaded content on my Voyage I was told something along the lines the Bold option wasn't available, but to use the Amazon Ember Bold font. Meanies. ;)

Only saw the message the first time.

Sounds like it's something that works for files with an Amazon format but not other compatible formats. You might also run into older files that don't have the updated format where the bold slider won't work.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 10:15:05 AM »
Oddly enough, I have some recipes where I used the chrome extension send to kindle and I have the bold slider.

I have a book I got from HQ.com and I converted in calibre and then used the send to kindle that is installed on my computer and it did not have the option for the bold. Hmm.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 10:21:14 AM »
Oddly enough, I have some recipes where I used the chrome extension send to kindle and I have the bold slider.

I have a book I got from HQ.com and I converted in calibre and then used the send to kindle that is installed on my computer and it did not have the option for the bold. Hmm.

Hmmm.

It makes sense to me that if you use Send to Kindle through Amazon that it would be the proper format.

Maybe when you send from Calibre it uses a different format?

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)