Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: (5.8.11) New font size/bolding update for all kindles released after 2013  (Read 7135 times)  

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: (5.8.11) New font size/bolding update for all kindles released after 2013
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 10:25:27 AM »
Hmmm.

It makes sense to me that if you use Send to Kindle through Amazon that it would be the proper format.

Maybe when you send from Calibre it uses a different format?
Mobi on calibre, that i know. No clue what it sends on the plug in. They are both the official amazon send to kindle thingies. Just one is a chrome extension and the other is a little program download.

I get pretty much all my books from Amazon so I am good to go. Those that sideload everything, may have to figure something out somewhere. If there is something to get figured out.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »
If you are using the publisher font, the bold slider may not work. It didn't with the one book I looked at so far, but not sure if that's a universal issue.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 10:35:54 AM »
I don't see publisher font very often on the books I get. But I usually use bookerly anyway. Bookerly and caecelia look pretty close to the same to me.

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 02:43:57 PM »
Hallelujah!  :o ;D

I've been waiting for this since they brought out the front lighting on the PW1. I can finally get back to reading in a serif font. (Up to now Helvetica has been the only one bold enough for me). Now I'm back with my beloved Caecilia.  8)

I think if they'd made this update only availabale on the new Oasis, as they have with some of the other enhancements, I may very well have spontaneously combusted.  :o :o

Thanks be to the mighty 'Zon.  :-*  I don't want to seem ungrateful by saying 'it took you long enough' but seriously Amazon, given how long it's been on other e-readers, this was waaaaaaay overdue.  :P
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 10:49:38 PM »
This new update is incredible. Been wanting weight control for years and seeing it now is horribly pleasing. Bookerly 3. Almost enough to make me cancel my new Oasis order. This update may have officially forced my Kindle 4 into retirement after all these years. Wow. Tried the Publisher Font and the bold slider is blacked out (you can use Calibre to add your choice of font via dafont.com or any other free font site and it defaults as "Publisher Font") but no big deal because you're choosing your font there anyhow.

One of the best updates ever! Well done, Amazon.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 08:14:20 AM »
As a little add to the new Font update on the 6" Oasis now that i've played with it for awhile. The downside for Calibre users who use their own non-drm files. You have to delete/strip the Style sheets of all your books in Edit mode in order for the Bold slider option to show up. Well worth the 30 seconds of hassle though. Caecilia Bold 2 and 3 looks just like the Kindle 4 font to me. Fantastic.
Stanley
=====

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 08:22:36 AM »
As a little add to the new Font update on the 6" Oasis now that i've played with it for awhile. The downside for Calibre users who use their own non-drm files. You have to delete/strip the Style sheets of all your books in Edit mode in order for the Bold slider option to show up. Well worth the 30 seconds of hassle though. Caecilia Bold 2 and 3 looks just like the Kindle 4 font to me. Fantastic.
Isn't it great? I was holding my K3 and the button basic next to the now bolded font on the Oasis and its about the same. #1 is enough for me for now. But that is the thing that has always bothered me when the screens went to higher quality resolution, it actually made the fonts thinner and lighter looking to me. In addition to the light layer that also made them a wee bit less dark. I always preferred the basic/buttons kindles font for that reason, but of course I have to have light now. This brings back that font I used to have.

Now that I had a chance to use it last night also, it really is fantastic now. Sometimes with the lighted screens when it gets dim, the font just kind of gets grayer, if that makes sense. So the contrast could be less good in dreary light. But now I can counteract that by making the font bolder, which of course makes it darker to my eyes. I strain less now I believe.

But I could not go past 1 on bold, especially on bookerly. They laid the bold on heavy on that font. 1 should be a tad less bolding. But it works for me so I am happy.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 08:31:21 AM »
FWIW  . . . it turns out that my daily newspaper does not use the bold font. When I opened today's issue I got a pop up that said it's not available. :(

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 08:34:39 AM »
FWIW  . . . it turns out that my daily newspaper does not use the bold font. When I opened today's issue I got a pop up that said it's not available. :(
Ah, too bad. I wonder if they have to do some different formatting for that to work and if they might come through properly in the future. I'd send feedback to kindle, you never know. I don't have a newspaper, but I do have the simplistic style reader digest, I'll have to check.

eta: also no bold, although I didn't get a popup telling me. But, since those are shorter articles, I can use one of the bolder fonts that are san serif. Which I cannot use reading fiction. I get Amber Bold there, which i don't see in normal books for some reason.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:37:18 AM by Atunah »

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 08:39:09 AM »
Ah, too bad. I wonder if they have to do some different formatting for that to work and if they might come through properly in the future. I'd send feedback to kindle, you never know. I don't have a newspaper, but I do have the simplistic style reader digest, I'll have to check.

eta: also no bold, although I didn't get a popup telling me. But, since those are shorter articles, I can use one of the bolder fonts that are san serif. Which I cannot use reading fiction. I get Amber Bold there, which i don't see in normal books for some reason.

Good idea . . . I'll send feedback. I do expect it has something to do with how they're formatted which is very slightly different to a book. For example, the menus along the top are different.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2017, 08:40:22 AM »

Bummer. Was hoping NYtimes would allow the slider. As goes with "send-to-kindle" and the Pocket wireless delivery: No Bold slider. :( What a great addition,regardless. Atunah, right there with you. I wonder what that inversion text is going to look like in the dark. A pitch dark room with White text and lighting. I really think those two LEDs are going to make a difference in the new Oasis. really interesting.
Stanley
=====

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2017, 08:43:09 AM »
For me, I'd never use the inverted scheme. Its horrible for my eyes. I tried that on tablets before and it makes the letters start "swimming" to my eyes. Horrible. But I know many love that.

I also don't like reading in a pitch dark room, I need a bit of a side light, or I get a headache. Any kind of other light source works. Its the same watching TV.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2017, 08:47:17 AM »
Bummer. Was hoping NYtimes would allow the slider. As goes with "send-to-kindle" and the Pocket wireless delivery: No Bold slider. :( What a great addition,regardless. Atunah, right there with you. I wonder what that inversion text is going to look like in the dark. A pitch dark room with White text and lighting. I really think those two LEDs are going to make a difference in the new Oasis. really interesting.

My paper is the Washington Post . . . NYTimes might be different. Can't say for sure.

As to the two extra LEDs, keep in mind the screen is a bit bigger so my expectation is that the extra two lights are to make the lighting the same as on the current Oasis.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2017, 08:54:29 AM »
My paper is the Washington Post . . . NYTimes might be different. Can't say for sure.

As to the two extra LEDs, keep in mind the screen is a bit bigger so my expectation is that the extra two lights are to make the lighting the same as on the current Oasis.

Definitely not, Ann!!! It's going to be completely different. ;) ...You're likely right. Regardless, the darker font makes it much easier for me to read in the dark now. Bold slider at 3 and light at 6 seems to be the sweet spot for me currently.
Stanley
=====

Offline hamerfan

• Totoville
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2017, 11:20:32 AM »
This update is exactly what I wanted. On the previous firmware, font size 2 was too big and 3 was too small. Now I get what I need. The bold slider is icing on the cake.
Thanks to Atunah for letting us know about it and big thanks to Amazon for making it possible!
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti, Formula One driver-

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »
I really like this update, except for my sideloaded content (which isn't a whole lot... but still...). I've actually dropped the font size down, and turned up the bold - so I'm also saving the battery because there's less page turns in the long run!

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2017, 04:51:43 PM »
.........As goes with "send-to-kindle" and the Pocket wireless delivery: No Bold slider.

I checked on a couple of the docs I'd put on my Kindle using "send to kindle" and the docs I'd originally downloaded from elsewhere didn't have the bold option, but the docs I'd made myself on my PC using Word DID have the bold option. Possibly in the future they may refine it to iron out the inconsistencies.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2017, 06:39:06 PM »
I just found this and downloaded to my Voyage.  I like the more variable font sizes and the bold for my old eyes.

What's the chance of making a stickey for this and the Fire threads, that would show updates as they occur?   It seems as though my Voyage never updates automatically and the Fire HD is rather slow, sometimes a couple of weeks after an update appears.  It would be nice to be able to spot them and update more quickly if desired.

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
Re: New font size/bolding coming for all kindles released after 2013
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2017, 02:53:29 AM »
That will be great for a lot of people!

Me! My eye doctor said my eyes were getting old and I pointed out they were the same age as my big toe...76 years. More sizes is great. I've always felt like the optimum size was between 3 and 4--from the right. During the day, four was fine but if I woke up at night I would go to three. Part of the reason for the change had to do with contrast--old eyes don't handle low contrast well--and the contrast control for all fonts is fantastic.

This almost make me want to reward Kindle and by the new Oasis. Almost but not quite. Buttons? Really? That's almost as useful as a hand crank for a starter on my pickup. My old Kndle Keyboard made it two weeks before one of the page buttons broke. I've never had a problem with the Paperwhite touch screen.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2017, 04:25:54 AM »
This almost make me want to reward Kindle and by the new Oasis. Almost but not quite. Buttons? Really? That's almost as useful as a hand crank for a starter on my pickup. My old Kndle Keyboard made it two weeks before one of the page buttons broke. I've never had a problem with the Paperwhite touch screen.

Physical buttons actually make the page turning easier for some people with hand grip or cramping issues. And I wish there was one that would take you home from wherever without multiple touches on the page.

Lots of people won't care at all about the font changes -- I thought what they had was fine, but admit that the additional options are a nice improvement.

There are also those who are really excited about the audible support and waterproof aspect, neither of which matter to me.

Bottom line . . . . Amazon is continually improving things, listening to customers, and offering options so that almost everyone can find something that works for them. I think that's a good thing. And it's good, also, that they're rolling out what features of the new Oasis that they can to earlier models.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2017, 06:02:19 AM »
Unfortunately the Left Justify option still seems only to work with books that have Enhanced Typesetting, so it's not very useful to me. I'm still going to have to run books through Calibre. The new Boldness option is pretty nice, though. I do prefer it to be set on 1. Nice.
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2017, 01:45:01 PM »
I just read all day on Palatino, which I never could to before. It  was always way to light and thin for me to see it comfortably. I put in on bold 2, as it seems to bold in smaller steps than bookerly and now I can read it so very comfortable. Bolded like that, its a much nicer looking font for my eyes. Less blurry.

I also turn the boldness on any font I read with at night up one notch. During the day I go back down one. It counteracts the slightly less contract I get at night because of the lighted screen.

I am so very happy with this update and will be as happy on the new Oasis I am sure. I can now use all of the serif fonts if I want to.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2017, 01:50:06 PM »
I'm very happy with this update because it's keeping me from buying an Oasis. *pats Voyage*

Offline mikeschr

• Portland, OR
  • DX, K4, KTouch, PW, Oasis
    • View Profile
    • OTR Comedy
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2017, 03:38:25 PM »
I was excited about the bold option, but now I'm disappointed because I have about half and half Amazon and sideloaded content.  It doesn't work on my sideloaded content, which means I can't choose one setting and not worry about it again.  Effectively, no improvement for me at all.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2017, 03:44:59 PM »
I managed to get the bold working on my sideloaded stuff. Given, I don't have a lot of that. But I use calibre for those and I convert using the both mobi old and new. I used to use only "old" before and they didn't have the bold. So I have to re-convert with "both" "new and old" and then when I send it they have the bold enabled. I use send to kindle via the computer program thingie after opening the folder in calibre. So I don't use calibre itself to send. I want my stuff in the cloud. Only downside is that I don't have covers showing anymore on the sideloaded stuff. It is why I used to send the "old" mobi to get the covers. But I rather have the bold. I only have a few books like that like those I get on free promo on harlequin.com and such sites. Otherwise I buy all from amazon.

Mind you, I am a very bare bones user of calibre and most of its functions are way over my head.  8)