KB Featured
Flight of the Tarantula Hawk
by Michael Allan Scott

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-02-10
Bestseller ranking: 4698

Product Description
On the IndieReader Best Book list and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the second book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Dark, different, featuring a damaged psychic, this is one of those disturbing novels that keeps you guessing.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

Supernatural Murder Mystery - Realtor Carla Simon has her first showing in nearly eighteen months. Recovering from a nervous breakdown, she arrives at the bank-owned foreclosure well ahead of her prospect. When her buyer pins her against the wall, it turns out to be the last house she'll ever show.

Looking for a new breed of supernatural thrillers? Paranormal mysteries of murder and suspense? Perhaps a psychic detective series which can be read and enjoyed in any order? Or maybe one of t...

Author Topic: (5.8.11) New font size/bolding update for all kindles released after 2013  (Read 7085 times)  

Offline mikeschr

• Portland, OR
  • DX, K4, KTouch, PW, Oasis
    • View Profile
    • OTR Comedy
Re: (5.8.11) New font size/bolding update for all kindles released after 2013
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2017, 04:59:02 PM »
I managed to get the bold working on my sideloaded stuff. Given, I don't have a lot of that. But I use calibre for those and I convert using the both mobi old and new. I used to use only "old" before and they didn't have the bold. So I have to re-convert with "both" "new and old" and then when I send it they have the bold enabled. I use send to kindle via the computer program thingie after opening the folder in calibre. So I don't use calibre itself to send. I want my stuff in the cloud. Only downside is that I don't have covers showing anymore on the sideloaded stuff. It is why I used to send the "old" mobi to get the covers. But I rather have the bold. I only have a few books like that like those I get on free promo on harlequin.com and such sites. Otherwise I buy all from amazon.

Mind you, I am a very bare bones user of calibre and most of its functions are way over my head.  8)

And now hearing this, I could probably reprocess all the stuff I bought elsewhere and replace it all in the cloud, but I'm not looking forward to it and don't know if it's worth it.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2017, 05:04:36 PM »
And now hearing this, I could probably reprocess all the stuff I bought elsewhere and replace it all in the cloud, but I'm not looking forward to it and don't know if it's worth it.
Now that I have used the bolded font, I don't want to be without it. Its like when I got my first HD TV, which was later than many, I could not unsee after that.  ;D

Thankfully I don't have a huge amount, still some. What I will do is open the manage my content page, sort by docs open calibre and basically delete the old file in the cloud and resend the new one, one by one. That way I don't end up with double files in the cloud. I'll still have to then delete them from one kindle I send them too. Also sorted by docs.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2017, 07:32:27 AM »
I managed to get the bold working on my sideloaded stuff. Given, I don't have a lot of that. But I use calibre for those and I convert using the both mobi old and new. I used to use only "old" before and they didn't have the bold. So I have to re-convert with "both" "new and old" and then when I send it they have the bold enabled. I use send to kindle via the computer program thingie after opening the folder in calibre.   8)

Very nice, Atunah. I've been going through a few books i'm going to read and once I peel off the style sheets in Edit, all the bold shows up. A fun thing if you haven't done is to convert epub or mobi to AZW3. This allows you to choose any font you want (pulls from your Word fonts) and it shows up as "Publisher Font" on your Kindle as an azw3 file. It's a really nice Calibre function. Comic sans anyone? Great if you want to add another Serif to your collection.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:34:26 AM by northofdivision »
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2017, 07:49:41 AM »
Very nice, Atunah. I've been going through a few books i'm going to read and once I peel off the style sheets in Edit, all the bold shows up. A fun thing if you haven't done is to convert epub or mobi to AZW3. This allows you to choose any font you want (pulls from your Word fonts) and it shows up as "Publisher Font" on your Kindle as an azw3 file. It's a really nice Calibre function. Comic sans anyone? Great if you want to add another Serif to your collection.
That is something I had attempted a while back and never could figure out how to do. I gave up on that. Most of the functions in that program are just to hard for me to figure out. I mainly use it as a backup tool.

I also can't send AZW3 files via the send to kindle, it only sends mobi files. I really don't feel like plugging in my kindle to the computer and calibre just for a couple of sideloaded books. If one has many, I can see that being more useful. Its just overall so much easier to get the books from Amazon and everything then just works.  ;D

Offline John Hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2017, 09:05:44 AM »
Re third party books emailed to my Kindle as docs, I noticed that, while the bold doesn't work, the new 14 size  levels do work, so there is still some of the new update goodness to be had.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2017, 09:06:55 AM »
True, the new font sizes were there, even in the old docs. But I want my bold now.  ;D

Offline Jodi O

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2017, 11:19:43 AM »
Oh happy day!!! I can finally use Bookerly (+1 bold), and a font size that doesn't make me either squint or leave me with 10 lines on a page. Thank you Amazon!

Offline Jodi O

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
Has anyone tried using Calibre to convert to AZW and then dropping them onto Kindle rather than emailing? I hope the bold option shows up with this method, as that's how I normally process (you get covers too). I'll try later or tomorrow.

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2017, 12:03:52 PM »
Has anyone tried using Calibre to convert to AZW and then dropping them onto Kindle rather than emailing? I hope the bold option shows up with this method, as that's how I normally process (you get covers too). I'll try later or tomorrow.

Yes, I tried both Mobi and Azw3 and always drop them via E: drive plugging in my Kindle. I had to delete Style sheets in the editor for the Bold to work but guessing that's because most of my files are Epub. Publishers who design their ebooks put Style sheets in because they was to present the book in a certain way with specific font layouts. I just deleted them and Bold showed up in all my books via Calibre. I added my own Font in the conversion of epub/mobi to azw3 because I like to have my own extra which shows up as "Publisher font"
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Jodi O

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2017, 05:11:23 PM »
Yes, I tried both Mobi and Azw3 and always drop them via E: drive plugging in my Kindle. I had to delete Style sheets in the editor for the Bold to work but guessing that's because most of my files are Epub. Publishers who design their ebooks put Style sheets in because they was to present the book in a certain way with specific font layouts. I just deleted them and Bold showed up in all my books via Calibre. I added my own Font in the conversion of epub/mobi to azw3 because I like to have my own extra which shows up as "Publisher font"

I just tried too. Most of my side-loaded books are originally mobi converted to AZW and dropped onto the Kindle. All but one that I checked had the bold option. That one was probably converted differently.

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2017, 06:59:17 PM »

I use Calibre to convert to AZW, but I use the server built into Calibre to send the books wirelessly to my Kindle. The bold option did show up.
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2017, 08:43:41 AM »
The article says: "Your Kindle should download and install the latest software version while connected to Wi-Fi and charging."

That's not happening with my PaperWhite 3. It still shows as V5.8.10. Are they staggering the upgrades?

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »
Probably. I stopped being patient some time ago and now just grab it myself and download it and then update.  ;D

It can take weeks to get all of them out. Often, they get downloaded via wifi when its wifi on and just sitting there, not being used. So when its plugged in at night is a good time for it to download.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2017, 09:27:34 AM »
Thanks, Atunah. I usually just wait for updates to happen, and for me they're always much later than reported here, but I downloaded the latest to my Oasis last night, and it is great.

The font sizes available alone don't solve the too small or too large issue for me, but adding bold set at 1 gives the illusion of making too small large enough or something. So it's a fix for a long-time problem. I haven't experimented with different fonts the way you have, just left it at Bookerly and changed it back and forth. Will have to take another look at some of the others, although only serif fonts work for me.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2017, 09:27:51 AM »
The article says: "Your Kindle should download and install the latest software version while connected to Wi-Fi and charging."

That's not happening with my PaperWhite 3. It still shows as V5.8.10. Are they staggering the upgrades?

They always stagger updates.  My Voyage doesn't get updates for about 3 weeks after a new release unless I manually download it.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2017, 09:34:28 AM »
Thanks, Atunah. I usually just wait for updates to happen, and for me they're always much later than reported here, but I downloaded the latest to my Oasis last night, and it is great.

The font sizes available alone don't solve the too small or too large issue for me, but adding bold set at 1 gives the illusion of making too small large enough or something. So it's a fix for a long-time problem. I haven't experimented with different fonts the way you have, just left it at Bookerly and changed it back and forth. Will have to take another look at some of the others, although only serif fonts work for me.
Yay. I really wanted you to see it sooner, than wait for the update to get to you. I had the same thought with the font sizes, in itself they look the same as they have before, the difference between 3 and 4 being my issue. But like you, when you make it bold, it changes it all. It gets thicker, bolder, so appears "larger". Probably because its much easier to read. I too only use serif fonts, I cannot read in non serif. I still like bookerly a lot, now much much better because I can bold it. It always seemed a tad lighter than even the caecila. I have been reading this current book with palotino just to see. It was never an option before as it was just so thin and light it hurt my eyes. But with bold at 2, its so readable now. But I think going forward, bookerly still works probably best for me overall. Its a great readable font. I use bold at #1 for it and its contrast is almost like the non lighted kindles used to be. That nice dark font that I had missed.

I found especially as it gets dark the bold now counteracts the slightly washed out fonts I got then. When the lighting is more noticable. Now its perfect.

I still don't like baskerville much, its just too short. Not sure how else to put it.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2017, 11:06:05 AM »

The other thing about staggered updates is that, if you don't have wifi on all the time, and they send it when it's off, they might not send it again for a while. It likely will NOT come over 3G even for those who have cellular wireless.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2017, 12:15:49 PM »
The other thing about staggered updates is that, if you don't have wifi on all the time, and they send it when it's off, they might not send it again for a while. It likely will NOT come over 3G even for those who have cellular wireless.

When I was talking to an Amazon rep once, he informed me updates could be done over 3G - but he couldn't make it happen. I never had any of my 3G devices update that way after wifi became possible on them. Since I only had dial up internet at home, I'd take the Kindle to the library with me, wake it and sit it there hoping something would happen. Sometimes it did. :)

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
  • Happy Voyage, Oasis and Oasis2 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2017, 05:08:17 PM »
I currently own a Voage and an Oasis 1.  I still havent received the new update.  I know I can download and install it manually but I was hoping they would update automatically.  Has anyone else not received the new update.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2017, 06:07:40 PM »
The Voyage I just shipped off to Amazon as a trade-in had not updated as of 5 p.m. today, and my Oasis 1 had not updated as of maybe midnight last night when I did it manually. Updates for me have always been weeks behind everyone else. I'm in Colorado.

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
  • Happy Voyage, Oasis and Oasis2 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2017, 06:31:34 PM »
The Voyage I just shipped off to Amazon as a trade-in had not updated as of 5 p.m. today, and my Oasis 1 had not updated as of maybe midnight last night when I did it manually. Updates for me have always been weeks behind everyone else. I'm in Colorado.

Thanks.  I think I will just wait for the update to happen automatically.

Offline amyberta

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2017, 08:00:04 PM »
I currently own a Voage and an Oasis 1.  I still havent received the new update.  I know I can download and install it manually but I was hoping they would update automatically.  Has anyone else not received the new update.

I always get it two weeks after everybody else.

Offline Cindy64

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2017, 12:41:30 AM »
I don't quite know how to explain this, but is there a way to downgrade of some sort? got to a previous update or "patch"? I'd appreciate, if someone knows how.

Offline John Hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2017, 02:18:55 AM »
I always get it two weeks after everybody else.
For the last couple of years, I have always manually updated - just too impatient, even when the update sometimes has little or nothing of interest in it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2017, 04:55:02 AM »
I don't quite know how to explain this, but is there a way to downgrade of some sort? got to a previous update or "patch"? I'd appreciate, if someone knows how.

Not that I know of. Once it updates, you can't go back.

If you did a previous update manually, and still have the .bin file, you may be able to re-copy it to the kindle -- but I'm not sure the device will show it as 'ready for update' at that point.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac