Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: (5.8.11) New font size/bolding update for all kindles released after 2013  (Read 6975 times)  

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: (5.8.11) New font size/bolding update for all kindles released after 2013
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2017, 06:18:22 AM »
As far as I can tell, reading some of the geek posts on other sites, you can't go down in a update once its done. As each update is always a full type update. Or whatever the geeky term is. Its why you don't have to get little updates in between in case you haven't updated in a while and are missing some of them.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Jodi O

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2017, 02:00:56 PM »
This is odd. I just downloaded a free .mobi book from a non-Amazon site. I converted via Calibre to .azw3 and to .mobi (old and new) to experiment. I dropped the .azw3 onto the Kindle, and emailed the .mobi. Neither of them are showing the bold option. I can't imagine why.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2017, 02:28:39 PM »
I can't get it to work anymore either. I know I had tried it with a couple and bold was there. I used the send to kindle option after re-converting the books to both old and new mobi in calibre. Then when I tried other books, it didn't work. I have no clue what is the difference, but I used the same settings, which is just basic stuff as I don't know much about fancy calibre stuff. I fiddled and fiddled for 2 hours the other day, trying to get those sideloaded books to show bold again. Nothing.
I have decided now I am done with sideloaded books, other than recipes. I am tired of trying to fiddle and make stuff work to get it in the cloud. I don't care anymore if a book is free or what, if its not in kindle format, I have no interest anymore. I am done. There is a reason why kindle is so popular, it just works. I could have read a book in the time I tried to figure that out, and saved me some grey hairs.  :-\

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »
This is odd. I just downloaded a free .mobi book from a non-Amazon site. I converted via Calibre to .azw3 and to .mobi (old and new) to experiment. I dropped the .azw3 onto the Kindle, and emailed the .mobi. Neither of them are showing the bold option. I can't imagine why.
It is an Enhanced Typography feature. I believe there is a plug-in for calibre that generates what they are calling KFX format, which you can side-load and get some or all of these features:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272407

I have not tried it myself.

Offline Jodi O

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2017, 02:45:52 PM »
I can't get it to work anymore either. I know I had tried it with a couple and bold was there. I used the send to kindle option after re-converting the books to both old and new mobi in calibre. Then when I tried other books, it didn't work. I have no clue what is the difference, but I used the same settings, which is just basic stuff as I don't know much about fancy calibre stuff. I fiddled and fiddled for 2 hours the other day, trying to get those sideloaded books to show bold again. Nothing.
I have decided now I am done with sideloaded books, other than recipes. I am tired of trying to fiddle and make stuff work to get it in the cloud. I don't care anymore if a book is free or what, if its not in kindle format, I have no interest anymore. I am done. There is a reason why kindle is so popular, it just works. I could have read a book in the time I tried to figure that out, and saved me some grey hairs.  :-\

I totally understand your frustration. Really. It's getting old, getting all the techy stuff to work right consistently. Unfortunately, I have some sources for (legitimate) free non-fiction books that have nothing to do with Amazon. So, I'm stuck. There is a Calibre update pending that I haven't downloaded yet. I'll try that.

Offline Jodi O

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2017, 02:47:02 PM »
It is an Enhanced Typography feature. I believe there is a plug-in for calibre that generates what they are calling KFX format, which you can side-load and get some or all of these features:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272407

I have not tried it myself.

The thing is, it worked just a few days ago. I checked side-loaded .mobi and .azw3 just after the firmware update, and bold was showing. Others saw the same. But I will definitely look into the Calibre plugin, thanks :)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2017, 02:49:49 PM »
I totally understand your frustration. Really. It's getting old, getting all the techy stuff to work right consistently. Unfortunately, I have some sources for (legitimate) free non-fiction books that have nothing to do with Amazon. So, I'm stuck. There is a Calibre update pending that I haven't downloaded yet. I'll try that.
Oh, I understand. Some of mine are basically promo books from a publisher website you earn by earning points. But I have to convert from epub to mobi and now with bold that I really really love now, I have to have all books with it enabled.

Let us know if you can get it to work. For me, it must work with send to kindle so its in the cloud. Side loading from calibre by plugging in the kindle is not an option for me. Its just odd that i was able to get a few of them done and then suddenly bam, it didn't work. I didn't update anything in the time between and I am not techy enough to figure out what the difference now is.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2017, 03:01:19 PM »
The thing is, it worked just a few days ago. I checked side-loaded .mobi and .azw3 just after the firmware update, and bold was showing. Others saw the same. But I will definitely look into the Calibre plugin, thanks :)

Interesting. I am wrong about it being an ET feature. I just looked at one of my calibre-converted books and it has Bold slider. I believe it does require KF8 format, and does not work with embedded fonts.

Offline Jodi O

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »
I have a lot of Project Gutenberg books that were downloaded as .mobi, converted to .azw3 by Calbre and saved to Kindle within Calibre. All of these books which I converted in the past have the bold slider. But...if I do the exact same thing today, there is no bold slider.

I also have a number of .mobi books that I simply emailed to my Kindle email account and downloaded to Kindle. Some of these have the bold slider, some do not. But, again, if I do that today...no bold slider.

So, it doesn't look like Kf8 format is required.

Bizarrely, it looks like books that are side-loaded AFTER the firmware update do not show the slider. But I'm still going to fool around with it.

Offline Jodi O

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2017, 05:43:20 PM »
Okay. I found something that works. I add the .mobi to Calibre and convert to .mobi, old/new. I select "edit metadata" in Calibre and delete the original .mobi. I plug in the Kindle and use Calibre to send the new .mobi to the device. I get the bold slider AND the option to add to Goodreads as currently reading. If I use "Send to Kindle" to send the same file, no bold.

I know Atunah doesn't want to plug in, which is a nuisance and doesn't allow for archiving. But, so far, that's all I've got.

Interesting. I am wrong about it being an ET feature. I just looked at one of my calibre-converted books and it has Bold slider. I believe it does require KF8 format, and does not work with embedded fonts.

Yeah, I *think* that the hybrid .mobi (old,new) includes KF8 formatting, though I actually have no idea what that means :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:29:24 PM by Jodi O »

Offline stevene9

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2017, 02:35:35 PM »
For me the new bold option is the greatest improvement in the Kindle since the lighting was added. Like so many of you I used to get any improved Kindle that came out. I have spread more Kindles around my town than Santa Clause has. I don't know if any improvement in the Kindle will matter to me anymore. The Oasis #1 with the new bold answers all my prayers.

Steve

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2017, 04:42:07 PM »
Okay. I found something that works. I add the .mobi to Calibre and convert to .mobi, old/new. I select "edit metadata" in Calibre and delete the original .mobi. I plug in the Kindle and use Calibre to send the new .mobi to the device. I get the bold slider AND the option to add to Goodreads as currently reading. If I use "Send to Kindle" to send the same file, no bold.

I know Atunah doesn't want to plug in, which is a nuisance and doesn't allow for archiving. But, so far, that's all I've got.

Yeah, I *think* that the hybrid .mobi (old,new) includes KF8 formatting, though I actually have no idea what that means :)

Yes, thats the idea. Some of the really old Kindles (K1 and K2) and orphaned Kindle apps dont support KF8, so including the older mobi format provides compatibility for those, should one ever need it.

Some day I wish they would let you use send to kindle with KF8-only files. Hybrid files are at least twice as big to upload, which means you get to the 50MB upload size limit faster than necessary (or maybe there is a calibre trick to make the mobi segment very small so the penalty is minimal).

Also last time I checked you cannot upload any of the fixed-layout formats other than vanilla PDF. So KF8 comic/manga/childrens book formats cannot be uploaded, and same is true of textbook (print replica) format (sort of PDF+).

But then it is a free service, and one that competition for the most part does not have.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2017, 11:46:10 AM »
Those who have been patiently waiting for the update to push to their Kindles may want to check again.  Sometime in the last week or so my Voyage did update.  I did not get a "what's new" notice, see the update/restart in settings bolded instead of greyed out, nor did I open my cover to find it on the home page instead of within a book where I had left it (usual indication for me that it has reset itself applying an update).

Last night I was continuing a read and having a little trouble with my eyes, so I went to the Aa menu to temporarily increase the font size. Lo and behold there were the lovely little slider boxes for bolding and font size!  Wow, wow, wow, do I love being able to increase boldness just +1! It makes a huge difference in legibility to me, and I agree with Atunah and ellenoc that bolder print does make a smaller-sized font seem bigger just because it is "thicker".

I did play around with some of the different font choices at different sizes and bolding and I am very content with Bookerly at bolding #1 and have been able to decrease the font size from what showed as #10 on the new slider to #08 without my readability suffering at all. YAY!!

I do notice a little more ghosting on page turns.  I presume that's because of the increased pixels to make it bolder needing to release and reform into new words.  It's most noticeable in the bottom right-hand corner when the previous page had a full line of words across the page and there is a blank spot on the new page where a sentence at the end of a paragraph ends part-way across the page.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2017, 02:30:43 PM »
crebel -- you might check the setting about how often the page refreshes. If you set .it so it does on every page turn, that might reduce the ghosting. I have to say I've not noticed it myself on either my Oasis16 or Voyage

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2017, 03:16:39 PM »
crebel -- you might check the setting about how often the page refreshes. If you set .it so it does on every page turn, that might reduce the ghosting. I have to say I've not noticed it myself on either my Oasis16 or Voyage

Thanks, I've always kept my Kindles set to every page refresh and I checked to make sure that was not changed. Like I said, it's most noticeable to me when the page turns from a full line to a partial line, definitely not a deal breaker.

Another plus with the update I didn't mention is that it appears to my eyes that the bolding extends to the Home Page (mine is in List View) - the font size isn't changed, but I think print is definitely darker and therefore easier to read.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2017, 06:23:35 PM »
Why could Amazon not do a version of the 5.8.11 firmware for the Kindle Touch?  It is so similar to the K7 Basic unit and the last firmware update for it gave it the List View or Cover View (Grid View) option of the newer Kindle models.  I get the impression that Amazon limits the firmware feature upgrades to newer models to help encourage new sales even though the older units still are working perfectly.  Heck I still have a new condition Kindle 1!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2017, 06:30:36 PM »
Why could Amazon not do a version of the 5.8.11 firmware for the Kindle Touch?  It is so similar to the K7 Basic unit and the last firmware update for it gave it the List View or Cover View (Grid View) option of the newer Kindle models.  I get the impression that Amazon limits the firmware feature upgrades to newer models to help encourage new sales even though the older units still are working perfectly.  Heck I still have a new condition Kindle 1!

Keep in mind that technology has changed a lot in the last 10 years. The Touch, for example, was released in 2011 -- that's a million years in processor power evolution. It is very likely that some of the features they're adding to the newest models are beyond what the hardware from that long ago can run. Frankly, I'm impressed that they're including some of the font improvements to even the Voyage and and 3rd Gen PW -- they're 3 years old, after all!

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR