Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.
KB Featured
TBD
by TBD

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2016-01-12
Bestseller ranking: 757432

Product Description
With the odd disappearance of her parents, Gussie Gibson has lived her entire life with her granny on a peaceful pecan orchard, owned by the meanest man in all of Georgia—Mr. J.P. Combs. Granny teaches Gussie many valuable life lessons as a black woman growing up in the still-segregated south. Mr. Combs is an evil underhanded banker who takes liberties beyond his privilege. When Granny dies, Combs informs Gussie she owes him back rent—but he wants much more than money for payment—and more than Gussie can live with.
After defending herself against his sexual advances, Gussie flees to escape certain vigilante justice when she meets a charming, handsome stranger, Sam Johnson, who is just returning from World War II.
Gussie and Sam’s friendship is short-lived when Mr. Combs hunts her down and drags her back to Green Ridge, driven by his craving for revenge and a grudge too deep to comprehend. Gussie fights to return to Sam and his lo...

Author Topic: Poll: What gets you past writer's block without fail?  (Read 2316 times)  

Offline sugarhit

• View Profile
Poll: What gets you past writer's block without fail?
« on: October 11, 2017, 09:55:06 AM »
And if you think writer's block doesn't exist, this isn't the thread for you. Keep it movin'

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
Re: Poll: What gets you past writer's block without fail?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:01:23 AM »
Does writer's pause count? I sometimes come to a stop on a scene because there's something about it I'm not happy with, but I can't pinpoint it. Then I do something else and out of the blue the solution pops in my head. This usually takes place in the shower or other area where I'm not conveniently near the computer to write it down.

Online ImaWriter

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:11:09 AM »
The shower for me as well! Talking through an idea out loud, while in a hot shower, works wonders for me.

Brilliance is conceived in my shower.  :D   At one point I thought of installing a voice recorder in the bathroom so I could remember stuff.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:15:48 AM »
The shower for me as well! Talking through an idea out loud, while in a hot shower, works wonders for me.

Brilliance is conceived in my shower.  :D   At one point I thought of installing a voice recorder in the bathroom so I could remember stuff.
HAHA I know right? It's the relaxation coupled with, I swear, the lack of ability to write it down that does it. I guess maybe a recorder would be a bad idea for me - don't want to jinx the process!

Offline RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:16:11 AM »
I jump to another, more fleshed out scene or I switch novels altogether. I find that giving myself a break always helps and when I come back to the sticky scene things are usually much clearer and easier to figure out since the rest of the novel is now more whole.
thepixiechronicles.com

Offline David R. Larson

• Pacific NW
    • View Profile
    • Nobody's Nose
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 10:30:13 AM »
I think about it as I'm falling asleep and let my subconscious take a crack at it.

The shower is good too, but I more often get ideas for entirely different stories in there. Have thought about finding some sort of waterproof pad / grease pencil combo for just such occasions.

David R. Larson | Big Boy (Short Film) | Website | Twitter

Offline KateDanley

• View Profile
    • KateDanley.com
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 10:51:16 AM »
I'm realizing that some of my writer's block was coming from getting too enmeshed in world events and social media.  My brain was so wrapped up in what was going on, I wasn't able to focus on my story.  I recently installed StayFocused.  I set it to turn off my internet at 9AM every morning for a couple hours and to only allow me an hour on all of my favorite time suck websites (Facebook, Twitter, NY Times).  It's been working wonders.

Kate Danley | Website | Facebook | Blog | Newsletter | Instagram

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 11:04:35 AM »
Usually just writing the wrong words makes the right words pop up eventually. I've stripped 50,000 words of useless drek from novels before, but writing the useless stuff helped me find what was essential.

I don't usually write more than 45 minutes at a time, and take lots of walks/pace around the kitchen. I've also been doing high intensity interval training, HIIT. The day after I tend to write more.  Also dark chocolate and plenty of white tea help, too.  ;)

I never write a novel until I know the end. That is a biggie. If you know how it will end, it's just a matter of getting there. Not knowing where you are going is a killer.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:06:11 AM by C. Gockel »

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Online Allyson J.

• South Carolina, USA
  • Writer. Traveler. Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • AllysonJeleyne.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
StayFocused or BrainFM and forcing myself to put words on the page. I've cured plot problems in the shower, too.

Victorian, Edwardian, and Jazz Age romance
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Mailing List

Online C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 11:26:10 AM »
Zoning out to music.

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline anniejocoby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 11:31:02 AM »
I keep on moving until I get past it. I have to say, I had a mild panic in writing my latest WIP. It's due October 20 (it's in preorder status right now), and, up until recently, I had no clue where I wanted it to go. I briefly thought that I was going to have to cancel the preorder and go into hiding. But then I got a tiny kernel of an idea, and that broke open the dam. Now, I have a map in my head, and I'm excited again. Phew.

Two dollars! Two dollars! I want my two dollars!!!
Annie Jocoby | ]Badge[/url] | Annie Jocoby website

Offline JoyMosby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »
I jump to another, more fleshed out scene or I switch novels altogether. I find that giving myself a break always helps and when I come back to the sticky scene things are usually much clearer and easier to figure out since the rest of the novel is now more whole.
I do this as well 8)

The other thing that works for me is journaling. I make a list what could happen next, and usually by the third or forth idea I come up with one that will get me where I want the story to go.

Joy Mosby | JoyMosby.com

Offline Catherine Lea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 12:26:58 PM »
I keep on moving until I get past it. I have to say, I had a mild panic in writing my latest WIP. It's due October 20 (it's in preorder status right now), and, up until recently, I had no clue where I wanted it to go. I briefly thought that I was going to have to cancel the preorder and go into hiding. But then I got a tiny kernel of an idea, and that broke open the dam. Now, I have a map in my head, and I'm excited again. Phew.

This is exactly what happens to me. I get to a block at around 30K words. It's because I'm a pantser at this stage and it's usually because I haven't figured out the theme or I don't have a cohesive central storyline. I'm still groping around in the dark, searching for it. I consider myself experienced enough to know when a story isn't ringing true, or characters are behaving out of...well, character. Repeated experience of WB tells me time and time again that I should start EVERY story with a tagline. It's thinking up the tagline that's the hard part. Hence the block.

The best thing for me is to step back for a few days, figure out where I want it to go  and force myself onward. Reporting word counts in my critique group helps. Learning how to stop micro self-editing would be helpful as well.

There's no such thing as a simple plan.
Catherine Lea | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »
Does writer's pause count? I sometimes come to a stop on a scene because there's something about it I'm not happy with, but I can't pinpoint it. Then I do something else and out of the blue the solution pops in my head.

This!~  :D  I usually just start with a sentence, hmm whats the very next step then move to the next and then it kicks in and I am ready to roll.. but when I am blocked I have to roll it around in my head and find the right way to take it before I can do anything else.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:34:34 PM by Pandorra »
Fate\'s Fallen: 100%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 54%

Evolution\'s Child: 100%
Dean Rencraft | Website

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 12:34:02 PM »
Give myself more time.  I only seem to get writer's block, when I impose a deadline.  Or write myself into a corner, but that's more writer's pause...as C. Gold said. :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »
Before I cured my writer's block, music was the thing that worked.

Offline Benjamin Douglas

• Iowa
  • Reading :) Riting :) Rithmatic :(
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Douglas Books
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 01:04:08 PM »
So far the only thing that MAKES me write if I don't wanna is a looming deadline (hello, KDP preorder).

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 01:13:42 PM »
So far the only thing that MAKES me write if I don't wanna is a looming deadline (hello, KDP preorder).

:o I couldn't... I would spend all my time freaking out if I was close to the deadline or not!
Fate\'s Fallen: 100%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 54%

Evolution\'s Child: 100%
Dean Rencraft | Website

Offline Evenstar

• UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 01:35:55 PM »

Me too. Editorial deadlines are the only thing that work for me. If I don't have one then I faff about for weeks doing a tiny bit here and a tiny bit there.
With a deadline it is all about word count. I know my word count goal for every book before I start and then I get in a flap near the deadline of "Oh hell, I only have ten days left and I'm still 20k short of my word count." If I don't know what to write then I write something, anything, total drivel, to get me to the goal. I can polish it later, but I know I must finish that first draft by the deadline no matter what.

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 01:47:08 PM »
Echoing what others have said, thinking showers are v helpful. Also, getting some exercise, going for a walk, bike ride, or to the gym. Personally, I love to talk it out with a writer friend. They always ask me a series of questions and forcing me to answer them usually shakes something loose. I know that approach isn't for everyone.

I also like the Pixar suggestion of making a list of things that wouldn't happen next. You'd be surprised how often those answers can get you unstuck.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline David Chill

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 02:14:31 PM »
Long walks do it for me. Whatever knotty problem I had in the beginning usually works itself out by the time I get back home.

David Chill

Offline Pacman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Leo Nix
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 02:40:17 PM »
This is exactly what happens to me. I get to a block at around 30K words. It's because I'm a pantser at this stage and it's usually because I haven't figured out the theme or I don't have a cohesive central storyline. I'm still groping around in the dark, searching for it. I consider myself experienced enough to know when a story isn't ringing true, or characters are behaving out of...well, character. Repeated experience of WB tells me time and time again that I should start EVERY story with a tagline. It's thinking up the tagline that's the hard part. Hence the block.

The best thing for me is to step back for a few days, figure out where I want it to go  and force myself onward. Reporting word counts in my critique group helps. Learning how to stop micro self-editing would be helpful as well.

Same, I also go back to the previous chapter and begin to edit, that draws me back into the story and away I go.

If I get stuck half way through a scene, I'll lie back in my chair and go into the zone and process it. I take the scene into my special space. It looks a bit like a train with carriages, or like a sentence, and there I'll work on it. I'll often fall asleep, come back to it, often I'll find that it's fleshed out after a few of these in-and-out passes.

I keep going in and out of this space until I'm ready to sit back at the laptop and work. It usually only takes 5 or 10 minutes using this process.

post-apocalypse anyone?
Leo Nix | web

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 04:52:50 PM »
Doing dishes.

Nothing makes the ideas flow better for me than hand scrubbing a sinkful of dishes. I invariably have to stop partway through and jot down a bunch of notes.

Works every time.

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 05:29:39 PM »
Caffeine. Lots of it.

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Offline UghSoUncool

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 06:29:07 PM »
Doing dishes.

Nothing makes the ideas flow better for me than hand scrubbing a sinkful of dishes. I invariably have to stop partway through and jot down a bunch of notes.

Works every time.

Ditto! Washing the dishes, sweeping the floor, feeding the cat, checking the mail, pretty much anything household related gives my brain a chance to breathe and wander off somewhere non-story related (and yet, it always comes back with ideas)
Beep Beep, My Dudes.