Kadaxis LLC

Author Topic: ***Proofreading Service $50 flat rate per book***  (Read 22668 times)  

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
Roxana did one just before Christmas, super fast. Found more than a dozen items, of which half a dozen were those really tough typos of the word being correctly spelled but extra to the sentence. For the price, well worth it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:30:11 AM by LilyBLily »

Offline Ebook Proofreading

• View Profile
Re: Proofreading Service $30 flat rate per book OR $15 for bulk orders
« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2018, 11:09:06 AM »
Roxana did one just before Christmas, super fast. Found more than a dozen items, of which half a dozen were those really tough typos of the word being correctly spelled but extra to the sentence. For the price, well worth it.

Thank you so much for your order!

https://proofreadebooks.com/

This is a limited offer. You can order or pre-order:

Proofreading ----> $15 flat rate per book

Order now:

*send the payment to the paypal address rothnotions@gmail.com
*email your books to booksfreelance@gmail.com

Follow the 2 steps above to order.

Delivery time:

7 Days

I just wanted to chime in and give a big thanks to Roxana and her team.

She's proofed 3 books for me, and these were not short books. Yet each one was done in a week's time, and errors were caught. I am phenomenally pleased with the results.

Spelling errors, missing punctuation, quotations, and duplicate words or sentences, the things your average reader is likely to pick up on and care about, are all things Roxana caught when I sent my books her way!

This is a fantastic service. Just got my manuscript back very quickly and with a very thorough proofread completed on it.

Thank you Roxana!

Roxana did my novella for me! She was quicker than I expected, and caught a bunch of mistakes I haven't seen through my revisions <3

I used Roxana and was very pleased with the results.

She/they proofread 2 of my current stories and found some issues. 

I would say that is good work, on top of that is was ONLY $30 per book.

I am going to try her editing next ;)

This is an outstanding value. I received my manuscript back six days after I sent it.

I'm only 1/4 of a way through the manuscript, but I've found numerous corrections that were spot on, and have made my book better.

Once again, I learn I'm terrible at editing my own work!

I'll be using Roxana's service again for my next book.

Coming out of lurker mode to add my recommendation to Roxana. I used her proofreading services, and she exceeded my expectations. If I had to leave a grade, this would be a solid A from a tough grader.

First, whoever proofread my book wasn't looking out only for typos, it also included other suggestions. I'd say that this is definitely more Proofreading on Steroids than straight proofreading. Second, the turn around time is brilliant. It's speedy and yet I wouldn't say that the work suffers for the speed.

Not only would I recommend this service to others, but I plan on continuing to use her proofreading services for future projects.

Ok, what can I say, but Roxana did a good job.

My second book has been proofread 4 times already. I sent her 75% of the book as a test (approx 60k words). I did make a few upgrades so I figured I'd give her a try. I purchased the $15 package for proofreading. She found 15 legitimate errors and 2 errors that were more preference and could be read either way. None would be easy for a program to find (at least in my opinion). So I am forced to give her a thumbs up!  ;D I'm not a newbie and have been on the kboards for over a year.

Great job. I'm not sure how she's doing it for such a low price, but so far things look good for her company.

Used their service for proofreading a novella. I gave them a super short deadline and they more than delivered. Was 2 or 3 days I received my manuscript back. Definitely happy with the quick turn around that kept me on schedule. Thank you!

I sent out my 75,000 word novel for a proofread and received it back 3 days later. Around a dozen errors were found, mostly issues that spell check would not have found. I'm incredibly satisfied. I'll definitely use them again!

I am a longtime lurker but thought it might be useful to post my experience with Ebook Proofreading. I sent my file, a 96,000 word novel (hey, it said all books, right?) and got a quick reply that my file was received, so I paid with PayPal, and just a point of order here--it's 30 euro, not 30 dollars, so it cost approx $36. I got my book back today, a quick 5-day turnaround and was pleasantly surprised. She did what she said she would, efficiently, and with good cheer, so now I am dusting off some other projects to submit for proofreading. I am so pleased to have this obstacle behind me. Cheers to Roxana . . .

Roxana did one of my books for me. I am very pleased. The manuscript was returned ahead of schedule, and her work was most professional. I will use her service again. Thank you, Roxana.

Just chiming in to say that I'm trying things out, too. For $15, there's very little to lose and it's better than asking my English teacher friend for a favor. I don't expect to get feedback about how I should go back to writing literary short stories all the time.

I sent in work last week, and it was done two days early. I am going through the corrections now, and I'm pleased with the work.

I sent in one of my books and it turned out great. My 60k MS only took 3 days, and they found nearly 300 errors! I'm going to send another book. Thank you for this service.   :)

Sent two stories that had previously been proofread. Got them back in three days and I'm very satisfied. It's always good to have an extra pair of eyes.
Thanks Roxana and the team!

Roxana proofread my novella and only took a few days. Very happy with the results and will definitely be using this service again.

I handed in a 110k novel. It was supposed to take 7 days. I got it back after 4 and I'm very pleased with the result. I will definitely use this service again. In fact, I just bought the 3-book package.   ;D

Sent in a 106k manuscript. Got it back ahead of schedule.

Work is good, clean, professional. She found quite a few mistakes.
While the usual spelling errors were picked up, she also found:
-incorrect word substitutions,
-missing articles
-missing conjunctions
-Missing or incorrectly employed commas and other punctuation.

I noticed she did not find any issues with my dialog/quotation mark punctuation. Other editors have nitpicked that in my previous books. I'm not sure if I have simply altered my style to reflect this or if she used a different standard. Going over it now, I'm inclined to think that it's me and not her, though.

Bottom line?
It it is well worth fifteen or thirty, or even a hundred dollars. Fastest and easiest draft clean-up I've ever seen. If you have a good manuscript that needs a cleaning? I absolutely recommend her.

I decided on the 3-book, $45.00 deal. First manuscript came back several days ahead of schedule. Very satisfied with the proofed work!

Just chiming in to say that Roxana got it done and back to me in a little under three days, and it looks good. I plan to send the next two books her way.

Just popping in to say really pleased with the proofread, I like to think my manuscript was pretty clean but Roxanna picked up some mistakes including some wonky pronouns and a fair few random commas.  Quick and professional, definitely worth the fee.

Roxana is amazing! I sent her a 50K manuscript and she had it back to me within 3 days. The manuscript is clear of all typos and she even caught some awkward phrasing. I completely recommend this service and suggest you take her up on her $15 limited offer because she should *definitely* be charging more! ;D

Roxana rocks! She returned my 60K manuscript within 3 days, catching simple typos and some grammatical gaffs of mine. Quick and efficient, couldn't ask for more. And at these introductory rates, it's a huge bargain! I'll definitely be repeat customer.

Just chipping in to say I've just used Roxana's service for two books and I'm very pleased. Very quick and efficient service - will be using again!

Thank you, Roxana!

There's nothing like another proof read, especially when I go back for a tinker with the story. You give excellent value. I recommend your service.

Good service! There weren't many problems in my books - about fifteen in each. I'm pleased. I should mention that I did proofread both books very thoroughly before submitting them, so I wasn't expecting many errors.

I did sent my manuscripts. All of them. 32!  :P Already proofread. And she still found quite a few mistakes.  :o  I completely recommend this

This is a limited offer. The price will change tomorrow. You can order or pre-order:

Order now:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:41:59 AM by Ebook Proofreading »
Flat rate per book:
proofreadebooks.com

• View Profile
Re: Proofreading & Line Editing Service (between $10 and $50 per book!)
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2018, 07:23:22 AM »
We are available for orders!  :)

Order or Pre-Order:

Line Editing ----> $30 flat rate per book   

Order now:

Follow the 2 steps above to order before the price changes. My team is waiting! 😊

Delivery time:

7 Days

OR

NEW
If you want to get a better deal on proofreading and editing, please try:

Proofreading and Line Editing Service Monthly Subscription:

https://www.patreon.com/ProofreadingService

Prices start at $10

*Proofreading for one book per month  $10
*Proofreading for 2 books per month    $20
*Proofreading for 3 books per month    $30

*Line Editing for one book per month   $35
*Line Editing for 2 books per month     $45
*Line Editing for 3 books per month     $60

She's proofed 3 books for me, and these were not short books. Yet each one was done in a week's time, and errors were caught. I am phenomenally pleased with the results.

Spelling errors, missing punctuation, quotations, and duplicate words or sentences, the things your average reader is likely to pick up on and care about, are all things Roxana caught when I sent my books her way!

This is a fantastic service. Just got my manuscript back very quickly and with a very thorough proofread completed on it.

Thank you Roxana!

Roxana did my novella for me! She was quicker than I expected, and caught a bunch of mistakes I haven't seen through my revisions <3

This is an outstanding value. I received my manuscript back six days after I sent it.

I'm only 1/4 of a way through the manuscript, but I've found numerous corrections that were spot on, and have made my book better.

Coming out of lurker mode to add my recommendation to Roxana. I used her proofreading services, and she exceeded my expectations. If I had to leave a grade, this would be a solid A from a tough grader.

First, whoever proofread my book wasn't looking out only for typos, it also included other suggestions. I'd say that this is definitely more Proofreading on Steroids than straight proofreading. Second, the turn around time is brilliant. It's speedy and yet I wouldn't say that the work suffers for the speed.

Not only would I recommend this service to others, but I plan on continuing to use her proofreading services for future projects.

My second book has been proofread 4 times already. I sent her 75% of the book as a test (approx 60k words). I did make a few upgrades so I figured I'd give her a try. I purchased the $15 package for proofreading. She found 15 legitimate errors and 2 errors that were more preference and could be read either way. None would be easy for a program to find (at least in my opinion). So I am forced to give her a thumbs up!  ;D I'm not a newbie and have been on the kboards for over a year.

Great job. I'm not sure how she's doing it for such a low price, but so far things look good for her company.

Used their service for proofreading a novella. I gave them a super short deadline and they more than delivered. Was 2 or 3 days I received my manuscript back. Definitely happy with the quick turn around that kept me on schedule. Thank you!

I sent out my 75,000 word novel for a proofread and received it back 3 days later. Around a dozen errors were found, mostly issues that spell check would not have found. I'm incredibly satisfied. I'll definitely use them again!

I am a longtime lurker but thought it might be useful to post my experience with Ebook Proofreading. I sent my file, a 96,000 word novel (hey, it said all books, right?) and got a quick reply that my file was received, so I paid with PayPal, and just a point of order here--it's 30 euro, not 30 dollars, so it cost approx $36. I got my book back today, a quick 5-day turnaround and was pleasantly surprised. She did what she said she would, efficiently, and with good cheer, so now I am dusting off some other projects to submit for proofreading. I am so pleased to have this obstacle behind me. Cheers to Roxana . . .

Roxana did one of my books for me. I am very pleased. The manuscript was returned ahead of schedule, and her work was most professional. I will use her service again. Thank you, Roxana.

Just chiming in to say that I'm trying things out, too. For $15, there's very little to lose and it's better than asking my English teacher friend for a favor. I don't expect to get feedback about how I should go back to writing literary short stories all the time.

I sent in work last week, and it was done two days early. I am going through the corrections now, and I'm pleased with the work.

I sent in one of my books and it turned out great. My 60k MS only took 3 days, and they found nearly 300 errors! I'm going to send another book. Thank you for this service.   :)

Sent two stories that had previously been proofread. Got them back in three days and I'm very satisfied. It's always good to have an extra pair of eyes.

Roxana proofread my novella and only took a few days. Very happy with the results and will definitely be using this service again.

I handed in a 110k novel. It was supposed to take 7 days. I got it back after 4 and I'm very pleased with the result. I will definitely use this service again. In fact, I just bought the 3-book package.   ;D

-missing articles
-missing conjunctions

I noticed she did not find any issues with my dialog/quotation mark punctuation. Other editors have nitpicked that in my previous books. I'm not sure if I have simply altered my style to reflect this or if she used a different standard. Going over it now, I'm inclined to think that it's me and not her, though.

Bottom line?
It it is well worth fifteen or thirty, or even a hundred dollars. Fastest and easiest draft clean-up I've ever seen. If you have a good manuscript that needs a cleaning? I absolutely recommend her.

I decided on the 3-book, $45.00 deal. First manuscript came back several days ahead of schedule. Very satisfied with the proofed work!

Just chiming in to say that Roxana got it done and back to me in a little under three days, and it looks good. I plan to send the next two books her way.

Just popping in to say really pleased with the proofread, I like to think my manuscript was pretty clean but Roxanna picked up some mistakes including some wonky pronouns and a fair few random commas.  Quick and professional, definitely worth the fee.

Roxana is amazing! I sent her a 50K manuscript and she had it back to me within 3 days. The manuscript is clear of all typos and she even caught some awkward phrasing. I completely recommend this service and suggest you take her up on her $15 limited offer because she should *definitely* be charging more! ;D

Roxana rocks! She returned my 60K manuscript within 3 days, catching simple typos and some grammatical gaffs of mine. Quick and efficient, couldn't ask for more. And at these introductory rates, it's a huge bargain! I'll definitely be repeat customer.

Just chipping in to say I've just used Roxana's service for two books and I'm very pleased. Very quick and efficient service - will be using again!

Thank you, Roxana!

There's nothing like another proof read, especially when I go back for a tinker with the story. You give excellent value. I recommend your service.

Good service! There weren't many problems in my books - about fifteen in each. I'm pleased. I should mention that I did proofread both books very thoroughly before submitting them, so I wasn't expecting many errors.

I did sent my manuscripts. All of them. 32!  :P Already proofread. And she still found quite a few mistakes.  :o  I completely recommend this service.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 04:16:32 AM by Ebook Proofreading »
Flat rate per book:
proofreadebooks.com

Offline Nikolas TorVald

• View Profile
Re: Proofreading & Line Editing Service (between $10 and $50 per book!)
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2018, 01:40:53 PM »
Interested to see what people say. Good luck with your business.

Offline Dean Kutzler

• Philadelphia
  • Holy Space Opera - The Scarab Reign's Coming!
    • View Profile
    • Philadelphia's Thriller Author Dean Kutzler
Re: Proofreading & Line Editing Service (Prices start at $10 per book!) UPDATED
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2018, 07:19:52 AM »
I just signed up on Patreon for the $45 line edits on 2 books in 7 days! I'm looking forward to reporting back here with good news!

We all know how difficult editing your own work in any capacity can be and offering this service at such a great price is most appreciated! Like many above have said, $45 is crazy! So, it's worth a try, right?

See you all in a week!
Space Opera Trilogy: 29%

Valentine\'s Day Surprise, A Roman Mystery: 80%

Jack Elliot Series Book 3: 0%
Holy Space Opera - The Scarab Reign is Coming! Grab Your Batteries And Hide!
Dean Kutzler | Website | Blog | Reader's Group | Facebook | Twitter | Google Plus | Goodreads

• View Profile
Re: Proofreading & Line Editing Service (Prices start at $10 per book!) UPDATED
« Reply #155 on: January 15, 2018, 07:04:58 AM »

Thank you Roxana!

Order or Pre-Order:

Order now:

Follow the 2 steps above to order before the price changes. My team is waiting! 😊

Delivery time:

7 Days

OR

NEW

Prices start at $10

If you don't use your proofreading or editing slots one month, you can add them to the next months.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 04:17:09 AM by Ebook Proofreading »
Flat rate per book:
proofreadebooks.com

• View Profile
Re: Proofreading & Line Editing Service (Prices start at $10 per book!) LIMITED
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »

Thank you Roxana!

-missing articles
-missing conjunctions

Bottom line?

Thank you, Roxana!

I did sent my manuscripts. All of them. 32!  :P Already proofread. And she still found quite a few mistakes.  :o  I completely recommend this service.

Available for orders! :)

Order or Pre-Order:

Order now:

Follow the 2 steps above to order. My team is waiting! 😊

Delivery time:

7 Days

OR

NEW

Prices start at $10

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 04:17:43 AM by Ebook Proofreading »
Flat rate per book:
proofreadebooks.com

Offline Dean Kutzler

• Philadelphia
    • View Profile
UPDATE:

Sorry it took me a bit to get back here. I've been hella-busy writing my space opera series. Unfortunately, I don't have good news and have to be negative...but.

Since I'm so busy, I only had time to skim through the edits. With just that light pass, I did not feel the service was worth it, even at the cheap price--which I am seeing it has been raised considerably probably due to an influx of clients.

I didn't feel comfortable posting what I thought - did I mention I hate negativity? So, in all fairness, I had an editor friend who had some time on their hands look it over for me.

I will share just the facts.

The book/edits were passed through both a program and the editors eyes, revealing mistakes and inconsistencies that were missed, along with some of the editing content my friend did not agree with. Any line editor should have picked up much more than what was found.

I appreciate the cheap service (we all know what good editing costs and that is for a reason) and understand that everyone needs to make a living, but not at the expense of others trying to make a living.

But both I & my friend feel that other writers that are just starting out should not fall into this trap. A couple beta readers could have done better, and they do it for the love of reading-zestfully. (Sorry, couldn't resist the silly word.) I will not be using this service again. Once my $45 fee for the 2-books-edited-a-month award has been collected on Patreon, I will cancel the service.

I wish Roxanne & her team all the best and ask that they do better in the future, even if that means charging more.

So, please remember: You get what you pay for.

Dean Kutzler | Website | Blog | Reader's Group | Facebook | Twitter | Google Plus | Goodreads

• View Profile

Thank you Roxana!

-missing articles
-missing conjunctions

Bottom line?

Thank you, Roxana!

I am taking orders and pre-orders. Please check the OP for updates.

Order or Pre-Order:

Order now:

Follow the 2 steps above to order. My team is waiting! 😊

Delivery time:

7 Days

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 03:30:34 AM by Ebook Proofreading »
Flat rate per book:
proofreadebooks.com

Offline Danawilliam

• View Profile
I am looking for a blurb writer. Do you still offer this service?

• View Profile
The blurb service is not available. We have a special offer on proofreading and line editing:

Order now:

Delivery time:

7 Days
Flat rate per book:
proofreadebooks.com

Online DMChappellAuthor

• View Profile
Review of Line Editing services from eBook Proofreading
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2018, 07:56:56 AM »
I recently utilized the line editing services offered by Roxanas company.  This review will be rather long, just because I want to be fair to all parties.  As far as Roxana goes, she has communicated well, was friendly, and was helpful in getting the payment done. So, for customer service, they would get an A. The project was also done quickly, with a 4.5-day turnaround. So, for the turnaround, they would get an A. Now on to the editing service itself, for which they would get a C- (on my manuscript) and an F (on another manuscript I will mention later on)

First and foremost, my understanding of editing is there are three types: proofread, copy edit, and line edit. In addition, this is what I understand the definition of those edits to be:

Proofread This is the most basic editing and is used for final drafts to catch small mistakes before publishing.
   Corrects spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax
   Ensures consistency in spelling, hyphenation, numerals, fonts, and capitalization

Copy Edit Medium level editing that focuses on grammar/punctuation consistency and accuracy.
   Ensures consistency in spelling, hyphenation, numerals, fonts, and capitalization
   Flags ambiguous or factually incorrect statements (especially important for non-fiction)
   Tracks macro concerns like internal consistency.

Line Edit High-level editing that focuses on line-by-line editing. This line editing should tell the author the following:
   Words or sentences that are extraneous or overused
   Run-on sentences
   Redundancies from repeating the same information in different ways
   Dialogue or paragraphs that can be tightened
   Scenes where the action is confusing or the authors meaning is unclear due to bad transitions
   Tonal shifts and unnatural phrasing
   Passages that dont read well due to bland language use
   Confusing narrative digressions
   Changes that can be made to improve the pacing of a passage
   Words or phrases that may clarify or enhance your meaning.

I am fully aware this service is extremely less expensive than the same service with any other company (almost questionable in price).  But, it was also my understanding this is a start-up and they are trying to get their feet wet and gain traction.  However, given that knowledge, I had expected more.  In reality, I do not believe these are professional editors starting out.  They are more likely hobby proofreaders.

I can say with 100% certainty that the line edit service offered is actually a copy edit, if that.  I do also know that normally, the line edit is done first. My manuscript was most definitely past that stage, but I knew I needed a tad more than a proofread.  Since copy edit wasnt offered I went with the line edit thinking it was a copy edit/line edit mix (based on their description):

"Line editors will go over each sentence to make sure it is ready for publication. They check for grammar, punctuation, spelling, consistency and word usage. Line editors can often assist with rewriting/rewording sections that need help."

I figured if there were any major issues I had not realized were there, they would get pointed out.

Either there were none, or they didnt point them out.  What I received was a proofread +.  A few grammar items were picked up and a few lines were re-written for better reading.  However, afterward, I did another run through myself and found several small errors that should have been caught. (Ex: Perspective that s/b Prospective.  Between that s/b Amongst. And a few missing commas and inappropriate uppercase letters).

Luckily for me, Roxana had honored her $50 price, instead of her newly updated $100 price (at that time).  If I had paid $100 for what I received I would have been kicking myself, HARD!

I also want to say that while my project was in the works, I saw the most recent posting from Mr. Kutzler.  He had also selected to have a line edit performed and had posted a follow-up review of the results. I was very curious to speak with him about his review based on what it said.  I asked him if I could see a sample of what he was saying about his manuscript, so he sent a few chapters over.

After reviewing the small sample, I knew three things: his manuscript was line edit worthy, even after the edit was completed it still had a large amount of structural and a fair amount of basic grammatical errors, and I agreed with every word of his review.

His manuscript had minimal grammar corrections (some of which his editor rightly disagreed with), and only a couple more suggestions to make lines better for reading.  There was no assistance at all at a high level regarding inconsistencies, confusing dialogue, so on and so forth (nothing that would make his manuscript "ready for publication.") What I saw proved to me the editor of his work had basic level skills at that.

Lets just say Mr. Kutzler was kinder than I would have been if I had gotten the result he did.  Granted, he did only pay a measly $45 to line edit two books a month.  So, based on that information... he got what he paid for.

I would only recommend this service to those who are searching for a proofread, and I wouldnt pay any more than the $10(proofread)/$30 (copy edit) limited time special they just changed their pricing too.

The only reason I am reviewing is because, like Dean stated, other writers that are just starting out should not fall into this trap. A couple beta readers could have done better

I wish Roxana and her team the best of luck and I hope they listen to the constructive feedback being given, try to do better with the edits they do, be more honest about the skill level and qualifications of those doing the editing, and dont just try to cover up this review with two pages worth of a re-post showing good reviews (which are mostly relevant to the lesser expensive proofread.)

Bullet points provided by https://nybookeditors.com/2015/01/copyediting-vs-line-editing/
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:57:17 AM by DMChappellAuthor »

• View Profile
Update January 30, 2018

Order now:

Delivery time:

7 Days

Thank you Roxana!

-missing articles
-missing conjunctions

Bottom line?

Thank you, Roxana!

Update January 30, 2018

This is a limited offer. The price will change tomorrow. You can order or pre-order:

Order now:

Flat rate per book:
proofreadebooks.com

Offline Moe D

• Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Review of Line Editing services from eBook Proofreading
« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2018, 11:12:10 AM »
I recently utilized the line editing services offered by Roxanas company.  This review will be rather long, just because I want to be fair to all parties.  As far as Roxana goes, she has communicated well, was friendly, and was helpful in getting the payment done. So, for customer service, they would get an A. The project was also done quickly, with a 4.5-day turnaround. So, for the turnaround, they would get an A. Now on to the editing service itself, for which they would get a C- (on my manuscript) and an F (on another manuscript I will mention later on)

First and foremost, my understanding of editing is there are three types: proofread, copy edit, and line edit. In addition, this is what I understand the definition of those edits to be:

Proofread This is the most basic editing and is used for final drafts to catch small mistakes before publishing.

Copy Edit Medium level editing that focuses on grammar/punctuation consistency and accuracy.
   Flags ambiguous or factually incorrect statements (especially important for non-fiction)
   Tracks macro concerns like internal consistency.

Line Edit High-level editing that focuses on line-by-line editing. This line editing should tell the author the following:
   Words or sentences that are extraneous or overused
   Run-on sentences
   Redundancies from repeating the same information in different ways
   Dialogue or paragraphs that can be tightened
   Scenes where the action is confusing or the authors meaning is unclear due to bad transitions
   Tonal shifts and unnatural phrasing
   Passages that dont read well due to bland language use
   Confusing narrative digressions
   Changes that can be made to improve the pacing of a passage
   Words or phrases that may clarify or enhance your meaning.

I am fully aware this service is extremely less expensive than the same service with any other company (almost questionable in price).  But, it was also my understanding this is a start-up and they are trying to get their feet wet and gain traction.  However, given that knowledge, I had expected more.  In reality, I do not believe these are professional editors starting out.  They are more likely hobby proofreaders.

I can say with 100% certainty that the line edit service offered is actually a copy edit, if that.  I do also know that normally, the line edit is done first. My manuscript was most definitely past that stage, but I knew I needed a tad more than a proofread.  Since copy edit wasnt offered I went with the line edit thinking it was a copy edit/line edit mix (based on their description):

"Line editors will go over each sentence to make sure it is ready for publication. They check for grammar, punctuation, spelling, consistency and word usage. Line editors can often assist with rewriting/rewording sections that need help."

I figured if there were any major issues I had not realized were there, they would get pointed out.

Either there were none, or they didnt point them out.  What I received was a proofread +.  A few grammar items were picked up and a few lines were re-written for better reading.  However, afterward, I did another run through myself and found several small errors that should have been caught. (Ex: Perspective that s/b Prospective.  Between that s/b Amongst. And a few missing commas and inappropriate uppercase letters).

Luckily for me, Roxana had honored her $50 price, instead of her newly updated $100 price (at that time).  If I had paid $100 for what I received I would have been kicking myself, HARD!

I also want to say that while my project was in the works, I saw the most recent posting from Mr. Kutzler.  He had also selected to have a line edit performed and had posted a follow-up review of the results. I was very curious to speak with him about his review based on what it said.  I asked him if I could see a sample of what he was saying about his manuscript, so he sent a few chapters over.

After reviewing the small sample, I knew three things: his manuscript was line edit worthy, even after the edit was completed it still had a large amount of structural and a fair amount of basic grammatical errors, and I agreed with every word of his review.

His manuscript had minimal grammar corrections (some of which his editor rightly disagreed with), and only a couple more suggestions to make lines better for reading.  There was no assistance at all at a high level regarding inconsistencies, confusing dialogue, so on and so forth (nothing that would make his manuscript "ready for publication.") What I saw proved to me the editor of his work had basic level skills at that.

Lets just say Mr. Kutzler was kinder than I would have been if I had gotten the result he did.  Granted, he did only pay a measly $45 to line edit two books a month.  So, based on that information... he got what he paid for.

I would only recommend this service to those who are searching for a proofread, and I wouldnt pay any more than the $10(proofread)/$30 (copy edit) limited time special they just changed their pricing too.

The only reason I am reviewing is because, like Dean stated, other writers that are just starting out should not fall into this trap. A couple beta readers could have done better

I wish Roxana and her team the best of luck and I hope they listen to the constructive feedback being given, try to do better with the edits they do, be more honest about the skill level and qualifications of those doing the editing, and dont just try to cover up this review with two pages worth of a re-post showing good reviews (which are mostly relevant to the lesser expensive proofread.)

Bullet points provided by https://nybookeditors.com/2015/01/copyediting-vs-line-editing/

It seems what you predicted came to fruition. It would be nice if Roxana addressed these issues head on. I've asked in the past what the credentials of her people were and was ignored and dismissed by other posters here. I've also received messages from unhappy clients of Roxana who will never work with her again and warned me to stay away. Dealing with unhappy clients is part of running a good business. Ignoring them is bad.

• View Profile
Update January 30, 2018

Order now:

Delivery time:

7 Days

Thank you Roxana!

-missing articles
-missing conjunctions

Bottom line?

Thank you, Roxana!

Update January 30, 2018

Order now:

Flat rate per book:
proofreadebooks.com

Offline Moe D

• Canada
    • View Profile
According to forum decorum, your response is not a response to me. And the way I read the rules, it's a back to back response.

Would you like to respond to me and others?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:34:10 PM by Moe D »

• View Profile
Update January 30, 2018

Proofreading ----> $30 flat rate per book

Order now:

Delivery time:

7 Days

Thank you Roxana!

-missing articles
-missing conjunctions

Bottom line?

Thank you, Roxana!

Update January 30, 2018

Proofreading ----> $30 flat rate per book

Order now:

Thank you all for the positive and also for the constructive feedback.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 03:19:10 PM by Ebook Proofreading »
Flat rate per book:
proofreadebooks.com

Offline BGArcher

• View Profile
Just to clarify, if I pre ordered a few books to proof I can send them in a few weeks if I'm not ready now correct?

Online DMChappellAuthor

• View Profile
Re: Review of Line Editing services from eBook Proofreading
« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2018, 02:21:44 PM »
It seems what you predicted came to fruition. It would be nice if Roxana addressed these issues head on. I've asked in the past what the credentials of her people were and was ignored and dismissed by other posters here. I've also received messages from unhappy clients of Roxana who will never work with her again and warned me to stay away. Dealing with unhappy clients is part of running a good business. Ignoring them is bad.

Yes, it appears so.  If they were just honest, I am sure they would still get business from those who truly have polished pieces needing another look over.  For $15 that is reasonable.  Roxana is very good at initial customer service. I know several people have now turned her into the moderator, not sure how long her post will last.  All other companies seem to be re-directed to use a different page if I recall correctly?

• View Profile
Just to clarify, if I pre ordered a few books to proof I can send them in a few weeks if I'm not ready now correct?

Yes, you can pre-order if your books are not ready for proofreading.
Flat rate per book:
proofreadebooks.com

Offline Danawilliam

• View Profile
The blurb service is not available. We have a special offer on proofreading and line editing:

Ah, that's too bad. If you can recommend a good blurb writing service please let me know.

Offline Dean Kutzler

• Philadelphia
    • View Profile
Ah, that's too bad. If you can recommend a good blurb writing service please let me know.

Brian Cohen is excellent at blurbs. You may find a few free webinars floating around out there, but he is pretty reasonably priced. Do check him out. ;)

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
According to forum decorum, your response is not a response to me. And the way I read the rules, it's a back to back response.

Would you like to respond to me and others?

Yes, it appears so.  If they were just honest, I am sure they would still get business from those who truly have polished pieces needing another look over.  For $15 that is reasonable.  Roxana is very good at initial customer service. I know several people have now turned her into the moderator, not sure how long her post will last.  All other companies seem to be re-directed to use a different page if I recall correctly?

Just to clarify, Ebook Proofreading is permitted to ignore criticisms of and questions about their business, if they choose to do so. Our frequency-of-posting rules for vendor threads disallow back-to-back posts by the vendor so that vendor threads don't dominate the forum's front page. But treating a customer's critical/questioning post as an opportunity to insert a self-promotional post that does not address the customer's criticisms/questions is not against the letter of our rules, as currently formulated. This is my understanding, at any rate.

If I haven't understood the issue here, please drop me a PM.

Online DMChappellAuthor

• View Profile
Just to clarify, Ebook Proofreading is permitted to ignore criticisms of and questions about their business, if they choose to do so. Our frequency-of-posting rules for vendor threads disallow back-to-back posts by the vendor so that vendor threads don't dominate the forum's front page. But treating a customer's critical/questioning post as an opportunity to insert a self-promotional post that does not address the customer's criticisms/questions is not against the letter of our rules, as currently formulated. This is my understanding, at any rate.

If I haven't understood the issue here, please drop me a PM.

I didn't realize it was back-to-back.  I guess I just saw "every other" as domination (especially with the length that their re-post is).  The reviews get lost in the mix.  I wanted to ensure that people knew what they are getting if the used her service.  We appreciate the work you do as moderators!

Offline Danawilliam

• View Profile
Brian Cohen is excellent at blurbs. You may find a few free webinars floating around out there, but he is pretty reasonably priced. Do check him out. ;)

Thanks!