Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Printing a Paperback Over 830 Pages?  (Read 601 times)  

Online Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
Printing a Paperback Over 830 Pages?
« on: October 11, 2017, 05:51:18 PM »
Createspace/KDP Print both limit your paperback to around 830 pages (828 on KDP print, maybe 840 (?) on Createspace if you use white paper). I have a collection of three novels and stories that totals over 1000 (988 if I print it at 6 x 9). Since I'm using Vellum, I don't have the option of just making the book's trim huge (the max trim you can make it right now is 6 x 9). Thus, what printer can I use that will accept books over 1000 pages? I'm thinking it might not even be worth the hassle - and that it would be easier to just remove some of the stories to get it under the 830 page limit - but I'd like to explore some alternatives before I go down that road.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Nick

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
Re: Printing a Paperback Over 830 Pages?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 05:58:19 PM »
This becomes more a limitation of the binding able to hold that many pages. I doubt a POD printer has that capacity.

Offline Dragovian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 07:35:13 PM »
According to this post at Fiction University, Lightning Source can create a shrinkwrapped bundled of individual books to sell as a set, rather than trying to make an unwieldy omnibus edition.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:37:59 PM by Dragovian »

Online dcswain

• View Profile
    • Author Website:
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:39:04 PM »
Ingramspark has an upper limit of 1050 pages for a 6x9 paperback. Plus they are waiving the set up fee until the end of November if you use the code INDIEFRINGE2017  :)

DC Swain | Author Website

Online Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:56:02 PM »
Thanks everyone. The shrink-wrapped option is interesting for future projects (I don't have individual print covers). Will have to look into Ingramspark again.

Nick

Offline Kate.

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:58:34 PM »
Do you think the book would still be comfortable to read? Trad publishers put out some doorstoppers, but they're usually printed with thin, light paper. I've found Createspace's pages are pretty dense. If a book weighs a kilo or more I'd worry about how ergonomic it would be, especially for people who like to read in bed.

Offline Sleeping Cat Books

• Helping you reach your publishing goals since 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sleeping Cat Books
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 11:38:28 PM »
The shrink-wrapped option is interesting for future projects (I don't have individual print covers). Will have to look into Ingramspark again.
FYI, IngramSpark does not offer boxed sets. Lightning Source (its big sister) does, but they do not open accounts for indie publishers with fewer than something like 30 previous titles in their catalogue.
Providing editing and book design services to independent authors
Sarah Holroyd | Sleeping Cat Books | Sleeping Cat Press | discussion

Online Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 11:44:19 PM »
Do you think the book would still be comfortable to read? Trad publishers put out some doorstoppers, but they're usually printed with thin, light paper. I've found Createspace's pages are pretty dense. If a book weighs a kilo or more I'd worry about how ergonomic it would be, especially for people who like to read in bed.

Definitely a concern. I wanted to order a draft copy to see how it would feel, but Createspace won't allow that until it meets the correct length requirements. It might be unwieldy even at 828, anyway. I'm not a fan of huge volumes (had some anthologies for English classes which weren't great), but there aren't a whole lot of options available to us as indies. I'd prefer to do a nice slipcase box, but that's probably a few years off from being an option, although I'm sure someone will eventually offer the capability.

FYI, IngramSpark does not offer boxed sets. Lightning Source (its big sister) does, but they do not open accounts for indie publishers with fewer than something like 30 previous titles in their catalogue.

I have over 30 titles, so that won't be a problem, but that's still good to know. Probably wouldn't bother to transfer them all over to Lightning Source, though, just to publish a shrink-wrapped set. 

Nick

Offline EllieDee

• Drifting around Europe
  • Dreaming about the future...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 12:28:24 AM »
I'd prefer to do a nice slipcase box, but that's probably a few years off from being an option, although I'm sure someone will eventually offer the capability.

I can't wait for that day.  Next step, bugging my favorite indie authors to set up the boxes and sell me one   :)