Author Topic: Cover critics  (Read 831 times)  

Offline Scholarwrites

• View Profile
Cover critics
« on: October 11, 2017, 06:47:25 PM »
Please, what do you make of my cover? Should I create another entirely? <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s558.photobucket.com/user/Chiomaosifo/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:33:04 PM by Scholarwrites »

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
Re: Cover critics
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 06:54:48 PM »
You'll need to post your cover here or at least a link to it if it is elsewhere. :)

It's easier on people here viewing it if you post one version of your cover full-size and one in thumbnail size. Just a suggestion.

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline Scholarwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 07:34:17 PM »
Sorry guys. Been trying to figure out how to post a picture here.

Online Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »
Sorry guys. Been trying to figure out how to post a picture here.

ETA: @ Scholarwrites - if you want your cover image to display in this thread, post it to imgur.com and include the link. Photobucket is a poor option these days.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:37:57 AM by Anarchist »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Scholarwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 07:44:55 PM »
You'll need to post your cover here or at least a link to it if it is elsewhere. :)

Don't I know it 😂. Had to google it
It's easier on people here viewing it if you post one version of your cover full-size and one in thumbnail size. Just a suggestion.
Ermm, that's outside my skill range too

Offline Scholarwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 07:47:08 PM »

I think I understand how you did this, thanks

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 07:49:23 PM »
LOL.. I feel your pain, it took me awhile. I went to imagur, uploaded the picture clicked on it, and to the side of the opened view it has a link for forums that starts with
[img 'whatever'

(I can't do the second img or it tries to post something ...)

copy that link and paste it where you want it .. you can also resize it with 'edit' which helps!

Good luck  ;)

BTW - I suck at this but I like the cover except the placement of the title in the middle (and the middle font).. the ones who actually KNOW what they are talking about will help more however! ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:57:10 PM by Pandorra »
Dean Rencraft | Website

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 07:53:29 PM »
What's the genre? It's hard to offer crit without knowing what kind of book it is.

Online scaler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 07:55:06 PM »
LOL.. I feel your pain, it took me awhile. I went to imagur, uploaded the picture clicked on it, and to the side of the opened view it has a link for forums that starts with
[img 'whatever'

(I can't do the second img or it tries to post something ...)

copy that link and paste it where you want it ..

Good luck  ;)

you can use the nobbc code for this:

[nobbc]code here[/nobbc]

To the OP, usually on picture hosting websites there will be a link you can copy dedicated to forums. You can also right click the image and press "copy image address" and then paste in between these two code blocks: [img][/img]

Offline Scholarwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 08:01:22 PM »
What's the genre? It's hard to offer crit without knowing what kind of book it is.
Romance. I don't like it, but wanted to hear from others. Especially what needs to change

Online Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 08:03:58 PM »
I'm not crazy about it. It's dark and a little off-kilter. The images also seem a little low-res. The main image of the woman could work with a different arrangement, assuming this is historical romance.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Scholarwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 08:21:51 PM »
I'm not crazy about it. It's dark and a little off-kilter. The images also seem a little low-res. The main image of the woman could work with a different arrangement, assuming this is historical romance.
thanks

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 08:38:24 PM »
That back couple looks modern while the woman in front looks historical. I also don't like the title font or the location of the title. I like the concept of the front woman and the sunset clouds thing going on, but the couple in back needs changed out unless this is modern romance? Maybe just center the front woman and ditch the back couple?

Offline RBN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 03:53:58 AM »
I'm getting the historical/contemporary dissonance from the two images, too.

I like the image of the redhead, but it has a fleeing vibe, which doesn't convey "this is a romance novel." More like gothic horror.

Use the same font for your name and the series.

I don't like the title font (too heavy) or placement, but until the images are nailed down, typography is hard to do.

Offline michaelsnuckols

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 04:54:13 AM »
I have no idea if this fits your niche in the romance genre -- but I absolutely love this cover and would click through to learn more about the book. Very nice. (Note -- I love horror and gothic imagery and don't read romance. So I'm probably not your target audience, for what its worth).

I might tweak the title font a little as its a little flat. There is also a lot of space at the bottom that seems empty.  Maybe a tag line there? Or tag-line at the top and author at the bottom?

Michael S. Nuckols | Webpage

Offline evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 05:11:06 AM »
I'll be honest.  I followed the link so I'm hoping that's the book we're talking about.

I really don't like it.  I'm a romance reader and to me that does not say romance at all.  The 'historical' woman looks like (at first glance) about to be struck down, but she may be praying. Either way, it's not romance to me at all.

The font is pretty awful. Bland and not positioned well.

I don't know why there's a couple in the background. It looks like two images have been over laid and one has been faded out; I don't know if theyre on a beach or in the sky!

I have spent 9 months learning covers so I can do them myself. It's been hard work.  My suggestion. Go and look in the genre you're writing for. Don't just look at the top 100, keep searching through. Look through the also boughts of the books, see what people are clicking on.
Look at websites of premade covers, even if you can't afford one.  See what the designers are making because they will be trying to stay on trend.
Get some better fonts. Make them stand out without being just a white text overlay.

Please dont' take me as being rude or harsh, these are just things that I've done to learn how to do my covers.

E. V. Darcy | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Offline Scholarwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 06:48:51 AM »
I really appreciate all your comments. I have looked through the top 100 and I see the difference.

From your comments in will change the title font to match the author name

Offline Scholarwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 07:01:27 AM »
Putting up these images have been a trial for me.

Offline Scholarwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 07:08:43 AM »
Putting up these images have been a trial for me.

I'm still not feeling these covers. What do you think? Should I go with a premade?

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 07:43:43 AM »

Made em smaller :) I like the effect on these.

Offline evdarcy

• Cheshire, UK
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 07:45:57 AM »
Definitely an improvement, still not sure what the story is about, I think the people need to be a clearly and the colours not as strong.  Also that horizon needs to actually be horizontal!   ;D

E. V. Darcy | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Blog

Online Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 09:14:14 AM »
I would consider a pre-made. The latest beachy ones look like steamy contemporary romance and the last gothic historical romance.

What kind of book is it?

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Scholarwrites

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 10:52:50 AM »
I would consider a pre-made. The latest beachy ones look like steamy contemporary romance and the last gothic historical romance.

What kind of book is it?
A contemporary romance

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 02:07:20 PM »
The bright colors of the new one do a better job of communicating steamy, contemporary beachy romance.

If it's not a beachy one, you'll want to change the background. If it's not steamy, I'd suggest using a couple that aren't in a clinch and/or half-dressed.

Overall, I concur with Monique and evdarcy. Try a premade or at least make evdarcy's suggested changes. The couple with their heads cut off doesn't work as well as the more intact couple, and their forms are so light I can't tell what the headless couple is in the thumbnail when I glance at it. Both couples look strange with bands of their bodies missing.

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline michaelsnuckols

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 03:22:13 PM »
A contemporary romance

Oh gosh! Yes, that cover would have been completely wrong for a contemporary romance.  I also assumed that you were posting a first draft of the image subject to further editing.

I agree with the recommendation to go with a pre-made. There are many good choices out there and it should be easy to find something to fit.

Michael S. Nuckols | Webpage