Author Topic: Where did this author go?  (Read 1680 times)  

Offline Itsro

• View Profile
Where did this author go?
« on: October 11, 2017, 10:00:24 PM »
Anyone know where author, Ivy Sinclair went? I just finished watching SPRT episode 137 with her and J.J. She seemed to have hit her prolific stride, but when I visited her author page on Amazon to check her progress, it showed she hasn't published since July 2016.

What gives? Think she quit, or maybe a new pen name?

Just curious.

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
Re: Where did this author go?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:03:31 PM »
She's still there. :D http://www.ivysinclair.com/
Dean Rencraft | Website

Online Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:26:14 PM »
Last blog post is from a year ago, though. 
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v               vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 06:12:00 AM »
Not everyone can keep publishing at the same rate and for a variety of reasons. My last published work, not including a boxed set I put together recently, was October of 2016. After more than a year, I'll publish my next on in November. Sometimes life does that to you. The business part of what we do can be grueling and confusing so perhaps some time off is warranted and earned for any of us feeling that it is needed. Hoping for the best always. :)

Offline wilsonharp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 06:21:03 AM »
My last book came out in March of 2016. I've had to go back to full time employment as I am working on getting the next book out.

What happened?

In April of 2016, I started working on the visa process to get my fiance to the U.S. She arrived in late August 2016, we got married in October 2016, I started back to full time work in December 2016 after we found out she was pregnant, and we had a baby in early August 2017. It's been kind of a crazy last year and a half.

Life happens, publishing gets delayed. Doesn't mean it's a permanent disappearance.

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 06:27:27 AM »
People get sick, sometimes very sick. People suddenly have to spend all of their time looking after a sick/old family member. People get hurt or die in accidents. People live somewhere where there was a natural disaster and lose everything.

Sadly, I could go on and on. There are all kinds of reasons why someone might stop writing.

Offline WHDean

• Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 07:37:28 AM »
This should be a sticky thread that can be cited every time someone posts on how to make it by publishing 100k/month for the next 20 years.

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 07:46:29 AM »
I decided to write a trilogy and get it edited in one go in order to make the whole thing consistent. My long time editor's had life keep hitting. I'm now 10 months behind, but as she's been the editor for all my Endhaven books, she knows the world like nobody else. She catches stuff.

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline Sarah Shaw

• Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 07:49:59 AM »
This should be a sticky thread that can be cited every time someone posts on how to make it by publishing 100k/month for the next 20 years.

You're right about that! I think all of us who are older have to laugh a bit at 'plans' that assume perfect health, unlimited energy and generally smooth sailing over many decades. Not that it doesn't happen for some people, but like having a JK Rowling level of success, best not to count on it! :D

Offline Ahmad_Ardalan

• United Arab Emirates
  • Do not wait for the tide to take you, my boy."
    • View Profile
    • Author Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 08:16:16 AM »
Publishing at a fast rate... Some can, some can't, easy as that.

I published my last book "Baghdad: The Final Gathering" October last year. My new novella "The Boy of The Mosque" will come out in December. Then I plan to rest for a few years, maybe more. I work and travel a lot, business and leisure, learning more about cultures all over the world, it might lead to new ideas, a new book. You never know.
BTW, my coming book was inspired by a painting!

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 08:59:17 AM »
It's entirely possible that she's writing under a new pen name or that she's taking time to write a series of books before releasing all at once.

Or, as other posters suggested, Life Happens.

Why not sign up for her mailing list so you will be notified when her next book(s) are out?

Diana Persaud | My Website

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 09:38:17 AM »
I didn't publish between April 2015 and December 2016. During that time, I completed three novels, two of which I still haven't published.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline crow.bar.beer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 10:11:30 AM »

An author stops publishing under a name for an extended period of time for no known reason and it's something to be cited?  ::) Might as well bring it up when discussing why Bookbub rejects some books and not others, because relevance can apparently mean anything.

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »
Anyone know where author, Ivy Sinclair went? I just finished watching SPRT episode 137 with her and J.J. She seemed to have hit her prolific stride, but when I visited her author page on Amazon to check her progress, it showed she hasn't published since July 2016.

What gives? Think she quit, or maybe a new pen name?

Just curious.

Wow, blast from the past. I haven't been called JJ since high school...

Offline TiffanyTurner

• Silicon Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Tiffany Turner's Crystal Keeper Chronicles
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 12:32:26 PM »
She could have had some health problems like me that would delay an upcoming book. I had a heart attack and have cardiomyopathy now, and have spent the last two years getting better. I'm almost done with the last book in the series though. I got a one star on my third book, because I hadn't finished the series yet. SO, I made sure I put up on my blog that I'd gotten sick, and that was the reasons the fourth book is delayed. I've been keeping it updated with my writing progress all year.

So, maybe she is just sick or needed a break from writing to sort some life issues. It happens.
The Lost Secret of Fairies
The Lost Secret of the Green Man
$0.99-$2.99 on Kindle
New Kindle Release:
The Lost Secret of Dragonfire
$3.99
Children's Adventure/Fantasy series
www.tiffany-turner.com
Blog: http://crystalkeeper.wordpress.com

Offline WHDean

• Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 12:32:53 PM »
An author stops publishing under a name for an extended period of time for no known reason and it's something to be cited?  ::) Might as well bring it up when discussing why Bookbub rejects some books and not others, because relevance can apparently mean anything.

I was only half-serious and I meant a whole thread of people relating stories about how life got in the way. For some reason, life getting in the way isn't a real thing when the subject is how to get rich through mass production.

Online Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 01:24:39 PM »
In April of 2016, I started working on the visa process to get my fiance to the U.S. She arrived in late August 2016, we got married in October 2016, I started back to full time work in December 2016 after we found out she was pregnant, and we had a baby in early August 2017. It's been kind of a crazy last year and a half.

That's awesome.  Congratulations, and welcome back.   :)

Wow, blast from the past. I haven't been called JJ since high school...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoYsfbq3vMc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoYsfbq3vMc</a>

;D   8)

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »

I'd have to go back and listen to the video since it's been about a year since we did that interview, but I think it was more about writing fast than publishing 100k/month.

she's taking time to write a series of books before releasing all at once.

Sorta what I'm doing. Once I released the third book in my UF series in July, I started outlining and writing a new six-book series, but want to experiment with releasing them fast once all six are done, so I'm writing the same rate I've written before, just not publishing til all six are done.

I'm also splitting my fiction writing time with freelance writing, editing, and development work on the new Star Trek Adventures RPG, which is pretty much my dream game writing gig, so I'm having fun with that and enjoying the bump in freelance income that'll fuel more covers and editing for future fiction releases. Just because someone isn't putting books up every month doesn't mean they're not writing.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:33:54 PM by Jim Johnson »

Online Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 01:48:22 PM »
She could have had some health problems like me that would delay an upcoming book. I had a heart attack and have cardiomyopathy now, and have spent the last two years getting better. I'm almost done with the last book in the series though. I got a one star on my third book, because I hadn't finished the series yet. SO, I made sure I put up on my blog that I'd gotten sick, and that was the reasons the fourth book is delayed. I've been keeping it updated with my writing progress all year.

So, maybe she is just sick or needed a break from writing to sort some life issues. It happens.

My gosh, Tiffany, I'm so sorry to hear this. Great job getting that last book done!

Online Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »

I somehow missed seeing this post earlier.  I'm sorry to hear about that, Tiffany.  I hope you continue to get better.

Offline Tilly

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 01:52:57 PM »
There's lots of reasons why authors vanish. Personally I haven't published since December 2016 due to the bullying, harassment, and targeting of my books that I received from a certain author and her followers. I came pretty close to giving up completely except for a couple of friends who managed to talk me out of my blanket fort where I was hiding, licking my wounds.

I've spent this year reading. ALOT. Apart from all the novels I finally found time to read (silver lining!) I've read craft books, taken courses, tried writing in a different genre and worked with an awesome developmental editor to level up. Despite having such a long time out, I believe I will start 2018 as a much stronger writer and I have a clearer publishing plan.

Offline TiffanyTurner

• Silicon Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 01:53:12 PM »
My gosh, Tiffany, I'm so sorry to hear this. Great job getting that last book done!

Thank you. I'm working on getting the last chapter done today even. It's just, I thought, writing can be delayed for a lot of reasons, and health hadn't been addressed. Plus, there is the possible answer that they have passed on. That sadly happens too. So, unless someone mentions on a blog or website, what the delay may be for an author, you can't really be sure.

Isn't there different movies and TV shows about authors with writers block? Like "Stranger Than Fiction", the author in that had writers block for 10 years. It could even be that.
$0.99-$2.99 on Kindle
New Kindle Release:
$3.99
www.tiffany-turner.com

Offline TiffanyTurner

• Silicon Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 01:57:59 PM »
There's lots of reasons why authors vanish. Personally I haven't published since December 2016 due to the bullying, harassment, and targeting of my books that I received from a certain author and her followers. I came pretty close to giving up completely except for a couple of friends who managed to talk me out of my blanket fort where I was hiding, licking my wounds.

I've spent this year reading. ALOT. Apart from all the novels I finally found time to read (silver lining!) I've read craft books, taken courses, tried writing in a different genre and worked with an awesome developmental editor to level up. Despite having such a long time out, I believe I will start 2018 as a much stronger writer and I have a clearer publishing plan.

Dang. I'm sorry to hear this. I've witnessed different authors getting bullied and have experienced that whole 1 star bullying that happened on Goodreads a while back. Still happens too. It's weird how some people have to put down others to make themselves feel better. They just can't go out and make the better happen themselves. I had this happen in professional life too besides writing. I think it is just everywhere, not just in writing.

Glad you're back though. Those low reviews and comments can really put you in a shell. All that reading is going to help you write better books next year. Just set a goal and go for it. Thing is, you can just keep writing. Stopping means they won. ;-)
$0.99-$2.99 on Kindle
New Kindle Release:
$3.99
www.tiffany-turner.com

Offline Sarah Shaw

• Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 02:19:53 PM »

Good for you, Tilly! I'll bet all that reading and the developmental editing pays off for you and you WILL be a much stronger writer. Good luck!