Author Topic: Drop in sales?  (Read 935 times)  

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
Drop in sales?
« on: October 12, 2017, 05:47:36 AM »
Anyone noticed a drop in sales and page reads over the last couple of months?

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
Re: Drop in sales?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 08:12:21 AM »
Several people have. August was bad, and September was looking frightening before my new release and a BookBub. I think that beyond seasonal variations there were three hurricanes, and California is on fire. A lot of people have been displaced.  :(

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »
September has always been my worst month, but last September was better than the previous. However, this month--eeek! There were a couple of days when I thought I would have NO sales. It has been some years since that has ever happened. Now, I am definitely late with my next book, and everything I have up is 'getting old' (I don't expect the re-release to sell loads) but I have enough up that has been, even recently, selling well, well enough to expect at least a handful of daily sales.
Something just feels a bit 'off'all round on Amazon this month, and no, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, haha! For instance, I went to lower a few prices in an attempt to get a few sales and nearly 24 hours later, the price decrease is still not showing. Yes, I know, I know they say changes can take  'up to 72 hours' but most times a simple change in price takes a few hours at most.

Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb

Offline Alvina

• View Profile
    • Forever Young Recipes
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 09:40:49 AM »
Several people have. August was bad, and September was looking frightening before my new release and a BookBub. I think that beyond seasonal variations there were three hurricanes, and California is on fire. A lot of people have been displaced.  :(

And more obviously, the Las Vegas shooting...  :(

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 10:03:29 AM »

Yeah I feel for these folks and believe that has played a role in the drop. I'm usually steady and rarely see drops but i have noticed it.

Offline cecilia_writer

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
    • Cecilia Peartree - woman of mystery (blog)
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 10:27:19 AM »
My sales on .com, never very good, are now so low I might as well not bother. I noticed today my Australian results are rapidly catching up.
Just hoping to get back to a reasonable level in the UK when I release my next book.

Online Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 12:29:47 PM »
Anyone noticed a drop in sales and page reads over the last couple of months?

You obviously haven't been keeping up with Kboards lately! It's all we talk about, that and the various theories for why our page reads and sales are so dismal. In my own case, I think it's me and my relaxed publishing schedule, but plenty of other villains have been identified. Most of them work for Amazon or scheme to cheat their way into bestsellerhood.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:21:35 PM by Arches »

Offline AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 01:24:29 PM »
My sales on .com, never very good, are now so low I might as well not bother. I noticed today my Australian results are rapidly catching up.
Just hoping to get back to a reasonable level in the UK when I release my next book.
My sales on .com died during the last US election. Never recovered. I might have the odd good promo day on .com but it never carries on.

Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 03:36:16 PM »
My sales have been up and up. I'm not in KU anymore and that nightmare/disaster isn't happening again.

But direct sales? My historic lows are April and August - and they were looooow. Probably genre. YMMV.

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 03:17:27 AM »
I just came on here to find out why suddenly, for the first time EVER, I'm recording zero sales across the board. It's not just Amazon, D2D are pretty abysmal and I just got a Google account so I'm moving books around (bye bye Pronoun, Streetlib, and Xenxii) to get everything in the best place. I'm patient, but after a 1,000 book month in August and almost as good in September I'm a bit miffed at the drop to nothing.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 03:44:59 AM »
I just came on here to find out why suddenly, for the first time EVER, I'm recording zero sales across the board. It's not just Amazon, D2D are pretty abysmal and I just got a Google account so I'm moving books around (bye bye Pronoun, Streetlib, and Xenxii) to get everything in the best place. I'm patient, but after a 1,000 book month in August and almost as good in September I'm a bit miffed at the drop to nothing.

Thats a hell of a drop, quite stunning, and I would have thought damn near impossible. 1,000 to 0 just because its October?

My own sales are tracking lower, but thats normal for the July to December period for me. As long as Im profitable I just take it on the chin. Ive released a new book and Im watching to see what it does. Usually new releases in this window are abysmal. I wouldnt say this one is performing brilliantly, so far its ok-ish.

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 04:40:32 AM »
Thats a hell of a drop, quite stunning, and I would have thought damn near impossible. 1,000 to 0 just because its October?

My own sales are tracking lower, but thats normal for the July to December period for me. As long as Im profitable I just take it on the chin. Ive released a new book and Im watching to see what it does. Usually new releases in this window are abysmal. I wouldnt say this one is performing brilliantly, so far its ok-ish.

Yes! I thought it was an impressive drop :P  However, with all the messing about caused by ineffectively organised aggregators I'm certain that I have lost a ton of rankings and momentum.  I'm moving to go direct wherever I can now so that will be a thing of the past soon. A lot happening between now and Christmas, Spanish version of Sky City, 2nd edition of Pattern Ship, Audiobook of Mutant Hunter and my next Clone Worlds book, Rigelin Gambit - all due out in the next 30-40 days. It can't get any worse eh? ;) (hopefully)

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 04:51:37 AM »
Yes! I thought it was an impressive drop :P  However, with all the messing about caused by ineffectively organised aggregators I'm certain that I have lost a ton of rankings and momentum.  I'm moving to go direct wherever I can now so that will be a thing of the past soon. A lot happening between now and Christmas, Spanish version of Sky City, 2nd edition of Pattern Ship, Audiobook of Mutant Hunter and my next Clone Worlds book, Rigelin Gambit - all due out in the next 30-40 days. It can't get any worse eh? ;) (hopefully)

Hey, it is easy to misstep in this business, but if your catalog is solid you can bring back sales fairly easily.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac