Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Can you comment on my sci-fi cover?  (Read 1899 times)  

Online VayneLine

• View Profile
    • VayneLine
Can you comment on my sci-fi cover?
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:25:11 PM »
Here are two covers I am heavily considering for my next book.  It is a scifi action adventure with religious/cyberpunk overtones.  The color one what I was originally going with, but the inverted looks kind of cool as well.  Thanks for comments.

EDIT- This was the original I went with, a few posts down were some more I was considering as I talk to some various artists.

This is the latest one I am heavily going with.  My story is pretty gritty and occasionally violent, wondering if the blood spatter works.  Here is a more tradtional image I am also talking with the artist.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:49:04 AM by VayneLine »

I write space opera Scifi.  If you like heavy action and deep concepts check out my stuff.
E. A. Szabelski | VayneLine website

Offline Benjamin Douglas

• Iowa
  • Reading :) Riting :) Rithmatic :(
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Douglas Books
Re: Can you comment on my sci-fi cover?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:30:43 PM »
Hi E--

I don't dislike these, but am confused RE: branding. They look like game covers, rather than book covers, to my eye. You mentioned cyberpunk. Are you hoping to appeal to the LitRPG crowd?

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 01:32:45 PM »
Wayneline? Vayneline? Hard to tell what the title is. I'd suggest getting a professional to help you with the typography, or spend some time studying the top-selling covers of your genre and figure out how to make the typography stronger. The inverted image isn't terrible.

Offline joyceharmon

• Virginia
    • View Profile
    • The Village Wordsmith
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 01:46:36 PM »
Agree that the title is hard to read. I prefer the black-purple to the white-yellow which looks rather washed out, and the yellow looks kinda... muddy. I don't read cyberpunk, but this cover doesn't strike me as sci-fi action adventure. If you showed me this cover without saying genre, I'd have guessed fantasy.

Offline BWFoster78

• View Profile
    • My Official Author Website
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 01:52:36 PM »
The word "reset" also makes me think LitRPG.

Brian W. Foster | Website | Newletter | Facebook

Offline jmthrower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 03:17:05 PM »
Just wanted to add that italics are unusual in sci-fi, especially for author name. I looked through the top 100 sci-fi on amazon, and only Blade Runner used italics at all (it was for the title).

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 03:20:47 PM »
Wayneline? Vayneline? Hard to tell what the title is. I'd suggest getting a professional to help you with the typography, or spend some time studying the top-selling covers of your genre and figure out how to make the typography stronger. The inverted image isn't terrible.

All of that. Twice.

Online MissingAlaska

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 03:29:41 PM »
I mean to be helpful -- so I will ask your forgiveness in advance if you find my opinion (and that's all it is) to be too blunt. As a reader, I would not click on either of those images.  They scream "self-published" and don't convey your genre.  I recommend you ditch this and start over.

Michael S. Nuckols | Webpage

Offline Simply_J

• Northeast US
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 04:25:41 PM »
I like the image, it reminds me of the mecha anime's angel series I watched years ago. So, yes I would click to see what's about.

The cover needs some adjustments. The image is too big, so much so, that there's no background. The background can be the same dark currently in it, but the image should be resized in order to be appreciated and for the titles to be more clearly read.

A mix of the blue image with light background would be interesting too

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 04:31:58 PM »
Never, ever, ever vertically or horizontally squish an image. Hold down the shift key while dragging the corner of an image to keep the correct proportions.

Offline jeffkeith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 04:49:27 PM »
That's an interesting image. the blue/black seems a little sharper to me than the white/green, but that's just my take.

I agree with Simply_J about the sizing - you might try some different crops of the image, including making it much smaller on the page. Not knowing how much that winged image extends beyond what you have now makes it tough to say how to approach it. You might try some other filters on it - aside from invert - to see if anything grabs your attention. Even if you added something like an outer glow it might make it pop a little more.

You might also want to add some kind of background in there, just to give it a richer appearance/context - like a night sky or something appropriate to the story. Of course then you get into potential challenges in having your character on top of it. (it's much easier to say what you should do than to actually do it, right?)  :D

The only serious issue is that title lettering. because the letter spacing is so uneven, it makes it hard to read. It's also too close to the edge of the image. The worst offenders being the A, the Y and space between L and I. If that's a font you got somewhere, I would just look for another font. If that's something you put together manually, I'd recommend taking an E and rotating it 90 degrees to cobble together a new "A" character, and do something similar with the Y so that they use up about the same amount of horizontal space on the line as the other letters. Once you have the characters setup, space them out evenly, add a gradient and some effects to highlight the work you've done and go from there.

The last line - 1-Fate Resist - is that the series title, as in "this is book 1 in the Fate Resist Series?" If so, then maybe just say that because it does seem a little cryptic

Good luck!

Jeff

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 07:00:43 PM »
The blue/black cover is superior, definitely. Italics...maybe not a good choice. As for genre, my brain is screaming "anime" due to the hand-drawn look and subject matter.

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Online VayneLine

• View Profile
    • VayneLine
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 07:29:43 PM »
Hey guys thanks for the comments, here are a few others I am messing around with.

For those wondering about the plot, yes it is litrpg like / anime vibes.  I guess I am letting a bit too much video game influence in (imagine mass effect the game if you know what that is)

Edit, guess photobucket flagged my account for '3rd party hosting' oh well new site:

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:19:06 AM by VayneLine »

I write space opera Scifi.  If you like heavy action and deep concepts check out my stuff.

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 07:51:02 PM »
Hey guys thanks for the comments, here are a few others I am messing around with.

For those wondering about the plot, yes it is litrpg like / anime vibes.  I guess I am letting a bit too much video game influence in (imagine mass effect the game if you know what that is)

The first one in this lineup is the best so far!

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 09:04:28 PM »
Those latest two covers are light years better than the angel covers.  You're more accurately signaling genre now.   ;D

The fonts are still a bit iffy.  You can keep the distressed font for Vayne Line, but I'd use a normal sans-serif font for the rest of the text.

Here they are at thumbnail size:

v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 09:15:14 PM »
Those latest two covers are light years better than the angel covers.  You're more accurately signaling genre now.   ;D

The fonts are still a bit iffy.  You can keep the distressed font for Vayne Line, but I'd use a normal sans-serif font for the rest of the text.

Here they are at thumbnail size:

This. Also make sure you have secured the rights to the image.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline jeffkeith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 03:09:49 AM »

for some reason I can't see these images in my browser, even when i go to photobuskets

Offline BWFoster78

• View Profile
    • My Official Author Website
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 05:02:49 AM »

I'm not sure it's a good idea for your cover to signal LitRPG if it's only "LitRPG like." Fans of the genre have certain expectations. If your book doesn't meet those expectations, those fans are going to be very unhappy with your book.

Brian W. Foster | Website | Newletter | Facebook

Offline C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 06:40:30 AM »
Am I the only one who can't see the images? All I see is a placeholder with 'please update your account to enable third party hosting'.

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 07:14:40 AM »
Am I the only one who can't see the images? All I see is a placeholder with 'please update your account to enable third party hosting'.
They were there yesterday. I think the OP took them down to work on them.

Online VayneLine

• View Profile
    • VayneLine
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 07:20:19 AM »
Hey guys, actually photobucket flagged my account for 3rd party hosting so had to switch.

Yes I worked on the fonts to clean them up, check my 2nd post for updates pics.

Thanks again for your help!

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 07:24:06 AM »
The first cover is very nice because of color.

On the second, the white font over a black and white picture gets lost. You'd want color in your font for that. Yellow and blues or mixes work good for that. Check your genre top sellers for black and white covers to see what colors they use.

That is, if you're still trying to decide.

Online VayneLine

• View Profile
    • VayneLine
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 11:32:30 AM »
Here is one I really like while I am talking with the artist.  I took to heart some of the things about font mentioned.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »
I think that's a nice cover picture - but now it makes the "grunge" font of the title look out of place.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
Here is one I really like while I am talking with the artist.  I took to heart some of the things about font mentioned.

Thumbnail size:

I think the imagery is pretty awesome.  However, the cover seems top-heavy.  If the artist can shift the entire image down so that the foreground ship is no higher than the middle of the page, then I think it'll look less lopsided.
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website