Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Createspace closing its store? And so it begins...  (Read 17513 times)  

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
Createspace closing its store? And so it begins...
« on: October 12, 2017, 02:15:13 PM »
To better serve customers and improve the online buying experience, we will redirect customers who click on your CreateSpace eStore links to their corresponding detail pages on Amazon.com starting October 31, 2017.

Were making this change based on increasing feedback and requests to add features to the eStore that are currently available on Amazon.com. These features include the ability to search across the site, an improved checkout process, better shipping options including Amazon Prime, order tracking notifications, and a familiar user interface.

While this change will allow eStore redirects to benefit your titles sales rank and visibility on Amazon.com, we realize these sales will earn lower royalty rates than on the eStore. To help with this transition, we will adjust your Amazon royalty rates for six months effective November 1, 2017 through April 30, 2018, to reflect the average royalty rate you earned across all paperback sales of your title through both the CreateSpace eStore and Amazon sales channels (which includes Amazon.com and Amazon Europe) over the last year. For example, if half of your sales for a paperback title were through the CreateSpace eStore, for which you earned an 80% royalty rate, and the other half were through Amazon sales channels, for which you earned a 60% royalty rate, your new royalty rate for sales of that title during this six-month period will be 70%. After April 30, 2018, your royalty rate will revert to the standard Amazon 60% rate.

You can also earn more if you sign up to become an Amazon Associate at https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/.

The closure of the eStore will not affect other CreateSpace services. However, if your titles are not available for sale on Amazon.com, youll need to visit your CreateSpace dashboard and check the box to allow sales through Amazon.com. To learn more about these changes please review our Help page.

https://www.createspace.com/Help/Index.jsp?orgId=00D300000001Sh9&id=50139000000oxUN

Below you'll find the adjusted royalty rates for your impacted titles:

The bolding is mine.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
Re: Createspace closing its store? And so it begins...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 02:18:08 PM »
Please re-tweet my tweet calling out Jeff Bezos and Amazon: https://twitter.com/Article_94/status/918592060780716032

I'm effectively out of business as a distributor of paperbacks. Without codes to give my clients a wholesale discount, i can't have them order product for appearances at comiconc, book festivals, etc.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:45:21 PM by Mark Gardner »

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 02:20:16 PM »
Do you think they intend to absorb CreateSpace into the new KDP Print?

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 02:33:04 PM »
Do we still sell our eBooks that we don't want in direct or KU on CreateSpace?
Fate\'s Fallen: 100%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 54%

Evolution\'s Child: 100%
Dean Rencraft | Website

Offline Colin

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 02:35:21 PM »

Yes.

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
Yes.

Offline Colin

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 02:38:50 PM »

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 02:39:44 PM »
Can somebody please explain? I wasn't aware that CS pays higher royalty rate than KDP for PBs. So KDP pays lower royalty for PBs???

Online Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »
saw this coming a mile away. CS will ultimately be absorbed into zon. All we can hope for is that whoever is in charge of CS is put in charge of zon customer service, because the difference is like dining at a 5-star restaurant versus eating out of a garbage can in the alley.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 02:44:20 PM »
CS "understands and sympathizes" with my concern with closing the eStore arbitrarily and with only two weeks notice, but "they will not be reversing the decision to close the eStore."

Please re-tweet my tweet calling out Jeff Bezos and Amazon: https://twitter.com/Article_94/status/918592060780716032
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:55:53 PM by Mark Gardner »

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 02:54:22 PM »
@Colin @Flay Otters (what does that handle mean, btw?)

I suspected as much, but decided Id see if anyone else thought so.

Well, poop to that, Im gonna go find another print house. Any suggestions?

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 02:56:04 PM »
Can somebody please explain? I wasn't aware that CS pays higher royalty rate than KDP for PBs. So KDP pays lower royalty for PBs???

CreateSpace has always had a store where people could order direct and you made the highest royalty. For my titles that pay $4 or so I could earn I think $9 if they bought direct from CreateSpace. It was never searchable or anything like a real store. You had to point people to it. (I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I never used it, but it seems others in this thread did.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 02:57:07 PM »
@Colin @Flay Otters (what does that handle mean, btw?)

I suspected as much, but decided Id see if anyone else thought so.

Well, poop to that, Im gonna go find another print house. Any suggestions?

Ingram Spark can produce the books with a setup fee, but they don't have an eStore. There are no other POD services that allow discount codes.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 02:59:08 PM »
color me ignorant, but I wasn't aware of CreateSpace eStore.  Or maybe I did hear of it at one time but never knew what it was.
Jena

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 03:02:35 PM »
Ingram Spark can produce the books with a setup fee, but they don't have an eStore. There are no other POD services that allow discount codes.

Sorry to hear youve been stitched up with this change. It doesnt mean much to me other than I dont want Amazon to have so much control over my catalog. The CreateSpace thing is yet another bait and switch game just like ACX and KU.

I have two books pending print set up and Ill check out Ingram. Thanks for the tip.

Ill check out the tweet too.

Offline Colin

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 03:04:44 PM »
We are all grains of shifting sand - Amazon is the ocean.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:08:15 PM by Colin »

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 03:06:09 PM »
Sorry to hear youve been stitched up with this change. It doesnt mean much to me other than I dont want Amazon to have so much control over my catalog. The CreateSpace thing is yet another bait and switch game just like ACX and KU.

I have two books pending print set up and Ill check out Ingram. Thanks for the tip.

Ill check out the tweet too.

If you can wait, Ingram Spark usually has a coupon code for free setup in the first quarter of the year. But, the issue is that Ingram Spark doesn't offer free ISBNs, so I just don't know that Ingram Spark is a viable replacement to Createspace. I also suspect that this will negatively impact both Draft2Digital and Babelcube. They both use Createspace for their paperbacks.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 03:09:07 PM »
Closing the e-store I can understand hurts the OP. Although this doesn't mean CS is closing. For a while yet, CS remains an option for printing, but effectively becomes the same as KDP print.

Which means, the goal is to close CS.

What was wrong with CS? I'm sure they were profitable. Probably just another strangle on the publishing process.

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 03:12:15 PM »
Closing the e-store I can understand hurts the OP. Although this doesn't mean CS is closing. For a while yet, CS remains an option for printing, but effectively becomes the same as KDP print.

Which means, the goal is to close CS.

What was wrong with CS? I'm sure they were profitable. Probably just another strangle on the publishing process.

Since I haven't liked what I've been hearing about Kindle Print, I'll probably just use Ingram Spark for my paperbacks (which I was already planning to do for non-Amazon stores) and figure something else out for Amazon. I don't really like that they're basically forcing people (or trying to force people) to go to KDP Print, which from all appearances is an inferior system. We don't have to bite if we don't want to, and I don't plan to.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 03:13:44 PM »
If you can wait, Ingram Spark usually has a coupon code for free setup in the first quarter of the year. But, the issue is that Ingram Spark doesn't offer free ISBNs, so I just don't know that Ingram Spark is a viable replacement to Createspace. I also suspect that this will negatively impact both Draft2Digital and Babelcube. They both use Createspace for their paperbacks.

Its about $300 for ten ISBNs, which would keep me going for a bit, and about $65 per book on Ingram. Thats not too bad. From memory, registering copyright is around $50, which I know isnt essential but I like to have it.

Thats around $100 - $150 (if you add registration) per book. I can live with that.

Do you know if Ingram provide wholesale prices to authors?

Offline Edward M. Grant

• Canada (moved from UK)
    • View Profile
    • Edward M. Grant
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 03:15:12 PM »

Duplicated a lot of functionality that Amazon already has (ordering, shipping, etc). And made Amazon less money when someone bought a book at Createspace.

Also, I read that they operate Expanded Distribution through Ingram anyway? So they may not be making much money, if any, selling books anywhere other than Amazon.

Guess it's time to take a look at Ingram myself.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 03:16:47 PM »
Probably just another strangle on the publishing process.

Yup! Im fed up with Amazons bait and switch routine. They sucker us in with what looks like a decent deal and then shove us somewhere we dont want to be.

Im done with being pushed around like this, which means no KU and no flipping KDP Print.

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 03:17:43 PM »
Makes me wonder if KDP will be a super-limited distribution scheme: as in, Amazon only.

I make several hundred dollars off paperback sales per month and much of it is exp distro.  :(

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 03:20:06 PM »
Makes me wonder if KDP will be a super-limited distribution scheme: as in, Amazon only.

You probably just pegged their next bait & switch. Were getting good at this game.

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 03:21:40 PM »
KDP Print should eventually have everything that CreateSpace has, including expanded distribution. They're not there yet, but that is the plan.

Amanda M. Lee