Author Topic: Createspace closing its store? And so it begins...  (Read 8589 times)  

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
Re: Createspace closing its store? And so it begins...
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 03:22:11 PM »
Its about $300 for ten ISBNs, which would keep me going for a bit, and about $65 per book on Ingram. Thats not too bad. From memory, registering copyright is around $50, which I know isnt essential but I like to have it.

Thats around $100 - $150 (if you add registration) per book. I can live with that.

Do you know if Ingram provide wholesale prices to authors?
They do offer wholesale pricing directly to the author, and you can still drop-ship to a client, but this option will still be offered by CS until it isn't.

Please re-tweet my tweet calling out Jeff Bezos and Amazon: https://twitter.com/Article_94/status/918592060780716032

Online Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 03:22:34 PM »
You probably just pegged their next bait & switch. Were getting good at this game.

Gawd, I hope not.  :'(

But if anything rings true, it is that Zon changes things constantly, and usually not for the better for indies.

Offline Lynn McNamee

• Carolinas
    • View Profile
    • Red Adept Publishing
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 03:23:42 PM »
We buy books direct from the CS store at cost for use in book signings, giveaways, etc.

Will we no longer be able to do that?

Will we have to pay full price for our own books?

Online Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 03:25:04 PM »
We buy books direct from the CS store at cost for use in book signings, giveaways, etc.

No. I believe author copies are now available through KDP Print (they weren't before). I remember seeing that right before I left for a trip a few weeks ago and I didn't track it all that carefully at the time.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 03:28:17 PM »
They do offer wholesale pricing directly to the author, and you can still drop-ship to a client, but this option will still be offered by CS until it isn't.

Please re-tweet my tweet calling out Jeff Bezos and Amazon: https://twitter.com/Article_94/status/918592060780716032

Thank you, I appreciate you sharing your expertise. Ingram looks like it will do what we need even there is a small upfront cost. Ill definitely print the new books elsewhere starting now. If Ingram are a go with those, then we can move the older ones across.

Offline Lynn McNamee

• Carolinas
    • View Profile
    • Red Adept Publishing
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »
My biggest issue is that, as a publisher, I give my authors a 55% discount code so they can purchase their own books.

I'm guessing the CS coupon codes will be useless now.

Ingram Spark doesn't offer this type of thing.

So apparently, I'm going to have to buy the books on behalf of my authors when they want copies. That's a lot of extra work!

I am so angry about this!   >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2017, 03:30:09 PM »
To better serve customers and improve the online buying experience, we will redirect customers who click on your CreateSpace eStore links to their corresponding detail pages on Amazon.com starting October 31, 2017.

Were making this change based on increasing feedback and requests to add features to the eStore that are currently available on Amazon.com. These features include the ability to search across the site, an improved checkout process, better shipping options including Amazon Prime, order tracking notifications, and a familiar user interface.

While this change will allow eStore redirects to benefit your titles sales rank and visibility on Amazon.com, we realize these sales will earn lower royalty rates than on the eStore. To help with this transition, we will adjust your Amazon royalty rates for six months effective November 1, 2017 through April 30, 2018, to reflect the average royalty rate you earned across all paperback sales of your title through both the CreateSpace eStore and Amazon sales channels (which includes Amazon.com and Amazon Europe) over the last year. For example, if half of your sales for a paperback title were through the CreateSpace eStore, for which you earned an 80% royalty rate, and the other half were through Amazon sales channels, for which you earned a 60% royalty rate, your new royalty rate for sales of that title during this six-month period will be 70%. After April 30, 2018, your royalty rate will revert to the standard Amazon 60% rate.

You can also earn more if you sign up to become an Amazon Associate at https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/.

The closure of the eStore will not affect other CreateSpace services. However, if your titles are not available for sale on Amazon.com, youll need to visit your CreateSpace dashboard and check the box to allow sales through Amazon.com. To learn more about these changes please review our Help page.

https://www.createspace.com/Help/Index.jsp?orgId=00D300000001Sh9&id=50139000000oxUN

Below you'll find the adjusted royalty rates for your impacted titles:

The bolding is mine.

This is not exactly much of a change at all.

I always directed people to amazon.com anyway and never to the estore on createspace.

Online Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 03:32:31 PM »
This is not exactly much of a change at all.

I always directed people to amazon.com anyway and never to the estore on createspace.

The problem is, it's a start. And it does very much effect some people and companies.

Offline dcswain

• View Profile
    • Author Website:
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 03:35:42 PM »
If you can wait, Ingram Spark usually has a coupon code for free setup in the first quarter of the year.

You don't have to wait - they are running a promotion now, until the end of November. The promo code is INDIEFRINGE17

DC Swain | Author Website

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 03:41:36 PM »

Not as it is right now. It's easier to illustrate with a real-world (simplified) example of exactly what we're losing:

A 298-page 5x8 paperback costs $4.49. Shipping amortizes to about $1 per book. If I want to purchase a bunch of books for me to sling at a comicon or book festival, I just order my books at an effective cost of $5.49. When I sell it for $14.99, I make a profit of approximately $9.50. This isn't going to change. What is going to change is thusly:

When a bookstore wants to host me for a signing, I send them to the CS eStore and give them a discount code to deduct 30% or about $5.00. They pay the shipping, and I still get a royalty of $4.50, and they're able to price my paperbacks at whatever price they choose, based on market demand, etc. This change shifts the onus of acquiring books from the bookstore back to me, and limits the options of the bookstore.

Where this really hurts me as a indie imprint is that I would format and make available paperbacks for other authors. I would give them at-cost coupon codes, and wholesale coupon codes so that they could operate the distribution themselves. Now I have to accept payment from them, charge them transaction privilege tax on a per-unit basis, and file my TPT with the state. This increases the cost all along the chain. Before, the author or bookstore was entirely responsible for TPT. The new method will also result in double taxation because I now have to act as a middle-man. (I pay a TPT because a transaction [from CS to me] has happened, and the author also has to pay an additional TPT because a second transaction [from me to the author] has happened. Finally, a third TPT [from the author to the customer] happens as the unit changes hand yet a third time.)

You may say that this change and my lower profits isn't Amazon's problem. That is true, but Amazon has sprung this on us with only 2 weeks notice. The new method also costs me more, and makes it more difficult for comics and book festivals to host me. Again, not Amazon's problem. But disguising this change as something to "improve customer experience" and not the money grab that it actually is is insulting. Forcing it on us with no notice is proof that they know that this will hurt the indie publisher and author as they try to sweep the change under the rug.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:48:00 PM by Mark Gardner »

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 03:48:45 PM »
Where this really hurts me as a indie imprint is that I would format and make available paperbacks for other authors. I would give them at-cost coupon codes, and wholesale coupon codes so that they could operate the distribution themselves. Now I have to accept payment from them, charge them transaction privilege tax on a per-unit basis, and file my TPT with the state. This increases the cost all along the chain. Before, the author or bookstore was entirely responsible for TPT. The new method will also result in double taxation because I now have to act as a middle-man.

So it sounds like you're mostly upset about this as a small press, not so much as an author. Because obviously that problem right there isn't something most of us will have to deal with.

I'm not saying I like this change. Just that the reasons you're saying it's terrible don't appear to apply to most of us.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 03:49:33 PM »
You don't have to wait - they are running a promotion now, until the end of November. The promo code is INDIEFRINGE17

Thank you. Off to test Ingram!  :D

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 03:59:28 PM »
So it sounds like you're mostly upset about this as a small press, not so much as an author. Because obviously that problem right there isn't something most of us will have to deal with.

I'm not saying I like this change. Just that the reasons you're saying it's terrible don't appear to apply to most of us.

Your assessment is correct. The average indie author will probably not be impacted by this. But as an author/publisher is severely curtails my business model. It also makes any author who wants better control of their business more difficult. Finally, it eliminates a methodology for indie authors to sell their paperbacks at a higher royalty and forces everyone into the Amazon ethos.

Additionally, as an author, it makes me lesssattractive as a guest at a comicon of Book Festival, thus narrowing the public's exposure to me and my works.

Offline TheLass

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 04:05:58 PM »

Maybe not, I wonder how many people make use of the coupon codes. 

But it does show how little respect they have for authors if they can make such a change with so little warning.  Who knows what nasty changes they have in store for the rest of us?

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 04:10:59 PM »
I said it first!

:--)

Yes, but I said it with a playful wink and knowing nod.

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 04:13:32 PM »
But it does show how little respect they have for authors if they can make such a change with so little warning.  Who knows what nasty changes they have in store for the rest of us?

Yes, it sure does that. Although at this point, I'm not surprised. I keep hoping competitors will rise up, seeing an opportunity.

Offline Gentleman Zombie

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2017, 04:15:33 PM »
Finally, it eliminates a methodology for indie authors to sell their paperbacks at a higher royalty and forces everyone into the Amazon ethos

Agreed. My goal is too expand enough that in-person appearances are a viable option. If anything this extends Amazon's reach and influence over indie publishing.  It makes me nervous.

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 04:18:54 PM »
Closing the e-store I can understand hurts the OP. Although this doesn't mean CS is closing. For a while yet, CS remains an option for printing, but effectively becomes the same as KDP print.

Which means, the goal is to close CS.

What was wrong with CS? I'm sure they were profitable. Probably just another strangle on the publishing process.
The difference is you can order cheap author copies from C-space.
Otherwise they are exactly the same thing, effectively.

What happened was a company called CustomFlix was acquired by Amazon in 2005. The plan all along was presumably to fold it into the mothership. We are observing the endgame.
From Wikipedia (List of mergers and acquisitions by Amazon): CreateSpace.com, formerly CustomFlix, a distributor of on-demand DVDs, since expanded to include print on-demand books, CDs, and videos, based in Scotts Valley, California.

Offline TwistedTales

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 04:22:52 PM »
If anything this extends Amazon's reach and influence over indie publishing.  It makes me nervous.

Exactly, which is why Ill move my print elsewhere. If you dont want Amazon to become a monopoly then dont make them one.

Offline Lynn McNamee

• Carolinas
    • View Profile
    • Red Adept Publishing
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 04:24:19 PM »
I went to KDP to attempt to publish a paperback and see how it works.

This message appears:

"KDP does not currently support Expanded Distribution, Proofs and Author (wholesale) copies. If these features are important to you, we do not recommend republishing this book on KDP at this time."

This is a problem publishers and for all authors who might want to purchase copies of their own books.

Yes, you can go through Ingram Spark and purchase copies, but from what I've seen, they are more expensive than CS.

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2017, 04:26:43 PM »
Exactly, which is why Ill move my print elsewhere. If you dont want Amazon to become a monopoly then dont make them one.

Me too (except I don't have print out yet, but when I do...).

Offline Lynn McNamee

• Carolinas
    • View Profile
    • Red Adept Publishing
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2017, 04:36:30 PM »
Here's a comparison between Ingram & CreateSpace for purchasing your own book(s): (I used one book available at both for this and chose cheapest print and shipping where applicable.)

Ingram order of 1 book: $10.72
CS order of 1 book: $7.72

Ingram order of 10 books: $56.56
CS order of 10 books: $49.29

Ingram order of 25 books: $132.99
CS order of 25 books: $118.73

Online Tilly

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2017, 04:50:22 PM »
This doesn't bother me. I never used the specific CS store anyway and over the last couple of months I have been slowly moving my books out of CS and over to the KDP dashboard & Ingrams. For me, I'm in a country where I could only get cheques from CS which took months and postage on author copies was astronomical. Like $35 for a single copy. I make most of my paperback sales through ED and Ingrams offers better margins. Using Amazon for their paperbacks makes better economic sense for me.

I'm in a country where ISBNs are free and I wait until Ingrams has a discount code which makes using them free. Plus they print in Australia and author copies are heaps cheaper. I use the KDP paperback interface for Amazon only sales, which also pays for me paperbacks with my ebooks so no more waiting a month for a cheque to turn up and 2 months for it clear.

Like anything you need to look at your sales, examine the options, and determine the route that maximises your return.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:52:00 PM by Tilly »

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2017, 05:01:16 PM »
KDP Print should eventually have everything that CreateSpace has, including expanded distribution. They're not there yet, but that is the plan.

the lack of expanded distribution is my biggest issue with KDP Print

Offline mojomikey

• Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »
Ingram Spark is waiving their setup fee thru Nov 30 with code INDIEFRINGE17

Lets you load as many books as you want. Good time to switch if you want to.