Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?
KB Featured
TBD
by TBD

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2016-01-12
Bestseller ranking: 757432

Product Description
With the odd disappearance of her parents, Gussie Gibson has lived her entire life with her granny on a peaceful pecan orchard, owned by the meanest man in all of Georgia—Mr. J.P. Combs. Granny teaches Gussie many valuable life lessons as a black woman growing up in the still-segregated south. Mr. Combs is an evil underhanded banker who takes liberties beyond his privilege. When Granny dies, Combs informs Gussie she owes him back rent—but he wants much more than money for payment—and more than Gussie can live with.
After defending herself against his sexual advances, Gussie flees to escape certain vigilante justice when she meets a charming, handsome stranger, Sam Johnson, who is just returning from World War II.
Gussie and Sam’s friendship is short-lived when Mr. Combs hunts her down and drags her back to Green Ridge, driven by his craving for revenge and a grudge too deep to comprehend. Gussie fights to return to Sam and his lo...

Author Topic: Kindle and iPad Kindle App not synching  (Read 386 times)  

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
Kindle and iPad Kindle App not synching
« on: December 03, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »
I have long gone back and forth reading on my Kindle (voyage) and my iPad. I have never had trouble synching automatically between the two. Lately the sync has not been happening. Is there anything I can do?
Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle and iPad Kindle App not synching
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 03:49:24 PM »
When I switch between devices and it doesn't seem like it's synced, I just do a manual sync. That usually does it.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 06:03:15 AM »
I rarely read on other than my current Kindle / Oasis.  Was out and took out Oasis.  Dead.  Nooooo.  I can read on my iPhone.  Did not automatically sync.  Wouldn't do manual sync.  Had to remove book from iPhone and upload it again.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Online ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 09:06:07 AM »
Do you have Wifi turned off?  Many on here say they do to extend battery life.  Wifi is how the cloud (in this case Amazon) would know where to sync the phone to. 

Another point I have discovered.  The phone tries to use Wifi to sync.  If the Wifi connection is poor it may not sync.  When that occurs I turn off Wifi on the phone and then the 3g or LTE signal will allow it to sync.  Worth a try.
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 09:20:42 AM »
Do you have Wifi turned off?  Many on here say they do to extend battery life.  Wifi is how the cloud (in this case Amazon) would know where to sync the phone to. 

Another point I have discovered.  The phone tries to use Wifi to sync.  If the Wifi connection is poor it may not sync.  When that occurs I turn off Wifi on the phone and then the 3g or LTE signal will allow it to sync.  Worth a try.

Wifi is turned on and I have a good connection. I have noticed that I sync most consistently with my iPad, but my Kindle never seems to sync, even when I try a manual sync. I think the goblins have moved in!

Online ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 09:49:16 AM »
Okay, next try.  I drive almost daily as a volunteer taking patients to treatment.  I never carry my Oasis (advantage to women with purses), I read on my phone while waiting for the patient to finish.  So before I leave the house I sync my phone to the furthest page read the previous night.  The advantage of this is that when it does not sync automatically I can then just note the furthest page read on my Oasis and use go to to get there on my Android phone.  I seldom have to do it that way but can when needed. 

Agreed would be nice to have sync as designed every time but it sometimes does not.
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Online Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 06:31:24 PM »
My wifi is always on on my Kindle.  Do that so I get latest update.  But that doesn't always seem to happen?

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »
Not having issues, unless I read offline with one and take up another to continue. Im almost always online however, I never turn WiFi off and try to remember to exit to Home before putting it down (I think at least iOS app does not upload reading position unless you close and return Home; I do the same on Voyage). My Voyage can take a number of seconds to sync even though I dont turn WiFi off so I may have to wait 20 seconds or so.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 08:40:03 AM »
Not having issues, unless I read offline with one and take up another to continue. Im almost always online however, I never turn WiFi off and try to remember to exit to Home before putting it down (I think at least iOS app does not upload reading position unless you close and return Home; I do the same on Voyage). My Voyage can take a number of seconds to sync even though I dont turn WiFi off so I may have to wait 20 seconds or so.

Hmmm...my wifi is always on with both my Voyage and my iPad. Recently they have not been out of my house, so reading offline could not be the explanation that they are not syncing. I have never closed by returning HOME. Does this make a difference? I just close the cover. On my iPad I just go to another app. I wonder if I am missing something here.

Offline mikeschr

• Portland, OR
  • DX, K4, KTouch, PW, Oasis
    • View Profile
    • OTR Comedy
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 03:42:00 PM »
i have the same problem, with syncing betweek the Kindle and iPad being spotty.  I've tried closing the books on each device - still no sync sometimes.  A manual sync doesn't work because most of these are books I'm re-reading and manual sync goes to the furthest point read ever.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 03:44:34 PM »
Hmmm...my wifi is always on with both my Voyage and my iPad. Recently they have not been out of my house, so reading offline could not be the explanation that they are not syncing. I have never closed by returning HOME. Does this make a difference? I just close the cover. On my iPad I just go to another app. I wonder if I am missing something here.

Ill have to experiment. Im pessimistic that it will update reading position in cloud if you lock the screen and put the device in sleep mode by closing the cover or whatever.

But Id like to understand what conditions trigger this. It should certainly do it without needing to manually trigger sync, in some set of normal usage scenarios. The tricky part is that simply turning pages is not going to trigger upload of reading position. Going Home/Library (closing the book) would be a logical place to do this, but it is also possible that it does upload every so often while a book is open. However waking the device up and resuming reading a suspended session might well do a sync too.

I just know it does seem to work most of the time for me, given that I am in the habit of returning to Library/Home before switching devices.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:05:40 PM by tsemple »