Author Topic: Want AZW3 files instead of KFX  (Read 555 times)  

Offline lamont

• View Profile
Want AZW3 files instead of KFX
« on: October 15, 2017, 11:53:17 PM »
I have a Kindle Paperwhite. Lately, most azw3 files on my Kindle have been replaced by kfx files. Also, when I log into my amazon acount and download book files from my Contents page straight to my computer (files go into download folder by default), I no longer get azw3 files.

So I downloaded a book file via the Kindle application (1.17.1). Then I went into user/library/application support/kindle/my kindle content, and there I do see an azw3 file of the downloaded book. The problem is, the file name does not show the book title, which is different from how azw3 files used to be. The file name used to show the book title followed by a string of gibberish. Now I see only gibberish. If I drag this file via USB into my Kindle, will the Kindle recognize the azw3 file and will it be able to extract the book title?

If I want to try this out to answer my own question, I would have to remove the book in question first from the Kindle then try to add it in the described manner, but I don't want to risk messing something up. Hence my question.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Want AZW3 files instead of KFX
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 01:50:31 PM »
Honestly, I've never worried about the file type of the books I get from Amazon as long as they work on my kindle. And I confess I'm not sure what you mean by "kindle application 1.17." So: can't be much help. :(

Are you maybe downloading a book to a computer kindle app and trying to transfer that file to your paperwhite? That generally won't work since the files, when downloaded, are keyed to the device/app to which they were originally downloaded.

You might be able to get more/better answers from the folks who hang out at mobile read . . . they tend to get more into the nitty gritty of file types and the system programming, etc.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline lamont

• View Profile
Re: Want AZW3 files instead of KFX
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 09:52:39 PM »
Kindle Application version 1.17.1 is what's on my Mac. By downloading a book from amazon via the Kindle application, I can get an azw or azw3 file, which is what I want, since it works with Calibre. The kfx files that I get if I download a book upon purchase straight into my Kindle works on the Kindle fine, but not in Calibre. Also, I like to back up my book files in a format like e-pub, which is open source and relatively future-proof. I can't do that with kfx files.

Thanks anyway. I will try the folks at mobile read.