Author Topic: Echo remote  (Read 643 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
Echo remote
« on: October 16, 2017, 08:39:57 AM »
I've just had my second Echo Remote fail yesterday. It lasted a year and a week. I'm more than a bit annoyed. I have to use the thing frequently, since neither the Echo or the Dot are that good at rejecting even low-level ambient noise from TVs and such.

Pfui (as a famous detective would say).
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline gdae23

• NYC
    • View Profile
Re: Echo remote
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 01:23:24 PM »
I had one that seemed to fail a while ago. I replaced the battery, even though the battery was fairly new, and it started working again. I'm  still not sure if there was actually anything wrong with the battery, or if taking it out and replacing it allowed the remote to reboot itself. Any chance the issue with yours is related to the battery and not to the remote itself?

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 01:56:23 PM »
My remote just died last week. I swapped out the batteries, didn't help.  Hubby saw a bit of corrosion from the batteries inside and thinks that's what made the remote go kaput. :(

Offline gdae23

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 02:24:34 PM »
My remote just died last week. I swapped out the batteries, didn't help.  Hubby saw a bit of corrosion from the batteries inside and thinks that's what made the remote go kaput. :(

I've had that happen with some items, like a mini lantern, even if I was using it fairly often. How long have you had your remote?

Online Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 02:38:47 PM »
I've just had my second Echo Remote fail yesterday. It lasted a year and a week. I'm more than a bit annoyed. I have to use the thing frequently, since neither the Echo or the Dot are that good at rejecting even low-level ambient noise from TVs and such.

Pfui (as a famous detective would say).

Is this flummery?

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 03:17:05 PM »
I've had that happen with some items, like a mini lantern, even if I was using it fairly often. How long have you had your remote?

Since January 2015, when I got the Echo. Still the original remote. I did use it a lot, but I'm not sure if I want to buy another.

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 06:28:03 PM »

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 06:32:29 PM »
I had one that seemed to fail a while ago. I replaced the battery, even though the battery was fairly new, and it started working again. I'm  still not sure if there was actually anything wrong with the battery, or if taking it out and replacing it allowed the remote to reboot itself. Any chance the issue with yours is related to the battery and not to the remote itself?

I re-booted both the Echo and the Dot multiple times, replaced the remote batteries, brushed the contacts, and sacrificed two cookies. No luck.

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 06:52:22 PM »
Update: Tried to take the thing apart. Failed. Brushed the negative contact again, sprayed with silicon lube, worked the contact up and down a dozen times or so.

Now it works. So it apparently was an internal corrosion problem, even though there was no evidence of the batteries leaking. File procedure for future use.

Offline readingril

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 06:38:53 AM »
Ok tried that but it didn't work for me. :(

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Offline gdae23

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 07:08:52 PM »
Update: Tried to take the thing apart. Failed. Brushed the negative contact again, sprayed with silicon lube, worked the contact up and down a dozen times or so.

Now it works. So it apparently was an internal corrosion problem, even though there was no evidence of the batteries leaking. File procedure for future use.

I'm glad you were able to get it working again. I'll also "File procedure for future use."