Kindle Forum banner

Tracking Book Sales: TrackerBox Mac Kickstarter is live (24 hours remain!)

7K views 87 replies 24 participants last post by  Mark Fassett 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I've been waiting for this. Two questions:

1. Will the license be for one computer only or, if I buy a new computer in the future can I then load it onto that one as well?

2. Will it support all versions of Mac OS? (Snow Leopard, Lion, etc) Or only the current OS?

#4 ·
Patty Jansen said:
OMG!

Trackerbox is the only reason I keep my 8yo pc limping, but it's limping and complains of being out of RAM the moment I turn it on.

Grrr I want to contribute but I want to use Paypal.
I wish they'd let you use Paypal!

鬼 said:
I've been waiting for this. Two questions:

1. Will the license be for one computer only or, if I buy a new computer in the future can I then load it onto that one as well?

2. Will it support all versions of Mac OS? (Snow Leopard, Lion, etc) Or only the current OS?
1: The license is to one email address (the person using it). You can load it on as many computers as you want, as long as you're the person using it.

2: It will support as many versions as I can make it support. My current Mac is a 2008 Macbook Pro that is now considered obsolete, and it's stuck on El Capitan. I expect TrackerBox will be able to run on Snow Leopard, as well. I don't think TrackerBox will require any features that are new to recent releases of OSX.

#7 ·
David VanDyke said:
Funded for my Mac, and shared on FB. Hope you hit the mark without difficulty.
Thanks! I hope it funds without difficulty, too - but mostly, I just hope it funds :) I'm tired of telling people "No" when they ask if there's a Mac version.

#9 ·
George Saoulidis said:
Bumping and making sure people know that they can get a PC license for $75 ($10 discount), if they back you up. Come on people, move it.
Actually, a nearly $15 discount! (Yeah, that $5 difference makes all the difference ;) )

#10 ·
Just curious, if you're going to rewrite your entire codebase, why not make it cloud-based, so platform-agnostic?

With making an iOS version, you're now going have to manage/maintain/update two codebases. Having done this for so many years on other projects...not fun.

#11 ·
csharte said:
Just curious, if you're going to rewrite your entire codebase, why not make it cloud-based, so platform-agnostic?

With making an iOS version, you're now going have to manage/maintain/update two codebases. Having done this for so many years on other projects...not fun.
One of the advantages TrackerBox has over ALL of the other options is that it is NOT cloud based, and is a one time payment.

If it was cloud based, I'd have to charge a subscription (like everyone else), your data would be in the cloud so my security management would be quite a bit more complex and my liability would be greater. The Windows version is solid and stable, and the only thing that changes on a regular basis are the importers. Most of the time, they only take a couple hours to update. New ones can take a day or so (plus testing time). Doubling that effort for separate mac and windows builds is far less of a burden than dealing with servers and security issues and logins and monthly payments, etc...

Most of my customers appreciate the fact that TrackerBox isn't cloud based, and they have complete control over how and where it is stored.

You are right - maintaining multiple code bases is not optimal, but the alternatives, for me, are worse.

#13 ·
#20 ·
ilamont said:
Pledged $75! One of the only reasons I have a PC is just to run Trackerbox, so a Mac version would be wonderful.

As noted upthread, Mark is great on service, too.
Thanks! I do my best to follow up as fast as I can and get things working.

A.G.B said:
Pledged $75, hope it makes it!
Thanks! I hope it does, too. Just hit 50% funded!

#21 ·
#22 ·
#24 ·
#25 ·
Mark, thanks again for pushing this project forward. It really makes a big difference not only to Mac users, but also to any publisher who wants to store and analyze sensitive data locally, instead of in the cloud.

For authors and small publishers who are Mac-based, the $75 Kickstarter pledge is a fantastic option to get a powerful tool to help track royalties ... all you need to do for the most popular platforms (KDP, Smashwords, Apple, Createspace etc.) is upload their reports (usually in Excel or CSV format) and Trackerbox does the rest when it comes to tracking the data and providing some nice reporting functions. I use it to track royalties for all of my authors of IN 30 MINUTES guides.

Also, Mark, while I know it's a bit early to be asking for new features, I can't help myself :)

* One that would be very useful is a comparative reporting tool that shows gains/losses in currency or percentage from the previous period.
* Any other chart options besides line charts.

Thanks, and good luck crossing the finish line!

Ian 

#26 ·
ilamont said:
Mark, thanks again for pushing this project forward. It really makes a big difference not only to Mac users, but also to any publisher who wants to store and analyze sensitive data locally, instead of in the cloud.

For authors and small publishers who are Mac-based, the $75 Kickstarter pledge is a fantastic option to get a powerful tool to help track royalties ... all you need to do for the most popular platforms (KDP, Smashwords, Apple, Createspace etc.) is upload their reports (usually in Excel or CSV format) and Trackerbox does the rest when it comes to tracking the data and providing some nice reporting functions. I use it to track royalties for all of my authors of IN 30 MINUTES guides.

Also, Mark, while I know it's a bit early to be asking for new features, I can't help myself :)

* One that would be very useful is a comparative reporting tool that shows gains/losses in currency or percentage from the previous period.
* Any other chart options besides line charts.

Thanks, and good luck crossing the finish line!

Ian
Thanks Ian!

I have recently recognized the need for comparative reporting, but I was thinking only of year over year. I hadn't thought of other periods of time, so thanks for mentioning this. Also, you are not alone in wishing for something other than line graphs, so I'll be doing something with that in the future, too. I "might" do them at the same time as the Mac version, or I might wait to add them to both versions after the Mac version has caught up. I'll have to see how things go, I think, before committing to "when". Still, they're on my Trello board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.