Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Kindle Watch! -- New Oasis  (Read 14217 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Watch! -- New Oasis
« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2017, 05:31:42 AM »
I don't know... I have to admit I didn't even read the review yet. But maybe they got a reviewer's edition and didn't know about the option.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's possible . . . don't really see how else they could have played with it long enough for such a detailed review when they're mostly still on delivery trucks. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline astroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2017, 06:04:43 AM »
Hey now. Mine shipped last night. And my Echo just told me that my Oasis has arrived. And there it is, on my doorstep. 9AM. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. I'll be busy the next hour or ten.  :D :D :D :D :D

Offline quadtronix

• New York
    • View Profile

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2017, 06:23:11 AM »
Hey now. Mine shipped last night. And my Echo just told me that my Oasis has arrived. And there it is, on my doorstep. 9AM. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. I'll be busy the next hour or ten.  :D :D :D :D :D

So . . . . I feel the need . . . . to say . . .

I told you so. ;) :P

In fact, you're the first to report in as RECEIVED!

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline astroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2017, 06:42:22 AM »
I am appropriately chastened.  8)

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2017, 06:45:23 AM »
Just read that review and this caught my eye:

The other thing to note about the Kindle Oasis is that there's no "special offers". Lower tier Kindles get these adverts in exchange for a slightly cheaper price. On the Kindle Oasis you're spared that option.

I don't think that's true. The one I ordered I expect to come with Special Offers; I could have paid $20 more to get it without. Maybe the difference is they're a UK reviewer?

You're correct, Ann. Neither the Oasis nor the Voyage have a 'special offers' option in the UK - only the Paperwhite and the Basic Kindle. No idea why though.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2017, 06:55:30 AM »
For those in NYC, tracking says mine is out for Delivery from Masbeth, NY. In my experience, I tend to get packages that come from there before 1 or 2pm. Look forward to everyone's impressions. I'm stuck at work all day so hoping they leave it and don't require a signature otherwise i'll have to hunt it down after work.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Mikeb71

• Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2017, 06:59:28 AM »
Just got mine! Setting it up now, first impressions very positive!

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2017, 07:52:55 AM »
Beautiful, thanks for the quick impression Mikeb71. Fellow light critic as well. Do you feel it any different (perhaps better) than the Oasis lighting? Thoughts on the angle compared to that of the original?

And the reverse display? initial impression? how does it look using the lighting in that reverse form?
Stanley
=====

Offline Mikeb71

• Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2017, 08:02:46 AM »
Beautiful, thanks for the quick impression Mikeb71. Fellow light critic as well. Do you feel it any different (perhaps better) than the Oasis lighting? Thoughts on the angle compared to that of the original?

And the reverse display? initial impression? how does it look using the lighting in that reverse form?

The lighting is better than the first Oasis, more even from side to side. Not sure what you mean about the angle - things seem about the same, just a little bigger.

The reverse display seems ok - if you use the backlight, it all still 'lights up' a little, at least to my eyes, but it's much calmer in the dark. I'm not sure I'd use it, but until I read with the lights out, I can't fully judge it. But it looks good, the black is solid and even.

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2017, 08:12:43 AM »
back from Best Buy and I have set it up a little and it looks great, charging it...read a couple pages initially am blown away at the ease of reading and adjusting the fonts works well on 7", I like the larger size...I'll report more when I finish my chores and before my grand daughter show up...OH for you that have ordered at best buy and you get a still processing status, just go to the store and ask for it , they are short staffed and have them but the left hand hasn't told the right hand whats in or not, so ask...

Larry
Larry

Offline derek87

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2017, 08:18:00 AM »
odd but important question for me ;) ...

how comfortable is it to hold while lying on your back and holding with one hand? that is one thing that i was thinking of buying the first generation Oasis for. that's how i read with my PW3, and i hold it with one hand using my thumb and pointer finger in an L configuration. that works, but ultimately gets tiring after about 15-20 minutes. i am wondering if the weighting of hte oasis (almost same weight as PW3) would allow for a more comfortable reading session while lying on one's back...

Ok, some quick impressions from a picky Kindle user. Quick backstory - I've had lots of kindles, and I've almost swapped them all, at least once, because I was never super happy with the lighting, or there was some screen flaw my eyes couldn't unsee. That said:

The new Oasis is just about perfect. The lighting is even, no real noticeable gradient issues (but let's be real - e-ink lighting isn't like a smartphone either) or bright/dim spots - looks really good. Nothing distracting.

Mine just kicked in an update, FYI.

Quick thoughts:

It's heavier than the oasis, but nothing major. Definitely won't fit in your back pocket. The aluminum feels more premium I guess, but I never had a problem with the plastic of the original oasis. Feels good to hold, the balance is right.

I really like the increase in screen size. Feels more like a book to me. I appreciate more words on the page at a time. Text is crisp.

The auto-lighting is a bit aggressive for me, but I like to use it with no lighting at all unless I really need to, or just a touch. But this is based on where I am here at work, which is pretty bright. I'll need to use it at home to really see how it works, but it's not a dealbreaker regardless since I can still manually control it.

It's snappy!

The reverse display toggle (black with white text) is located under the accessibility settings. Not super quick to get to, but nothing major. Unless I missed a shortcut.

I got the cloth case, it's fine, the ability to have it stand up while reading is nice. Adds a little weight, so I'd probably remove it while reading in bed or holding the oasis for long periods. Case seems sturdy and well made, does not cover 100% of the device, just like the original oasis.

Still has the little gap in the bezel that stuff can get trapped in.

Of course, all of these thoughts are just quick impressions, I'm sure I'll have more. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

TL;DR - the 2017 Oasis is a winner, and maybe the first (or second) Kindle/e-reader I'm not sending back for a replacement!

Offline Mikeb71

• Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2017, 08:22:39 AM »
odd but important question for me ;) ...

how comfortable is it to hold while lying on your back and holding with one hand? that is one thing that i was thinking of buying the first generation Oasis for. that's how i read with my PW3, and i hold it with one hand using my thumb and pointer finger in an L configuration. that works, but ultimately gets tiring after about 15-20 minutes. i am wondering if the weighting of hte oasis (almost same weight as PW3) would allow for a more comfortable reading session while lying on one's back...

I can let you know tomorrow! The first gen is going to be smaller and lighter for sure, but I don't think it's a huge added weight. I will say the first gen is your best bet if you want the lightest option. However, the Oasis (both) are balanced differently than the Paperwhite, which I think makes a difference. They really shine for one-handed reading.

Offline crisandria

• CT
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2017, 08:31:54 AM »
Ive got my new kindle!!!  UPS did deliver early again.  Must be a new driver, Im not complaining.
Its in the process of updating the software, then i get to side load some content and start downloading the books i want on it.   Its going to be a LONG rest of the day at work.  Lol
crisandria

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2017, 08:58:55 AM »
The lighting is better than the first Oasis, more even from side to side.

That is awesome news...Just out of curiosity are you referring to one side being better lit or something else?
Stanley
=====

Offline derek87

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2017, 09:01:36 AM »
I can let you know tomorrow! The first gen is going to be smaller and lighter for sure, but I don't think it's a huge added weight. I will say the first gen is your best bet if you want the lightest option. However, the Oasis (both) are balanced differently than the Paperwhite, which I think makes a difference. They really shine for one-handed reading.

thanks. i'd love to get your impressions as well as those of others who get their hands on one. i know the 1st gen is awesome for this but i'd like to get the 2nd gen if the weighting does make it seem natural and comfortable.

Offline C.F.

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2017, 09:51:04 AM »
I ordered the day it was announced but then changed my mind--twice--about which configuration I wanted. I made my final order on the 21st and had an estimated delivery of Nov. 7th with free Prime shipping. I decided late Sunday night to change the shipping to 1-day since it was only $3.99 and experience shows that when I'm waiting impatiently for a package, my husband always wishes I had just spent the extra four bucks for faster shipping. Well, changing it to 1-day shipping gave me a delivery day of Oct. 31! Definitely worth the $3.99.

I just got an email saying they're encountering a delay with the shipping so they're going to refund me my shipping charge. So I figure I'm still going to get it way earlier than I planned and I'm not getting charged any extra, yay! I still wish I was getting it today, and on the orders page it still says it's preparing for shipment and arriving today, but I really can't complain. I guess I'll just have to entertain myself with unboxing videos! (Or I could finish writing the book that's due to the editor this week...)

Offline GSDlady

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2017, 09:51:40 AM »
Mine just arrived. It's lovely. The screen is even with no cones or shadows on the side (and I'm one of those picky ones). The screen is warmer than my Voyage in comparison but looks fine when reading on it and not looking at it side by side with the Voyage. I got the Amazon merlot case and it is beautiful! The texture is soft like last year's walnut case so I guess it will get some scratches. The kickstand works well. I don't have the update yet. Overall I'm very happy with it. It's a winner!

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2017, 10:01:20 AM »
Mine just arrived. It's lovely. The screen is even with no cones or shadows on the side (and I'm one of those picky ones). The screen is warmer than my Voyage in comparison but looks fine when reading on it and not looking at it side by side with the Voyage. I got the Amazon merlot case and it is beautiful! The texture is soft like last year's walnut case so I guess it will get some scratches. The kickstand works well. I don't have the update yet. Overall I'm very happy with it. It's a winner!

Beautiful!!! Excited to see the cases in hand. what are the differences in Oasis lighting old vs new generation? Mine just got delivered but can't get home till 6. gahh!!!!! happy some of you are settling in with new ones!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 10:09:32 AM by northofdivision »
Stanley
=====

Offline Jen200

• OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2017, 10:04:02 AM »
Mine has arrived and is updating now. The screen is beautiful. I will spend the afternoon reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online jkingrph

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2017, 10:11:49 AM »
I was just looking at shipping, mine is free two business days.  I can change it to one day for $8 more, so I will just leave as is, and hope for Nov 24.

Offline Lizzarddance

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2017, 10:12:19 AM »
Has anyone tried listening to a book?
Since March '08

Offline TJoseph

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2017, 10:14:40 AM »
I got my new Oasis this morning. It is charging, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I have only added it to WiFi and disabled special offers so far. I got the tan cover. It has a suede texture. I am not sure if I will like that yet, but I don't hate it.

Offline Lizzarddance

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2017, 10:15:39 AM »
Anyone have the merlot cover? What is the texture like?
Since March '08

Offline Ragdoll12

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2017, 10:42:36 AM »
Has anyone tried listening to a book?
Audible was the feature that made me want to get it. I got mine yesterday, and I love it! I had a Voyage and liked it too, but now even w/o audible I'd get the new Oasis. I used my Apple EarPods and it works great!!!