Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Kindle Watch! -- New Oasis  (Read 14152 times)  

Online Lizzarddance

• Arizona
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Watch! -- New Oasis
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2017, 10:58:43 AM »
Audible was the feature that made me want to get it. I got mine yesterday, and I love it! I had a Voyage and liked it too, but now even w/o audible I'd get the new Oasis. I used my Apple EarPods and it works great!!!

Awesome, thanks for the review. I have to wait till the end of November for mine. I'm enjoying everyone's reviews.
Since March '08

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2017, 11:06:05 AM »
Mine was delivered!!!

But I'm not home :(

For those asking about Special Offers, if you got the 3G (or whatever they are calling it) you had to bump the memory and it took off the Special Offers.

Someone start a First Impressions thread so we can keep it separate from KindleWatch!

Offline GSDlady

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2017, 11:59:35 AM »
Anyone have the merlot cover? What is the texture like?

I have the Merlot cover. It is beautiful but the texture is soft like the Walnut last year so I guess it will scratch easily. Still happy with it however.

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 31, 2017, 12:14:30 PM »
First impressions.  A little heavier but still can be handled by one hand.  No visible, to me, cones, light appears even.  Color of screen is warmer.  I actually prefer the cooler white of the first Oasis but not a deal breaker.  Logically I know I have fewer page turns with more content per page but in reality I turn the page when I have read that page so not really noticeable.  Holding the two side by side definitely shows the size difference. 

The aluminum back feels a little slippy but has not fallen out of my hand.  I may miss the rubber back of the original. 

Wish they used a battery per cent instead of the old battery display but can't have everything.
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Online Lizzarddance

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2017, 12:16:10 PM »
I have the Merlot cover. It is beautiful but the texture is soft like the Walnut last year so I guess it will scratch easily. Still happy with it however.

Thank you. I had the walnut cover and merlot for the old Oasis and actually preferred the texture of the walnut. Looks like I'll be getting the merlot.
Since March '08

Offline chele162

• Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2017, 12:24:37 PM »
Just as I expected, no Kindles for my mom and I today. :( I don't understand why Amazon sent our Kindles UPS ground on Sunday evening. The package had to make it from NJ all the way to Illinois. There's no way that is going to happen. I'm a Prime member, so I'm paying for 2 day shipping and this definitely wasn't sent two day. I'll be calling them after work to complain about it. I understand if the product is backordered or even bad weather but this is neither case. They were just cheap and went with the least expensive shipping method. So bummed.

I am however glad to be able to read all the reviews. I'm so glad to see so many positive things being said about it. Hopefully mine will arrive tomorrow.

Online Lizzarddance

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 31, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
I just ordered the merlot cover and it's not avialable till December.  :'( Must be the cover of choice.
Since March '08

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2017, 12:41:15 PM »

Rats. I ordered one, and in that case it will be going back the day it arrives. I read the description carefully before ordering looking for anything that said it was suede or suede-like and couldn't find it. I love the merlot cover for my Oasis 1, but also have a walnut cover and don't care for it at all. Don't want a cloth cover either, but I do want a cover. Since my Oasis isn't coming until Thanksgiving, I guess I'll just wait and see what the 3d party vendors come up with.

Offline Anastayja

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2017, 12:48:33 PM »
Yay! Finally shipped and will be here tomorrow!! Was getting jealous of everyone else. All smiles now!!! [emoji16]

Online Lizzarddance

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »
Rats. I ordered one, and in that case it will be going back the day it arrives. I read the description carefully before ordering looking for anything that said it was suede or suede-like and couldn't find it. I love the merlot cover for my Oasis 1, but also have a walnut cover and don't care for it at all. Don't want a cloth cover either, but I do want a cover. Since my Oasis isn't coming until Thanksgiving, I guess I'll just wait and see what the 3d party vendors come up with.

Maybe if more people send theirs in I might get mine sooner. :)  Personally I like the look of distressed leather so I'm looking forward to it.
Since March '08

Offline spiritedcharm

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2017, 01:21:27 PM »
For anyone who has a pending order, DONT CHANGE YOUR PAYMENT METHOD! I was supposed to get my cover today, and since it hadnt shipped yet, I thought it was safe to change the payment method - WRONG! My estimated delivery is now November 27 - UGH. I called about it and she said it treats it like a new order when you change the payment method. I dont know if I believe that because I also changed the payment method of my Oasis and the delivery date still says November 14.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2017, 01:48:17 PM »
For anyone who has a pending order, DONT CHANGE YOUR PAYMENT METHOD! I was supposed to get my cover today, and since it hadnt shipped yet, I thought it was safe to change the payment method - WRONG! My estimated delivery is now November 27 - UGH. I called about it and she said it treats it like a new order when you change the payment method. I dont know if I believe that because I also changed the payment method of my Oasis and the delivery date still says November 14.
So sorry. I remember these things happening on orders years back. Its why I do not touch an order once its placed. You might try calling again and getting another person. Worth a try.

Mine wasn't suppose to get here until Friday, but now it says I'll get it tomorrow. Would be great, but unfortunately it is being shipped by AMZL delivery service and I will be in a hospital waiting room from noon into into evening. So either they will leave the package on my front door steps, which in that case it will be a miracle its still there when I get home, or they'll drop it off the managers office and then I can't get to it until the next day. Sigh.

There is very little chance they'll get to it in the morning, they never do. Here they use the same "drivers" for the AMZL service than they do the prime now stuff, so its just folks with their own car. I wish they had used UPS. I thought by getting one day ship I had a higher chance of getting a proper delivery service.

Nothing I can do about it now.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline C.F.

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 31, 2017, 02:00:09 PM »
Mine still says shipping today and arriving today even though I got an email that it's delayed. I'm a little concerned that it hasn't updated. I'm worried it might be stuck in some strange limbo. :(

Offline quadtronix

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2017, 03:04:30 PM »
Got my new Oasis a little while ago... set it up, downloaded some of my books and now its just finishing charging...

Cant wait to start reading on it!! [emoji106][emoji16][emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Jaasy

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2017, 03:21:56 PM »
Got mine today, loving it so far.  I had merlot before so I decided to get a gray one, love it! it looks crisp and clear, heavier but I can deal with that. Will probably trade my old one in.

Offline spiritedcharm

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2017, 03:38:42 PM »
Well, so much for getting my Oasis today from Best Buy. When I ordered, it said available for pickup on 10/31. Today I got an email apologizing for the unanticipated delay with no estimated delivery date. Booooo! Good thing I didnt cancel my Amazon order and lose my place in line for November 14 (hopefully).

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2017, 03:45:21 PM »
Found out from MobiReads post that you can get % of battery by choosing Settings, Accessibility, Display Size, Large.  It did not appear to make much difference, if any, in font size but adds % to battery display.
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2017, 03:59:31 PM »
I ordered the Oasis and Merlot cover last week.  Kindle is supposed to arrive Nov 24, cover is supposed to be here today??

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
  • Happy Voyage, Oasis and Oasis2 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2017, 04:23:27 PM »
Found out from MobiReads post that you can get % of battery by choosing Settings, Accessibility, Display Size, Large.  It did not appear to make much difference, if any, in font size but adds % to battery display.

Thanks for the info ShinyTop.  I love being able to see the % of battery left.

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2017, 04:37:56 PM »
I ordered the Oasis and Merlot cover last week.  Kindle is supposed to arrive Nov 24, cover is supposed to be here today??

Looked closer under orders and it says entire order, including cover, not shipped, yet the cover says it estimates delivery today???

Offline Toby

• MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2017, 04:56:52 PM »
Thanks shinytop for the percentage info. as well. I lost wifi due to hurricane winds the night before. Didnt hae wifi yesterday & this morning. I couldnt get on the internet. Today, after it was fixed, I checked my cc. Yes, it got pinged. I checked my email. Yes, its out for delivery. Then I raced back and forth to open door & check as well as checking out or delivery. Came around 1:50. Unboxed quickly. I skipped the wifi at first. Big mistake. Update I clicked it off. I then raced to get my wifi router password. Couldnt find download update in. device info. Thankfully, after awhile, I got the update message. I got the update. Then, my kindle was freezing, so I rebooted. Still not good. I plugged it in. The battery was less than half. Still freezing. I rebooted. It worked. Then I downloaded a lot of books. Review later. No more time for exploring tonight.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 31, 2017, 05:04:03 PM »
:o Mine seemed frozen. So I held the button to restart . . . now updating . . . .

Question: those of you who got the cover . . . does it have the 'auto on' feature with the cover?

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 31, 2017, 05:35:44 PM »

I actually think it makes a fair amount of difference in what shows on the home page, but it depends a little bit on what settings you use.

In standard, you have one large book cover, and two small stacked. Next to that, reading lists shows 3 titles. Below are recommendations; five covers/titles show. On the next page, if you use list view, you see 8 items on a page; grid view shows 6.

With it on 'large', you see one large and two small book covers side by side, and only one title in 'reading lists'. You still see 5 covers in recommendations. On the next page you only see 5 in list view, but you still see 6 in grid view.

Interestingly, I feel like, when set to 'large', the menu icons along the top seem smaller. Go figure. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline GSDlady

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2017, 05:38:37 PM »
:o Mine seemed frozen. So I held the button to restart . . . now updating . . . .

Question: those of you who got the cover . . . does it have the 'auto on' feature with the cover?

Yes, it turns on when you open the cover.

Offline C.F.

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2017, 06:37:41 PM »
Just got the email that it's shipped! It's supposed to arrive tomorrow.