Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Kindle Watch! -- New Oasis  (Read 14230 times)  

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Watch! -- New Oasis
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2017, 07:10:08 PM »
Ann, mine was cold when I opened it right after it was delivered.

I just changed my setting to Large Display Size to have the percentage charged. I'd charged it fully this afternoon; it's at 96% now. I have not connected to wi-fi in the office (where I am now until 12:30am).

Just noticed that when I open the cover,  the back is only staying on by the magnet, so it is pretty easy for the Oasis to come away from the cover while reading, say if I'm on the train and we have a sudden stop or derailment (hopefully I'm being far fetched about that), or I'm holding it open while changing trains and someone bumps me (that does happen but rarely).  I suppose the original Oasis cover worked the same way with magnet. I didn't have the first Oasis.

I'm noticing the same thing. The Charcoal cloth one that I have is vulnerable to twisting off a little more easily than my previous Oasis. It's gonna take a little extra TLC and  being a little more gentle to it. The exposed metal on the backside is also at some risk for scratches when on metal tables unlike the plastic back of before.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline John Hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2017, 01:18:02 AM »
I actually think it makes a fair amount of difference in what shows on the home page, but it depends a little bit on what settings you use.

In standard, you have one large book cover, and two small stacked. Next to that, reading lists shows 3 titles. Below are recommendations; five covers/titles show. On the next page, if you use list view, you see 8 items on a page; grid view shows 6.

With it on 'large', you see one large and two small book covers side by side, and only one title in 'reading lists'. You still see 5 covers in recommendations. On the next page you only see 5 in list view, but you still see 6 in grid view.

Interestingly, I feel like, when set to 'large', the menu icons along the top seem smaller. Go figure. :)
I noticed that, and I like the look of the homescreen on this setting, with the % as a bonus.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2017, 01:28:07 AM »
I'm noticing the same thing. The Charcoal cloth one that I have is vulnerable to twisting off a little more easily than my previous Oasis. It's gonna take a little extra TLC and  being a little more gentle to it. The exposed metal on the backside is also at some risk for scratches when on metal tables unlike the plastic back of before.

I was at my desk at work when the back came off of the Oasis. Later on the train home I read on it and it stayed on. Not sure what I did that made the back come off; maybe I pulled the cover back.
New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2017, 05:23:32 AM »
ALERT -- I split some posts out of this Kindle Watch thread and put them in a dedicated First Impressions thread: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,257539.0.html

If you see any others that you feel should be moved, report 'em and I'll take a look.

Carry on, Watchers! :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline C.F.

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2017, 12:22:13 PM »
Got mine! Thanks for the tip about changing the display size to get a percentage next to the battery. Mine came with a 60% charge. My last Kindle was a Paperwhite, and I'm loving the page-turn buttons! I also like the bigger display. I'm glad I don't have the first Oasis to compare to because I like little things, but I've been wanting a bigger Kindle display for a while. I don't know how comfortable it's going to be to hold long term, but I like that you can easily switch hands if one gets tired.

The sleeve I was planning to use is a tighter fit than I'd like, so I'm going to be shopping around for something else. I really hope more options pop up on Amazon soon.

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2017, 05:58:09 AM »
My order for the Oasis and Merlot cover stated the cover would be delivered by Oct 31(not).  Yesterday, Nov 1 I got a notice that it was delayed and should now be delivered Nov 19, 5 days after the Oasis.

Offline spiritedcharm

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2017, 06:45:12 AM »
So this is interesting. I pre-ordered the day before release from Best Buy because they said it would be available on release day. Release day came and no Oasis for me in the store (I even went in to check). I got a notice late that evening (which I already posted about) that it was delayed indefinitely and they would cancel the order if they couldnt get it by NOVEMBER 30.

This morning I check Best Buy and their website said in stock and available for pickup today (same store). My original order status was still showing delayed. I placed a second order (using my BB credit card this time) and a short time later, got an email that my second order is ready for pickup now! My previous order was still showing delayed? WTH? I cancelled the original and will be picking up my Oasis this afternoon. I wonder if charging to my Best Buy card gave me some kind of strange priority? I will be asking a manager about that when I pick up my second order today.

Online Patricia

• Northwestern New Jersey
  • Enjoy Today...It will not come again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 04, 2017, 02:08:28 PM »
My new Oasis was due to arrive on Nov. 13 with one day shipping, but it's getting ready to ship soon.  Expected date to arrive is now Nov. 7, so it looks like they've pushed up the arrival dates. 

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2017, 03:01:13 PM »
I certainly hope they are pushing up delivery dates, although mine is still showing Nov 24th.

Offline mishymac

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 04, 2017, 04:15:29 PM »
My new Oasis was due to arrive on Nov. 13 with one day shipping, but it's getting ready to ship soon.  Expected date to arrive is now Nov. 7, so it looks like they've pushed up the arrival dates. 
I have the same original arrival dates, but just checked my order and it's still saying due to arrive Nov 13.....wish they'd fast track my order :(

Offline sseverus

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 05, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »
Delivery dates are indeed being pushed up. At least it happened to me. I ordered the new Oasis one day after it was announced and was given an expected delivery date of Nov. 14th. Early last week I got a message that the delivery date had been moved up to Fri. Nov. 3rd. It actually arrived on Thu. Nov. 2nd.

Online Patricia

• Northwestern New Jersey
  • Enjoy Today...It will not come again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 05, 2017, 01:46:40 PM »
Yes, mine has shipped and the delivery date is now tomorrow.  Can't wait!

Offline kerrycrow

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 05, 2017, 06:15:27 PM »
Delivery dates are indeed being pushed up. At least it happened to me. I ordered the new Oasis one day after it was announced and was given an expected delivery date of Nov. 14th. Early last week I got a message that the delivery date had been moved up to Fri. Nov. 3rd. It actually arrived on Thu. Nov. 2nd.

This has been what I have experienced every K  since K1!  (which is the only one I have saved although my husband still has one of my Paperwhites).  I keep checking my orders to see if it has moved up from Nov 21 delivery.  I could have it from my local BB tomorrow, BUT between the trade in on my Oasis 1 and some gift cards, I can get the purchase of this new Kindle down under $100.  Which means my husband will not even notice that the new Kindle is in circulation at home.  If I got and buy it at BB tomorrow he will most certainly ask about what it was that I bought.  Oh what I go through to hide my Kindle addiction.

Offline DD

• K1,K2,KK,Touch,FireHD,PW2, Voyage,Oasis1,Oasis2
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 06, 2017, 06:35:24 AM »
Ok, I caved and ordered the 32 GB, Wi-Fi + Cellular, no SO. Delivery date Nov 30. I did not order a cover because I really dislike the origami design. Ill wait for a hard shell case by one of the 3rd party companies.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH DAMN, SHE'S UP!". ~Member #484

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 06, 2017, 12:46:22 PM »
Ok, I caved and ordered the 32 GB, Wi-Fi + Cellular, no SO. Delivery date Nov 30. I did not order a cover because I really dislike the origami design. Ill wait for a hard shell case by one of the 3rd party companies.

FWIW, the new Oasis standing cover is nothing like the Voayge origami cover. This one only has one crease that twists and even then much, much less than the all-around flappy Voyage origami cover. The new Oasis cover works perfectly well as a normal cover - though of course it does leave the one third of the back of the device a bit exposed.

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 06, 2017, 12:49:35 PM »

The new Oasis is now my third magnetic Kindle cover (the previous ones being the Voyage origami cover and the first Oasis cover), so unless there are unit-to-unit differences at play, I would say this one may be the easiest of the three to pull apart, but still by no means do they come apart easily IMO.

So, for me the new Oasis cover (cloth) is solid when connected to the Kindle. I'd wager that if the do come loose easily, they weren't - for whatever reason - well connected at that time (something got in the middle etc.).

Offline DD

• K1,K2,KK,Touch,FireHD,PW2, Voyage,Oasis1,Oasis2
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 06, 2017, 03:17:25 PM »
FWIW, the new Oasis standing cover is nothing like the Voayge origami cover. This one only has one crease that twists and even then much, much less than the all-around flappy Voyage origami cover. The new Oasis cover works perfectly well as a normal cover - though of course it does leave the one third of the back of the device a bit exposed.

Thanks for this info.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH DAMN, SHE'S UP!". ~Member #484

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2017, 09:36:53 PM »
Well, I just got an email from Amazon changing my delivery date from November 22-24 to the 16th or 17th. Aside from earlier, not-Thanksgiving-weekend is better.

Offline kerrycrow

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 10, 2017, 07:16:26 AM »
I got an email saying mine would be delivered the 15th instead of the 21st.  But it hasn't shipped yet so we'll see if it really happens.  I actually would prefer the original date as I will be out of town when it comes and I now need to ask someone to collect it from my front door step so it doesn't sit there for days....

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #195 on: November 12, 2017, 02:47:53 PM »
Just got an email saying my O2 has shipped and will be delivered the 15th instead of the 17th. That makes me wonder if it has something to do with my recent mistake that got me the free 30-day Prime subscription. Whatever. I hope it really happens.

Offline GirlFriday

• Love One Another
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 12, 2017, 08:02:46 PM »
My Oasis was delivered a couple of hours ago.  :)
Proud owner of a Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, and Phone X

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #197 on: November 14, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »
Yes! Mine was delivered in the mail a little while ago - and the mail was hours earlier today than yesterday. I probably can't give first impressions until I get my case, which should be end of this week or beginning of next because I'm an always in the case reader, but IMO the screen is not "a little" larger, but noticeably, gloriously so.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 14, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »
Yes! Mine was delivered in the mail a little while ago - and the mail was hours earlier today than yesterday. I probably can't give first impressions until I get my case, which should be end of this week or beginning of next because I'm an always in the case reader, but IMO the screen is not "a little" larger, but noticeably, gloriously so.
Yay  ;D

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 15, 2017, 12:33:20 PM »
I just got an email updating my delivery to Nov 20, from Nov 24!

Now about four hours later I looked at track my order and it says shipping today and arriving Fri Nov 17, no e mail notification though.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:25:56 PM by jkingrph »