Author Topic: Oasis 2017 -- options to the Amazon cases  (Read 9402 times)  

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Oasis 2017 -- options to the Amazon cases
« on: October 21, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »
I've found two; I expect there will be more:

This one is the kind the kindle slips in so you see the leather cover around the frame of the screen. Multiple colors.

This is the 'smart shell' type that should snap to the Oasis. Also, multiple colors.

Both are currently priced at $7.95 plus $5.95 for shipping. I've not heard of IVSO before as a kindle cover company . . . . The second is the sort of thing I'm looking for, but I think I'll wait until some are actually manufactured/purchased/reviewed.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline shalym

• New England
    • View Profile
Re: Oasis 2017 -- options to the Amazon cases
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 09:23:02 AM »
Here's one from Fintie https://www.amazon.com/Fintie-Folio-Case-Kindle-Oasis/dp/B01EY7SATC/ref=pd_sbs_400_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2KWMZ0QQRFK91XGY799Z  They're the manufacturer that I usually choose for 3rd party covers.  This one is a slide in cover.

There's also this one from MoKo that is a snap in  https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Case-Kindle-Oasis-Lightweight/dp/B01EHSKEUQ/ref=pd_sbs_400_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KKAFTNEKZFT5JGZPRCC5

Shari

Edit to add:  Well, it looks like those are both for the 2016 Oasis.  Oh well...hopefully they will come out with ones for the newest Oasis, and if they can connect magnetically, that would be AMAZING!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:24:27 AM by shalym »
my read shelf on goodreads:

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 12:24:32 PM »
yes -- I like fintie -- hope they come out with one for the 2017 version

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline CarolineAM

• Bay Shore, NY
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Page on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 06:08:27 PM »
Does anyone know if Oberon Designs plans on coming out with a cover for the new Oasis?  I have the original Oasis but rarely use it as I REALLY love my Oberon covers...  Is there any Oberon product that might be able to be repurposed for the new 2017 Oasis?

>^..^<   CarolineAM
Kindle Voyage, Oasis, New Oasis
Kindle Fire 7" HDX and 6" HD

Offline Tunji99

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 05:28:57 PM »
For anyone interested just found this sleeve designed specifically for the New Oasis

https://www.amazon.com/WALNEW-Kindle-Sleeve-Protective-Insert/dp/B076H11FL7/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1509236584&sr=8-37&keywords=Kindle%2Boasis%2B2017%2Bcover&th=1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Neo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 05:40:16 AM »
Does anyone know if Oberon Designs plans on coming out with a cover for the new Oasis?  I have the original Oasis but rarely use it as I REALLY love my Oberon covers...  Is there any Oberon product that might be able to be repurposed for the new 2017 Oasis?

Same here - well, I've used my Oasis, but I've been missing my Oberon the whole time :(. I've written to them a week ago, but haven't heard back yet, so I just sent them a follow-up email  ;D

I will update if I hear back from them  :)

Offline KingAl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »

Offline Deskisamess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 04:04:06 PM »
Thanks Al, good finds!

Offline etexlady

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 05:47:23 AM »
Don't forget to check Etsy.  Just searched there for Kindle Oasis 17 and lots of cases appeared.  Mainly cloth.  Some are folio type cases, also some sleeves.

Offline kschles

• Laurel, Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 01:34:11 PM »
Reviews are beginning to trickle in for the official Amazon Oasis case (both fabric and leather), and its not pretty. Lots of criticism about weak magnets resulting in a cover that comes off too easily, as well as a stand function that does not work well. Hope third party covers provide some choices.
Ken

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
This is the first time that I have purchased an Amazon case.  I've always bought third party cases and sometimes had to purchase a few before I got one that really suited me.   This time I thought as long as I was paying so much for the Oasis, I might as well indulge myself and get a quality case and so I ordered the charcoal cloth one.  I got it yesterday and I am so disappointed.  It fell off twice and I have no idea why.  It just seemed to slip off while I was reading. I have never liked reading without a case to grip but gripping this case might result in a dropped Oasis. :(

Offline OnOneWheel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »
Amazon Blue cloth cover here - meh. Well made but stand functionality is too wobbly and stands up too straight. Does seem a little easy to pop off at times. With the Oasis I seem to prefer reading without the cover so I will probably look for a sleeve for transporting. It is too wide for the sleeve that I use for the 7” Fire.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 02:32:02 PM by OnOneWheel »

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 07:34:50 PM »
The Amazon cases are pretty expensive -- I didn't order one, but if I did and found it didn't stay attached, I think I'd return it as defective for a refund.

edited to add:

WOW! I was just looking on the Zon to see if anything else had been put up for sale yet and WOW WOW WOW the reviews for the Amazon branded case, whether cloth or leather, are HORRIBLE. Most are 1 or 2 star and there are NO 5 star reviews for either one. Consistent complaints are that neither version holds very tightly, the leather one shows scratches easily, and they're expensive.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:45:36 AM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 06:00:22 AM »
The Amazon cases are pretty expensive -- I didn't order one, but if I did and found it didn't stay attached, I think I'd return it as defective for a refund.

edited for clarity of quotation--Ann

Actually I don't think I got a "defective" case.  I do believe they were designed that way for quick release for people who like to read without the case.  Quick release may be a desirable feature but not when it is inadvertent. :(  I just filled out the return form this morning. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:04:41 AM by Susan J »

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 06:08:09 AM »
Actually I don't think I got a "defective" case.  I do believe they were designed that way for quick release for people who like to read without the case.  Quick release may be a desirable feature but not when it is inadvertent. :(  I just filled out the return form this morning. 

Oh, I agree that it works as designed. But it sounds to me like the design is flawed. My thing would be I would not want to have to pay return shipping for a product that does not work the way I expect it to do. If I just don't like it, that's a different thing.

So: if the design is flawed, I call that defective, and I'd absolutely push for a return with no cost to me.

FWIW, the original Oasis has a pretty quick release on the case. But, at the same time, it doesn't just fall off if you hold the kindle and shake it. You've got to shake really hard for it to come loose. (At least, such is the case with mine.) Comparing the two, the original has 4 obvious contact points which, I'm sure, are to do with the battery. But they definitely mean the thing holds on pretty good. The Oasis is just smooth aluminum, and presumably the magnets are underneath. And it sounds like they just don't hold as well.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 06:26:56 AM »
Yes, I chose the option that got free return shipping since it's not being returned on a whim.  Now for the long wait for a great cover.  My Voyage cover was by ACase and I loved it. I've had most of the most popular third party brands on my previous Kindles and other tablets.  I have never had an IVSO case.

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 06:43:43 AM »
I bought the Amazon water resistant case and it looks nice but the magnet isn't strong enough and detaches a lot.  My first Oasis never does that.  I'm returning it and waiting.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 06:55:12 AM »
Yes, I chose the option that got free return shipping since it's not being returned on a whim.  Now for the long wait for a great cover.  My Voyage cover was by ACase and I loved it. I've had most of the most popular third party brands on my previous Kindles and other tablets.  I have never had an IVSO case.

I've had Fintie and MoKo and been pleased with both, and heard good things about ACase. Don't know anything either about IVSO -- I check every day to see if there's anything new available. :D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »
I have almost 3 weeks before getting the Oasis, so I'm hoping there are more 3d party case choices by then. Maybe there will be reviews of the Ivso case that make it sound reasonable, but the fact the descriptions are obviously written by someone whose English is poor doesn't give confidence.

Offline kschles

• Laurel, Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 01:11:48 PM »
Ive got the blue fabric case, and am disappointed by how easily the case can detach; as well as poor stand function. Surprised Amazon OKd such a mediocre product to go with such a good Kindle. Hoping that once I get a skin, Ill like reading the Kindle sans cover.
Ken

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 02:30:00 PM »
Moko just announced one in black.  I have had Moko cases before.  They are very nice but after a few years, they do deteriorate and pieces of the cover flake off.  It's not expensive $10 plus $5 shipping.  In stock on November 11th.

https://smile.amazon.com/MoKo-All-New-Generation-Release-reader/dp/B0771GQ3X3/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1509744250&sr=8-37&keywords=cover+for+2017+Kindle+Oasis+9th+generation

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 10:31:53 AM »
While waiting for a cover or case I like, I found a partial solution to the cold/slippery metal back:

Actually, someone else suggested something like it in another thread, but I can't find where. :( Anyway, it's a page of plastic grippy strips. You can get black, but I went for clear as less obtrusive. You peel 'em off the paper and stick 'em to the flat part of a device.

They don't help much with the coldness, because they don't cover the whole section and can't wrap around a curved edge, but I am no longer as worried about accidentally dropping the thing if I don't carry it very carefully. I used a couple of the bigger ones on the Oasis17 and decided to put a couple of the strips on my Oasis16 as well.

I'm hoping they'll not interfere with any case I subsequently get. Anyway, for about $14 I thought it was worth a try.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 02:57:41 PM »

Actually, someone else suggested something like it in another thread, but I can't find where. :( Anyway, it's a page of plastic grippy strips. You can get black, but I went for clear as less obtrusive. You peel 'em off the paper and stick 'em to the flat part of a device.

Here it is: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,257539.msg3586819.html#msg3586819

I don't have the Oasis 2 yet, but my plan is that if it's cold/slippery, I'll put one of those small pads exactly where needed to fix the problem. That way, I won't add much weight.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline DD

• K1,K2,KK,Touch,FireHD,PW2, Voyage,Oasis1,Oasis2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »
I haven't purchased a cover.  I'm hoping for one of the companies to make something like this for the Oasis 2.  I have two of these for my Voyage and I love them.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH DAMN, SHE'S UP!". ~Member #484

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 05:49:30 AM »
Has anyone seen any good new cases come out for the new Oasis?  I don't like reading without a cover but I didn't like the Amazon cover at all.