Author Topic: Oasis 2017 -- options to the Amazon cases  (Read 9376 times)  

Offline spiritedcharm

• View Profile
Re: Oasis 2017 -- options to the Amazon cases
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2017, 03:55:58 PM »
The Amazon covers are still available

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2017, 08:08:56 AM »
Ive got a Moko coming, and am hopeful. Anyone else having problems with the Fintie case?

My Fintie does't seem insecure, but its weight bothers me. My memory is that the Fintie Voyage cover was a very lightweight shell. According to the stats on the product pages, the Moko isn't enough lighter to matter, but everyone who has one seems to think it's light, and the figures they post seem to verify that so I'm considering trying one.

Offline kschles

• Laurel, Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2017, 01:06:08 PM »
My Fintie does't seem insecure, but its weight bothers me. My memory is that the Fintie Voyage cover was a very lightweight shell. According to the stats on the product pages, the Moko isn't enough lighter to matter, but everyone who has one seems to think it's light, and the figures they post seem to verify that so I'm considering trying one.

My Moko arrives tomorrow, so I can compare the weight vs the Fintie; and let you know what I think.
Ken

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2017, 03:30:32 PM »
I got a Kobo hard shell case delivered yesterday and IMO it is much better than the Amazon leather case.  The Kindle Oasis 2017 snaps into the rear half and is fully cradled except for small cutouts for the USB port and power switch.  Provides much greater protection for the reader and the back of the reader is fully covered.  Definitely an improvement in my opinion.

Offline kschles

• Laurel, Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2017, 06:30:59 AM »
Got my Moko. Really like it. Both the Moko and Fintie are heavier than the Amazon cover. Not too much difference between the two of them.  Once you get used to using one of these covers exclusively, the weight doesnt seem that big a deal. For me, the Moko works better than the Fintie. The Fintie cover easily opens, thus turning on the Oasis, when Im carrying the Kindle in a bag or briefcase. Ive noticed that when I close the Fintie, the top doesnt align perfectly with the bottom, which might explain my cover problem. The Moko and the Amazon cover dont have this problem. Right now, its the Moko for me.

Since Amazon has stopped offering their covers (some used ones are available from third party sellers), I wonder if they will eventually come out with a new cover design.
Ken

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2017, 10:45:47 AM »
Thanks for the Moko information, kschles. I will try a Moko case eventually, but if the weight difference isn't noticeable, I'll wait and see if they put out more design choices as what they have now doesn't appeal that much. My Oasis 1 will be the one that leaves the house, so falling open in my purse isn't a problem with my Fintie cover.

Offline kerrycrow

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2017, 04:34:34 AM »
I have been using the Fintie cover for over a week.  Can not get comfortable with it ...too heavy for me .  It weigh 143 g and the oasis 2 weighs 191 g.  It just seems bulky and clunky.  Ill be going back to a sleeve I think.  The padding on the front cover makes it even bulkier for the weight .  It does hold securely.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 04:46:14 AM by kerrycrow »

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2017, 05:50:08 AM »
I had the Fintie case that was padded and didn't like it so I ordered the below.  I just got it a few days ago and like it a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777HMXBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline DD

• K1,K2,KK,Touch,FireHD,PW2, Voyage,Oasis1,Oasis2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2017, 04:50:17 PM »
I bought the Fintie and sent it back. There was a sizeable chip in the plastic frame that fits around the Kindle. Also, I was not happy with the quality of the construction. The front cover didnt meet the edge of the back cover when closed. It gave it a cheap look. The padding gave a cheap shiny vinyl look to the PU leather and the magnet was weak.
I ordered the MoKu and am much happier with it.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH DAMN, SHE'S UP!". ~Member #484

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline GirlFriday

• Love One Another
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2017, 08:55:03 PM »
I found some really pretty ones on Amazon.
Proud owner of a Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, and Phone X

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2017, 02:27:37 PM »
I saw the regular folio Finite case and while bringing it up on Amazon discovered this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077NZFSWZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and decided to order one as I occasionally like the stand feature.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »
I ordered a MOKO case for my O2 that will be delivered Tuesday. I have  MOKO case for my FIRE that has held up well, though my FIRE has had little use the past few years. I have noticed that Decal Girl sells  a matching decal to the MOKO case. I will wait to see if I want to cover up the black with a decal.

Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline DaveM5090

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2018, 01:28:55 PM »
Just started another thread but Ill ask here as well. Anyone consider not using a case? I did with my Oasis 1 but not so far with 2?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2018, 03:02:34 PM »
I hope those that wanted a case for the O2 just like the original see this.

Someone posted this on mobilereads and I went and ordered one right away. Its made like the original amazon cover with the magnets to come off easy.

Although some of the reviews are confusing as they are from 2016, the newest one specifically talk about the Oasis 7 inch so I am going with that.

I got the one I linked too with the retro cats. My original suede one is pretty  scratched up and I want something a bit easier to take care off.

I'll post again when I get it on Sunday.  ;D

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2018, 03:33:39 PM »
Yes! Let us now how it works. . . the price is right, too. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
Yep, the one I got was only 20.99, some are like 22. Still not bad at all. I used points so I don't mind being the guinea pig.  ;D
So even though I read without a cover, just grabbing it along side a coffee, or lemonade can leave some spots on the tan suede. Just carrying it to my spot on the balcony. This seems to be like most of the fake leather, smooth. So I can just wipe that off. I should have gotten the moisture proof one to begin with when they still sold the original, but I didn't really like the colors then. Then it was too late. This could fill this gap that the lack of original covers left since there are no 3rd party at all that work like this one. So until now there has not been an alternative.

Offline CarolineAM

• Bay Shore, NY
    • View Profile
    • My Photography Page on Facebook
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »
For anyone interested, Oberon Design now has covers for both the original Kindle Oasis and the Kindle New Oasis (Oasis 1 and Oasis 2 respectively on their website :) )
>^..^<   CarolineAM
Kindle Voyage, Oasis, New Oasis
Kindle Fire 7" HDX and 6" HD

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2018, 06:23:49 AM »
So I got the Oasis amazon replica cover and I like it just fine. Its still a wee bit stiff so doesn't attach itself quite as well yet. I had the same issue with the orginal amazon cover. Once you work the open and close hinge part, it gets better. So that it can lay and stay flat on the back where the magnets are.

If you didn't like the original amazon cover you aren't going to like this one. They work about the same. This company added some sort of sticky silicone patch in the middle of the back part. I guess to help with it staying put. Again, my cover is still a bit stiff so it will take a couple of weeks to make all that work. So for now it doesn't stay quite as well as the original. Or I should say it stays like the original did on the first few days. I don't find the magnets any stronger as the original and do have to be a bit careful where to hold it. But since I don't read with it in the cover and only put it in in between, it does what I want it to do.
Unlike my suede leather one, this I can just wipe off. Its has a bit of a texture, but of course its fake "leather". Plastic if you will. The colors on mine "the cats" looks just like the picture, I really like it. Retro look.

Its not perfect, but as good as I can get at this point. Its the only cover out there as an option right now for those of us that need the kind that was designed for it. To take it out for reading.

I wish it would have just a wee bit stronger magnets, but I'll have to see as time goes on.

It does stink right now. That nasty plastic smell you get sometimes with new stuff. But again, I don't read with it so its not near my nose. I am sure that will go away after a while.

Offline HeatherA

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2018, 05:51:29 AM »
So I got the Oasis amazon replica cover and I like it just fine. Its still a wee bit stiff so doesn't attach itself quite as well yet. I had the same issue with the orginal amazon cover. Once you work the open and close hinge part, it gets better. So that it can lay and stay flat on the back where the magnets are.

If you didn't like the original amazon cover you aren't going to like this one. They work about the same. This company added some sort of sticky silicone patch in the middle of the back part. I guess to help with it staying put. Again, my cover is still a bit stiff so it will take a couple of weeks to make all that work. So for now it doesn't stay quite as well as the original. Or I should say it stays like the original did on the first few days. I don't find the magnets any stronger as the original and do have to be a bit careful where to hold it. But since I don't read with it in the cover and only put it in in between, it does what I want it to do.
Unlike my suede leather one, this I can just wipe off. Its has a bit of a texture, but of course its fake "leather". Plastic if you will. The colors on mine "the cats" looks just like the picture, I really like it. Retro look.

Its not perfect, but as good as I can get at this point. Its the only cover out there as an option right now for those of us that need the kind that was designed for it. To take it out for reading.

I wish it would have just a wee bit stronger magnets, but I'll have to see as time goes on.

It does stink right now. That nasty plastic smell you get sometimes with new stuff. But again, I don't read with it so its not near my nose. I am sure that will go away after a while.

Thanks for this! I just ordered my Oasis 2 and decided to order this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079DNK17S because like you, I could not find many options that were in this style. I want something I can take to the pool and not worry about getting wet and falling apart, plus easy removal. I may end up getting a sleeve as well but for now we'll see.
-HeatherA

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2018, 12:37:05 PM »
I got one of the replica cases and I like it!  It's easy on and easy off and I can see my skin on the back.  It also makes the device flat across the back so it fits in my bags better.