Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: For those who bought the New Oasis without a cover  (Read 5726 times)  

Offline Tunji99

• View Profile
For those who bought the New Oasis without a cover
« on: October 21, 2017, 09:20:14 PM »
Hi I am new here.

I couldn't justify the cost of the cover that amazon is charging so I bought the New Oasis without it. I was wondering for those of you who bought the New Kindle Oasis without a cover what you plan on doing?

Will you wait an buy a cheaper cover when one becomes available?

Are you planning on going without one? If so, aren't you worried something might happen to it? Or are they pretty durable? Did you buy the additional insurance instead?

Offline melodyyyyy

• View Profile
Re: For those who bought the New Oasis without a cover
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 04:37:48 AM »
I'm going to wait on getting a case. I'm to cheap to spend that much on a case.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 05:06:40 AM »
There are already some third party options on offer -- there's a thread about them in the Accessories forum.

I also didn't get a case because I regarded the price as too high. I figure It'll be my mostly-at-home device anyway, so can do without a cover, until I see something I like for a better price. If I do take it somewhere, there are all sorts of slip cases/sleeves that would do in a pinch -- not fitted to the device, but big enough to hold and protect the screen in a purse or whatever.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Anastayja

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 05:33:41 AM »
The only Kindle I have with a cover is my Oasis and thats because it came with one. I prefer sleeves and hate the added weight of covers. Already have my sleeve for my new Oasis and am just waiting for it to arrive.

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 06:34:02 AM »
They have very cheap and nice neoprene 7" sleeves on ebay that would fit perfectly as the fabric would accommodate it perfectly. I have a few 7" devices and they all fit perfectly. The sleeves are as cheap as 2 or 3 dollars delivered. The Kindle Fire 7" spec is pretty close as well so you can go to etsy.com and find a whole bunch of beautiful 7" sleeves that would surely fit it.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 07:47:05 AM »
I will get one of the official covers. But I couldn't decide on fabric or leather, as I can't tell from the pictures if the leather will be suede like. I prefer smooth. So I have to wait on it when others get it and tell me.  ;D

I want the cover to be as fitting and small as possible and I usually get that best with official covers. I don't like any extra flaps, corners and things like that I often see on 3rd party covers. The snap in is also a must and I want the stand also.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline lindnet

• Redding, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 08:24:27 AM »
I'll get a sleeve once there are more out there that fit this one.  It's going to be really tough to quit using the Oberon sleeves I've had for my last couple of Kindles, but I'll try to find something comparable.
Linda

Online cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 10:39:35 AM »
I have a sleeve I can use until I decide what to do. I'll wait a little while to see what third party offerings may come available. I'd want a cover made like the Amazon cover... one that snaps into place and doesn't cover the sides or entire back.

If nothing I like comes along, I'll probably go with the Amazon water-safe fabric cover in Indigo.

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline Lizzarddance

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 02:45:38 PM »
I haven't ordered a cover...yet. At first I didn't want to spend that much for a cover. I looked to see what third party covers were made for the original Oasis and it seems they are snap in instead of magnetized and it covers the entire backing. I want to skin my device and I want the skin to show from the back so it looks like I'm getting the leather cover in merlot.
Since March '08

Offline FligMupple

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 01:18:22 PM »
I only used the cover on my Oasis 1 for charging when I was travelling. Otherwise, I was on the go with just the Kindle by itself. It's been in all sorts of pockets and bags and what not. I read all over the place, around the home and trains and planes. All without the charging cover. It's still in excellent condition.

So for me at least I don't think a cover is necessary, and I didn't order one with the Oasis 2.

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 05:39:13 PM »
I always get protective cases. For my Paperwhites, the best case available was from Amazon Kindle and, yes, it was expensive. I never found a good case for my Voyage.

The only Kindle I've actually broken was at home. My Kindle isn't any safer from me at home than it is downtown.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 08:41:58 AM »
I have a sleeve that I will use until I decide about a cover.  I will probably go with a less expensive third-party option since I don't care for Amazon's origami folding cases.  Depending on the amount of fingerprints around the bezel, I will probably skin it before getting a cover.  I can't stand fingerprints and the last one was pretty shiny on the edges.
I've had a Kindle for almost 9 years and never broken one so I'm not too worried about that.  All of my devices are still in working order.

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 07:52:41 PM »
I love the neoprene zip-up sleeves, very versatile, very inexpensive. Mine have a front pocket too.

For me, since I also have a Fire tablet that's nice to read on, the light weight of my Kindles is something I value very highly and a cover adds weight.

Offline Anastayja

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
Here is my KOA2 with a sleeve since I dont use a case. 

Offline Lizzarddance

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 05:37:09 PM »

Wow that's really pretty! I cancelled my cover and already orderd a sleeve but if I had seen this one I would have ordered it instead. Bah! :(
Since March '08

Offline Anastayja

• View Profile
For those who bought the New Oasis without a cover
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 05:47:49 PM »
Wow that's really pretty! I cancelled my cover and already orderd a sleeve but if I had seen this one I would have ordered it instead. Bah! [emoji20]

Thanks. [emoji846]

There is a wonderful Etsy shop called OhKoey that has awesome sleeves. I had this one custom made. If you end up looking for another sleeve in the future you should definitely check them out.

Offline Lizzarddance

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 05:50:15 PM »
Thanks. [emoji846]

There is a wonderful Etsy shop called OhKoey that has awesome sleeves. I had this one custom made. If you end up looking for another sleeve in the future you should definitely check them out.

Oh thank you so much Anastayja! I'm going to check it out. I might just get one anyway.
Since March '08

Offline Anastayja

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 05:57:01 PM »
Oh thank you so much Anastayja! I'm going to check it out. I might just get one anyway.

Let me know if you do. Would love to see it.

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 06:16:09 PM »
I don't see any sleeves available on Amazon unfortunately.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 07:33:19 PM »
I don't see any sleeves available on Amazon unfortunately.

Likely they'll show up before too long. The vendors couldn't really make them before they had units in hand to design around. I expect by the end of November there will be plenty. Now, you'd just have to pick a generic one based on dimensions.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 04:09:44 AM »
My hands were not made for fine work with things that are lightweight and thin. I have to have a good cover. I ordered an Oasis and a cloth cover from Amazon in Mexico. The Oasis arrived and I was told the cover might come at the end of the year. I've dropped the Oasis twice, sitting in the bed both times, but I rarely read in bed.

So, the order for the cover has been cancelled and I'll be returning the Oasis this afternoon.  There was one feature of the Oasis that might lead me to order one some time in the future and that's the ability to increase the size of the system font. On the other hand, the inability to sip it into my pocket is a negative.

So, for now, I'm reading, quite happily, on my Paperwhite. FWIW, the last great case/cover was, in my opinion, the Amazon Paperwhite cover. It protects the device and gives me something to hold onto. I sincerely appreciate Amazon Kindle including Paperwhite 3 in the recent firmware updates.

Offline Deskisamess

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 05:06:26 AM »
I bought a neoprene zippered case to use until I get a cover. The Amazon covers are expensive and I don't care for the origami way it props in the back. They are also getting terrible reviews for weak magnets.

I ordered a third party cover that is being shipped from China...so I won't have it until later this month. I will most likely buy a Fintie or Moko cover once they release them.

In the meantime, I have a large rubber band running from corner to corner on the back of the Oasis. This gives me something to slip my fingers under on the back when helps to hold it. I also ordered a textured skin for the back from Skinomi that should help with grip.

Other than the original Paperwhite cover from Amazon, I have been disappointed in Amazon branded covers and have returned every one I've purchased. They are way too pricey and usually on the cheap side as well.

As an aside...am I going to have to answer the verification questions every single time I post or edit a post? What a pain.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:08:05 AM by Deskisamess »

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 10:44:05 AM »
I will most likely buy a Fintie or Moko cover once they release them.

My Oasis isn't coming until Thanksgiving, and one of the reasons I'm not rushing to get one sooner through Best Buy is cover. I ordered the Amazon cover in Merlot but didn't realize it's suede. So the minute I get it it's going back whether the magnets are strong or not. My hope is Fintie will have a cover available by the time I get the Oasis. I had a Fintie cover for my Voyage, and while it was book style and I preferred a standup cover, it was very light and a great cover. That no longer matters for me as I can't hold a Kindle any more without causing major hand pain and have to prop it up to read. I worked out a system for my Oasis 1 and have stands that will work for the new Oasis too.

Offline kerrycrow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 07:03:07 PM »
I agree with poster above.  I bought it without the cover also. 
I traded in my Oasis 1 , so I am suffering ha ha right now with just a Fire.
The whole charging cover thing for me did not work so I am hoping on this iteration to have a just a sleeve again. 
We all see how it feels.

Offline Lizzarddance

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 03:10:20 PM »
Let me know if you do. Would love to see it.

After much back and forth I finally decided on this, https://www.etsy.com/listing/161800851/kindle-cover-padded-kindle-case-nook?ref=shop_home_active_9

I also just received this one https://www.etsy.com/listing/96640084/kindle-case-for-kindle-paperwhite-kindle?ref=shop_home_active_12

Now I just wish I had a Kindle to go with it. I have to wait till the end of the month.
Since March '08