Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: For those who bought the New Oasis without a cover  (Read 5638 times)  

Offline Anastayja

• View Profile
Re: For those who bought the New Oasis without a cover
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »
After much back and forth I finally decided on this, https://www.etsy.com/listing/161800851/kindle-cover-padded-kindle-case-nook?ref=shop_home_active_9

I also just received this one https://www.etsy.com/listing/96640084/kindle-case-for-kindle-paperwhite-kindle?ref=shop_home_active_12

Now I just wish I had a Kindle to go with it. I have to wait till the end of the month.

Very nice Lizzarddance. Love them both!

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile

Offline MsSteph

• keep it simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 12:26:47 PM »
The new Amazon covers are getting Slaughtered in reviews. Can't believe they released such a product.

And one review said ...and nearly worst of all is that you literally cannot hold onto the slick and slippery oasis 2 without some sort of gripping aid. i understand the cell model has a rubber area, but my wifi one is all slick all the time.

I do agree that some sort of gripping aid is needed here, I do not care for the slippery surface of my new Oasis one bit.

But is this true?  Was the cell model different than the wifi model?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 02:32:21 PM »
I can't see why the model with cell service would have a different back than the one without. That just makes no sense to me.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2017, 05:15:37 PM »
The 3G model does have a strip inset along the side where the buttons are. It has something to do with the signal or some thing. I only read about it so I don't know the technical stuff, but some of the reviews do mention it and they talked about that on mobilereads. I don't find it too slippery, but I think I am going to get a Quest decalgirl for mine, which will go well with the tan leather cover. ;D

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2017, 05:35:34 PM »
The 3G model does have a strip inset along the side where the buttons are. It has something to do with the signal or some thing. I only read about it so I don't know the technical stuff, but some of the reviews do mention it and they talked about that on mobilereads. I don't find it too slippery, but I think I am going to get a Quest decalgirl for mine, which will go well with the tan leather cover. ;D

Huh. I can't imagine why that would be necessary . . . . are there pictures anywhere, or an explanation?

eta: found some. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291761

The first post has some pictures; later in the thread is an explanation. I guess it makes sense. The sticky grippy things I bought work well for me and way cheaper than paying for 3G that I don't really want. ::) :D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:40:38 PM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2017, 05:40:55 PM »
There were some pictures, but I can't recall now where I saw them. It was like a black strip inset along the side with the buttons.

Ah, here is one from slashgear, scroll down to the pic

https://www.slashgear.com/amazon-kindle-oasis-review-2017-31506088/

I made the picture a little smaller. :) --Ann
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:51:18 PM by Ann in Arlington »

Offline Lizzarddance

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2017, 06:02:23 PM »
I wonder if putting a skin on it will affect it? I guess I'll find out when they become available.
Since March '08

Offline BeeTee-Ess

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 07:09:35 PM »
Roll on, Decalgirl!
Regards...

Bernard

Offline avivs

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2017, 11:14:34 PM »
I was worried when I heard about the aluminum back. It sounds premium, but I'm not looking for a good look, I want to hold the device for hours and not feel like it's falling from my grip.
The fact that people need to look for ways to "fix" the device just shows me that Amazon didn't get it right this time. Comfort before style, always.

Offline spiritedcharm

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2017, 08:28:06 AM »
I was worried when I heard about the aluminum back. It sounds premium, but I'm not looking for a good look, I want to hold the device for hours and not feel like it's falling from my grip.
The fact that people need to look for ways to "fix" the device just shows me that Amazon didn't get it right this time. Comfort before style, always.

I disagree about Amazon not getting it right. I love the new Oasis and dont feel its too slippery to hold at all. I find it very balanced and comfortable. Some people are just more particular than others.

Offline Lizzarddance

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2017, 09:17:14 AM »
I emailed Decal Girl about there being a difference between the Wifi and 4G model and here is what they said:

Hello,

I am so sorry since we do not have the skins ready yet for the new Kindle Oasis I am not sure what the coverage would be however if there is a rubber martial on the device the skin most likely will not stick to the rubber so it would not be covered by the skin.

Hello,

I am so sorry since we do not have the skins ready yet for the new Kindle Oasis I am not sure what the coverage would be however if there is a rubber martial on the device the skin most likely will not stick to the rubber so it would not be covered by the skin.

Since March '08

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »
It should be noted that the rubber on the edge of the cellular model is hard rubber.  To me it feels like the aluminum back and provides no extra grip.  I believe it is hard and smooth enough to take a decal.
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »
I disagree about Amazon not getting it right. I love the new Oasis and dont feel its too slippery to hold at all. I find it very balanced and comfortable. Some people are just more particular than others.

It is not necessarily a matter of being particular, hands come in all sorts of different dimensions and proportions, and one size does not fit all with any device. In some cases, comfort will develop with practice, in others mitigation may be useful.

I held one for a few minutes on a visit to Amazon Books, and it was not love at first grip - I am sure I could figure out how to get there if I ever get one. Maybe a little well-placed duct tape?

Offline Scarpad

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2017, 08:15:19 AM »
I completely agree with this.  $250 + tax is too much to pay for a Kindle that, for me, is uncomfortable to hold.  Not sure I will keep mine, I might rather wait to see if Amazon can improve with next years model.

I think they should have made the back Rubberized for a better grip, i guess they had to justify the price somehow , even the ipad is too slippery with its aluminum back it needs a case

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2017, 08:57:47 AM »
I would have preferred a nicer color but ordered this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0771GQ3X3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know how good it will be, but it should cover the entire back, and cost with shipping about 1/4 the cost of the "official" cover

Offline Lizzarddance

• Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2017, 05:16:23 PM »
Just noticed that the cover has been reduced to $39.99.
Since March '08

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2017, 05:15:41 AM »
Just noticed that the cover has been reduced to $39.99.

If you're talking about the Amazon covers, I'm still seeing them at $45 and $60, though there are some used ones for sale.

Hang on -- I use the 'honey' plug in on Firefox and it does look like they very briefly yesterday went down to $30 and $40 respectively in the US.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2017, 06:46:05 AM »
I see all the covers out of stock. One the leather, all 2 colors say 1-2 months and the fabric says temporary out of stock.

I use the camelizer and I do not see any price reduction in the price history, other than 3rd party.

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2017, 06:56:33 AM »
There will be third party covers within a few weeks. I generally go with Finte. They seem to have better quality control than the usual generic Chinese clones.

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2017, 08:06:19 AM »
Unless I have my Oasis in a stand I read out of the case.  So a case has to be easy to remove.  The ones that have you snap the Kindle into a case are not for me.  I am surprised at the number of people who read in the case.  To me the Oasis series was designed to hold one handed out of the case.

I did get my Decal Gal skin, matte carbon, on it yesterday.  It does feel less cold and a slight amount of better grip.
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline Deskisamess

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2017, 10:06:27 AM »
I did get my Decal Gal skin, matte carbon, on it yesterday.  It does feel less cold and a slight amount of better grip.

So they have the 2017 Oasis skins now? When I looked the other day, there were two Oasis  models listed for skins, but no way to tell if the one with no year designation was for the new one.

Offline Anastayja

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2017, 02:07:45 PM »
So they have the 2017 Oasis skins now? When I looked the other day, there were two Oasis  models listed for skins, but no way to tell if the one with no year designation was for the new one.

I ordered yesterday and they now have Kindle Oasis 2017 listed.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:18:00 PM by Ann in Arlington »

Offline jkingrph

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2017, 05:12:37 AM »
I just saw on another forum where the price of the Kindle Oasis 2017 covers had the price reduced by $15 and $20 for cloth and leather respectively.  I cancelled my existing order and reordered at the new price, just to be sure to lock it in.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:14:55 AM by jkingrph »