Kindle Forum banner

Can only add one book at a time to collections, then need to restart

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JainaSJedi 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am having a recent problem with my Kindle Voyage (firmare 5.8.10) in regards to collections. The Kindle seems to lock up after each book I add to a collection. Then, I cannot open the book or return to the home screen. The only thing I can do is restart the Kindle. It's a huge pain because I literally add one book to a collection, then restart the Kindle, add another book to a collection, then restart the Kindle, and so on. This has just started happening and I have no idea how to fix it. The screen stays on the 'check the box to add to a collection screen'. After I hit the 'done' button, the Kindle does not return to the home screen. I utilize collections extensively because my library is large and I do not want to reset the Kindle back to factory settings. Any ideas on how to fix?

#2 ·
I have noticed, as my Voyage has gotten fuller, that it is definitely slower to add a book to a collection -- when I finish reading I generally add the book to my 'read it' collection and it does take a couple of minutes to do that before it goes back to the home screen. It's never frozen, though, to where I need to restart. How much free space do you have on the Voyage? I've noticed with all the kindles I've had over the years that if it's more than about half full, responsiveness does slow down when doing organization functions. And it seems to be worse the more collections I have.

If you are moving several books at a time, rather than touching the title and doing 'add to collection', it's faster to go to the collection and touch, 'add titles'. Then you'll see the list of books on your kindle and you can toggle checkmarks on whatever ones you want to be put in that collection. You can select as many as you want and then press done and give it a couple of minutes to do its thing.

Even faster is to do it via the 'your content and devices' area under 'your account' on Amazon. You can basically move 10 things at a time into a collection. Or, even if you just go down book by book and do it one by one it's pretty quick. The next time you sync your device, all the collecting you have done should show.

Incidentally, all the collecting you do, whether on the device or via the website, will 'stick'. So if you get a new kindle or do have to do a factory reset, all those books are still collected. You just have to set up the new/reset device with the collections you want on it and then send the books and they'll go the right place.

#4 ·
I do have a lot of books on there. 1500+. I use Calibre to organize my ebooks on my computer and use it to transfer books to my Kindle. I do not use any of the Amazon services. The Kindle does seem to have significantly more lag every time I add more books to it. And I haven'e been patient enough to wait minutes for it to return to the home screen. I did try add books to a collection within the collection. That seemed to work better than adding each book one at a time. I just wish the system was faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.