KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Mailchimp switching all signup forms to single opt-in  (Read 2883 times)  

Offline Mylius Fox

• Cognitive syntactical wizard.
    • View Profile
Mailchimp switching all signup forms to single opt-in
« on: October 24, 2017, 01:56:24 PM »
Just got the email. It'll be like that by default, and I was just wondering if I should leave it or manually set it back to double opt-in. Doesn't double opt-in help with not getting reported for spam later on?

Offline ibizwiz

• View Profile
Re: Mailchimp switching all signup forms to single opt-in
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
As one of the grandfathers of double-opt-in, this news hurts. I advise doing all possible to pre-qualify newsletter and list subscribers. Thanks for the heads up. If possible, could some Mailchimp user post the memo? 

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 02:08:13 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I don't check the email I use for MailChimp often, so I probably wouldn't have seen this by the end of the month. I kept it as double opt in, for all the same reasons I made it double opt-in in the first place. (I don't remember the specifics of those reasons, TBH, since once I make a decision, I often don't bother keeping the details that led me to that decision cluttering my brain. Sherlock Holmes-style.) I think it was mostly about not getting reported as spam as easily, and the general concept that a person should definitely be the one signing themselves up, whereas single opt-in could theoretically let people sign other people up.

Online Lydniz

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Credentials
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 02:11:45 PM »
I got this and immediately went and reset it to double opt-in. I got a load of fake signups last year (possibly due to accidentally not having the double opt-in on my website) that ruined a launch and nearly got me kicked off Mailchimp, so I have no idea why they think this is a good idea.

Offline Gregg Bell

• Itasca, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • greggbell.net
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 02:13:41 PM »
Here's the email I got:

"When people agree with me I always feel that I must be wrong." Oscar Wilde
Gregg Bell | Website | Amazon author page | Blog | Twitter | Google+ | Facebook

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
Hah, you beat me to it! Yah, I got that too and wondered WTH?

Offline Lynna

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 02:18:06 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I don't check the email I use for MailChimp often, so I probably wouldn't have seen this by the end of the month. I kept it as double opt in, for all the same reasons I made it double opt-in in the first place. (I don't remember the specifics of those reasons, TBH, since once I make a decision, I often don't bother keeping the details that led me to that decision cluttering my brain. Sherlock Holmes-style.) I think it was mostly about not getting reported as spam as easily, and the general concept that a person should definitely be the one signing themselves up, whereas single opt-in could theoretically let people sign other people up.

Same. Then there's also the fact that I'm lazy and on my website I say it's a double opt-in list to help make sure people only get on it if they want on it and it just seemed easier to check the boxes and click update than to change my website.

Offline C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 02:18:33 PM »
Is this really so bad? My impression was that many readers don't know about double opt-in and believe that entering their email address once is enough. So in the end, they're not signed up at all.

Maybe an easy-peasy 'click here to unsubscribe' link at the beginning of each newsletter would help avert any problems? I only ever flag emails as spam if I can't find the unsubscribe button.

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline Lynna

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 02:23:07 PM »
Is this really so bad? My impression was that many readers don't know about double opt-in and believe that entering their email address once is enough. So in the end, they're not signed up at all.

Maybe an easy-peasy 'click here to unsubscribe' link at the beginning of each newsletter would help avert any problems? I only ever flag emails as spam if I can't find the unsubscribe button.

Throwing an unsubscribe at the top is a good practice anyway and I would recommend everyone do it just by default. I prefer double opt-in as both a list owner and a subscriber. Bots sign up for lists and I don't want to see my list overrun with garbage emails. Plus, eventually, it costs money. I don't cull subscribers, so I definitely don't want to open the door for junk addresses if I can do anything to help it. Double opt-in helps it.

(I've been culled by well-meaning list owners and it irritates the  p*ss  out of me as a subscriber.)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:26:39 PM by Lynna »

Offline Dan C. Rinnert

• Unposts: 39
  • ⚠ Run! ⚠
    • View Profile
    • Dan C. Rinnert
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »
I would keep it confirmed opt-in.

Double opt-in is a misnomer.  You're not opting-in twice.  You're signing up, receiving a confirmation that you signed up (which also serves to confirm the eMail address works; i.e., no typos, etc.) and then confirming everything is a-okay.

With unconfirmed opt-in, you really have no idea if the owner of the eMail address really subscribed to the list.  You will have a higher risk of spam reports as a result because there is nothing preventing anyone from submitting any eMail to subscribe to your list.  I know that if I get mail from a list I did not subscribe to, I do not unsubscribe--I flag it as spam.

If MailChimp is making unconfirmed opt-in their default, I have to wonder how that is going to affect their deliverability in the future as spam reports from MailChimp eMail addresses increase.  This is one of those things that seems like a very bad idea to me.

Offline Lynna

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 02:37:38 PM »
If MailChimp is making unconfirmed opt-in their default, I have to wonder how that is going to affect their deliverability in the future as spam reports from MailChimp eMail addresses increase.  This is one of those things that seems like a very bad idea to me.

Here's something I found on their blog in a post about new forms:

These pop-up forms now give you the choice to make your forms single or double opt-in. And on October 31, the rest of MailChimps form options will offer that choice, too. Single opt-in has been a popular request from our customers over the years, and we wanted to provide you with the flexibility to choose the opt-in method that makes sense for your business. You can set your lists opt-in preferences in your settings.

With single opt-in, your subscribers will be able to enter their email address and join your list in one simple step. Weve also made the success message editable, so you can provide a quick message to your new subscribers after signup.

Link: https://blog.mailchimp.com/fresh-new-pop-up-forms-to-grow-your-list/

Reading between the lines (and I could be totally wrong), I think they decided to offer this single opt-in as an option but the only way to make it work reliably probably meant they had to set all the old forms to single. By requiring us to choose, we're probably going into a queue that's getting ported over to the double. And for new stuff, you choose which you prefer as you set up your forms.

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 02:41:28 PM »

I have that concern as well.

Offline Gator

• Half price? Tattoo a pegasus on each shoulder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 03:41:10 PM »
I got a load of fake signups last year (possibly due to accidentally not having the double opt-in on my website) that ruined a launch and nearly got me kicked off Mailchimp, so I have no idea why they think this is a good idea.

Money.  The more obstacles placed in front of each potential subscriber, the fewer subscribers you'll have, and the less Mailchimp can charge you each month.  The more subscribers you obtain, the more Mailchimp can charge you each month.

• Ontario, Canada
  • I should probably be writing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 03:45:21 PM »
Yeah, this is total bs.

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 04:52:59 PM »
This is bad news. Scammers will flood the platform, spam sign-ups will soar, we'll no longer have the free thank you emails to dole out freebies or whatever, deliverability will fall along with open rates, etc.

But MailChimp will make more as it pushes us further towards automation and boosts our lists so we send more email. More email of lower quality, that's what everyone wants, right?

Right?

David Gaughran | mailing list | blog | website | facebook | twitter
LET'S GET DIGITAL 2 Free for purchasers of the 1st edition! Instructions here

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 05:09:58 PM »
I really don't see the problem.

You can still change.

Double optin severely reduces signups when accessed through mobile phones. I've been using single optin through Mailerlite for two years. No flood of spam reports, no flood of useless subscribers.

Instafreebie and Bookfunnel signups are single optin anyway.

And you can still use double optin if you want.

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 05:12:45 PM »
My fears are less surrounding what good actors will do, but what bad actors do with the freedom that single opt-in affords - because that will affect MailChimp's overall deliverability.

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
My fears are less surrounding what good actors will do, but what bad actors do with the freedom that single opt-in affords - because that will affect MailChimp's overall deliverability.

Mailchimps overall deliverability is much overrated. When I changed from Mailchimp to Mailerlite, my open rates jumped 10 percentage points.

TBH I just think that this is Mailchimp getting with the times. Double optin is a major pain in the butt is you really want the newsletter, but you're on mobile.

Offline dgaughran

• Dublin
  • Let's Get Digital
    • View Profile
    • David Gaughran
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 05:22:22 PM »
I'm tempted to do my next send to unopens from Mailerlite to see if that shakes a few extra loose.

Offline Mylius Fox

• Cognitive syntactical wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 05:39:08 PM »
Is Mailerlite the service that just had that big snafu with loss of automation sequence data, or am I confusing it with something else?

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 07:04:06 PM »
If your double opt in either doesn't let me sign up on mobile or makes me jump thru CAPTCHA hoops, I decide I don't want your list all that much after all.

Offline Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 07:06:39 PM »
Is Mailerlite the service that just had that big snafu with loss of automation sequence data...?

Yup.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 07:26:13 PM »
TBH I just think that this is Mailchimp getting with the times. Double optin is a major pain in the butt is you really want the newsletter, but you're on mobile.

Can someone assume I'm a tech dunce (not a big leap from reality, sadly) and explain why double opt-in makes it harder for mobile sign ups?

I went straight in and clicked to be double opt-in because I understood that was industry standard best practice, but it sounds like there's not agreement on that, after all. I also admit it's because it's the easier thing to do for now since everything is currently set up to let people know that's how it works and I give my list magnet in the thank you email. Does anyone know if the automated thank you email needs to be reset up, or if it will just stay the same if you choose to stick with double opt-in?

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »
Does anyone know why MC is changing course? Weren't they the ones who led the required double opt-in PLUS Captcha requirements? When I got the email today I was shocked. Seems like a huge turnaround for fighting SPAMS.

Offline Tulonsae

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 10:37:26 PM »
I'm not sure how the double opt-in is hard for mobile. I sign up for double opt-in on my cell phone without any issues. Are you saying that most people don't have email access on their mobile devices? (Even my non-techie friends can read their email on their phones.)